Is there a reason for a maximum channel limit of 48?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alpax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alpax
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts

I could not find this on the FAQ sticky, I ran into a issue of maxing out on channels last night.

I have

1. Disc Channel

2. Photo Channel

3. Shop Channel

4. Everyone Votes Channel

5. Web Browser Channel

6. News Channel

7. Mii Channel

8. Weather Channel

9. Forty (40) Virtual Console games 

I was going to get Zelda II and Dead Moon last night, but the download button is disabled stating that I must delete or move channels to an SD card. I was assuming that the Wii would create another 12-channel page after the first 4 12-channel page was full, but it does not.  I was wondering if there was a specific reason of why the limit is 48? I got 153 blocks left in my internal system memory, still room for at least 4 more VC games. I do not like backing things up since it takes a really long time to transfer VC games (even the 25 block NES ones) on a 120x speed SD Card, but it looks like I have to. I actually own the rights to 47 VC games, and I have 7 of them stored on a SD card (the ones I beat).

minus_273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 minus_273
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts
i dont see a technical reason. they probably just decided to do it that way so that there arent an overwhlming number of channels.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts
Sorry I can't help you.
Are you saying that each VC game takes up a whole channel?  I've never bought a VC game, but I assumed all the games you buy would go into a channel for the syatem it was on, or into a central VC channel. 
So, each game gets its own channel?
Spelunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spelunker
Member since 2002 • 11428 Posts

Sorry I can't help you.
Are you saying that each VC game takes up a whole channel? I've never bought a VC game, but I assumed all the games you buy would go into a channel for the syatem it was on, or into a central VC channel.
So, each game gets its own channel?Conjuration

Yup.  It's a little bass-ackwards.  A firmware upgrade that allows you to organize VC games by console, for example, is in dire need.  Not only would it keep you from running out of channels, but when you've got 40 VC games, and you can't drill down into a specific game, it can make finding the game you want rather onerous. 

m_1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m_1116
Member since 2007 • 58 Posts
Hmm... I didn't even think that the wii's memory could hold that many VC games. Good to know I guess.
gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
Typically if developers are dealing with limited memory, they do not what to dynamically expand if they do not have to.  To create even a blank page to store channels will require memory to be used, and additional code to be written.  Project Manager also have to determine the percentage of people that will actually need this new page, and weigh the costs to adding this feature.  If only 10% of your audience is going to hit this limit, then the risks of implementing these changes is too great.
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts

I was hoping for a new "folder" for VC games to be released before you could max out the channel slots. It didn't happen, and now I would like a way to organize them.

Here is hoping ot a firmware update!

clarkeyboy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 clarkeyboy21
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts
There is no reason just that thats all it holds, they will probably get hard drive add ons in the future.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
Why not just deleete the VC games you're not playing? It's not like you'll never have them again. You can download them for free later.
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Why not just deleete the VC games you're not playing? It's not like you'll never have them again. You can download them for free later.ZebethOrZebes

Exactly what I was going to put.  Take some games you aren't playing anymore and delete them.  If for some reason you want to play them later you can just delete another one to free up a page and download it for no cost.  40 VC games...DANG MAN!  That's a few hundred bucks! Life must be good.

alpax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alpax
Member since 2006 • 696 Posts

[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]Why not just deleete the VC games you're not playing? It's not like you'll never have them again. You can download them for free later.roboccs

Exactly what I was going to put. Take some games you aren't playing anymore and delete them. If for some reason you want to play them later you can just delete another one to free up a page and download it for no cost. 40 VC games...DANG MAN! That's a few hundred bucks! Life must be good.

It looks like I have no other choice but to do that, lately I did not have much time to play the games I bought, so I kept on adding the games to my channels, it takes 10 - 15 minutes to back up a VC game so I have been laying off backing up the games. The VC has been the primary motivation for me to get a Wii since I never had to opportunity to play a bunch of the classics in the past, and all those games are worth about 5 spanking new Wii releases, I do not have very many games for the system itself.

Edit: Turns out that redownloading a game is much quicker, I will probably resort to that. Thanks guys

jsrock_on54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 jsrock_on54
Member since 2003 • 627 Posts
they should make channels for each system, that would help
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

The Wii has a finite amount of memory, how could it have an infinte amount of channels?  The people who built the Wii came up with 48 channels, and they probably had good technical reasons.  I doubt this is what they said.

Engineer1: How many channels should we have?

Engineer2: How many channels can we have?

Engineer1: 500.

Engineer2: That's too many, it should only have 48.

Engineer1: Why 48?

Engineer2: Because my birthday is April 8th.

Engineer1: That's good enough for me.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
They said you would be able to make folders and orginize them but I dont know if you can do that yet or if it will be in a update.
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

lol, you need more stuff to do rather than playing virtual console