Is the switch a bust or a win for nintendo?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a6df0eb65902
deactivated-5a6df0eb65902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5a6df0eb65902
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

i'm not sure about this but I think this will be a success for nintendo. Nintendo got the 3rd party games back. If they can keep the third party games with them and have strong 1st party games then yeah money for nintendo.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

It's been 2 days. Let's give it some time shall we?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

At least the Switch will not be another Wii U according to initial reports. If it is, we will be very disappointed at Nintendo who promised to do better.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

too early....

honestly....zelda alone justifies its existence.....but its on wiiU too so...

if mario odyssey is as good as zelda then...oh my

still to be a win....in my eyes requires many many more games....this first year alone doesnt cut it.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@ericsimoneauyt: Depends if they fix the left joy con issue quickly, or if they draw it out. Until they fix it, I will not recommend the system. If they do right by it...I will be in their corner. They almost lost me with the no power adaptor for the 3DS.

They will have some great first party titles as we see with Zelda, but I am not so sold on how well they are doing with the 3rd party support. Yes, we have seen a few titles spoken about, and have seen a list, but we did with the Wii U as well, and then they all started backing out. I hope we don't see that again...assuming the fix the joy con issue.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

I had to wonder how can the Joy-Con issue be fixed. Can it be fixed using a system update or just by recalling the affected Joy-Cons?

I am surprised that Nintendo did not see this problem before the system was released, but I assume that can be said about PC developers unaware of bugs in their games.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mgools

@onesiphorus: I have a bad feeling this is hardware. But I hope I am wrong.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 958 Posts

@mgools: i seen a article on twitter that stated the problem is most likely hardware...but i didnt have time to read it. When i get a chance i will see if i can find it again and post it here.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Hard to say

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black96Z
Member since 2007 • 958 Posts

@mgools: http://nintendoeverything.com/another-look-into-the-left-joy-con-connectivity-issues-could-be-hardware-related/

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mgools

@Black96Z: thanks for the link. Let's see how Nintendo handles this. This is really concerning as this would be almost impossible to miss during quality testing.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

@Black96Z: I doubt its hardware, its not something that could be missed. All these Switch events, previews etc. and no one had one syncing issue? Seems rather unlikely such a widespread hardware issue would have somehow avoided everyone. Its software, the OS changed from the preview events, so that is likely what is causing the problem.

As far as whether the system is a success or not; its had a great launch. We wont know if its a success until at the very least through the summer, to see if sales stay consistent.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Too early to tell give it a month or two or a year. :P

Jimbobthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Jimbobthon
Member since 2009 • 63 Posts

It's only been a few days. Even the WiiU had decent opening sales, but now it's down to the marketing and what games come to the system. Basically, it's down to Nintendo and other developers to harness the early sales figures and keep them coming in.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

This is not a troll, but an observation based on facts:

I've been watching unbiased and trusted youtube vids that pit Switch against Xbone and PS4.

They show quite clearly that Switch is close to PS3 in performance, and falls far behind when compared to current gen.

These vids prove Switch looks and performs like it's about 5 years behind in tech compared to PS4/Xbone. Despite what the tech looks like on paper.

Add to this the numerous hardware defects people are complaining about in different forums...

Bottom line is that Switch is a failure. Again, this is not a troll, but a fact. I know it hurts, if you love Nintendo, but sooner you face the facts, sooner it stops hurting.

Prior launch, I used to joke Switch was gonna be just a powered up WiiU. It saddens me how close to the truth I came to be.

What angers me most about this situation is that thousands of Nintendo fanboys refuse to face these facts. Instead, they keep making youtube vids and 'reviews' that praise Switch in a most blatant and dishonest way possible. They lie to the public. They con people into buying a defective piece of hardware. And that is wrong. Shame on you.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

It's a temporary success. The current lineup of games coming is weak... Mario Kart 8 (again), Street Fighter II, Arms... this is supposed to hold until the Winter? Maybe Splatoon 2 this summer?

If I was planning it, have another major release by Summer.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11675 Posts

Well after a long think I'm going to wait for a superior model, the launch Switch just has too many flaws to be worth it in my opinion. It's almost begging for the DSi/ New 3DS treatment early_

And it pains me to state that because I really want to play Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. And it's not like the PS4 Pro or Scorpio being all about a resolution gimmick. The Switch has serious issues with its docking mode on almost every game recorded, and the infamous battery life for more beefy games in handheld mode.

I think the Switch itself is a great idea, it just needs a premium model to make it shine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

It is definitely a treat to have and by having its own screen, it basically replaced my 3DS. I mean the system is barebones, yet it was soooo worth the $320 I dropped on it, and the $20 in screen protectors I got for it. Well bought a cheap $6 protector til my nice one comes. Basically I'll invest in it later once it has stuff going for it. I have no doubt that this will be a must have for back-2-school kids, college students and a top Christmas Item.

I'm playing Wildlands, and when in down time or doing stuff around the house I end up jamming on the Switch. Basically if you counted up the hours I wasted playing stupid mobile apps on my tablet, and the time I put on 3DS during down time between things, we're talking ALL going to console gaming time. It isn't like 3DS can't hang, but something changed. In 2013-2015 I loved playing apps on my tablet, now I can't stand them. 3DS was awesome the last couple years, but even the best games are outdated or considered "smaller" or just "weaker" compared to what Switch will offer.

Winnipeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Winnipeg
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

I think it is a win, we are really crazy about it and there are a lot of gamers waiting for the rest of games.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@ericsimoneauyt said:

i'm not sure about this but I think this will be a success for nintendo. Nintendo got the 3rd party games back. If they can keep the third party games with them and have strong 1st party games then yeah money for nintendo.

They need to look at their catalog history and dig in the vaults. Gamers need all the series and franchises available to make a return. They need GAMES GAMES GAMES. The gaming industry needs Nintendo to do well this go round. If gamers support the tablet and it seems that many are Nintendo needs to back it with games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5a6df0eb65902

Yeah let's wait when third party games like madden come out

cooldigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cooldigit
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

It has a headphone jack, so certainly a win.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I feel they weren't feeling Wii U so never ran with it.

I think with Switch, they now have the confidence to throw all of their money, time and work into it, willing to take risks, and go above and beyond for it. Whether 20 million or 80 million people buy it, I totally think that that they believe it is a success!

trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#25 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

I think asking this question is pretty nuts this close to release. Give it at least a few months.

endersdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 endersdragon
Member since 2013 • 207 Posts

Every Nintendo handheld is in the top 10 best selling systems of all time selling between 62 million (and counting) and 150 million... no reason to believe this won't have a similar amount of success other than the shrinking gaming market which is affecting everyone

supertangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 supertangent
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I think it will be a win, but I have yet to play on one. I can't wait to pick one up of my own! #nintendoforever

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

@ericsimoneauyt: Until that happens the Switch will be a 'side console' for many gamers. I have a Wii U, but also have a PS4. Simply wanted the Wii U for the Nintendo exclusives. If Nintendo regains the 3rd party support it had on the SNES, I'd seriously consider dropping Sony. But - with the exclusives on the Playstation (The Last of Us, Uncharted, etc....) not sure if I could ever do that. Probably waiting until Christmas to pick up a Switch. Want more than 1 must play game available.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

Seven people I work with got a Switch, and most of them didn't have a WiiU. One of them I convinced to buy one just by bringing mine in and showing him Zelda for 10 minutes. I know one other person is going to buy one after he finishes Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'd say it's getting a way more positive view than the WiiU.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5a6df0eb65902

@gopre: yeah Zelda is the only big game aside from Mario Kart on the switch, I'd wait until the holidays when more games come out like NBA 2k18, Madden 18, FIFA, and Mario oddusy