Is the premium Wii U worth it over the basic?

kramernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kramernic
Member since 2010 • 131 Posts

hey guys the premium set is quite a bit more, I know that it comes with a bigger hard drive and extra bits and pieces. But are those worth it, I mean you have to get an extra hard drive for it anyway, 32 GB is nothing.

Thanks

thinkcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thinkcap
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

Depends a lot on whether or not you want to have Nintendo Land and a Gamepad stand with your console. With the Digital Deluxe program coming to an end (exclusive to premium Wii Us) the basic bundle does have more appeal. I regret getting the basic because 32 gbs probably would last me a few years before needing an external hard drive. Anyway the premium Wii U does have better value, I hope I`ve helped a little.

kramernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kramernic
Member since 2010 • 131 Posts

@thinkcap: so there is digital content that comes with the premium? I didn't realise that. Is it just Nintendo Land?

I already have an external drive available, if I got one, that's the reason why I'm not worried about the onboard GB.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@kramernic said:

@thinkcap: so there is digital content that comes with the premium? I didn't realise that. Is it just Nintendo Land?

I already have an external drive available, if I got one, that's the reason why I'm not worried about the onboard GB.

When Wii U launched they had a Deluxe Digital Promotion paired with the 32GB model. When you bought anything on the eshop you would get points for it. For every $50 you spent you got $5 back. It was like a 10% cash back program. Unfortunately that program expired at the end of 2014. So the only major benefit are the things you listed. If you already have a external HDD you are willing to pair with your Wii U then I would suggest going with the cheaper option.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NoZakuBoy09
Member since 2015 • 141 Posts

I'm getting the 8GB white model skylanders bundle in a couple of weeks. Because its different color than my other consoles which are all standard black.

Was never huge on downloadable games, especially downloading full retail modern games that eat at your hard drive space. I'll end up getting an external hard drive at some point though probably, because I'll be downloading some class NES, SNES, GBA games from virtual console. Only ones I'm planning on downloading this month when I get the console though are Mega Man 1 and Super Metroid.

SkyHighGam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SkyHighGam3r
Member since 2015 • 4788 Posts

It is absolutely NOT worth it to get the 8gb model.

One of the first system updates released took up 4gb of space. There goes half your HDD space if you own an 8gb.

Why is that a big deal? Your basically only going to be able to hold 1 digital full sized Wii game on that HDD after that.

Unless you get the release of Metroid Prime Trilogy (Which you should) Which was a Dual Layer game and takes up over 7gb of space.) You won't be able to hold that at all.

32 GB will serve you well.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoZakuBoy09
Member since 2015 • 141 Posts

Not too concerned with downloading games myself. It's only if the updates come close to or even exceed the total space, then THAT's a problem.

Barring ridiculous update sizes, I'm fine with just taking my time in getting an external. I already saw some pretty damn cheap ones on ebay and someone on gamespot recommended this thing only $26.00 for double the space of the premium WiiU black model. http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-064G-B35/dp/B00FJRS6QY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422722969&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+cruzer+fit

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

get the basic and a separate harddrive if you want to download a decent amount of games from the eshop....

the deluxe if you just want to download virtual console games and an eshop game or two.... otherwise you will end up buying a hdd anyway.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

I'm fine with the basic cos I don't tend to buy any digital games for the Wii U. (I do buy plenty on the 3DS though).

Depends on the price difference though!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@kramernic: The basic shouldn't exist, imo.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

i agree, i would get which ever color you want. Some fear the white rubber on analog sticks might discolor. I could see this happening so it seems would need to keep clean with an organic like Lemon or Vinegar to keep clean. The only down fall with the Black is fingerprints and stuff show up easy. I bought original White Wii remotes back when Wii first launched and i still use them with my White Wii U, they still look brand new.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

You should get the deluxe model. It's not just game saves you have to worry about. You also have game updates, which can get pretty big and you don't have a lot of room on the basic to work with. You practically have to buy external storage.