Is The 3DS For Mature Gamers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eamnapoleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 eamnapoleon
Member since 2005 • 149 Posts

The 3DS looks like some fun new technology to play around with, but at 18 years old should I just stick to the PSP2???

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

It's going to be like the DS, there's going to be something for everyone.

Rennar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rennar
Member since 2007 • 526 Posts

It's going to be like other nintendo console; the games are going to be fun for all ages to play. Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, etc. are enjoyable for all age groups; I've been playing them since I was six and they haven't lost any of their appeal.

eamnapoleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eamnapoleon
Member since 2005 • 149 Posts

Yeah I know that Nintendo usually releases a decent variety of games, but I have never seen an adult with a DS in a public place. The steriotypical DS user is around the age of ten. Is the 3DS going to change this stereotype?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11280 Posts

Probably be like the DS.

Games for younger people (Resident Evil, Mario & Ridge Racer etc.) Games for mature people (Brain age & those cooking type games etc.)

Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts
The fact that you care enough about weather a not a console is 'mature' enough for you is a sign that you yourself are not mature (don't take that personal). I'm 23 and I don't care what kind of image a game system has. The games are what matters and fun/entertainment do not discriminate against age/maturity.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I can see your concern about this. I personally don't take my DS or PSP outside unless I go on vacation. The demographic in the states judge you based on your age so I can see it makes you uncomfortable. It's like playing a game on the ipod in public is ok, but playing a DS might get a few stares since "it's for kids." Unlike in Japan where you'll see grown men and women walking around with DS's daily.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Your only 18 anyways I am 29 and can't wait to get my 3ds
misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

Newsflash. 99% of people you meet every day on the bus, train etc. couldn't care less about you or what games you are playing.

Stop worrying about stupid stuff and enjoy your game.

I'm 35, and I played my old DS lite on the train to work all the time in my last job.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5563 Posts

The 3DS looks like some fun new technology to play around with, but at 18 years old should I just stick to the PSP2???eamnapoleon

Personally, I question the maturity of someone who has to ask a question like this.

NerdyDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NerdyDonut
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts

I'm pretty sure you won't be seeing any kids with 3DS' for a while, not until after Christmas anyway. There has been hardly any advertising on TV here in the UK so apart from those who follow gaming websites/news not many people will know about the 3DS. Like somebody mentioned earlier, a man playing iPod/iPhone games in public looks fine but when a man plays a DS in public they will get a few strange looks, it shouldn't be like this, it's just the society we live in today. There is something for everyone on the DS/3DS. Forget what anyone else thinks and do what you want to.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

The 3DS looks like some fun new technology to play around with, but at 18 years old should I just stick to the PSP2???

eamnapoleon

>.>. DS was the more "mature" system. The 3DS is no different.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3669 Posts

I turned 36 today and have already pre-ordered a 3DS. Interesting, it was in my adult years that I became a more active gamer and I have been gaming since the early 1980s, before most of the users here were ever born. The 3DS is a system intended for a broad demographics and interesting the pictures on Nintendo's 3DS page shows adults, not children.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts

[QUOTE="eamnapoleon"]

Zanoh

How was the DS a more "mature" system? How is any system more mature than any other system? Every gaming device out there is only as mature as your ability to enjoy the games. That means being able to enjoy colourful games and ignoring the casual idiots who think you're "kiddy", while at the same time being able to enjoy mindless, violent, blood and guts game while ignoring the idiots who think you're immature for preferring those types of games. In the end, it all comes down to what you want out of the system. I'm personally not buying either until I can see a decent existing (i.e. released) library for both of them.
RevtheView

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RevtheView
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Do you remember the E3 annoucement. All of the games they annoucned for it. I can't remember all of the game they said but one was called Saints Row. :) (Funny, violent game) Yes it can be for mature gamers. Im getting it for the netflix. Dam movies on the road SWEET!
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

If you're worried about image, how you'll look walking around with one, do what you want, if you really have friends that'll rag on you for playing a DS, maybe your friends are immature themselves. You're not in HS anymore, Mr. 18 year old (or at least you probably aren't, or will be graduating soon), it's time to stop worrying about what other people think and do what you do for yourself.

If you're worried about games, so far the 3DS is looking pretty decent, with two Resident Evil games, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed, Contra, Samurai Warriors, Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid, ect. with more to come. Those are just the games likely to be rated "Mature," there are also plenty of games rated E-T that any age group will enjoy (Mario, Zelda, ect).

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26840 Posts
I can see your concern about this. I personally don't take my DS or PSP outside unless I go on vacation. The demographic in the states judge you based on your age so I can see it makes you uncomfortable. It's like playing a game on the ipod in public is ok, but playing a DS might get a few stares since "it's for kids." Unlike in Japan where you'll see grown men and women walking around with DS's daily. gokuofheaven
That happens a little where i live too. But when you do play it in public at convenient occasions... and you see people being very bored waiting for the bus or in the waiting room, it makes you feel better again.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts

If you're worried about image, how you'll look walking around with one, do what you want, if you really have friends that'll rag on you for playing a DS, maybe your friends are immature themselves. You're not in HS anymore, Mr. 18 year old (or at least you probably aren't, or will be graduating soon), it's time to stop worrying about what other people think and do what you do for yourself.

If you're worried about games, so far the 3DS is looking pretty decent, with two Resident Evil games, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Assassin's Creed, Contra, Samurai Warriors, Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid, ect. with more to come. Those are just the games likely to be rated "Mature," there are also plenty of games rated E-T that any age group will enjoy (Mario, Zelda, ect).

DustinTheWind

Everyone says "dont worry about what others think" but everyone still does, no matter who you are or else we would all do the most absurd things in public. Sometimes "doing what you want" includes not being a goof and having people actually wanna be around you.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 forgot_it

Everyone says "dont worry about what others think" but everyone still does, no matter who you are or else we would all do the most absurd things in public. Sometimes "doing what you want" includes not being a goof and having people actually wanna be around you.riariases
Video games in public hardly qualify as "absurd".

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="riariases"]Everyone says "dont worry about what others think" but everyone still does, no matter who you are or else we would all do the most absurd things in public. Sometimes "doing what you want" includes not being a goof and having people actually wanna be around you.forgot_it

Exactly. We're not talking about streaking or wearing a pink tutu or never bathing again, we're talking about playing a video game. The older you get, the less you'll care about what others think, unless you're pretty shallow. That's why old people don't give a crap about anything. They've figured out that life's too short to constantly conform to others. Anyway, buy your PSP2, be the 'cool kid.' I'd rather be the guy playing the games he grew up loving and still loves. None of us can make that decision for you.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

[QUOTE="eamnapoleon"]

forgot_it

How was the DS a more "mature" system? How is any system more mature than any other system? Every gaming device out there is only as mature as your ability to enjoy the games. That means being able to enjoy colourful games and ignoring the casual idiots who think you're "kiddy", while at the same time being able to enjoy mindless, violent, blood and guts game while ignoring the idiots who think you're immature for preferring those types of games. In the end, it all comes down to what you want out of the system. I'm personally not buying either until I can see a decent existing (i.e. released) library for both of them.

Was being sarcastic. I agree with your point though mate.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 forgot_it

Was being sarcastic. I agree with your point though mate.

Zanoh

d-(^_^)-b

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5563 Posts

If people want to look at me funny because I'm playing a 3DS in public, I figure that's their problem, not mine. :)

josetoronja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 josetoronja
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Well, there will be 2 Resident Evils in there :P

SnowyPaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SnowyPaws
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts
1st I'd like to say/ask .. Since when has the word "mature" and "gamer" ever gone together.? :P 2nd .. there are a lot of games of different styles therefore there is something for every age group when it comes to the DS.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6148 Posts
[QUOTE="Zanoh"]

[QUOTE="eamnapoleon"]

forgot_it

Easier said than done. Half of you 30 year old people would never pull out a Nintendo DS at a socail setting filed with other 30 year olds. This concern the OP has is legit & makes total sense. Coolyfett is 31. It really depends on what your handheld is LOADED with. Again you are in a social setting with Men & Women, who may or may not be gamers. Kirby, Mario & Pokemon will definately lower your cool stock ha ha ha ha. God of War, Ratchet & Clank would have the same effect. Now have some of the latest albums, latest sitcoms/tv episodes or latest movies on your handheld then pulling it out would be a safer bet. Any puzzle game or sports game would get cool points from both sexes...yea its shallow, but lets be honest here people. Gaming is still viewed as a childs activity until more adult games like Fight Night or Uncharted or Alan Wake or Professor Layton or etc etc....its a blurry line.
ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts

what the hell. This is a gaming system not a cartoon show. It's for everyone who likes video games.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

what the hell. This is a gaming system not a cartoon show. It's for everyone who likes video games.

ZachMasta
what do cartoons have to do with it. i still watch mostly cartoons and i am not ashamed. It really doesnt bother me at all to play ds in front of other older people though i guess it should my gf tells me. i dont understand why.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

[QUOTE="forgot_it"][QUOTE="Zanoh"]

Coolyfett

Easier said than done. Half of you 30 year old people would never pull out a Nintendo DS at a socail setting filed with other 30 year olds. This concern the OP has is legit & makes total sense. Coolyfett is 31. It really depends on what your handheld is LOADED with. Again you are in a social setting with Men & Women, who may or may not be gamers. Kirby, Mario & Pokemon will definately lower your cool stock ha ha ha ha. God of War, Ratchet & Clank would have the same effect. Now have some of the latest albums, latest sitcoms/tv episodes or latest movies on your handheld then pulling it out would be a safer bet. Any puzzle game or sports game would get cool points from both sexes...yea its shallow, but lets be honest here people. Gaming is still viewed as a childs activity until more adult games like Fight Night or Uncharted or Alan Wake or Professor Layton or etc etc....its a blurry line.

If I was in such a situation why would i pull out a game system in the first place? I'd rather talk with my friends.

lizzie1238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lizzie1238
Member since 2010 • 1106 Posts
I sure hope there aren't as many little kids with 3DSs as with the DS. The DS wasn't designed to be children's system, but somehow ended up being that way. I can't stand seeing Nintendo's warnings about kids under 6 playing with 3D off, because kids that young shouldn't be playing it anyways. But of course, some spoiled little kids will end up getting them from their parents anyways.
ZachMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ZachMasta
Member since 2010 • 579 Posts
I watch cartoons too lol. But it is evident that most cartoons cater to a certain age group.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24447 Posts
Yes. The 3DS is for everyone who wants to play its games. Even the mature people who want to play its games.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DustinTheWind

50% who voted so far are over 20 years old. Interesting.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 riariases

[QUOTE="forgot_it"][QUOTE="Zanoh"]

Coolyfett

Who goes to social settings to play video games?

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6148 Posts

[QUOTE="riariases"]Everyone says "dont worry about what others think" but everyone still does, no matter who you are or else we would all do the most absurd things in public. Sometimes "doing what you want" includes not being a goof and having people actually wanna be around you.forgot_it

Absurd? no Kinda Weird yes. If people want to feel more comfy gaming public, gamers as a whole need to start welcoming casual gamers & encouraging good titles. How many gamers have you created?? How many people have bought a DS or PSP, because you showed them how great it was? Thats actually what Nintendo & Sony are trying make handheld gaming a social thing. Gaming is still a fairly new genre. Its not as old as music, books or videos. First introduced to kids in the late 70s. Graphics have grown, quality has grown, presentation has grown in the industry. Coolyfett will answer the question is 3DS for mature gamers?? The answer is NO!!. Its main feature is 3D. What adult would naturally choose 3D over HD? Most adults are not impressed with 3D because they saw it all the time as a kid. Even Hollywood is doing it to bring the kids in. Most adults will Redbox or Netflix instead of the movie every other week. Thats a teenybopper sort of thing. Coolyfett is not knocking it, he used to do it in High School, but as much now. So NO the 3DS is NOT for the mature crowd. Will the Mature crowd check it out?? Most Likely.....they will have the money to invest. Is the 3DS invented with them in mind?? Coolyfett says NO.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

eamnapoleon

No way. DS has far more to offer than the PSP ever could.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I'm 22 and will be getting the 3DS, just not at launch though. As for the PSP2 I got the original PSP around launch and I have only have 5 games for it and I never play them, so I'm not even considering getting one.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="forgot_it"]

[QUOTE="riariases"]Everyone says "dont worry about what others think" but everyone still does, no matter who you are or else we would all do the most absurd things in public. Sometimes "doing what you want" includes not being a goof and having people actually wanna be around you.Coolyfett

Absurd? no Kinda Weird yes. If people want to feel more comfy gaming public, gamers as a whole need to start welcoming casual gamers & encouraging good titles. How many gamers have you created?? How many people have bought a DS or PSP, because you showed them how great it was? Thats actually what Nintendo & Sony are trying make handheld gaming a social thing. Gaming is still a fairly new genre. Its not as old as music, books or videos. First introduced to kids in the late 70s. Graphics have grown, quality has grown, presentation has grown in the industry. Coolyfett will answer the question is 3DS for mature gamers?? The answer is NO!!. Its main feature is 3D. What adult would naturally choose 3D over HD? Most adults are not impressed with 3D because they saw it all the time as a kid. Even Hollywood is doing it to bring the kids in. Most adults will Redbox or Netflix instead of the movie every other week. Thats a teenybopper sort of thing. Coolyfett is not knocking it, he used to do it in High School, but as much now. So NO the 3DS is NOT for the mature crowd. Will the Mature crowd check it out?? Most Likely.....they will have the money to invest. Is the 3DS invented with them in mind?? Coolyfett says NO.

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. Adults don't play Nintendo systems, adults don't go to see movies, adults don't like 3D movies, movies are for teenagers netflix is for adults, wtf? Plenty of adults enjoyed Avatar in 3D. Plenty of adults enjoy 3D, plenty still go to movies (as a matter of fact, adults are the KEY demographic for the MAJORITY of movies).

We saw 3D as a kid? The 3D I saw when I was a kid sucked so bad that no one ever used it. 3D actually works now, it's just that some movies take shortcuts (such as adding in 3D after the fact rather than filming it in 3D like they should) so that they can charge an extra $2.50 or whatever. So no, adults don't like every 3D movie out there, and in some cases adults would rather watch a "3D" movie in 2D, if the 3D sucks, but that doesn't mean most adults don't enjoy 3D movies. If they didn't, there wouldn't be so many out, so many still being produced.

Plenty of adults consider video games a social activity. Plenty of adults own DS's, and some of them DO carry them around. I think the 3DS is actually much more likely to attract adults than the DS did, considering the features it has, the jump in graphics (and in turn, more possiblities for "mature" games). Nintendo didn't sit down and say "let's create a new handheld just for adults" or "just for kids." They did what they have always, always done. They sat down and said let's make a system that everyone can enjoy. And then they make games everyone can enjoy, and they let third parties make the "adult only" or "geared towards adults" games. Sure, 360 and PS3 have more adult oriented games than the Wii, but I still own a Wii (as well as a 360) and I still love several of its games.

PSP might have more "mature" games than the DS, but I've loved my DS since the day I bought it, and never once have I felt like I was playing a "Kids only" system. To people who say Mario and Zelda type games are considered kids games, just remember that those are the games that us adults, in our late 20s/early 30s (and even older tbh) played growing up. Not all of us still love them, but plenty of us still do.

And if you're trying to "be cool in High School" by owning a PSP, good for you, you're still a kid, you still get to give a crap what other little HSers say. Most adults don't give near as much of a crap as HS students. My friends borrow my DS, and I've never once been made fun of for owning one.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 riariases
[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"][QUOTE="forgot_it"]Video games in public hardly qualify as "absurd".

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. Adults don't play Nintendo systems, adults don't go to see movies, adults don't like 3D movies, movies are for teenagers netflix is for adults, wtf? Plenty of adults enjoyed Avatar in 3D. Plenty of adults enjoy 3D, plenty still go to movies (as a matter of fact, adults are the KEY demographic for the MAJORITY of movies).

We saw 3D as a kid? The 3D I saw when I was a kid sucked so bad that no one ever used it. 3D actually works now, it's just that some movies take shortcuts (such as adding in 3D after the fact rather than filming it in 3D like they should) so that they can charge an extra $2.50 or whatever. So no, adults don't like every 3D movie out there, and in some cases adults would rather watch a "3D" movie in 2D, if the 3D sucks, but that doesn't mean most adults don't enjoy 3D movies. If they didn't, there wouldn't be so many out, so many still being produced.

Plenty of adults consider video games a social activity. Plenty of adults own DS's, and some of them DO carry them around. I think the 3DS is actually much more likely to attract adults than the DS did, considering the features it has, the jump in graphics (and in turn, more possiblities for "mature" games). Nintendo didn't sit down and say "let's create a new handheld just for adults" or "just for kids." They did what they have always, always done. They sat down and said let's make a system that everyone can enjoy. And then they make games everyone can enjoy, and they let third parties make the "adult only" or "geared towards adults" games. Sure, 360 and PS3 have more adult oriented games than the Wii, but I still own a Wii (as well as a 360) and I still love several of its games.

PSP might have more "mature" games than the DS, but I've loved my DS since the day I bought it, and never once have I felt like I was playing a "Kids only" system. To people who say Mario and Zelda type games are considered kids games, just remember that those are the games that us adults, in our late 20s/early 30s (and even older tbh) played growing up. Not all of us still love them, but plenty of us still do.

And if you're trying to "be cool in High School" by owning a PSP, good for you, you're still a kid, you still get to give a crap what other little HSers say. Most adults don't give near as much of a crap as HS students. My friends borrow my DS, and I've never once been made fun of for owning one.

I liked your novel. A bit long for my tastes though... anyway, I would say its more about the maturity of the player.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"] Absurd? no Kinda Weird yes. If people want to feel more comfy gaming public, gamers as a whole need to start welcoming casual gamers & encouraging good titles. How many gamers have you created?? How many people have bought a DS or PSP, because you showed them how great it was? Thats actually what Nintendo & Sony are trying make handheld gaming a social thing. Gaming is still a fairly new genre. Its not as old as music, books or videos. First introduced to kids in the late 70s. Graphics have grown, quality has grown, presentation has grown in the industry. Coolyfett will answer the question is 3DS for mature gamers?? The answer is NO!!. Its main feature is 3D. What adult would naturally choose 3D over HD? Most adults are not impressed with 3D because they saw it all the time as a kid. Even Hollywood is doing it to bring the kids in. Most adults will Redbox or Netflix instead of the movie every other week. Thats a teenybopper sort of thing. Coolyfett is not knocking it, he used to do it in High School, but as much now. So NO the 3DS is NOT for the mature crowd. Will the Mature crowd check it out?? Most Likely.....they will have the money to invest. Is the 3DS invented with them in mind?? Coolyfett says NO. riariases

I liked your novel. A bit long for my tastes though... anyway, I would say its more about the maturity of the player.

Look for it in hardback on the 27th and paperback this holiday season!
And I agree, it's about the maturity of the player; well said.