Is the 3DS completly worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1 Neonakaa
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

Is the console good for travelling? Im going to Germany in the summer and would the console make a good partner? And im also looking for a game with long playtime, Ive heard Animal Crossing is swell, what about it?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

The XL can't fit in normal pants pockets, so keep that in mind. Otherwise, it's great for traveling as long as you have a power source. The battery lasts 3 hours on the highest settings, maybe up to 5 or 6 with things turned down.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is a game that will last for dozens and dozens of hours, if you're into that kind of thing. Bravely Default is around 40 hours long. I put 40 hours into the amazing Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, if you like rhythm games and FF music.

There are a lot of great games to choose from. You won't have a hard time finding things to play.

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Neonakaa

@JordanElek: Thanks :)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

PLENTY of great games, especially if you like RPGs. If you're taking a backpack, get the XL since it has a larger screen and better battery life. Some games that I HIGHLY recommend that can last you a while and require no prior knowledge of the series:

Fire Emblem Awakening (45 to beat the story, many, many more for replay and bonus content)

Bravely Default (14 hours in, nowhere near the end, plus the job system gives it inherent playability)

Shin Megami tensei IV (60 hours for story, and New Game+ to get different monsters and try different builds)

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (haven't beaten it yet, but I'm 25 hours in and roughly 40% through)

Mario and Luigi Dream Team (40- 45 hours for the story, a few more for side content, but not as content packed as other games)

Tales of the Abyss (50 hours for story, with New Game+ and more incentives to replay)

Zelda: Link Between Worlds (took me 21 hours to get everything in the game, but there's a bonus difficulty that opens up upon completion)

Pokemon X or Y (Took me 35 hours for the story, at least 15 more hours for side content and come on it's pokemon, it has almost endless playability)

I'd also recommend Virtue's Last Reward if you're looking for something almost exclusively story based, but I'd say it's requried to play Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors first (they are a part of the same series, and you wouldn't start reading something like Game of Thrones with book two, would you?) 999 is on the DS (and 3Ds has backwards compatibility) and VLR is for 3DS. Both are great.

Also, i'd recommend the trilogy of Game Boy Color Zelda games; Oracle of Ages, Oracle of seasons and Link's awakening. They're all quite amazing, and can be played in whatever order you choose. They can be dowloaded for about 6 bucks a piece from the E Shop, and those prices are great for the games. Each one should last around 20- 25 hours if you have never played any of them.

Hope all this helps! As you can see, there's no lack of great, long games on 3DS. If you're interested in a particular game, look it up, check out the gameplay and see if it's for you. Or if you have a specific question about one of the games, feel free to PM me and I can give you a more detailed description.

Smallville0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Smallville0608
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

Definitely worth it. Big into consoles, but still play my 3DS every single day. Tons of amazing games to occupy your time as others have stated.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#6 IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Fire Emblem Awakening (45 to beat the story, many, many more for replay and bonus content)

Bravely Default (14 hours in, nowhere near the end, plus the job system gives it inherent playability)

Mario and Luigi Dream Team (40- 45 hours for the story, a few more for side content, but not as content packed as other games)

Tales of the Abyss (50 hours for story, with New Game+ and more incentives to replay)

Zelda: Link Between Worlds (took me 21 hours to get everything in the game, but there's a bonus difficulty that opens up upon completion)

Pokemon X or Y (Took me 35 hours for the story, at least 15 more hours for side content and come on it's pokemon, it has almost endless playability)

Also, i'd recommend the trilogy of Game Boy Color Zelda games; Oracle of Ages, Oracle of seasons and Link's awakening. They're all quite amazing, and can be played in whatever order you choose. They can be dowloaded for about 6 bucks a piece from the E Shop, and those prices are great for the games. Each one should last around 20- 25 hours if you have never played any of them.

This guy^ those particular games I quoted are the exact reason you should have a 3DS ^^

Not too mention the Mario games, Sonic, Animal crossing, indie games on the store ^^ Fantastic range and I'd 100% recommend one, I use mine often for travelling for 4-5 hours at a time and as long as you don't have max 3D on it'll see you out a good journey :D ( Plus you can buy the battery extension kits. http://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Battery-Extender-Charger-Nintendo/dp/B007BBSR1A < --- Under £7 O.o! )

Hope this helps :)

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

If you like a ton of really good games then you should get one. Do some research on it and see what games are out there. I don't know what kind of games you like but I'm sure there's something for you.

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Neonakaa

@IncisionX: @turtlethetaffer: Thanks :) And it did help, think im gonna add it to the collection, So you two have my personal thanks.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IncisionX

@neonakaa said:

@IncisionX: @turtlethetaffer: Thanks :) And it did help, think im gonna add it to the collection, So you two have my personal thanks.

Anytime Neon, glad we could help you out :D

oh, if you do get one - Drop me a message with your 3DS ID :D

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Neonakaa

@IncisionX: Im gonna get it at the end of the month, so ill try to keep it in mind.

ObxChillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ObxChillin
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

Yea its worth it, games i reccomend are: Zelda Ocarina of Time, Zelda: A link between worlds, Pokemon X/Y, Mario Kart 7 there are more but those games are fun and take a decent amount of time to do everything in them.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IncisionX

@neonakaa said:

@IncisionX: Im gonna get it at the end of the month, so ill try to keep it in mind.

I'd forget so I won't hold it against you if you do o/

Ps. Been playing the hell out of Fire Emblem O.o It's incredibly addictive I'd advise that as a first pick up :D

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 turtlethetaffer

@neonakaa: Out of curiosity, what games are you gonna get for it first?

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Neonakaa

@IncisionX: Im gonna do it anyway :D

@turtlethetaffer: Something with high playtime/replay value. MK7, Animal Crossing, etc.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@neonakaa: I think Animal Crossing is the perfect type of game to play on a trip, as it doesn't require input or thought, so it won't be too distracting when you're looking for something just kill a few minutes.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#16 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Animal Crossing could last you over 100 hours if you really get into it.

DR_CANCER_SNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DR_CANCER_SNK
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Get your hands on Dream Team

Its the best Mario and Luigi RPG out of the 4 games (super star saga, partners in time, bowser inside story)

Battle system is simple yet entertaining

Music is quite amazing

And It'll take you about 20-40 Hours to complete

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Neonakaa

@IncisionX: An exellent question : Do you own that battery extender thingy? And how does it work? Does it charge the system or just extends it?

Also, does it have a stopper if its full? I read that it did but does it REALLY have one?

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IncisionX

@neonakaa said:

@IncisionX: An exellent question : Do you own that battery extender thingy? And how does it work? Does it charge the system or just extends it?

Also, does it have a stopper if its full? I read that it did but does it REALLY have one?

Basically you put 'AA Batteries' in and that'll charge your 3DS ^^ I've used Duracell ones and they gave me about 3-4 Full power recharges but if I remember it doesn't auto turn off so you have to keep an eye on it ^^ Cheap batteries recharge about twice but if you buy a massive multi pack of medium quality they'll see you through plenty of journeys :)

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Neonakaa

@IncisionX: Thanks for the tips :)

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@neonakaa: Animal crossing sounds like the best bet. I haven't played the new one but if the past is anything to go by, there's always something to do.