Is Nintendo throwing in the towel...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jwhitmore12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jwhitmore12
Member since 2009 • 136 Posts

for their "hardcore" 1st party titles? I mean what was the last nintendo game that was actually challenging? Clearly Nintendo doesn't have to care about its long-standing fans because it has found a gold minefrom casuals. Don't you feel betrayed? I mean look at 2011: all I can see is Skyward Sword (if they do stay true to what they said) and even that doesn't look promising.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
No.
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts

Apparently Donkey Kong Country Returns is one of their hardest games to date. I think people need to understand that hardcore doesn't always equal extreme violence or full 3D. Hardcore used to be the Mega Man series, Mario games at the higher worlds, etc. Long standing Nintendo fans were looking forward to New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn. Metroid fans were looking forward to Metroid Other M. Nintendo fans were willing to give Monster Hunter Tri and Epic Mickey fair shakes. I see no reason at all to feel betrayed by Nintendo.

Lets look at the true "casual" games they've made. Big Brain Academy, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Music, Wii Play, and Wii Fit/Plus, and Wii Party. That's it. 8 games (might be missing one or two) this entire generation this is primarily aimed casuals. 8 out of all the games they made for the Wii and not counting the ones they published for other developers. They never forgot about their core audience. They were just slow at putting games out hoping others would fill the void.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Huh? Since when did a challenging game mean that its a "hardcore" one? :? Also if you DO want challenge, Donkey Kong Country Returns came out last month. As for releases, Nintendo keeps things secret until they're only a few months away from being released. Donkey Kong, Kirby, Goldeneye all came out only a few months after being revealed at E3 2010.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
*Palm--insert face* Lets just make this simple, a game isn't "hardcore" because its difficult. Would a game made difficult because of broken controls or a series of technical bugs be hardcore? I'll put it like this, if you concern yourself with whether or not a game is hardcore, your not a hardcore gamer.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

The majority of games are not hard at all

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

Where have you been these past months? :|

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
Donkey Kong Country Returns is incredibly challenging. If thats not enough for the apparent 'hardcore', then perhaps the hardcore just isn't worth the effort.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

dkc4 is hard goldeneye is hard especally using the mote lol,

i dont see where your saying nintendos throwin in the towel if anything the other 2 are making easier games

look at how their health systems are- for one they recharge, then you got a navigator in almost every game making it more easier for you to find objectives

dkc4 has hard levels as you get into world 2 , thats quite early for hard levels ,there was this one level with tidal waves i had a tough time on that one

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

You're either a troll....or just very unaware of alot of games that have been released in recent months.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i hear the recently released dkcr is a good challenge. anyway, nintendo rested its wii line up this year on franchises like mario (platformer), metroid, and donkey kong (platformer again). they seem pretty focused on making games that mean something to long time nintendo fans.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I mean what was the last nintendo game that was actually challenging?.

jwhitmore12
Donkey Kong Country Returns? Which released quite recently?
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
define "hardcore"
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
I just wish that gamers stop labelling themselves or the games as "casual" or "hardcore." These labels are nothing more to encourage elitism, fanboyism, stereotypes, and the "us versus them" mentality. Really, this type of nonsense belongs in System Wars where it is more appropriate.
Nintendofreakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nintendofreakx
Member since 2009 • 114 Posts

Donkey kong country returns and sin and punishment star successor*when played on hard mode this game will destroy you*. those two games are the only one's I've played this year that I had trouble not dieing in. But a few of the levels in super mario galaxy 2 are challenges. *cough 242 star*

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
i was going to comment, but i think everyone else did a good job at pointing out how nintendo hasnt let its fans down, its just that too many people think COD is hardcore and Mario is kiddie. u seem to be one of those.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Nintendo throwing in the towel? Whatever...
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this on these forums, but Nintendo is making much more challenging games than most other companies this gen

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

I just got DKCR yesterday and its definatly the hardest wii game I've played and the hardest game I've played in years. But its not cheap and I'm having a great time

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

As many have already said, lack of challenge doesn't make it not hardcore. Besides, they have released Donkey Kong Country Returns, which I hear is very challenging. Besides, who even cares if a game is hardcore or not, as long as it's fun? What does hardcore even mean? . For instance, I'm pretty sure that the Assasin's Creed titles would be considered "hardcore". Are they all that challengin? No. Are they fun and have many things for completeionists to find? You bet they do. The majority of games are fairly easy, but many of them are considered "hardcore."

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Don't ya just love it when someone makes an absurdly ridiculous thread and then never responds to it?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 turtlethetaffer

Don't ya just love it when someone makes an absurdly ridiculous thread and then never responds to it?

Bigboi500

It teh bestest evors!

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
I cant even remember the last time I played a "hard" game. Either way difficulty is not really a deciding factor in whether a game is core or not.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
TC, you are about 2 years late.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
looks like you haven't played most of their 2010 lineup.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Bigboi500
not everyone is always on the internet, calling someone a troll based on the fact that they haven't replied after one day of thread is just silly. you could be right, you could be wrong. maybe TC even read, noticed his mistake, and didn't bother making a post "oh, i see it now".
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
define "hardcore"ZumaJones07
They're gamers who play without a chair! They're so hardcore they stand in a seated position! :O
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

No offense TC but i've gone through your entire post history and generally you seem to have been negative towards Nintendo lately. You obviously spend more time on the 360 to even notice the hardcore and challenging games that Nintendo have and will have in the future.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts

define "hardcore"ZumaJones07
(IMO) a hardcore gamer is not someone who plays "M" rated games. It is someone who play games to death. looks for every little item and unlockable in any game it may be(whether it is Mario or Halo). true hardcore gamers dont play games for the systems, but for the games. probably most of us who go to site like this and post on forums are hardcore.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this on these forums, but Nintendo is making much more challenging games than most other companies this gen

Pikminmaniac

that

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 turtlethetaffer

There are several games on Wii that have alot to do. Just look at SMG2. 242 stars. Anyway, just go back to playing CoD on your 360. You know, one that has almost no singleplayer, and at many times frustrating multiplayer. (Not saying that the games are bad. On the contrary, I own a few.) I would go as far as to say that the Wii has some of the best singleplayer and "harcore" games out there. People just pass many games off as kiddy, and don't even bother realizing that there are many great games on Wii.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
This topic sounds like flame bait. How come Wii/Nintendo nay sayers never list the games that they have a problem with: they always leave undefined, global accusations.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AtelierFan
No, 'gamers' like you are throwing in the towel by leaving posts like this, and we feel betrayed by 'gamers' like you who leave posts like this.
1-Up_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 1-Up_Gamer
Member since 2009 • 483 Posts

"Hardcore games" list:

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Metroid: Other M

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Donkey Kong Country Returns (latest difficult game)

"Casual games" list:

Wii Party

Looking at that, I say no. And haven't you forgotten Mario Sports Mix for next year? Just because that and Skyward Sword are out next year doesn't mean they'll be the only first party games in 2011. Also, I suggest taking a look at the 3DS lineup.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#38 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Kirby's Epic Yarn isn't just for "casuals"

I'm absolutely sick of the "casual" vs "hardcore" debate anyway. It's basically meaningless at this point.

And if all I play next year for Wii is Skyward Sword, I'm one happy guy.

Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
I would have to agree with you TC. Nintendo has become so reliant on their 'family fun' games that they forgot about the ones who truly cared from the start. Sure they gave us Mario All Stars but what crap is that? It's just the SNES game on a Wii Disc and a few crappy songs half of which are sound effect. I'm getting quite angry at them because they are doing the bare minimum and people still buy their stuff. Their online stuff should be so much better and they need to work on some hardcore games for long loyal fans.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts
I would have to agree with you TC. Nintendo has become so reliant on their 'family fun' games that they forgot about the ones who truly cared from the start. Sure they gave us Mario All Stars but what crap is that? It's just the SNES game on a Wii Disc and a few crappy songs half of which are sound effect. I'm getting quite angry at them because they are doing the bare minimum and people still buy their stuff. Their online stuff should be so much better and they need to work on some hardcore games for long loyal fans.Crisis_Eye
Wii's 2010 year would like a word with you.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AtelierFan
[QUOTE="Crisis_Eye"]I would have to agree with you TC. Nintendo has become so reliant on their 'family fun' games that they forgot about the ones who truly cared from the start. Sure they gave us Mario All Stars but what crap is that? It's just the SNES game on a Wii Disc and a few crappy songs half of which are sound effect. I'm getting quite angry at them because they are doing the bare minimum and people still buy their stuff. Their online stuff should be so much better and they need to work on some hardcore games for long loyal fans.J-man45
Wii's 2010 year would like a word with you.

This :D
Avatar image for Shadowtails9000
Shadowtails9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 Shadowtails9000
Member since 2009 • 509 Posts

We've got: Donkey Country Returns, Sin and Punishment, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Epic Mickey (though not Nintendo, it had quite a challenge streak towards the end), and Other M.

Nintendofreakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nintendofreakx
Member since 2009 • 114 Posts

I would have to agree with you TC. Nintendo has become so reliant on their 'family fun' games that they forgot about the ones who truly cared from the start. Sure they gave us Mario All Stars but what crap is that? It's just the SNES game on a Wii Disc and a few crappy songs half of which are sound effect. I'm getting quite angry at them because they are doing the bare minimum and people still buy their stuff. Their online stuff should be so much better and they need to work on some hardcore games for long loyal fans.Crisis_Eye

I'm guessing you ignored this years line up cause there sure were plenty of great games that came out.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Beyond the things that people have already said, the difficulty level of games on theNES and to a lesser degree the SNES was to increase replay value, not to make them "hardcore". Most games on those platforms were so short that the only way to hide the fact that they could be beaten in an hour or two was to make those the hardest damn one or two hours you ever saw. Now that games are actually sufficiently advanced to enable actual content, there is no reason to make games that difficult anymore. This has nothing to do with Nintendo. None of the games I've played on the other consoles have been all that hard on balance, either.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Beyond the things that people have already said, the difficulty level of games on theNES and to a lesser degree the SNES was to increase replay value, not to make them "hardcore". Most games on those platforms were so short that the only way to hide the fact that they could be beaten in an hour or two was to make those the hardest damn one or two hours you ever saw. Now that games are actually sufficiently advanced to enable actual content, there is no reason to make games that difficult anymore. This has nothing to do with Nintendo. None of the games I've played on the other consoles have been all that hard on balance, either.

GabuEx
Acrade games are like this as well. In fact, making them difficult was a way to generate more revenue.
Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

Where have you been? In the last few months the Wii has seen quite a few great games.