Is Nintendo starting to do things EA style?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hekama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Hekama
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts

It used to be Nintendo almost always made high quality games, that were fresh and brought new things each time. But it's starting to seem they are getting less progressive in some ways, and taking the fact that people will buy the new games no matter what for granted.

Particularly, I'm thinking Mario Party 8. I actually think the quality was better in the other ones.I've played the first three, and I have one for Gamecube (I don't remember the number, there are so damn many!). The first three had great style, I felt they were a lot of fun. The GC one I have almost got stale, but it introduced some new features like the car battles that made it great. But the 8th one? They implemented the Wii remote, but that's it. The mini-games are fun, though they never really change in fun from one game to another. There aren't really many amazing features that make this much different from the other games.

What was REALLY disappointing with MP8 was that they didn't include online play. I myself am not one of those 'online or nothing' people, but you'd think they could at least have like a mini-game mode where you play with other people? It wouldn't be that hard. I was also disappointed that they didn't try to mend the rubber band AI. Part of the charm of Mario Party games is the randomness and the fact that you never know what's going to happen. But sometimes it's just out of control. It's not that fun to be in first, and to pretty much own the game for about an hour, then at the very end be put in last by some 'random fun events'. Fun -.-

Another game that I found could have had fixes was Mario Kart Wii. Actually, since Mario Kart has less different releases, it was still fairly new, and introduced a lot of fun concepts, great online play, and even beautiful maps. BUT I was really hoping they would do something about the out of control AI. There is no way to win when you get hit by a blue shell, then a red shell, then get pushed off the map and hit again when you come back. From first to last in about 10 helpless seconds. This game is also about being wacky and random, but that is kind of twisted. There should be like a max of two bad events within a small amount of time.

I don't know, I was just hoping they would be a little more innovative in some aspects. Their games are still fun and at some times beautiful.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

Nintendo took the most innovative approach to this generation by utilizing the Wiimote, and letting people play a different way.

But like you're saying, they weren't even caught up with what the other 2 companies were doing "at that time" either with things like online, etc.

Nintendo is slowly but surely realizing that online is part of home console gaming, and it's here to stay (especially withcountry after country getting high-speed connections). Lookatthe Wii's interface/HUD, nothing on a home console has been done like thatbefore. Like I said above, they took a huge step forward, while they were still behind in some aspects. All the Wii is, is just a console that offers a new type of play. Especially with the lack of M+, what would you expect (as a gamer)? You can reinvent the wheel, but it could always be tweaked down the road again, and again.

Look at how games were on the NES, compared to before the Wii was announced. It's called gaming evolution my friend, and nothing that evolves is ever the best version there ever will be. It will evolve again, and again.

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

Nintendo itself does not make Mario Party, so I would never expect Nintendo quality fromt those games.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
lol so your comparing Nintendo to EA the company that release's 400 annual sports titles because of Mario Party and Mario Kart in which there has only been 4 of them in the same time that there has been like 10 Madden's? Interesting. And I don't know what you expect Nintendo to do about that Mario Kart thing, if they didn't implement that bring you back to the pack system, all races would be blowouts. Yeah it sucks in the later races where you get torn apart 20ft from the finish line, but I would rather have to deal with that then be bored blowing out the CPU every race. Mario Party doesn't really lend itself well to online play, especially 8 which would have been missing voice chat. So what would be the difference to playing that against bots or against people online, even if someone left and was replaced by a bot you wouldn't know. Even if there was a Mario Party 9 and they added voice chat, since not everyone has it or would use it, you would still be in the same spot. I think online for Mario Party is really really an overrated desire.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
Nintendo has been resting on their laurels so long that their laurels have been squashed flat.
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

It used to be Nintendo almost always made high quality games, that were fresh and brought new things each time. But it's starting to seem they are getting less progressive in some ways, and taking the fact that people will buy the new games no matter what for granted.

Particularly, I'm thinking Mario Party 8. I actually think the quality was better in the other ones.I've played the first three, and I have one for Gamecube (I don't remember the number, there are so damn many!). The first three had great style, I felt they were a lot of fun. The GC one I have almost got stale, but it introduced some new features like the car battles that made it great. But the 8th one? They implemented the Wii remote, but that's it. The mini-games are fun, though they never really change in fun from one game to another. There aren't really many amazing features that make this much different from the other games.

What was REALLY disappointing with MP8 was that they didn't include online play. I myself am not one of those 'online or nothing' people, but you'd think they could at least have like a mini-game mode where you play with other people? It wouldn't be that hard. I was also disappointed that they didn't try to mend the rubber band AI. Part of the charm of Mario Party games is the randomness and the fact that you never know what's going to happen. But sometimes it's just out of control. It's not that fun to be in first, and to pretty much own the game for about an hour, then at the very end be put in last by some 'random fun events'. Fun -.-

Another game that I found could have had fixes was Mario Kart Wii. Actually, since Mario Kart has less different releases, it was still fairly new, and introduced a lot of fun concepts, great online play, and even beautiful maps. BUT I was really hoping they would do something about the out of control AI. There is no way to win when you get hit by a blue shell, then a red shell, then get pushed off the map and hit again when you come back. From first to last in about 10 helpless seconds. This game is also about being wacky and random, but that is kind of twisted. There should be like a max of two bad events within a small amount of time.

I don't know, I was just hoping they would be a little more innovative in some aspects. Their games are still fun and at some times beautiful.

Hekama

You're right about Mario Kart Wii. It's not nearly as fun as Double Dash. But there are very few games (like Mario Party)that take that approach, so your hypothesis has little merit, unless you have some more examples.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clicketyclick
You're right about Mario Kart Wii. It's not nearly as fun as Double Dash. But there are very few games (like Mario Party)that take that approach, so your hypothesis has little merit, unless you have some more examples.FFCYAN
Animal Crossing. SSBB. NSMB Wii. SMG2. It's not the exception - it's the rule.
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]You're right about Mario Kart Wii. It's not nearly as fun as Double Dash. But there are very few games (like Mario Party)that take that approach, so your hypothesis has little merit, unless you have some more examples.clicketyclick

Like I said, very few.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

One thing I took note of this console gen, is that Nintendo took two drastically different approaches this gen and last gen. Last gen Nintendo changed the software, they did something remarkabley different with each of their major fanchises. Mario was back in 3D but with the addition of the FLUDD and its water elements. Luigi used a vacuum to suck ghosts up. Link had a new and unique cel-shaded art style. Metroid went first-person and revitalized the franchise. Star Fox became an action game and took place in a world with dinosaurs. Nintendo Wars went from being turn-based strategy to real-time 3rd-person campaign style shooter. Kirby went for a race on an air-car. Fire Emblem and Wario went 3D. Donkey Kong played with bongos. Pokemon got a console story mode. And even a few new IPs like Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness,Odama and Pikmin (among others)came along to round out the line-up.

This generation instead of focusing on the software, Nintendo took a new approach to hardware and player interaction. Nintendo made some fine games last gen, the problem is that players who were looking for that 'hardcore' experience had wanted more mature content in their games and turned to Sony and Microsoft. And people just kind of...passed over Nintendo, because while all of the companies were offering the same thing, the other consoles had more of what they wanted. Quantity. So they did something different this time around, they searched for that 'blue ocean' and found it in the casual demographic. Now that is quickly becoming red ocean as well, Nintendo needs to change their strategy in the next couple of years again. And no matter what it is bound to be every bit as shocking and surprising as it has been these past two console gens.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clicketyclick

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="FFCYAN"]You're right about Mario Kart Wii. It's not nearly as fun as Double Dash. But there are very few games (like Mario Party)that take that approach, so your hypothesis has little merit, unless you have some more examples.FFCYAN

Like I said, very few.

Those were only a few recent examples because I thought those would do. Do you really want a full list? I mean, then I would have to include the shoddy overpriced ports they have on DSi, the NPC games, etc. They really have very few original games coming out, and in recent history, the truly original ones have been made by other devs and published by Nintendo.
gr1m01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gr1m01
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Nintendo took the most innovative approach to this generation by utilizing the Wiimote, and letting people play a different way.

danger_ranger95

See I wouldn't mind the new motion controls and all...if it actually worked. It's unresponsive and has very limited motion recognition (basically waggle the remote from side to side). I like the fact they want to utilise motion controls but their technology their using is pretty crap.

Anyway staying on topic, yeah I do feel nintendo has lost its touch and are just releasing games without much though into them. I was excited that the wii was going to have online play but when I actually saw it...I wished that it didn't have online play at all. The friend's code thing is absolute crap, it's not easy to get into a game, it's laggy, no party system and most games don't even have the online feature. I mean I wouldn't play online (on the Wii anyway) but the thought of having Mario Party or Mario Kart online sounds quite fun. It seems like a perfect idea but for some...odd reason the people at nintendo couldn't figure that out.

I think either nintendo has lost its edge or they didn't change at all but other companies came along who deliver a better experience. After playing Zelda, Mario Kart and other games on the Wii, I notice there's lack of innovation and lack of quality in their games. I believe money is to blame but I wouldn't know for sure.

lol so your comparing Nintendo to EA the company that release's 400 annual sports titles because of Mario Party and Mario Kart in which there has only been 4 of them in the same time that there has been like 10 Madden's? Interesting. And I don't know what you expect Nintendo to do about that Mario Kart thing, if they didn't implement that bring you back to the pack system, all races would be blowouts. Yeah it sucks in the later races where you get torn apart 20ft from the finish line, but I would rather have to deal with that then be bored blowing out the CPU every race. Mario Party doesn't really lend itself well to online play, especially 8 which would have been missing voice chat. So what would be the difference to playing that against bots or against people online, even if someone left and was replaced by a bot you wouldn't know. Even if there was a Mario Party 9 and they added voice chat, since not everyone has it or would use it, you would still be in the same spot. I think online for Mario Party is really really an overrated desire. Sepewrath

0.o? Doesn't lend itself well to online play?? The whole point of it is that its suppossed to be played with friends and other people. Also about the voice chat issue, everyone would have it if nintendo gave the WiiSpeak with the Wii or any other device that let's you talk to other people. Another point I would like to make is that there's actually 10 mario party games (Mario Party 1-8 + DS+ GBA) so they're kind of milking the series.

SuperMarioNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SuperMarioNerd
Member since 2007 • 55 Posts

One thing I took note of this console gen, is that Nintendo took two drastically different approaches this gen and last gen. Last gen Nintendo changed the software, they did something remarkabley different with each of their major fanchises. Mario was back in 3D but with the addition of the FLUDD and its water elements. Luigi used a vacuum to suck ghosts up. Link had a new and unique cel-shaded art style. Metroid went first-person and revitalized the franchise. Star Fox became an action game and took place in a world with dinosaurs. Nintendo Wars went from being turn-based strategy to real-time 3rd-person campaign style shooter. Kirby went for a race on an air-car. Fire Emblem and Wario went 3D. Donkey Kong played with bongos. Pokemon got a console story mode. And even a few new IPs like Animal Crossing, Eternal Darkness,Odama and Pikmin (among others)came along to round out the line-up.

This generation instead of focusing on the software, Nintendo took a new approach to hardware and player interaction. Nintendo made some fine games last gen, the problem is that players who were looking for that 'hardcore' experience had wanted more mature content in their games and turned to Sony and Microsoft. And people just kind of...passed over Nintendo, because while all of the companies were offering the same thing, the other consoles had more of what they wanted. Quantity. So they did something different this time around, they searched for that 'blue ocean' and found it in the casual demographic. Now that is quickly becoming red ocean as well, Nintendo needs to change their strategy in the next couple of years again. And no matter what it is bound to be every bit as shocking and surprising as it has been these past two console gens.

Ovirew

Ovirew, that is the same feeling I got from Nintendo last gen, and thank you for expressing them in words. Other than Super Mario Galaxy, I feel that many of Nintendo's franchises didn't make huge jumps in the gameplay mechanics and innovation during the Wii era: Twilight Princess was a nod to Ocarina, WarioWare's new feature involved the Wii Remote (and that's pretty much it), Metroid Prime 3 was altered by its controls and not much by level design and weapons, Brawl's new features were insignificant (and usually poorly executed) when compared to the strong foundations of the series' gameplay, Mario Kart's new features don't change the fact that we were playing the same game, Animal Crossing was a glorified port of Animal Crossing DS, and Punch-Out!! being praised more for its nostalgic elements than new mechanics. For me, there was a sense of irony this generation: although the GameCube (excluding the pressure-sensitive triggers) was not all that groundbreaking, the games you mentioned made a reasonable attempt at substantial change. Most games of existing IPs on Wii however feel much more conservative, and probably as a result, leads to diminished feelings and the lack of the "Nintendo charm."

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

See I wouldn't mind the new motion controls and all...if it actually worked. It's unresponsive and has very limited motion recognition (basically waggle the remote from side to side). I like the fact they want to utilise motion controls but their technology their using is pretty crap.

gr1m01

I agree, they aren't spot on, and even with M+, you still have the nunchuk that won't work correctly.

But that's what I meant about "gaming evolution" The controls will get better.

Could you imagine playing a FPS with a NES controller? Look how much controllers evolved through the years. They always get better.