Is it safe to buy games from eBay?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MorganMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MorganMonster
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

I want to buy a DS game from eBay, but I've heard some stories about games being fake and not working when bought from there. And I've never bought anything from eBay, so I'm not sure.

Also, the cheapest prices seem to be from international sellers, so that's who I'm thinking of buying from. Is this any different than buying from someone in the states?

Thanks for any help, in advance!

nZiFFLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nZiFFLe
Member since 2009 • 1481 Posts

i've been wondering the same thing, as i have wanted to buy some games off eBay. all i know is that games from Hong Kong tend to be fake.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
I only buy from people that have a good rep, because they're normally safe. Low rep people on the other hand I would be a bit more cautious buying from. Anyways you should be safe when shopping on Ebay, but like I said try and buy someone that has a good rep.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I learned the hard way with a copy of FF dawn of soul for the GBA.Some GBA games were pretty much cheap knockoffs,the save systems for the game would not work or sometimes it would not work at all.Now I don't know if the same things happen with DS games but if I were you I would buy your handheld games brand new.
Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dr_Snood

i've been wondering the same thing, as i have wanted to buy some games off eBay. all i know is that games from Hong Kong tend to be fake.

nZiFFLe
Yea there is a Pokemon platinum out there on Ebay for $20, but it is a seller from Hong Kong so I am a little worried about whether I should buy it or not. He/She has a good rep, but Idk if I trust someone from Hong Kong.
SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#6 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

As far as buying games on ebay, here are some tips for you.(I posted this in a previous post but here it is for you to consider)

1. If you are buying an 'english' speaking game(ex. GTA Chinatown Wars) from a country that doesn't have English as their first language (ex. Hong Kong, China) then it should immediately raise a red flag. Games translated to english will not be sold in other countries if english isn't their first language. Can they import them? Sure. Would you think they'd import them and spend money on shipping costs, just to turn around and sell a legit copy back to someone in another country for cheap? Not a chance.

2. Don't buy a game with a stock photo. If you are curious you can always email the seller to ask them to post a photo. If they refuse or don't answer you then they either don't care or are selling something they shouldn't be. We live in a world now full of cameras. Digital cameras, key-chain cameras, cellphone cameras, and even cameras on video game systems. There is NO reason they shouldn't be able to post a picture, especially when someone asks. If they don't, they don't deserve your money. Make sure to compare any photos they give you to others online...check for differences to images that are sold on store websites. Are pictures different? Are fonts different? Are things in different spots on the case artwork? If you are unsure you can even ask for close-up pics of the actual game cartridge, both front and back.

3. Ask questions if you are unsure. Any seller worth dealing with on ebay will communicate and answer ALL questions clearly.

4. Read their feedback. If they happen to have negative or neutral feedback, go through their feedback profile until you find them and read them. Don't just skim through feedback.

5. If they price seems too good to be true it probably is. This is just common sense.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dr_Snood

Best avoid buying from people in Hong Kong. I did some reading on it and Hong Kong users tend to sell many fake games.

George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 George_M
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

SiK99 pretty much nailed it. A useful tool for evaluating feedback is toolhaus.org. Enter the seller's ID and you can view just the negative and neutral feedbacks.

There's also a quickie way to view negs/neuts on the main ebay.com site. When you're viewing the seller's feedback page, go up to the address bar and insert .au after .com. So, instead of:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/...

make it:

http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/...

The numbers in the recent feedback ratings grid will become clickable links.

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts

I want to buy a DS game from eBay, but I've heard some stories about games being fake and not working when bought from there. And I've never bought anything from eBay, so I'm not sure.

Also, the cheapest prices seem to be from international sellers, so that's who I'm thinking of buying from. Is this any different than buying from someone in the states?

Thanks for any help, in advance!

MorganMonster

I've bought many games from ebay...No problems... Just make sure the seller has atleast a 98% or better ebay rating...If so, you will be fine. Also, check the seller's return policy to make sure they accept returns if that bothers you. Honestly, afer you type in the product for buying, check the left hand side of the screen and click on the option for only in North America for seller location so that you only see that item for sale in North America only.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts

Best avoid buying from people in Hong Kong. I did some reading on it and Hong Kong users tend to sell many fake games.

Dr_Snood
Yup, I was going to say just this. If you by from Hong Kong, you're 99% likely to be buying a fake or pirated game.
the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_wet_mop
Member since 2006 • 7518 Posts

i've bought a bunch of stuff off ebay, including some games. basically, look for big time sellers. someone with 15,689 transactions and 99.6% positive feedback most likely isnt going to decide to ruin his business by screwing you with a fake game. i bought jump! ultimate stars from somewhere in asia with no problems. i've even bought games from hong kong with no problems.

George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 George_M

I've bought many games from ebay...No problems... Just make sure the seller has atleast a 98% or better ebay rating...If so, you will be fine. Also, check the seller's return policy to make sure they accept returns if that bothers you.specialed

The problem is that a lot of sellers that sell fakes have a good feedback percentage. I think most buyers can't spot the fakes.

Also, if you pay with PayPal it doesn't matter if the seller claims not to take returns. PayPal has pretty strong buyer protection, and will have you return the game for a full refund if you file and win a claim. Don't use that instead of careful research before you buy, but it's a nice backup.

the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_wet_mop

[QUOTE="specialed"]I've bought many games from ebay...No problems... Just make sure the seller has atleast a 98% or better ebay rating...If so, you will be fine. Also, check the seller's return policy to make sure they accept returns if that bothers you.George_M

The problem is that a lot of sellers that sell fakes have a good feedback percentage. I think most buyers can't spot the fakes.

Also, if you pay with PayPal it doesn't matter if the seller claims not to take returns. PayPal has pretty strong buyer protection, and will have you return the game for a full refund if you file and win a claim. Don't use that instead of careful research before you buy, but it's a nice backup.

wait, how do you fake the ratings. i mean, besides making thousands of alt accounts.

Avatar image for Handheld_Dude91
Handheld_Dude91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Handheld_Dude91
Member since 2005 • 1184 Posts
I've gotten a few games off of ebay and i've had no problems. But, be sure not to buy games from Asia. A huge % of games on ebay are from asia and usually they're fake and take a while to arrive at your doorstep. Bottom line, make sure to buy from a US seller.
George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 George_M

[QUOTE="George_M"]The problem is that a lot of sellers that sell fakes have a good feedback percentage. I think most buyers can't spot the fakes.the_wet_mop

wait, how do you fake the ratings. i mean, besides making thousands of alt accounts.

I don't mean their feedback is fake. I mean that a lot of buyers don't realize the game they get is fake and leave positive feedback.

the_wet_mop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_wet_mop

[QUOTE="the_wet_mop"]

[QUOTE="George_M"]The problem is that a lot of sellers that sell fakes have a good feedback percentage. I think most buyers can't spot the fakes.George_M

I don't mean their feedback is fake. I mean that a lot of buyers don't realize the game they get is fake and leave positive feedback.

ah, ok. i was a little confused.

George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 George_M

Bottom line, make sure to buy from a US seller. Handheld_Dude91

That's good advice and will increase your chances of getting a legitimate game a lot, but still check out the seller carefully. The bootleg I got was from a US seller.

pimpmusterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 pimpmusterd
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="nZiFFLe"]

Dr_Snood

Yea there is a Pokemon platinum out there on Ebay for $20, but it is a seller from Hong Kong so I am a little worried about whether I should buy it or not. He/She has a good rep, but Idk if I trust someone from Hong Kong.

DONT DO IT! I bought Chrono Trigger from someone in Hong Kong and he had good rep and it was a pirated copy i think because i cant get past the first warp point. It sucks because i got it for like $15 and was excited now im down that money and no game. :(

DirtyDozen520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DirtyDozen520
Member since 2009 • 90 Posts
uhmm. Well I bought: A Used Cobalt Blue Nintendo DS for 96 bucks.. Pokemon Platinum from HONG KONG..Works great Final Fantasy XII Final Fantasy IV all of this in the past 3 weeks.
George_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 George_M

Pokemon Platinum from HONG KONG..Works greatDirtyDozen520

If I was you I'd try to verify it's legitimate. A common problem with fakes is that they occasionally corrupt save data. How are you gonna feel if you fire it up one day and 40+ hours of gameplay are just gone?

If you bought it within the past 3 weeks you still have recourse with PayPal.

SUPA_GLUSTEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SUPA_GLUSTEE
Member since 2008 • 958 Posts

Yes but only buy from people who have selled quite a few and have a 90%+ positive feedback

The_Bunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Bunk
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts
I buy most of my games from half.com or amazon marketplace, whichever has the cheapest of the particular game. I have been happy and found great deals with both and I don't have to wait around to see if I won the auction. You can use your ebay account for half.com, and they both have good feedback systems.
KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

Try Half.com. It is hosted by eBay and shows the cheapest prices mostly from positive sellers. I bought all my PS3 and DS games from there. They all came fast and as described.

princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I just bought WarioWare Touched off of Ebay. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of this week or next week. I always avoid international sellers and games that only have the stock photo. Plus I look for a really high rep.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#25 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts
I buy most of my games from half.com or amazon marketplace, whichever has the cheapest of the particular game. I have been happy and found great deals with both and I don't have to wait around to see if I won the auction. You can use your ebay account for half.com, and they both have good feedback systems.The_Bunk
I've gotten bootleg GBA games from Amazon Marketplace so beware of that place as well. This was before I even knew about the bootlegs and things are even worse there without pictures. Only reason I caught it was because I ordered Fire Emblem and the lady sent me Fire Emblem Sacred Stones for free with the order. I already had Sacred Stones in my collection and noticed that the labels were different. I did some digging after that and found out that not only was the copy of Sacred Stones that the lady sent me a bootleg, but so was the regular Fire Emblem. The seller was at 100% feedback as well.
DirtyDozen520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DirtyDozen520
Member since 2009 • 90 Posts

[QUOTE="DirtyDozen520"]Pokemon Platinum from HONG KONG..Works greatGeorge_M

If I was you I'd try to verify it's legitimate. A common problem with fakes is that they occasionally corrupt save data. How are you gonna feel if you fire it up one day and 40+ hours of gameplay are just gone?

If you bought it within the past 3 weeks you still have recourse with PayPal.

Well everything seems normal but I haven't really played diamond or pearl so I'm not positive? Theres no freezes, glitches, anything.. One question though, is the "poketch" supposed to be on the bottom screen? just making sure everyones version has a poketch lol
MorganMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MorganMonster
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

Thanks for the tips, everybody! I'll stay away from Hong Kong!

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

I only buy from people that have a good rep, because they're normally safe. Dr_Snood

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

It really depends on seller to seller, some are legit & some are scum. The items could be loose, missing or incomplete parts, or just plain broken. You could buy them use, but you maybe taking a risk, I strongly advise buying them unopen & new. But even then the item discription could be false or late, be sure to request a refund within a 30 days if something is amiss. Good luck in your decissions.