YVeltal159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By YVeltal159
Member since 2017 • 18 Posts

LOZ:Breath of the Wild has received a critical acclaim due to its newly introduced open-world and voice-acting.Has Breath of the Wild surpassed the legacy of Ocarina of Time of being the Best Zelda Game Ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@yveltal159: I'd have to say yes.

What makes Breath so great is that it sort of combines elements from the other games - I see the original LOZ, I see Windwaker, I see Skyward Sword, I see Twilight Princess, etc etc - and then adds in a large open world. It takes Zelda in a new direction gameplay-wise. It might not be as original as Majora's Mask was, or have the most noteworthy story of a Zelda game. But then it's not trying to reinvent the wheel - it is basically finding the 'center' of the Zelda game worlds, and then giving you this massive version of Hyrule to roam around in with an emphasis on expendable weapons.

Does it override other Zelda games? No. OOT is still great, Link's Awakening is still great - you can go back and play any of the other Zelda games and enjoy them the same as always. It really has broken Zelda out of its rut that it has been in for several years now, while trying to figure out how to get beyond the similarity of previous games in the series.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

it's certainly one of the most memorable. Gamers will be talking about this game for many years down the track. Just like we do for other old gems

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ocarina and breath are tied for me :)

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

For me it is, easily.

Twilight_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Twilight_Link
Member since 2017 • 11 Posts

It would be easily my game of the year and maybe the best game of all time. If talked about the best Zelda game. It could be between Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
deactivated-5cc06aedd290c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
Member since 2016 • 45 Posts

I never thought Zelda Ocarina was the best game ever made, but I think Breath of the wild is. I've been playing zelda since I picked up the first one in 1988 and have bought every zelda game since then (except the cdi games, which i didnt know existed.. but i do own all the horrible cartoons).

I won't gush over botw, suffice to say I can't find anything else to play now except 25 year old 2d games since they last me 20 minutes and take no thought, anything modern just pales in comparison to zelda botw and I find myself quickly wishing I could climb the mountains around me. Witcher 3 is boring, i have no interest in horizon zero dawn, fallout4 is a joke.. I'm just waiting for hard mode in zelda on july 31. Anticipating DLC more than actual games.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Whoever plays this as their first Zelda has huge standards put in them now hahaha. Like in 15 years they will be, back when I started - this game was soo much better. i do love the series :))

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

A Link to the Past is still my favorite, but BotW is up there for sure.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Twilight Princess is my favorite. I've yet to get a Switch or BotW.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Breath of the Wild is amazing. But it lacked in a few areas that really make Zelda, well, Zelda.

1. True dungeons. It's not to say that the beasts weren't super creative (manipulating a dungeon is an amazing concept), but a traditional dungeon with multiple enemies, that are large in scope was sorely missing.

2. Music. There was just too few amazing music pieces in BoW. When Zelda is often known for it's high quality soundtrack, this was a disappointment.

3. Story. Simply, I would have liked to have seen a few more story scenes (I thought they were very well done). I'm definitely not saying something like Metal Gear, but a few more scenes than what we got.

All in all, my favorite Zelda is still Twilight Princess, but BoW is not far behind.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

From a gameplay perspective I'd absolutely say so. It seems to capture what Miyamoto intended with the first one.

I still think Majora's Mask is my faorite game of all time, as well as the series. It's a nearly perfect marriage of storytelling and gameplay. It's nowhere near as open ended as BOTW but it is a finely tuned, structured experience.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I vote yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

Breath of the Wild is amazing. But it lacked in a few areas that really make Zelda, well, Zelda.

1. True dungeons. It's not to say that the beasts weren't super creative (manipulating a dungeon is an amazing concept), but a traditional dungeon with multiple enemies, that are large in scope was sorely missing.

2. Music. There was just too few amazing music pieces in BoW. When Zelda is often known for it's high quality soundtrack, this was a disappointment.

3. Story. Simply, I would have liked to have seen a few more story scenes (I thought they were very well done). I'm definitely not saying something like Metal Gear, but a few more scenes than what we got.

All in all, my favorite Zelda is still Twilight Princess, but BoW is not far behind.

You hit the nail on the head there. One thing I was a bit disappointed in is that there were no sub-weapons or tools to aid you in BotW. You have the paraglider, and then you have expendable swords, shields and bows and arrows. And then there's the Shiekah Slate with its 5 "app tools". And of course, your trusty horse, and the abilities of your comrades. But this game was not built with the same sort of item system in mind as other Zelda games. There's no titular item - no staff of seasons, there's no harp of the ages, no ocarina, no wand, no minish cap. Likewise, there's no hookshot, seed shooter, power bracelet, magic hammer, etc, etc.

Perhaps the fair trade-off is that you get to equip different sets of armor, can use spears, axes, claymores and brooms in addition to swords, and have the ability to climb steep mountains without any sort of climbing gear.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@Ovirew said:
@sonic_spark said:

You hit the nail on the head there. One thing I was a bit disappointed in is that there were no sub-weapons or tools to aid you in BotW. You have the paraglider, and then you have expendable swords, shields and bows and arrows. And then there's the Shiekah Slate with its 5 "app tools". And of course, your trusty horse, and the abilities of your comrades. But this game was not built with the same sort of item system in mind as other Zelda games. There's no titular item - no staff of seasons, there's no harp of the ages, no ocarina, no wand, no minish cap. Likewise, there's no hookshot, seed shooter, power bracelet, magic hammer, etc, etc.

Perhaps the fair trade-off is that you get to equip different sets of armor, can use spears, axes, claymores and brooms in addition to swords, and have the ability to climb steep mountains without any sort of climbing gear.

I very much agree with that. I think the hookshot was a missed opportunity, and some other weapons that weren't necessarily "melee" weapons.

I think that BoW is in some ways a test project. It's like here, we're going to focus on the open world concept and the next time around, we'll fix the quirks or add more into it now that we have this down pat.

So if anything, I am super excited for the Switch Zelda - whenever it comes.

bronzeheart92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bronzeheart92
Member since 2017 • 129 Posts

I can definitely see the appeal here. So much to do in this vast land of hyrule. At least it's not like Ubisoft and their brand of open world, right?

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

I own every Zelda (aside from CD-i ones, and it's not as if they're in the running anyways) and it's a tough call. I could see people argue in favor of a handful of Zelda's to crown as best, but I do beleive BotW is both my fave and best.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

I havent cleared BotW yet but i will say from what i've seen thus far, this game sets a new standard. A lot of crap just doesnt cut it anymore after playing this. I almost feel sorry for Bathesda porting that trash Skyrim on this system. I mean... really who would play that unless mods are available with this game to compete against?

So far, my only minor gripes with this game is i feel they went a little too extreme with weapon durability (although i do see why it was implemented and think it was a good idea). And i would have prefered if the abilities on the tablet-slate relic were a little bit more useful (magnetic items dont show up much, bombs do little damage, etc)

But i'm only somewhat bothered by those two issues.