Is ARMS a potential SERIOUS fighter?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Is ARMS a potential SERIOUS fighter? (16 votes)

ARMS is the next TEKKEN/MORTAL KOMBAT/STREET FIGHTER 19%
It won't be as good as the big shots, but pretty close 19%
Hmm na, will be fun but nothing serious 13%
Umm No. just no. more of a party game with friends 44%
Pffft get out of here! Won't even be a good game, looks Wii boxing 13%

So I'm personally VERY hyped for this game. The latest Nintendo Direct sold it well for me and I'm loving all the extra game modes. I've included a video I made talking about some of these strengths. Can't wait for this!!!

• 
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

it will be like smash bros....imo

meant to be a party game but will be able to play competitive.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5234 Posts

The fact that a well-respective gaming magazine like EDGE puts ARMS on its recent front cover tells you something. Also, according to the GameSpot preview, it has more depth than many people think.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I think it has more depth than it initially appeared to have, it looked like a fancy Wii Sports Boxing at first glance. I don't think it'll be being played at EVO anytime soon. But I think it will be sort of like the Ultimate Ninja Storm games, a lot of flash and arcade play, with layers not necessarily hidden--but not at forefront of gameplay.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

it will be like smash bros....imo

meant to be a party game but will be able to play competitive.

Think it will do great at parties.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aki2017

@onesiphorus said:

The fact that a well-respective gaming magazine like EDGE puts ARMS on its recent front cover tells you something. Also, according to the GameSpot preview, it has more depth than many people think.

It's certainly getting attention, and I am biased because I have a lot of faith in Nintendo games. It is getting me more interested the more I learn though. Yeah exactly, I noticed that article was out while I was putting the video together. Wasn't surprised I wasn't the only one with those thoughts

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Aki2017

@Sepewrath said:

I think it has more depth than it initially appeared to have, it looked like a fancy Wii Sports Boxing at first glance. I don't think it'll be being played at EVO anytime soon. But I think it will be sort of like the Ultimate Ninja Storm games, a lot of flash and arcade play, with layers not necessarily hidden--but not at forefront of gameplay.

Yeah those Naruto games are actually pretty decent!! I think like Smash brothers, looks can be deceiving ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I don't think it will be competitive on the same level as games like Street Fighter. Maybe, among fans of ARMS, there might be some people who play pretty competitively and are good at it. But I don't think this is a game series that is really geared towards serious, competitive play. At least that's my impression right now, having not played it or anything yet.

I would have to say it's really just a fun game, with lots of content in the package.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aki2017

@Ovirew said:

I don't think it will be competitive on the same level as games like Street Fighter. Maybe, among fans of ARMS, there might be some people who play pretty competitively and are good at it. But I don't think this is a game series that is really geared towards serious, competitive play. At least that's my impression right now, having not played it or anything yet.

I would have to say it's really just a fun game, with lots of content in the package.

Realistically I think that's fairly accurate your guess there. A really fun game with lots of content, but the few who want to play seriously can probably make it happen

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The simplicity (if it exists) of moves will make or break this game in terms it being a good fighter. Many of the other fighting games lack appeal to me because of the complicated nature of many of the moves and it becomes more of a p.i.t.a. than anything enjoyable.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aki2017

@Solaryellow said:

The simplicity (if it exists) of moves will make or break this game in terms it being a good fighter. Many of the other fighting games lack appeal to me because of the complicated nature of many of the moves and it becomes more of a p.i.t.a. than anything enjoyable.

Hopefully I'm not wrong, but I feel Nintendo would try to avoid making a game that hasn't too much a difficulty curve to get into. would be nice to get players who normally dont play fighting games into this. Sort of like how Splatoon attracted some players who normally wouldn't play a competitive online shooter :)

Twilight_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Twilight_Link
Member since 2017 • 11 Posts

Getting bored with a FPS game and i see that ARM is quite competitive in my opinion. Not sure until we give more information on E3.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KBFloYd

i just played about 40min in the test punch

played party mode online....

ummm... exactly as i said. tons of party fun but definitely can be played competetive.... you can definitely do some moves that take skill.

i have to say i loved it. idk if ill like it more than splatoon.... but nintendo have done it again.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KBFloYd

the only trouble i had slightly in arms is movement. i was using motion controls and moving forward back and to the side take practice.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I think it will be more complex than Smash Bros, and that has been featured at EVO. People keep brushing the game off, but if you actually pay attention to the preview vids, there is quite a bit of strategy there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Well holy crap, I was wrong - this game has definitely got some competitive play!

The one person playing as Min-Min...dunno if it was any of you? But they played like 90 matches or so during the thing and were starting to get good with her. My best moment was at the end when I finally defeated her with Ribbon Girl, and even then it was a close match.

I got to try out everyone at least once. I was starting to get a little better with Spring Man, but I could see that some of the other people playing as him had gotten better at using him. I like DNA Man's shield, but his laser weapon missed sometimes, I think I needed more practice time to perfect my punch aims. I'm honestly not sure that I have any one favorite character, maybe just there are certain arms that I really like. The Boomerang, Tri-shot thing, Slapamander and the mech girl's main weapons were all useful, among others.

Hardest matches were the 3-player versus matches. It's so hard to focus on two opponents on opposite sides of you. You have to get good at dashing and moving in this game. Has something of a learning curve, which I think playing more matches and the actual game will help with.

I got to play volley ball at one point also, and that was kind of fun.

Hoping I'll be able to get in to play again tomorrow, since I'm off and there will be three separate play times.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention... ARMS is not a game to play out in public, or in your car. You will not have the space, and it will be embarrassing. And people will be alerted to the fact that you own a $300 game system.

I went to a fast food place with the intention of playing inside there, and while I had the space, I couldn't find an opportune moment to play with customers coming and going. I then tried to play outside of another fast food place, and did, but was losing badly because I did not have the space in my vehicle. I managed to get home and get hooked up and played my best matches a few minutes ago. ARMS is most definitely a game to play in the comfort of your own house.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KBFloYd

@Ovirew said:

Well holy crap, I was wrong - this game has definitely got some competitive play!

The one person playing as Min-Min...dunno if it was any of you? But they played like 90 matches or so during the thing and were starting to get good with her. My best moment was at the end when I finally defeated her with Ribbon Girl, and even then it was a close match.

I got to try out everyone at least once. I was starting to get a little better with Spring Man, but I could see that some of the other people playing as him had gotten better at using him. I like DNA Man's shield, but his laser weapon missed sometimes, I think I needed more practice time to perfect my punch aims. I'm honestly not sure that I have any one favorite character, maybe just there are certain arms that I really like. The Boomerang, Tri-shot thing, Slapamander and the mech girl's main weapons were all useful, among others.

Hardest matches were the 3-player versus matches. It's so hard to focus on two opponents on opposite sides of you. You have to get good at dashing and moving in this game. Has something of a learning curve, which I think playing more matches and the actual game will help with.

I got to play volley ball at one point also, and that was kind of fun.

Hoping I'll be able to get in to play again tomorrow, since I'm off and there will be three separate play times.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention... ARMS is not a game to play out in public, or in your car. You will not have the space, and it will be embarrassing. And people will be alerted to the fact that you own a $300 game system.

I went to a fast food place with the intention of playing inside there, and while I had the space, I couldn't find an opportune moment to play with customers coming and going. I then tried to play outside of another fast food place, and did, but was losing badly because I did not have the space in my vehicle. I managed to get home and get hooked up and played my best matches a few minutes ago. ARMS is most definitely a game to play in the comfort of your own house.

i suppose if you want to play in public you will have to use a pro controller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@KBFloYd: Well, there was no option for the other control methods on the test punch. I would try to play it in handheld mode before I would with a pro controller, but that's just me. I really think the motion control is going to be the way to play, but that might be just because I don't know how you would aim your punches without it?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KBFloYd

@Ovirew said:

@KBFloYd: Well, there was no option for the other control methods on the test punch. I would try to play it in handheld mode before I would with a pro controller, but that's just me. I really think the motion control is going to be the way to play, but that might be just because I don't know how you would aim your punches without it?

there had to have been options....

some people said they used the pro controller.

maybe no options in the game....but.... if you turn off your switch and turn it on with only the pro controller then the game will automatically switch to the pro?

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Aki2017

Nice to hear the test punch proved fun. Missed my chance to play but I've put time aside tomorrow to make sure I get some hands on. I'm very jelly of those of you who were able to play!!

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Aki2017

Finally got to try the game myself, this morning! Mixed feeling, but left with a good overall impression. It's certainly harder to learn at first than expected, but I think that's a good thing. I liked having a chance to try all the different modes and it ran soo smoothly! The animation was all fast and didn't see any slowdowns during all the action. Small detail, but I really liked that while in the lobby. You could see the other matches and the moment each player takes damage. Made it feel less boring waiting. Verdict, definitely want more hands on and I can see the familiarity with the director from Mario Kart 8

Twilight_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Twilight_Link
Member since 2017 • 11 Posts

The lobby is really cool with the player could do some moves while waiting the other player. First i thought the motion control would be crap, but after i played my test punch, the game is awesome. For me the game is really selling me to get it on the launch.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Aki2017

@twilight_link said:

The lobby is really cool with the player could do some moves while waiting the other player. First i thought the motion control would be crap, but after i played my test punch, the game is awesome. For me the game is really selling me to get it on the launch.

yeha I noticed that!! like the pulsing head and half circles you could do. It did convince me further as well like yourself. I do like all the different game modes, and the beach ball game was surprisingly fun as well

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

@aki2017 said:
@twilight_link said:

yeha I noticed that!! like the pulsing head and half circles you could do. It did convince me further as well like yourself. I do like all the different game modes, and the beach ball game was surprisingly fun as well

That's just mildly amusing to do. Hit the '+' button instead and you can try out some different arms while you wait. A training mode of sorts.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Aki2017

@Litchie said:
@aki2017 said:
@twilight_link said:

That's just mildly amusing to do. Hit the '+' button instead and you can try out some different arms while you wait. A training mode of sorts.

Ooo didn't even notice. Shall try next time!!

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

i suppose if you want to play in public you will have to use a pro controller.

The P.C. worked very well during the test punch. I absolutely refuse to play this game with motion controls.