Intec Wii Cooling Fan - How is it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
anyone have this? its $20 Canadian, and my Wii overheats.. it already has, causing the graphics card to overheat.. i need to send it to Nintendo, but im preparing for when i get my new Wii ... is this product Worth it?
T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 T3h1337Pwnz
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts
no its a way for nintendo to make more money, just like the wiimote skins, and the wii covers, and a lot more
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11985 Posts
I never buy any third party accessories.  Plus it's unecessary, the wii doesn't overheat.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 haziqonfire

I never buy any third party accessories. Plus it's unecessary, the wii doesn't overheat.gatsbythepig

mine sure as hell does.  

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts
Youw wii is defective allowing it to get hot or you have the wii in direct sunlights,  a very hot room or lots of dust. Get a real fan to cool the air in the room.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

no its a way for nintendo to make more money, just like the wiimote skins, and the wii covers, and a lot moreT3h1337Pwnz

Nintendo doesn't make the fan so please research before you throw stones.

The Wii doesn't need a fan, if it has a problem with heat you need a new Wii. Not something to help prolong the problem. 

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="T3h1337Pwnz"]no its a way for nintendo to make more money, just like the wiimote skins, and the wii covers, and a lot moreJaysonguy

The Wii doesn't need a fan, if it has a problem with heat you need a new Wii. Not something to help prolong the problem.

so wait, the majority of wiis dont overheat when on wii connect 24? 

shintopig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shintopig
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

Where's your Wii?!  I haven't heard of many Wii's overheating in the first place which is why I was puzzled when they came out with the cooler.  Try to move your Wii out into a more open space perhaps not in that enclosed space near the rest of your TV machinery (DVD player, receiver, VCR etc . . .).  If you move the Wii it won't reheat as easily.  But the cooler I heard works pretty well . . . so it's worth getting but the $20 or so price tag is a little wierd . . . considering that the Wii for most people rarely overheats.  So to save you the money just move the console out into the open and perhaps give it a break after an hour or two . . .

Yeah, I also heard it's kinda a way for Nintendo to just get more money.  Coolers are really for PC's PS3's and definately XBOX 360's (to prevent the infamous red-light syndrome), not the cool-running, hardware-light Wii.

T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 T3h1337Pwnz

[QUOTE="T3h1337Pwnz"]no its a way for nintendo to make more money, just like the wiimote skins, and the wii covers, and a lot moreJaysonguy

its a way for other companies to make money off nintendo's product 

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 haziqonfire

hmm.. i thought it was where my wii was but i've been moving it constantly and it still over heats. - at first i was ignoring it but since the GPU overheated, i need a new one.

i now have my wii horizontally, with nothing around it - on its own shelf.

shintopig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shintopig
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

Well try to stand it up using the stand . . . then make sure that you're room is not too warm . . . if your room is too warm us a fan or simply turn up the AC.  But Nintendo must have had problems like yours so for rare exceptions such as yourself the cooling fan is a good purchase it seems . . . better than having to constantly deal with that problem . . . and it's not the WiiConnect24 . . . that does not cause heating of any significant amount

T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 T3h1337Pwnz
i have my wii squished together between my ps2 and my TV land its only frozen up once
theICE_MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 theICE_MAN
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts
mines never overheated. actually i was at gamestop and pointed out the fan and the clerk actually laughed and said something to the effect of its a waste of money.

if your wii is over heating you either arent giving it ventalation(ie. its not on the stand or something) or its deffective.
TheMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheMunkey
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
My Wii never overheats and I've had some pretty long play sessions without powering it off.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 haziqonfire
guess it is just my wii
EnderofGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 EnderofGames
Member since 2007 • 92 Posts
The fan helps it a lot, especially with freezing. You can also get a stand, but I don't know if it's good.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 haziqonfire

The fan helps it a lot, especially with freezing. You can also get a stand, but I don't know if it's good. EnderofGames

my wii never froze, it only over heats.. and appearntly thats not a problem with most wii's, so ill see if its any different with the new replacement i get 

manny_stlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 manny_stlye
Member since 2003 • 940 Posts

There is no need for this at all lol!!!

T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 T3h1337Pwnz

The fan helps it a lot, especially with freezing.You can also get a stand, but I don't know if it's good. EnderofGames

what? i didnt get that at all... 

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haziqonfire
^^ ya
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts

There's been a lot of posts about overheating Wii's on here (and many other forums), so it does happen. Just do a google search for overheating Wii's and artifacting and you can see for yourself. This guy's saying his Wii overheated, and people are still telling him "OMFGZ TEH WII DUSN'T OVERHEET!!". The way I see things, you shouldn't have to worry about having it in sunlight, having a regular fan on it all the time, etc. I've had consoles since I was three years old, and I've never had to worry about those kinds of things. I've just kept them off the carpet, and they've been fine. The only console I ever had that overheated was the PS1, and those overheated no matter where you put them. I'm not bashing Nintendo at all, I love the Wii. It's the only console I have this gen and I'm fine with that... but after reading 50 or so people on gaming forums talking about how they had to send back their consoles due to overheating, I'm thinking that there may be a slight problem with the Wii overhating. I know, I tend to have a logical way of thinking... it's a curse. I do wish Ninty would put out an update that made the fan run for like 10 minutes every hour or so when it's on standby... it just seems logical. I don't see anything wrong with buying a $20 fan to protect your investment. Sure, Nintendo are awesome about repairs, but it's also a hassle having to send it in so you can get VC transferred, etc. Not to mention having to go without the Wii for a couple weeks or so. 

But that's not really the question, he asked about the product and how it works, not your personal opinion about the Wii's overheating problem (or lack of).

To ANSWER the question; The INTEC cooler does work. I bought one because my Wii was feeling too hot (And it's not in direct sunlight or in an unusually hot room, and no, I don't smoke around it either. As soon as the outside temperature got above 60*, it was feeling worryingly hot). It definitely kept it cooler, there was no doubt about that.... but it's LOUD. It's also cheaply made, and the fan itself seemed to come more loose inside the enclosure after taking the Wii to my sister's house a few time... just from moving it around. This made it even LOUDER. In the end, I couldn't even hear my TV over it without cranking the volume, and I took it off. For now I'm keeping WC24 off, but there's a really killer-looking fan stand coming out from EB/Gamestop at the end of the month that I plan on getting. It also has cool blue lights and from what I can tell looks pretty slick.

T3h1337Pwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 T3h1337Pwnz
yea i heard it was loud too, and thats a big reason i like the wii, silence
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 haziqonfire

@Decepticondevil.

thanks, i was wondering.. cuz my friend recently got a wii(About 2 weeks ago) and his is going through the same problems as mine. i guess ill wait for the stand thing, but whats it called? i will search for it on their website.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

[QUOTE="gatsbythepig"]I never buy any third party accessories. Plus it's unecessary, the wii doesn't overheat.Haziqonfire

mine sure as hell does.

Blame the standby connection, its a useless unsupported feature that only causes internal damage as the fan never kicks in. I've started seeing artifacts in some games now :|Â