Improving picture quality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

policia0354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 policia0354
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts
I'm currently playing my Wii system on a 32" 720p LG HDTV, and it appears awfully pixellated even if using composite cables. How do i configure my Wii to acheive its best possible picture quality?
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

I'm currently playing my Wii system on a 32" 720p LG HDTV, and it appears awfully pixellated even if using composite cables. How do i configure my Wii to acheive its best possible picture quality? policia0354

that's all you could do. wii games are jaggie...

supergod1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 supergod1
Member since 2004 • 327 Posts
Stand further away, simple.
Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#4 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts
The Wii is not made for HDTV's. It looks a lot better on SDTV's.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

First of all do you have first party cables?

Secondly is your TV trying to upscale to 720?

Lastly, you HAVE set your Wii to 480p right?

BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BET8390
Member since 2006 • 4193 Posts
USe Component cables not composite.
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
the best you can hope for is using component cables in 480p but it's not going to make a huge difference.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
Although you've done this already I bet, you have to go iinto the Wii options and change the settings to 480p instead of 480i. (and of course widescreen 16:9). It won't do 720p and if your tv is scaling it, it may look more blocky, so make sure that after you set those options, that your tv is actually set for 480p also (or at least turn off upscaling).
dinb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 dinb
Member since 2003 • 1185 Posts

Here is my patented trick: go into picture settings on your tv and reduce the "sharpness" setting to 0. It will make the game somewhere blurry, but it will also get rid of some of the jagginess. It will be up to you to decide if you prefer sharp/more jaggie or more blurry/less jaggie look.

y2kzorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 y2kzorak
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

Here is something I don't often see suggested, probably because no one buys stand-alone DVD recorders anymore, or they don't feel like spending extra money:

Get an upscaling DVD recorder (recorder is the key) that does at least 1080i, since those usually are built with HDMI now. Plug the Wii into the DVD recorder using the best input the DVD recorder has (usually S-Video). Make sure you're using HDMI or component to run from the recorder to your TV. Turn everything on, and set your DVD recorder to the input. One you've got the image up, set the DVD player to upscale the image to the maximum resolution of your TV.

Basically, playing upscaled Wii games is like watching an upscaled DVD. And if you've ever watched an upscaled DVD on a 1080i TV, you should know how much of a difference it makes. If you haven't, let me tell you: It's a big difference.

blueteeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 blueteeth
Member since 2006 • 1158 Posts

The Wii is not made for HDTV's. It looks a lot better on SDTV's.Super-Mario-Fan

well i have a 420p mini hd lcd tv and wii looks way way way way better than it did on my old crappy sd tv

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

Here is something I don't often see suggested, probably because no one buys stand-alone DVD recorders anymore, or they don't feel like spending extra money:

Get an upscaling DVD recorder (recorder is the key) that does at least 1080i, since those usually are built with HDMI now. Plug the Wii into the DVD recorder using the best input the DVD recorder has (usually S-Video). Make sure you're using HDMI or component to run from the recorder to your TV. Turn everything on, and set your DVD recorder to the input. One you've got the image up, set the DVD player to upscale the image to the maximum resolution of your TV.

Basically, playing upscaled Wii games is like watching an upscaled DVD. And if you've ever watched an upscaled DVD on a 1080i TV, you should know how much of a difference it makes. If you haven't, let me tell you: It's a big difference.

y2kzorak

lol I'll think I'll try that, sounds interesting, wonder why I didn't think of it :P.

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

y2kzorak

Interesting idea, but your right I don't know if I'd want to shell out a lot more cash on just upconverting.

BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BET8390
Member since 2006 • 4193 Posts

Here is my patented trick: go into picture settings on your tv and reduce the "sharpness" setting to 0. It will make the game somewhere blurry, but it will also get rid of some of the jagginess. It will be up to you to decide if you prefer sharp/more jaggie or more blurry/less jaggie look.

dinb
Patented? This has been done a million times not new :lol: