I'm taking a stand

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Haze_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Haze_101
Member since 2007 • 346 Posts
I'm tired of watching the VC games being rated poorly because they can't stand up to todays game in things like the graphic or sound departments. I don't understand why GS rates VC games and compares them to like 360 graphics when the Wii isnt even at that calibur. The games on the VC were great at the TIME THEY WERE RELEASED! Even though most old school games could blow some new games out of the water, they weren't meant to stand up toe to toe with todays games and for some reason GS dosent get that so I propose that either:

1.GS adopts a fair rating system for VC games that rates them based on the years when they came out and not at todays standard of gaming.

or

2.GS should not rate them at all and just let us know when they are released and be done with it

Anybody with me?
Acidrain1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Acidrain1988
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
vc games shouldnt be reviewd imo
Evolving_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Evolving_Jesus
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts
its only a matter of time before they stop... more and more games will come... they'll just start showing what they rated it like 20 years ago... i hope... thats what really matters... how can you really rate these old games again in this day in age??? thats like getting your morals from a book 2000 years old... whats wrong with slavery???
Haze_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Haze_101
I dont want it to stop eventually I want it to stop now! I say we start a petition to either make it fair or stop it all together if your with me post here
Evolving_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Evolving_Jesus
id rather see the old review... they dont need to waste their time rereviewing the games... there is no point in that.
Avatar image for YusukeUnleashed
YusukeUnleashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 YusukeUnleashed
Member since 2005 • 909 Posts
Yeah im with you. its just more proof that gs is anti-fun. i would prefer a fair rating system, because no matter how biased they are it still gives me a small idea of what the games like.
Acidrain1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Acidrain1988
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
i love the christian bashing in your post, 
JarrodTagni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JarrodTagni
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts
I agree with point 1. have that along side the original score.
Evolving_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Evolving_Jesus
i love the christian bashing in your post, Acidrain1988
what are you talking about???
Avatar image for YusukeUnleashed
YusukeUnleashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YusukeUnleashed
Member since 2005 • 909 Posts
i love the christian bashing in your post, Acidrain1988

I would'nt really consider that christian bashing. i am a christian and i dont find it inappropriate or anything. people have their own belief and i respect that. now if it said "christians are idiots" that would be a different case.
Evolving_Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Evolving_Jesus
[QUOTE="Acidrain1988"]i love the christian bashing in your post, YusukeUnleashed

I would'nt really consider that christian bashing. i am a christian and i dont find it inappropriate or anything. people have their own belief and i respect that. now if it said "christians are idiots" that would be a different case.

your a good man.
david_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 david_is_basic
Member since 2003 • 11524 Posts
vc games shouldn't be reviewd imoAcidrain1988
I agree. I do not think it is a fair comparison. They should get their own section. I don't like seeing VC games in the top Wii games, as well as upcoming games. I'm trying to look for upcoming released...hey that sounds sweet! Wait no, its a VC game. The VC is wonderful, but it doesn't belong where it's being put.
SonicTheMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SonicTheMonkey
Member since 2004 • 2709 Posts
i completely agree, the vc ratings is so annoying >:( A simple thumbs up or thumbs down would be a MUCH better choice imo
johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
while i dont hold it in such a huge regard....whether or not some idiot on a site agrees with me or not... i dont think it makes sense to review a game that's a classic in comparison to current games....i mean to me gameplay of older games stacks up better than most of the crap that is released today even some of the good games but of course the graphics and sound wont be as good.
xboxshenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 xboxshenron
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
i agree
they should rate everything the same except possibly the controls
Avatar image for Stonetowerghost
Stonetowerghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#17 Stonetowerghost
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts
Gerstmann was beyond fair with Ocarina of Time. The game's been around for almost ten years; that's saying alot. They're not Wii-bashing; Game reviews are there to give a perspective on what a game is worth. Gamespot isn't out to get the Wii. Even if they were, it wouldn't affect newly shipped consoles being sold out in under 10 minutes while several PS3s gather dust in their stacks.
Avatar image for Breakfast_Clubber
Breakfast_Clubber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Breakfast_Clubber
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts
i like that they rate the virtual console games, and no, their ratings are not "fair;" however, in my four years at this site i have found them to be wholly consistent. you have fifty posts, i don't... which is cool and all, it's just that you've probably read, what, mabye a few dozen reviews... as far as i'm concerned, they are all consistent with one another. it's up to you to understand their system.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
vc games shouldnt be reviewd imoAcidrain1988
I agree, Its just isn't fair to rate games that come out years ago.
Haze_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Haze_101
i like that they rate the virtual console games, and no, their ratings are not "fair;" however, in my four years at this site i have found them to be wholly consistent. you have fifty posts, i don't... which is cool and all, it's just that you've probably read, what, mabye a few dozen reviews... as far as i'm concerned, they are all consistent with one another. it's up to you to understand their system.Breakfast_Clubber

I've been around for years I just never bothered to make an account untill somebody posted something that pissed me off and I had to say something I know how GS reviews go and in my opinion most of them are BS and bias when it comes to Nintendo and also Genesis and Dreamcast back in the day
joespimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 joespimpin
Member since 2006 • 817 Posts
I'm tired of watching the VC games being rated poorly because they can't stand up to todays game in things like the graphic or sound departments. I don't understand why GS rates VC games and compares them to like 360 graphics when the Wii isnt even at that calibur. The games on the VC were great at the TIME THEY WERE RELEASED! Even though most old school games could blow some new games out of the water, they weren't meant to stand up toe to toe with todays games and for some reason GS dosent get that so I propose that either:

1.GS adopts a fair rating system for VC games that rates them based on the years when they came out and not at todays standard of gaming.

or

2.GS should not rate them at all and just let us know when they are released and be done with it

Anybody with me?
Haze_101

Your 100% wrong.

This is the Wii Dilemma!  VC games are not rated the same as Wii, 360 and PS3 games.  Not even close.  They are however rated by how well they hold up today.  In other words how well does the experience translate to new gamers today.  Of course the games aren't going to have the graphics sound ect of today's games, that is obsurd to even think that is the scale.

This is the area where making a good game in the past meaning believable graphics, soud that fits the game, gameplay that is fun and presentation of those ideas can pay off big time.  A game holds up well because it was made well.

Don't forget the Wii just isn't for existing gamers.  It is also for non gamers and for people like myself that never played Sega systems besides the dreamcast and never played TG16, I find the reviews to be well informed for my buying purchases.

Because of reviews I have bought Gunstar Heroes and Ristar for the Genesis on the VC.  Reviews for VC games are very important when there is no game demo for us to try out.  Plus what if the game has technical problems on the VC?

Lastly don't forget VC wasn't first, 360 has live arcade with retro content.  Sony sort of has a store to.  VC content has to hold up, where as live arcade content is often updated for today's standards.

My advice to you is don't read the review if you don't like the idea of it, end of story.
venomblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 venomblack
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
Well, having played just about every game thats available on the VC, I pretty much don't need reviews to tell me what I would want :)
Haze_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Haze_101
[QUOTE="Haze_101"]I'm tired of watching the VC games being rated poorly because they can't stand up to todays game in things like the graphic or sound departments. I don't understand why GS rates VC games and compares them to like 360 graphics when the Wii isnt even at that calibur. The games on the VC were great at the TIME THEY WERE RELEASED! Even though most old school games could blow some new games out of the water, they weren't meant to stand up toe to toe with todays games and for some reason GS dosent get that so I propose that either:

or

Anybody with me?
joespimpin

Your 100% wrong.

This is the Wii Dilemma! VC games are not rated the same as Wii, 360 and PS3 games. Not even close. They are however rated by how well they hold up today. In other words how well does the experience translate to new gamers today. Of course the games aren't going to have the graphics sound ect of today's games, that is obsurd to even think that is the scale.

This is the area where making a good game in the past meaning believable graphics, soud that fits the game, gameplay that is fun and presentation of those ideas can pay off big time. A game holds up well because it was made well.

Don't forget the Wii just isn't for existing gamers. It is also for non gamers and for people like myself that never played Sega systems besides the dreamcast and never played TG16, I find the reviews to be well informed for my buying purchases.

Because of reviews I have bought Gunstar Heroes and Ristar for the Genesis on the VC. Reviews for VC games are very important when there is no game demo for us to try out. Plus what if the game has technical problems on the VC?

Lastly don't forget VC wasn't first, 360 has live arcade with retro content. Sony sort of has a store to. VC content has to hold up, where as live arcade content is often updated for today's standards.

My advice to you is don't read the review if you don't like the idea of it, end of story.

Thanks you've done nothing but prove my point further...they should be reviewing it of how they were back then because most old games by todays standards would get laughed at by new gamers. Reviewing by how it will hold up in todays world is wrong and I know I can just ignore the reviews I generally do but there are some people that actually go by what GS says.

Example: Ocarina of Time

When it came out in 1997 it got  perfect score. I understand since you cant use the stone of agony its a draw back but nobody ever used it in the first place I know I never did but it didnt deserve to lose 1.1 points because of it and they also the sound and graphics were brought down because it's old. DUH ITS SUPOSE TO BE OLD IT CAME OUT 10 YEARS AGO! GS dosen't seem to grasp that. OOT shouldn't have got less than 9.5. Now I bet in the next couple of days theres gonna be OOT bashing threads made by noobs agreeing with GS reviews.

OOT was one of the few games that has gotten a perfect score  and is probably one of the best games ever created
AT THAT TIME and possibly forever and it wasn't made to be graded 10 years later. And yes it is graded by todays standard if it wasnt why would they downgrade the graphics and sound? If its graded by how it would hold up today it would get a 10 no problem.

Oh yeah hold up today and todays standards are kind of the same thing just worded differently

What I just said probably makes no sense to anybody but me right now its 1:47 am and im supose to be studying I got forbidden>
Avatar image for Brad2theBone237
Brad2theBone237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brad2theBone237
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting pretty sick of looking at the Wii list and having to take the extra time to figure out which ones are VC games.
BViking78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BViking78
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
vc games shouldnt be reviewd imoAcidrain1988
Agree... they're old games so I couldn't care less about reviews or scores...
woodsa23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 woodsa23
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
It doesn't really make sense to review decade old games on the same scale as current games. The claim that "they need to show how they hold up by today's standards" is bogus because, after all, they are a decade or more old, and the retro experience isn't about deciding whether I should go out and buy Lost Planet or Contra III. At the same time, reviews are helpful for people who never played the classics, and need help deciding between them. So, why not drop review scores for classic games altogether? Or at least make it clear that the scale is different. My preference is for the first- forcing people to actually read what's said about a game, rather than fixating on a number. While we're at it, let's ban review scores altogether, forever putting an end to God-know's how many "flop" and "bias" threads.    
MarioFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MarioFanatic
Member since 2003 • 6153 Posts
i dont care what gamespot or ign or anyone else thinks of the vc games, especially if ive played them before (ie oot, mario bros, etc)
joespimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 joespimpin
[QUOTE="joespimpin"][QUOTE="Haze_101"]I'm tired of watching the VC games being rated poorly because they can't stand up to todays game in things like the graphic or sound departments. I don't understand why GS rates VC games and compares them to like 360 graphics when the Wii isnt even at that calibur. The games on the VC were great at the TIME THEY WERE RELEASED! Even though most old school games could blow some new games out of the water, they weren't meant to stand up toe to toe with todays games and for some reason GS dosent get that so I propose that either:

or

Anybody with me?
Haze_101

Your 100% wrong.

This is the Wii Dilemma! VC games are not rated the same as Wii, 360 and PS3 games. Not even close. They are however rated by how well they hold up today. In other words how well does the experience translate to new gamers today. Of course the games aren't going to have the graphics sound ect of today's games, that is obsurd to even think that is the scale.

This is the area where making a good game in the past meaning believable graphics, soud that fits the game, gameplay that is fun and presentation of those ideas can pay off big time. A game holds up well because it was made well.

Don't forget the Wii just isn't for existing gamers. It is also for non gamers and for people like myself that never played Sega systems besides the dreamcast and never played TG16, I find the reviews to be well informed for my buying purchases.

Because of reviews I have bought Gunstar Heroes and Ristar for the Genesis on the VC. Reviews for VC games are very important when there is no game demo for us to try out. Plus what if the game has technical problems on the VC?

Lastly don't forget VC wasn't first, 360 has live arcade with retro content. Sony sort of has a store to. VC content has to hold up, where as live arcade content is often updated for today's standards.

Thanks you've done nothing but prove my point further...they should be reviewing it of how they were back then because most old games by todays standards would get laughed at by new gamers. Reviewing by how it will hold up in todays world is wrong and I know I can just ignore the reviews I generally do but there are some people that actually go by what GS says.

Example: Ocarina of Time

When it came out in 1997 it got perfect score. I understand since you cant use the stone of agony its a draw back but nobody ever used it in the first place I know I never did but it didnt deserve to lose 1.1 points because of it and they also the sound and graphics were brought down because it's old. DUH ITS SUPOSE TO BE OLD IT CAME OUT 10 YEARS AGO! GS dosen't seem to grasp that. OOT shouldn't have got less than 9.5. Now I bet in the next couple of days theres gonna be OOT bashing threads made by noobs agreeing with GS reviews.

OOT was one of the few games that has gotten a perfect score and is probably one of the best games ever created
AT THAT TIME and possibly forever and it wasn't made to be graded 10 years later. And yes it is graded by todays standard if it wasnt why would they downgrade the graphics and sound? If its graded by how it would hold up today it would get a 10 no problem.

Oh yeah hold up today and todays standards are kind of the same thing just worded differently

What I just said probably makes no sense to anybody but me right now its 1:47 am and im supose to be studying I got forbidden>

So you want them to base OoT review off the N64 review. Last I checked you couldn't use a N64 controller on the Wii, and some of the graphics are better in spots while other parts are worse, but you want them to use the OoT review. You just proved my point with that example.

The experience is different on the Wii as compared to the N64. Also you have to look at things like value and so forth. Value and Tilt are scorable items correct. OoT on the N64 was an original and jump to 3D, but you have to ask yourself something important, is this really the same experience as you had on the N64? Its close but not quite. Also in the Value section has this game ever been rereleased at all? Nintendo is known for this type of marketing. If you have bought the game more than once it may not be a great value.

Unless you can prove to me that everything in the game is the exact same as the N64 version including the interface, which is different with the GC or forbidden>
joespimpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 joespimpin
to haze 101 it won't let me finish my post but I think you understand what I mean.

If the VC was a service instead of a buy per game situation I would agree with you 100% because you are paying for the service and not the game.  But we are paying for the game.  So I think we need to take into consideration the hardware and software emulation of the Wii, things like value and overall how well the game is translated as a complete experience.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

What is the point of the reviews? To see how "good" or "bad" the quality of the emulation is.

Also, other than seeing how the emulation is, one of the main points of virtual console review is to see whether or not its able to withstand the test of time, and to see how "high" or "low" it is in that respect - what is wrong with that? Nostalgia or not, its rare instance when person, of clear thinking, is able to enjoy most any game with same exact level of enjoyment from their first experience.

So, with that being said, why should any game, regardless of its "status," recieve same exact score if the feeling is not same exact way it was back than?

In addition, while nostalgia ("classic" status) should be put into consideration (and I believe that has been the case in fairly good majority reviews I have seen from GameSpot), however, at the same time, you need realize reason these games are looked with "modern" views is due to the fact a) regardless of the fact you "approve" or "disapprove," expections have raised onto higher bar since many, if not all, of these titles were originally released and b) we are spending "modern" money here.

To be simple, if you are going to take one feeling into thought, person should be fair, and therefore, consider the other feelings, otherwise, for my liking, that is sign of bias and/or unclear/incomplete thinking.

Furthermore, you ever think about the possibility that some folks may have not played some of these games in the past, and therefore, notstalgia is not really factor? Or, for that matter, there are good amount of folks in my situation that, despite being around back in that era of gaming, did not have chance to play some of these games?

Anyhow, while I am on the point, that brings my next point. While there are some folks who will feel nostalgia for these titles (if that is the case for you and some others, for whateve its worth, I approve) , on the other hand, you need remember there will be others who will not be as "forgiving," and therefore, see some (if not most) of these titles, or certain elements of them, as being "dated." Well, for those folks, this is what these reviews are for - to see, as I have said previously, whether or not if the titles will be able to with-hold the test of time?

For my liking, I find these reviews to be helpful and therefore, necessary. To say that views on "classic" titles cannot be changed is silly. That is being unfair to modern titles that have been able to imporve on some of these formulas or, in other cases, created others.

And therefore, with that being put into account, if they were truly classics, in my mind, they would be able to, in sense, on some kind of degree, compete with the modern stuff, and therefore, with-stand the test of time.

On side note, some of these titles were not exactly great to begin with. Honestly, Urban Champion? Pinball? Soccer? Tennis? I played each of those titles "back in the day" and to be honest, I was not exactly "thrilled" by them back than - I seriously doubt passing time has helped matters (if anything, it has only damaged them).

Couple of other notes:

- These games are reviewed with "score" system instead of "approval" due to the fact that how rating system works at GameSpot - what part of that logic are you having difficulty with?

- Other than Nintendo 64 titles, pratically most every one of these games were not reviewed by GameSpot "back in the day" due to the fact that website was not around. In another words - there is no such thing as "original" review for many of the titles that are available on the virtual console.

renagadez187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 renagadez187
Member since 2005 • 2088 Posts
I don't mind the reviews. The only thing I don't like is that some games get a lower score because it's not a good emulation or something like that. But it's good to see that classics like Mario and Zelda can take on the games that are released.
renagadez187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 renagadez187
Member since 2005 • 2088 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting pretty sick of looking at the Wii list and having to take the extra time to figure out which ones are VC games.Brad2theBone237
Isnt there a separate list for the VC titles?
Avatar image for jensen_slipknot
jensen_slipknot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 jensen_slipknot
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts

or

Anybody with me?
Haze_101
how exactly are you gonna take this stand? posting it isnt good enough.
Avatar image for lukasz_erecinsk
lukasz_erecinsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 lukasz_erecinsk
Member since 2004 • 1235 Posts
Sounds linke whining to me - wait until future games will be optimized for the system, and I am sure that GS and other webpages will rate them fairly.
porphyrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 porphyrous
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts
I'm a little confused by the ire expressed by the original writer. I've seen plenty of VC games rated very highly here. All the Mario titles are 7 or better, and a couple are pushing 9. They've also rated several TurboGrafx16 games very highly. What I *do* have a problem with is that in the review index, the VC titles are not marked as such. Right now they outnumber standard Wii titles 2 to 1. That's annoying to sift through. I'd like it if they put (VC) after the title in the index.
stinky_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 stinky_bomb
Member since 2006 • 488 Posts
dude who cares there just games its not like they have fealings and there crying becous the get a bad rating just let it go