IGN Reviews Ninja Gaiden 3 (WiiU)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DontGetBigIdeas
DontGetBigIdeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DontGetBigIdeas
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts

http://www.ign.com/games/ninja-gaiden-iii/wii-u-110811

Proof that you can turn around a game around? As a Ninja Gaiden fan, this just put me in the direction of considering a WiiU purchase...

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Not bad, 7.5/10 is certainly a massive improvement over the 3/10 the PS3 and 360 versions got, but i'm still not sold on it. I'll wait to see how some more reviews for the WiiU version fair from sites against the PS3/360 scores before I make up my mind on the game.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Proof that you can turn around a game around? As a Ninja Gaiden fan, this just put me in the direction of considering a WiiU purchase...

DontGetBigIdeas

So they made a terrible game average?

Ehhh, not exactly the strong start I'm sure they were looking for.

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

[QUOTE="DontGetBigIdeas"]

Jaysonguy

This is pretty intresting because I am a long time reader of IGN and the writers recently had a discussion of the IGN scale. I forgot which writer said this but he said that the problem with users are they are stuck in the grade school way of grading where 100 is an A and a 70 is a C. In their scale, which is is pretty apparent when you look at the review's summary 7.0 to 7.9 is good.
Avatar image for DontGetBigIdeas
DontGetBigIdeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DontGetBigIdeas
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts

[QUOTE="DontGetBigIdeas"]

Jaysonguy

7 is not average. I don't know where this thought process that 7 is a bad score came from, but it's silly. Lots of good games get 7s. To ignore a game because it's one lower than an 8, or one higher than 6, is selling a game short.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Sounds like a much better game. I can't wait for it.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

About what I expected. Its hard to polish a turd. They at least tried though but it wasn't just gameplay but also the whole story and boss design as well that needed fixing.

The other 2 or so reviews have a much more depressing take on it though :(.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

It's an improvement, yes, but from that review, it doesn't seem like Razor's Edge quite lives up to the legacy of greatness of the previous Ninja Gaiden games. Sounds like the gameplay still suffers from a poor design choice or two, and the points about the game looking inferior to the PS3/Xbox 360 versions visually and not being a great fit with the Gamepad just don't leave a positive impression at all, even if it is a "launch title." Still, it's one review.

In regards to Ninja Gaiden 3, it wasn't the more commonly mentioned flaws of the game that originally bugged me, but rather the fact that the game took so many changes to the formula that it weren't needed or anywhere near as enjoyable. The parts about the gore and difficultly didn't bother me as much as the fact that Team Ninja tried to make NG3 a more cinematic and emotionally involving game than the series ever needed to be and made tweaks to the game's core mechanics that just weren't as fun (like the Ninpo and Ultimate Techniques). I've only played the demo, but even that one level was enough to see that those changes just didn't mesh with the series' tried-and-true formula. And I got tired of soldiers crying "I don't wanna die! I don't wanna die!" in a hurry...

Team Ninja probably said it best when it mentioned that with NG3, they were trying to make an American burger, as opposed to sticking with making sushi (and as far as gaming goes, I'll take the sushi almost everytime, too). And while Razor's Edge may have a more oriental flavor, my worry is that at the end of the day, it's still a burger. That said, should I get a Wii U somewhere down the line, I'll probably give this game a go, seeing as how it should be much cheaper by the time my interest in the system starts to manifest. If nothing else, I want to see if Ayane has been given any buffs that would make her better than she was in Sigma 2, while still being a fun character to use.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

....and the points about the game looking inferior to the PS3/Xbox 360 versions visually and not being a great fit with the Gamepad just don't leave a positive impression at all, even if it is a "launch title." Still, it's one review.

Madmangamer364
Meh, the controller thing sounds like nothing more than preference, people have been playing this game for awhile now and have not made that claim. People like that is the only reason the Pro Controller even exist, they are accustom to one thing and claims the comfort zone is better than anything else. Its like the ones on this board who swear an FPS is unplayable without a Wii Remote now. I can easily play a FPS with dual analog and I'm sure you can easily play NG3 with the Gamepad. And graphical glitches on a launch game, particularly a port is nothing new.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
And graphical glitches on a launch game, particularly a port is nothing new. Sepewrath
This. Anyone remember King Kong on 360...*shudder*
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Hyped for this game. So glad I preordered it. Wicked excited that Ayane is in it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

This game is now under consideration. :)

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Madmangamer364

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

....and the points about the game looking inferior to the PS3/Xbox 360 versions visually and not being a great fit with the Gamepad just don't leave a positive impression at all, even if it is a "launch title." Still, it's one review.

Sepewrath

Meh, the controller thing sounds like nothing more than preference, people have been playing this game for awhile now and have not made that claim. People like that is the only reason the Pro Controller even exist, they are accustom to one thing and claims the comfort zone is better than anything else. Its like the ones on this board who swear an FPS is unplayable without a Wii Remote now. I can easily play a FPS with dual analog and I'm sure you can easily play NG3 with the Gamepad. And graphical glitches on a launch game, particularly a port is nothing new.

I'm going to stand by the last part of my comment there. I didn't say it was a deal-breaker afterall... just alarming. :P The whole point about the Gamepad sounds totally subjective and preferential, I agree, but if the case that it isn't, it's something of a bummer, especially since it's not really doing anything to take advantage of the Gamepad's functionality either. (P.S.: I would personally find it rather tough to enjoy a FPS without the Wii Remote now, but it's not like I play many shooters anyway. :P)

The graphical thing, on the other hand, sounded like a little more than a glitch or two, especially if the reviewer went as far as to compare it to early Xbox 360 games. Not exactly something I'd want to hear about concerning a port of a game that came out earlier THIS YEAR. However, it's prone to subjectivity as well. If it makes you feel better, I don't mind how the game looks. At the same time, though, I've only seen a handful of screenshots and a trailer or two... :P

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

Thats a Big Diffences 3 to 7.6 thats a big improvement

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

The graphical thing, on the other hand, sounded like a little more than a glitch or two, especially if the reviewer went as far as to compare it to early Xbox 360 games. Not exactly something I'd want to hear about concerning a port of a game that came out earlier THIS YEAR. However, it's prone to subjectivity as well. If it makes you feel better, I don't mind how the game looks. At the same time, though, I've only seen a handful of screenshots and a trailer or two... :P

Madmangamer364

Just one game tho, if the other reviews say similar graphical things about other games Batman Arkham City, Assassin Creed 3 or others then I'd start reaching for panic button. Im tending to think they still learning to develop for WiiU. :P

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sepewrath
lol one glance at that game and you see the big difference between it and early 360 games. It doesn't have good texture work, something that springs up in even later 360/PS3 games. If this was really an issue, it wouldn't take this long for someone to notice it; my guess is simply a combination of the new hardware learning curve and the focus on trying to polish something that was broken to start with.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#17 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I was doubtful but now it seems like an excellent option!
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
I wonder how much did Nintendo pay demmmm
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Not bad, 7.5/10 is certainly a massive improvement over the 3/10 the PS3 and 360 versions gotspike6958

This would mean something had they actually been reviewed by the same person. Destructoid had Jim Sterling review both and both are pretty mediocre experiences. Apparently some of the changes made to this version actually made it a little worse.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath

This would mean something had they actually been reviewed by the same person. Destructoid had Jim Sterling review both and both are pretty mediocre experiences. Apparently some of the changes made to this version actually made it a little worse.

Pffrbt
Not necessarily, a person that has already deemed the game to be broken at its basic core, will likely continue to view it as so. Their opinion is already made even before turning on the power, so being reviewed by the same person has no greater value than it being reviewed by someone else.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy

I was doubtful but now it seems like an excellent option!enrique_marrodz

Really?

Scores of 76, 55, and 50 sounds great to you?

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]And graphical glitches on a launch game, particularly a port is nothing new. spike6958

That game on the GCN was awesome!!
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I haven't played any of the games but NG3 has caught my attention since its release on the other consoles. How did an installment of a well respected franchise turn out to be so disappointing? Sure the man in charge was missing in action but how can Team Ninja stray so far from the norms of Ninja Gaiden? Logically, the worst they could've done was make the next game consisting of little to no changes to the formula with uninspired overall design. But they went the distance and changed almost every trait of NG for the worst.

I've heard fans demanding blood, punishing difficulty, weapon variety, and a little exploration. From the looks of it, all seem to be present in Razor's Edge. The only problem is the sloppy template the game is based on. I'm talking about story that tries but falls flat, uninspired locations, repeating boss battles, and a shallow linear design. If they wanted this to be an overall great game, it would have to be made from scratch. With that said, Team Ninja managed to fix the more important aspects. It's a shame that everything else is still poorly executed, and that's what reviewers have to include in their reviews. Therefore, I'm not expecting great scores across the board.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Madmangamer364

Just one game tho, if the other reviews say similar graphical things about other games Batman Arkham City, Assassin Creed 3 or others then I'd start reaching for panic button. Im tending to think they still learning to develop for WiiU. :P

superbuuman

I was only speaking for this game. You're right, though, in saying that if this the case for other Wii U multiplats, it's a problem, but there's no need to even think about that just yet. The thing that continues to bug me would be if the Wii U is so capable AND easy to port games to, why would something like this even be a potential problem to begin with. That's just one guy's thinking, though...

lol one glance at that game and you see the big difference between it and early 360 games. It doesn't have good texture work, something that springs up in even later 360/PS3 games. If this was really an issue, it wouldn't take this long for someone to notice it; my guess is simply a combination of the new hardware learning curve and the focus on trying to polish something that was broken to start with.

Sepewrath

Seeing as how I've seen so little of this game and remembers even less of what early 360 games look like, I'm not going to even pretend that I'm qualified to pick the reviewer's brain apart and discover exactly what it was he was referring to that encouraged him to make such a comparison. I'm just saying that's not something Wii U fans should want to hear. Maybe as more reviews are released, we'll be able to get a better idea of what this is all about.

That being said, if it turns out that this reviewer's feelings about Razor's Edge's visuals are shared by others, I think this becomes a greater cause for concern. I see it a lot, but I'm not buying this whole "hardware learning curve" excuse when it concerns the visual quality of Wii U games especially with ports. I understand the angle, but if people would have compared a 360 game to an early PS2 title in the visuals department seven years ago, heads would have rolled. I just don't think the right message is being sent by developers when they're already making people wonder if Wii U ports will be equal to its Xbox 360/PS3 counterparts, when it's supposed to be able to handle the games rather easily.

To be honest, though, this whole discussion makes me realize why I recently decided to give this sort of activity a lengthy break... :|

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
lol people DID compare some early 360 games to XBOX games, most notably...ports. There were some downright ugly first gen 360 games, that's just how consoles work. We are on the magical internet you can look up early 360 games and then compare them to NG3.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"]And graphical glitches on a launch game, particularly a port is nothing new. Rod90

That game on the GCN was awesome!!

Ha, I remember having KK on GC and loved it. I managed to pick up the 360 version a few months ago. The only thing impressive in that version was the first encounter with the T-Rex. The improved graphics in that scene brought some tension.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

I'm actually holding back for a trillogy version.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Madmangamer364

lol people DID compare some early 360 games to XBOX games, most notably...ports. There were some downright ugly first gen 360 games, that's just how consoles work. We are on the magical internet you can look up early 360 games and then compare them to NG3.Sepewrath

Do read what I said again, as I mentioned early PS2 games, not Xbox games that were typically later in the system's lifetime. That in itself was inexcusable enough, but my point was even stronger than that.

In any case, I'm not that... passionate at the moment to do the comparisons, although I appreciate the suggestion. Again, it was all a remark from a sole reviewer about a game I'm not getting anytime soon, so it's not something I'm going to stress over. Still not going to buy the whole 'early console development' argument and give developers a pass if what the reviewer's saying is indeed true, though.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]lol people DID compare some early 360 games to XBOX games, most notably...ports. There were some downright ugly first gen 360 games, that's just how consoles work. We are on the magical internet you can look up early 360 games and then compare them to NG3.Madmangamer364

Do read what I said again, as I mentioned early PS2 games, not Xbox games that were typically later in the system's lifetime. That in itself was inexcusable enough, but my point was even stronger than that.

In any case, I'm not that... passionate at the moment to do the comparisons, although I appreciate the suggestion. Again, it was all a remark from a sole reviewer about a game I'm not getting anytime soon, so it's not something I'm going to stress over. Still not going to buy the whole 'early console development' argument and give developers a pass if what the reviewer's saying is indeed true, though.

In all honesty as much as I like Ninty... this is kind of ridiculous tbf.

If you want to make a console ahead of everyone else, it should have alittle bit more noticeable tech than the others from the get go. It only makes sense ESPECIALLY if you are releasing first so you are a bit more futureproof. No excuses.

I don't care about teh graphics, I got a PC for that, and will still get it because I like the features and uniqueness, but seriously... we probably all have thought about what I said above at one point or another.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i get it for 360 and i finish it but its not reason buy wii u
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

Sepewrath

Not necessarily, a person that has already deemed the game to be broken at its basic core, will likely continue to view it as so. Their opinion is already made even before turning on the power, so being reviewed by the same person has no greater value than it being reviewed by someone else.

The point is that it's stupid to act like this version is a big improvement based on two reviews that aren't even by the same person.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

This is like taking a turd, adding sugar and milk and eggs, etc., and making a cake out of it, and expecting the turd cake to taste delicious.

Megaflush24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Megaflush24
Member since 2003 • 173 Posts

I consider it a triumph considering the poor scores on the other consoles. J to the aysonguy is always negative nancy on just about every topic on these boards. But hey, I guess it would be boring without it.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jaysonguy

I consider it a triumph considering the poor scores on the other consoles. J to the aysonguy is always negative nancy on just about every topic on these boards. But hey, I guess it would be boring without it.

Megaflush24

How is a 50 triumphant?

perfectdark69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 perfectdark69
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

[QUOTE="Megaflush24"]

Jaysonguy

How is a 50 triumphant?

I think he means the 7.6/10 is triumphant
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

A turd cake still tastes like turds.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Megaflush24"]

perfectdark69

How is a 50 triumphant?

I think he means the 7.6/10 is triumphant

That's terrific but that's still leaves a 50 and 55 laying around

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sepewrath

The point is that it's stupid to act like this version is a big improvement based on two reviews that aren't even by the same person.

Pffrbt
And mine was, it being reviewed by the same person, wouldn't make the verdict any more or less valid.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

So far, IGN has given the highest score to all 3 Wii U games that have ratings.

The highest score from each game on Wii U are all from IGN.

New Super Mario Bros U (91), Nintendo Land (87), and Ninja Gaiden 3 (76)