IGN: Kirby's Adventure 9.5!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766120p1.html

great game indeed.
ohnoez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ohnoez
Member since 2007 • 82 Posts
Nice thats a stellar review! :)
Drenrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Drenrim
Member since 2006 • 335 Posts
today is confusing at ign. kirby - 9.5 and sonic - 6.9 i am really confused
DS_Lightning21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DS_Lightning21
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts
I downloaded Kirby's Adventure because of IGN's high review (just like I did with Gunstar Heroes).  Fun NES game indeed.  And also I don't own a Kirby game so it was worth it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
It's a great game but IGN forgets that it's 2007 when they review these games
They're to blame for most people having buyers remorse when it comes to the Virtual Console
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
today is confusing at ign. kirby - 9.5 and sonic - 6.9 i am really confusedDrenrim
Not really, kirby is amazing for a snes game while sonic isn't as great for the wii. I haven't played anyone of them but I guess that's the way the IGN folkes are thinking.
smileyryder34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 smileyryder34
Member since 2003 • 468 Posts
I haven't played sonic yet, so I don't know about that review. Kirby, though I have played and I LOVE that game. It's cute, it's fun, it's got good music. It looks amazing for an NES game. Compared to games from today it's not worth a 9.5, but comparing it to other NES games, it's easily worth that.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
I haven't played sonic yet, so I don't know about that review. Kirby, though I have played and I LOVE that game. It's cute, it's fun, it's got good music. It looks amazing for an NES game. Compared to games from today it's not worth a 9.5, but comparing it to other NES games, it's easily worth that. smileyryder34

Well that's the point, you're paying money now, not in the past.
It should be judged on how it compares to games these days, it still hold up but it's not a 9.5
katamari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 katamari
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts
Kirby's gameplay is what does it!! The graphics by todays standards won't appeal to some but as I have said all along, "Gameplay is more important!!"
smileyryder34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 smileyryder34
Member since 2003 • 468 Posts
[QUOTE="smileyryder34"]I haven't played sonic yet, so I don't know about that review. Kirby, though I have played and I LOVE that game. It's cute, it's fun, it's got good music. It looks amazing for an NES game. Compared to games from today it's not worth a 9.5, but comparing it to other NES games, it's easily worth that. Jaysonguy

It should be judged on how it compares to games these days, it still hold up but it's not a 9.5

This is where I would disagree a bit. I don't think VC games should be strictly compared to today's games. You're not paying for the same gameplay experience. You're paying for that classic experience. I do think how well it's help up should be considered somewhat, but for the most part no. I buy classic games for classic gameplay experiences so I want to know how that is rated. Kirby, I think, has held up well. The graphics themselves are dated, but that' to be expected. they don't look bad. I think you have to compare classic games to the games they competed against, not against what's out today. If you did that ALL VC games would get ratings in the 4's. Many of the gameplay elements in Kirby are found in games today, ie New super Mario Bros. They're similar games, yet Mario is well regarded as well. So I think the rating is somewhat justified.
clownofpoetry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clownofpoetry
Member since 2004 • 501 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="smileyryder34"]I haven't played sonic yet, so I don't know about that review. Kirby, though I have played and I LOVE that game. It's cute, it's fun, it's got good music. It looks amazing for an NES game. Compared to games from today it's not worth a 9.5, but comparing it to other NES games, it's easily worth that. smileyryder34

This is where I would disagree a bit. I don't think VC games should be strictly compared to today's games. You're not paying for the same gameplay experience. You're paying for that classic experience. I do think how well it's help up should be considered somewhat, but for the most part no. I buy classic games for classic gameplay experiences so I want to know how that is rated. Kirby, I think, has held up well. The graphics themselves are dated, but that' to be expected. they don't look bad. I think you have to compare classic games to the games they competed against, not against what's out today. If you did that ALL VC games would get ratings in the 4's. Many of the gameplay elements in Kirby are found in games today, ie New super Mario Bros. They're similar games, yet Mario is well regarded as well. So I think the rating is somewhat justified.

I agree. They should be rated based on the fact that they are VC games, not retail games. You wouldn't want to judge XBLA games based on retail games would you? Of course not. They should have their own rating system. XBLA and VC games both.
greenneil4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 greenneil4
Member since 2005 • 2041 Posts
The vcgames are either over or under rated because they are so old and we have fond memories of them
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
i dont care for reviews....but im still gonna get kirby
azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
It's a great game and I like it a lot, but it should have been an 8.4 score instead.
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts
only reason why I think that score is WAAAAY too high: the game is xtremely short....as in....ull be done with it within 3 sittings...
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I don't think people understand scoring or reviews. Some one else was shocked that F-Zero scored higher than a modern game too. Simply, if you grew up in the mid 80's and early 90's then you'd understand that games are rated by how enjoyable they are. Not by how they are technically impressive. The scoring is simple, IGN find Kirby's Adventure much more enjoyable than Sonic. Graphics, Sound and what ever else they judge games by aren't always based on technical achievement either. It's down to how appealing the game looks and how enjoyable and developed the sound is and how it fits into the game. This is why games like Super Metroid, The Legend Of Zelda, and the original Sonic the Hedgehog are still considered classics today. Because 15+ years down the line, they are still as enjoyable as ever.
jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts
[QUOTE="smileyryder34"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="smileyryder34"]I haven't played sonic yet, so I don't know about that review. Kirby, though I have played and I LOVE that game. It's cute, it's fun, it's got good music. It looks amazing for an NES game. Compared to games from today it's not worth a 9.5, but comparing it to other NES games, it's easily worth that. clownofpoetry

This is where I would disagree a bit. I don't think VC games should be strictly compared to today's games. You're not paying for the same gameplay experience. You're paying for that forbidden I agree. They should be rated based on the fact that they are VC games, not retail games. You wouldn't want to judge XBLA games based on retail games would you? Of course not. They should have their own rating system. XBLA and VC games both.

My thoughts as well.
CKeur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CKeur
Member since 2005 • 1918 Posts
Looks like a fun game to play, I might pick it up!
pinebark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 pinebark
Member since 2003 • 1501 Posts
Graphics and other aesthetic qualities shouldn't be compared to modern games, obviously -- they should be taken for what they are. However, I agree with the previous poster in that you're buying these games now. I want to know if a game is worth $5, $10, or whatever. I don't think Kirby deserves a 9.5, probably closer to an 8 -- but I'm pretty discriminating.

My point is that these games are in competition with modern games for your money, so wouldn't you want to know which is more fun? Games can be compared across eras in fun factor and general quality, and they should be, when you're paying for them.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts
Shirley Want Kirby Superstar hgh, hgh.
KoFoNiO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 KoFoNiO
Member since 2006 • 938 Posts
Kirby's Adventure is awesome, IMO the most underrated game ever. IGN rated it from a 1993 perspective rather than a 2007 perspective and that's why it got a 9.5.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Kirby is to short for a score near that.
spiggy500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 spiggy500
Member since 2005 • 2042 Posts
I bought kirby not to long ago. It is a great game but, a 9.5 is a little high. It's still totally worth getting for $5.
silent_seaxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 silent_seaxx
Member since 2006 • 1322 Posts
[QUOTE="Raiko101"]I don't think people understand scoring or reviews. Some one else was shocked that F-Zero scored higher than a modern game too. Simply, if you grew up in the mid 80's and early 90's then you'd understand that games are rated by how enjoyable they are. Not by how they are technically impressive. The scoring is simple, IGN find Kirby's Adventure much more enjoyable than Sonic. Graphics, Sound and what ever else they judge games by aren't always based on technical achievement either. It's down to how appealing the game looks and how enjoyable and developed the sound is and how it fits into the game. This is why games like Super Metroid, The Legend Of Zelda, and the original Sonic the Hedgehog are still considered classics today. Because 15+ years down the line, they are still as enjoyable as ever.

Amazing post. And yay for Kirby's high rank!
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766120p1.html

great game indeed.
SuzumeCake
I have it for the NES...it's one of the best NES games...period.
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts
today is confusing at ign. kirby - 9.5 and sonic - 6.9 i am really confusedDrenrim
maybe they see a lot more quality from the kirby game than the sonic one I've found sonic to be quite an empty experiance lately... haven't played secret rings tho maybe kirby is really really good?
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
[QUOTE="Drenrim"]today is confusing at ign. kirby - 9.5 and sonic - 6.9 i am really confusedmonty_4256
maybe they see a lot more quality from the kirby game than the sonic one I've found sonic to be quite an empty experiance lately... haven't played secret rings tho maybe kirby is really really good?

If he played Kirby...he would understand ;)
A_Norman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 A_Norman
Member since 2004 • 1842 Posts

It's a great game but IGN forgets that it's 2007 when they review these games
They're to blame for most people having buyers remorse when it comes to the Virtual Console
Jaysonguy

I don't think I would get buyers remorse for a VC game unless it was an N64 game because the others aren't very expensive, especially NES games

jaycromer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jaycromer12
Member since 2007 • 80 Posts
Kirby's Adventure deserves the 9.5.  As a 2d side-scroller its one of the best, simply fun to play all the way through.  As an example of its own genre it stands up against modern games, its easily as good as the New Mario Bros on the DS.  And if 9.5 equals a must buy game, at $5 it definitly is a must buy game...unless you still have your NES cart like me!