If you designed the NX, would you choose current-gen graphics and traditional gamepad or new innovation and cheap price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enzoeleazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1 enzoeleazar
Member since 2013 • 80 Posts

I'm curious if Nintendo fans are looking for features the competition has long had or just the tried and tested ones that has prolonged Nintendo's successful franchises. Just presume the innovations wouldn't flop like Wii U for a fair comparison.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@enzoeleazar: Just once, I'd like a game controller that's a regular controller. As for graphics, they could go either way. Better or slightly worse, the games will be great!

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I think all that would be nice. Nice sounding price around 400, good graphics for third party, and normal controller.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Neither.

I would choose next gen graphics and a traditional, well designed gamepad. Nintendo needs simple, yet powerful hardware to make porting for 3rd parties easier. A low cost, traditional gamepad in the box helps keep the price down. They can still do something innovative with other peripherals. A $350 price tag wouldn't be unreasonable. With its competitors sitting at, or below that point, I think a higher price tag would be risky.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Innovation ..... like 3 prongs, nunchucks, motion controllers and gamepads ? uhhhhh, no thank you, give me a common, ordinary, everyday controller and I´ll be happy, the GC controller may be very comfortable but still the button layout is downright terrible.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

Do like the innovation that happened with the Wii, DS and to a lesser extent 3DS and Wii u but feels like a good time to come back with something little more familiar.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I think (for the NX) something like the Nvidia Shield with (3DS) cards for physical game media, 1TB HDD for digital game downloads, and a classic controller with shoulder scroll wheels would be intriguing. If the home console controller does not have a screen, I would just keep my Wii U plugged in. Perhaps you could use your 2DS/smart device/PC to make Miiverse posts with drawings/artwork in lieu of the Wii U Gamepad. Wii U-level graphics would be good enough. I am very reluctant to try game streaming. I don't want to pay any online subscription fees, or I just wont play online games. I am willing to accept an inferior online capability compared to the competition if it is free. Keep the console around $200 and the games around $40. I will keep an open-mind about the NX though.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Please give us a traditional controller. While the Wiimote and Nunchuk were tolerable, I'm not a fan of the WiiU controller at all. Knowing Nintendo though they'll try to recreate the magic of the Wii all over again... Oh well.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I actually really like what Nintendo has been doing since they changed things up with the Wii and DS. They haven't disappointed me yet so, I would probably just go with whatever Nintendo already have up their sleeve. I would honestly go with the Wii U idea and create a controller with a secondary screen on there. That second screen is one of the most useful things that have been introduced to gaming online multiplayer IMO. Having maps and inventories on the 2nd screen while everything else is on the television or 1st screen (DS). Fucking genius. It's unfortunate that a lot of people don't see it that way. It is especially useful for FPS games and J/W/RPGs.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

They should make the console around the same as the Wii U and piss about with a gimmick for the controller, maybe a controller you control with your junk.

Also they should avoid all third party, only Nintendo games keep the games library small and have long periods with out a release. They should release far more Mario games too, there isn't enough.

Wait, that's not what they should do, that's what they will probably do

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The new innovation of the NX should be a digital trip.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

The problem with "new innovation" is you end up with the Wii U gamepad.

Expensive. Bad screen. Bad touch controls. Bad battery. Lots of games don't use it for anything worthwhile.

Leave innovation to the PC.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 Nintendo4evar
Member since 2016 • 197 Posts

@Cobra_nVidia: PC, innovation? Wut?

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nintendo4evar

The best of both world if it doesn't cost 1 000 000$. Or just a plain-ass console.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thehig1

@nintendo4evar said:

@thehig1: HEY A PESSIMIST ABOUT NINTENDO HOW FUCKING ORIGINAL!!!!

have I hit a nerve?

I'm guessing you have a feeling Nintendo will actually do what I sarcastically pointed out but wont believe it until it happens.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Next gen graphics if possible with traditional controls or stick with wii remote and nunchuk controls.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@thehig1 said:

have I hit a nerve?

Ohhhhh I think ya did.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nintendo4evar

@thehig1: Calm down, it was exaggerated.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nintendo4evar

@YearoftheSnake5: Lol, mr. perfect is here.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thehig1

@nintendo4evar said:

@thehig1: Calm down, it was exaggerated.

fair enough, I act like that about Nintendo because they have done nothing in the last 15 years to suggest they will do anything different.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

I'm expecting a console that meets modern processing power expectations with probably a gimmick or two, full 3rd-party support and traditional controllers.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nintendo4evar

@thehig1: True.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm for innovation, but in the pursuit of the refinement of an already perfectly suitable means of user interface and software utilization, of which contemporary controllers provide, and also of which Nintendo helped evolve brilliantly up until the Wii.

Since the Wii, I have enjoyed Nintendo's games in SPITE of their hardware "innovations", not due to them. With the exception of the dual screens in their handhelds, it is an impediment. All the worse, it feels like Nintendo's hardware decisions are predicated not upon software or creative necessities, but borne out of a desire for corporate distinction.

It's like instead of tweaking a perfectly functional car's shape to become more efficient, they turn it into the shape of a donut just to stand out. Their hardware priorities are being approached backwards.

Avatar image for blazingpanzeriv
BlazingpanzerIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlazingpanzerIV
Member since 2016 • 53 Posts

If I was Nintendo, I would focus on a $300 console with a traditional controller, and I would also make sure that I had at the very least 1 AAA first party exclusive Nintendo title a month( A scattered few would be HD remakes, maybe 1 per every four new titles.) I would also wildly focus on downloadable retro game releases,n and third party support, even if I had to pay to make the entire game myself. Also tons of marketing reorganizing and hiring.

But if I was in charge, that is what I'd do for the next console.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nintendo4evar

@enzoeleazar: I think they should do like the Wii, a cheap innovation but at least this time, all the "gimmicky"controller should be optional and that the console should be on par to its competitor and that third party shut up about how it's "Not enough powerful"

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm not a big tech guy, but I think Nintendo needs to go with Polaris 11 hardware. It is low wattage, and it is quite powerful for its wattage. Polaris 11 could end up at 2.5 TFs which is awesome for the wattage. Plus the price is low at around $99.

I think that Nintendo should go this route, and launch NX at a nifty $199, and include BC with the Wii U gamepad. Include support for 4 Wii U gamepads, and sell gamepads at merchants for $79. Nintendo already went through the trouble of making the things and they are useful. There just needs to be more support for them. Plus they serve a dual purpose. They'll be the bottom screen when they do cross platform play with N3DS and their upcoming handheld.

Either way I think they need to embrace cross platform play with their handheld and shared servers and cloud connectivity between the 2. Unlike the twins, Nintendo has a robust handheld market. Its Nintendo's biggest strength and they need to combine it with their consoles in order to take full advantage of what Nintendo does.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@bunchanumbers: I have been wondering for awhile what it would be like to use a 2DS as a controller for a home console...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Collie_Lover: Just think of what we can do with 3 screens!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

- Traditional controller as primary

- Blu-ray discs

- as powerful as PS4

- 500GB HDD

- comparable online infrastructure

- $300 price point

- launch Zelda game without motion controls

- launch New Super Mario 3

I would buy that for the family for Christmas in a heart beat.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I just want a console that's powerful enough with a simple architecture so porting 3rd party games takes minimal effort and reduces the amount they feel must be sold to make a profit so it can actually get good third party support. I also want an off-tv option, either built in or through an optional peripheral.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

In this day and age I'd adopt the design philosophy that Nvidia is using with their laptop-to-core setup. It offers real potential for proper expandability.

Strangely enough nintendo has been attempting this over the years, but the success has not been there.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I would go cheap and traditional.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#34 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Traditional controller

500 GB hard drive

Powerful as PS4/Xbox One

3rd Party support

$399.99 price point

Free online

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

I would use the Wii-remote as a sword, the Wii U pad as a shield, and a VR set as the helmet. Nintendo has given us the tools, so it needs the horse power. Get it? I'm so funny...

I think that Nintendo needs to consolidate their services with a new OS that targets the current systems upon being used or bought. Imagine that it was a combination of a handheld with a docking bay that can be used as a console. If you have the 3DS, the docking bay will take it and upscale the games to be played with a better controller, and if you have the Wii U, its games will be playable on the NX, which doubles as another controller. The NX would be a portable console, obviously, so the Wii line would not be continued.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

There has to be some sort of gimmick, otherwise what's the point. They are going to be competing with 2 PS4s and 3 Xbones. How many consoles do we need that do exactly the same thing?

That said, I don't think they should go too nuts. If the NX is a home/handheld hybrid that is compatible with the pro-pad and wii motes, and the hardware is at least on par with first gen PS4/Xbone, I'd be pretty happy.

An updated sensor bar that more accurately reads the old wii motes would be nice too.