If Nintendo wants to make their online interface better why don't they upgrade?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 kardine
Member since 2008 • 2863 Posts

Reggie mentioned Nintendo is always looking at ways to better their online to the "competition."

This statement puzzles me because I have not seem them upgrade their interface to online much.

The biggest effort I have seen with online play is just specific games being thorough with its online play like MKW.

If Nintendo wants to better their online then making use of the Wii'sinternalFriend Code would be a great start. SO games from now on use that universal FC. I hope they start actually making a real effort.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

They should just drop friend codes.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

He's probably just talking about next generation...although I'm sure he's also talking about things like the video-on-demand service they're working on, "Virtual Console Arcade", DSiWare, and how they just updated the SD card functionality.

Nintendo typically only does one major update a year, so unless they break with that tradition, we're probably stuck with what we've got for another 11 months.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kardine

Lto_thaG

Not going to happen, but obviously that has already been suggested. I am saying that simply make your Wii friend code your universal friend code. If you are friends with someone on your Wii then it should not require you to also be friends with that SAME person in a specific game.

The whole online system lacks standardization. Instead of making a skeleton interface for all devs to fill their games in, each third party has to make their own set up. It lacks consistancy.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Yeah I know that it must be a real nuisance to have to deal with that different codes for every game thing. Imagine if EA who releases a ton of games abided by that, they made EA nation out of necessity.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

They have bigger problems now then just that.

dylanmcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dylanmcc
Member since 2008 • 2512 Posts

They need to drop friend codes. I don't think they could create something as good as Live, I mean Live is amazing.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kardine

Another thing is to make a universal leaderboard that can be applied to all games if devs use the feature. It would be a channel for all games and would be awsome.

fugwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fugwit
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

Lto_thaG
but how would we play with our friends?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Why does Nintendo have to stop having an online service for adults to get better?

They're the only one that doesn't treat it's service like a junior high with one name for everything.

They can improve their service AND keep it a system for adults

Keenzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Keenzach
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts

Why does Nintendo have to stop having an online service for adults to get better?

They're the only one that doesn't treat it's service like a junior high with one name for everything.

Jaysonguy
I really dont think the system is to adult like. I mean I guess so because of the fact that u dont have to deal with getting a bunch of friend requests and having alot of people bother you but honestly if they just used the one wii friend code I dont think it would change that.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

fugwit
but how would we play with our friends?

The way you play with them on the 360 or ps3. Gamertags.Much easier.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

If it ever happens,it will be next-generation; Nintendo already shot themselves in the foot with the Wii.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

1. one console FC

2. system update for Wii Speak to be useable in all old online games

3. Wii speak must be used in all games online (by devs i mean)

4. every nintendo publshed game that has a seemingly good multiplayer mode, make an online mode that works for it

5. i can't think of anything else, oh wait

LOBBIES! nintendo i like quick matches, but i also like lobbies, with more rules more varying match types and most of all, i want the option to kick hackers and cheaters

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

That makes absolutely no sense, but its not surprising coming from you. If we were all in here saying we love friend codes it makes us feel safe, you would be saying that their stupid and Nintendo should stop treating people like children and let them be responsible for their own online safety. It has nothing to do with adults and children its about simple usability. There's no need to have to get 5 different codes to play 5 different games with the same person.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Sepewrath

That makes absolutely no sense, but its not surprising coming from you. If we were all in here saying we love friend codes it makes us feel safe, you would be saying that their stupid and Nintendo should stop treating people like children and let them be responsible for their own online safety. It has nothing to do with adults and children its about simple usability. There's no need to have to get 5 different codes to play 5 different games with the same person.

No, that's the junior high way of doing things

If you're looking for someone just call the school

I like the idea that each game has it's own code just like adults have a different number for where they are.

Is there just one number to reach Jason? (well actually there is, 1-800-AWESOME)

Children have to deal with that, they go to high school and they're all right there. Just call the school and we'll find little Timmy. So no I don't want to revisit that.

I like the idea that I just don't have random people asking me if I want to play. Do I know who you are? Oh yeah come on in mystery person

It's the same thing that people ask if Wii Speak will be made friend code optional. So that they can just find random people to talk to. The same thing as dialing a number you don't know and hoping someone will be happy to hear from you on the other end.

Mike885

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mike885
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

I honestly wouldn't mind friend codes that much if they made it like xbox live when you press the home button, to where it would tell you when they're online and you could send instant messages and stuff.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Its called a cellphone Jayson, one number that allows you to reach someone anywhere, whether they are at home, at work, at the gym, in the supermarket whatever it may be. What Nintendo is doing is basically making you have to call each place to find that person, its stupid and wasteful. And you know I can play SFIV set up a private match and play only those who i want to play, but you know what I if play someone in SFIV, I can play them in MGS4 or SCIV or COD:WAW without having to get a different name each time. So talking about random people that you don't have to deal with is a weak argument, no one can force themselves on your friendlist, if you add them for one game, then its your problem to deal with them afterwards. Be an adult like you said and pick your friendlist better and you wont have a problem.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kardine

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Sepewrath

This is always how he is. Its going against the crowd for the sake of it, it has nothing to do with the actual discussion.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kardine
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

1. one console FC

2. system update for Wii Speak to be useable in all old online games

3. Wii speak must be used in all games online (by devs i mean)

4. every nintendo publshed game that has a seemingly good multiplayer mode, make an online mode that works for it

5. i can't think of anything else, oh wait

LOBBIES! nintendo i like quick matches, but i also like lobbies, with more rules more varying match types and most of all, i want the option to kick hackers and cheaters

Exactly, standards. The online system they have now is a mess. BTW it has nothing to do with adults or kids, it has to do with convenience and driving a community.
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

No, that's the junior high way of doing things

If you're looking for someone just call the school

I like the idea that each game has it's own code just like adults have a different number for where they are.

Is there just one number to reach Jason? (well actually there is, 1-800-AWESOME)

Children have to deal with that, they go to high school and they're all right there. Just call the school and we'll find little Timmy. So no I don't want to revisit that.

I like the idea that I just don't have random people asking me if I want to play. Do I know who you are? Oh yeah come on in mystery person

It's the same thing that people ask if Wii Speak will be made friend code optional. So that they can just find random people to talk to. The same thing as dialing a number you don't know and hoping someone will be happy to hear from you on the other end.

Really, well I recently go Left 4 Dead on PC.

Want to know how easy it was to get a friend roster for it? Piece of cake.

I just add the people I play with or against as a friend and then that is that.

Friend codes are just too tedious.

I play with strangers all the time online, what is the problem with that?

triheadshots69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 triheadshots69
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts
i dont mind friendcodes but i would like the universal fc and i dont like how both people have to add each other, if only one person added the other and a message popped up asking if they accept their friend request i would be fine with that
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kardine

Just to let people know a universal FC that is applied to all games and software is the same thing as a gamertag or a screename. They simply mask the long list of numbers with a name that only you can have.

07pops07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 07pops07
Member since 2008 • 552 Posts

Just to let people know a universal FC that is applied to all games and software is the same thing as a gamertag or a screename. They simply mask the long list of numbers with a name that only you can have.

kardine

it sounds like the same thing but is just so complicated its the main reason nitendos multi player commutity is lacking

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kardine

[QUOTE="kardine"]

07pops07

it sounds like the same thing but is just so complicated its the main reason nitendos multi player commutity is lacking

No no no. I know the current saystem we have with FCs is terrible. The reason why they are terrible is that each game has its own FC so there is no way for a community to grow. I was suggesting that the Wii's internal universal FC should be used. If it was then it would be like the standard screen name or gamertag.

Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts

Lto_thaG

Precisely, friend codes are just too restricting. I doubt they will update though.

ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

I would think they would charge us with better online with no FCs, sorta like Silver and Gold on Live....

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

When Nintendo tends to speak online these days, online gaming is not what the company means totally. I think that's where a lot of people could get confused with Nintendo's direction in the area. For Nintendo, online activity is also taking part of its services, downloading games and such, and merely having access to the online system. As what Nintendo can do to improve those services, it's tough to say, but I'm sure that it's working on new applications and ways to get more people involved as we speak. Only time will tell, though.

kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kardine

I would think they would charge us with better online with no FCs, sorta like Silver and Gold on Live....

ChildOfGaming7
And I would pay for that.
kardine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kardine

Its scary to think of the Wii with all its advanatges married to an online interface as good as XBL or most PC services.