If all the big Wii games are coming this year, does that mean Wii2 next year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

If Zelda comes out this fall (as looks likely), on top of today's other announced games, does that pretty much confirm a Q4 2011 launch for Wii's successor?

I think it looks probable now!

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts
maybe Nintendo is clearing the way for next year where they will release new ip's. Just because Nintendo are releasing most of their heavy hitters this year doesn't mean they are preparing to launch a new console. You must have little faith in them to think they have ran out of ideas
Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

No, I think that they will be introducing some new IP's and other games that aren't in their top three such as Project Sora, Retro's new project, Pikmin 3, possibly Star Fox Wii, etc.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 misiufraggle

I'm not knocking the Wii, its just that I think the signs are pointing to 2010 being it's big year, before a replacement hits in 2011.

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

I'm not knocking the Wii, its just that I think the signs are pointing to 2010 being it's big year, before a replacement hits in 2011.

misiufraggle
tell me, why would Nintendo want to replace the Wii so soon when it's in better shape than the PS3 and 360. There's no point
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Totaly confirmed!
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts
With their heavy hitters gone, one has to wonder what the launch titles for a new system would be.
canadianloonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 canadianloonie
Member since 2004 • 384 Posts

With their heavy hitters gone, one has to wonder what the launch titles for a new system would be.Arc2012

This is why I doubt Wii 2 is coming out anytime soon. Nintendo won't launch a system without Mario or Zelda.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Here's a question for you:

If they released Wii2 next year, what will they launch it with?

A Mario game? No, they just released that...Zelda? No, released that too...

If they even thought about releasing a new console in 2011 they would screw themselves over. It takes years to make a new console Zelda or Mario, so they would have no heavy-hitters to sell systems at launch.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

[QUOTE="Arc2012"]With their heavy hitters gone, one has to wonder what the launch titles for a new system would be.canadianloonie

This is why I doubt Wii 2 is coming out anytime soon. Nintendo won't launch a system without Mario or Zelda.

Again. Remember the Gamecube? and Luigi's Mansion? I don't know if Nintendo is willing to risk it.
misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 misiufraggle

Why do people think a Wii2 would automatically mean the end of the Wii? Did the PS2 die the day the PS3 launched? No!

There are so many Wii consoles out there that I am sure games will be released for a good while even after a new console is launched.

That being said, with Natal and Arc on the horizon, Nintendo might think late 2011 will be a good time to launch something fresh to reclaim the initiative?

Just my opinion.

sensfan02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sensfan02
Member since 2009 • 401 Posts

With their heavy hitters gone, one has to wonder what the launch titles for a new system would be.Arc2012

It wil be "New Super Mario World." You heard it here first.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Why do people think a Wii2 would automatically mean the end of the Wii?

misiufraggle

It won't be the end of the Wii, it will be the end of the Wii2.

If you release a console with no heavy hitters you fail from the start. Look at what happened to the Gamecube...

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
is possible yes and it would be fine by me.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="misiufraggle"]

Crystal-Rush

tell me, why would Nintendo want to replace the Wii so soon when it's in better shape than the PS3 and 360. There's no point

Coz third parties don't want to develop for it.

Seriously. And the motion control threat from the other consoles. MS is gonna market the **** out of Natal, you'd be silly to think they won't get some casual fitness games to sell it, heck they're even having RARE develop games strictly for Natal.

Fact is, what large third party titles are coming to Wii this fall? Maybe DQ10? MH3 comes in april.

I fear 2011 will be for Wii third party games what 2005/2006 was for third party Cube games

But i will wait and see, although nintendo alwaysreplaces consoles while on top ahead of their time, they just do

i'd say since Nintendo has said they like the PS3/PS2 approach we'll see Wii 2 in fall 2011 with some nice titles while riding Wii 1 software, Wii 2 for $250 and Wii 1 for $150 in fall 2011 and the years after

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
while nintendo can do (unlike MS and SONY) without any 3rd party support WHATSOEVER, is not something ideal for them, and the wand and natal aproach is evening the consoles too much for their liking.More power and a step ahead of Natal is what they are thinking,without a doubt.
HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I don;t have enough money to pay for everything especially not a new console as well as 3 games(other M, SMG2, and Zelda wii)
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I don;t have enough money to pay for everything especially not a new console as well as 3 games(other M, SMG2, and Zelda wii)HawkEye1997

What? Even on Minimum wage you should have enough. thats only $150 for the games.

Oh, are you too young to work? I hadn't considered that. Well i hope you get them all, they are across a 6 month period

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It would be pretty amazing if they could launch the next Nintendo console with a new Super Smash Bros. That wouldgive it mad sales! Oh and pack it in with a new Wii Sports as well

mywii1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 mywii1999
Member since 2007 • 165 Posts

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

I would not be hoping to much..

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

I have thought this for some time. Either 2011 will be a very dry year for Wii owners due to lack of 3rd party support and Nintendo releasing its big three this year, or 2011 is set aside for the release of Nintendo's new console.

It could release with a Wii Sports type game, a fitness game, and big name we haven't heard about. As much money as Nintendo's supposedly been putting into develpment, their could be Zelda, or Mario, or Metroid, or Smash Bros, or ... currently under development for the next console. We don't know.

I just don't see Wii sales continuing throughout 2011, and hardcore gamers will jump ship if no games come down the pipe. I don't think Nintendo wants to try and get back gamers in 2012 who just bought some other system at the end of 2011.

So, yes 2011 seems ripe for a new console.

maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

possible ...& I hope so. Just playing games like Mass Effect & Mass Effect 2 - I just thought abt the awesomeness that will be using an improved Wii mote point & shoot ..infact any 1st/3rd person shooter game for that matter.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

I hope so, if not its just gonna be one of "those" years for the wii againwhere theres realy no big 1st party titles and as a result just an overall dry year :(

drakemilio2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drakemilio2
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts

They wouldn't release a new platform without something like a mario or zelda with it. And since Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are about to be released on Wii. Well...

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
very possible.
maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

They wouldn't release a new platform without something like a mario or zelda with it. And since Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are about to be released on Wii. Well...

drakemilio2

They did release Wii with a ported GC game ;) what makes you think they won't do it again?

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
I think it's the opposite, actually, and it's pretty much confirming that a new console won't be coming until 2012 or beyond. If Nintendo releases ALL of their heavy hitters this year, they won't release them again next year with a new console... And I think Nintendo is smart enough to realize that if they don't release a new Mario or Zelda or Metroid (etc.) game with their new console, they're in trouble. @maxgil2: Yes, they DID release Wii with a ported GC game, but that was around the same time that the GC game came out. I REALLY don't think they would port over a year/2 year old game to their new console. That's just bad.
misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 misiufraggle

Could they not launch it with Kirby, or Pikmin, or Donkey Kong or something along those lines, or would that not be "big enough"?

Or how about a new Paper Mario or Mario Kart game?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#30 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

excuse me if am wrong but didnt gc see 3 zelda titles,

besides the remake,

just because there big titles are coming doesnt mean nothings coming in 11,

this gens gonna last 5 extra years and iwata has already said wii 2 is no where near ,

theres other big ips they have not given us

fzero

stunt race fx

star fox

kirby

wave race

pikmin-aside from remake

donkeykong

so ya wiis far from over

Avatar image for redlightstudios
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 redlightstudios
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

I don't think it's coming anytime soon imo

but in reality... they could release it with something simple like NSMBW and it would start off on the right foot just because of that

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
No. It probably means the next system isn't comming out any time soon since Nintendo will want to release their big titles with the launch of the next system and Nintendo has a product cycle for games of at least three years.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#33 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

No... Why would it?

If there was a new console comming out next year, we would have heard about it by now. A year's notice isn't enough time to get development kits out and build hype.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#34 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Why do people think a Wii2 would automatically mean the end of the Wii? Did the PS2 die the day the PS3 launched? No!

There are so many Wii consoles out there that I am sure games will be released for a good while even after a new console is launched.

That being said, with Natal and Arc on the horizon, Nintendo might think late 2011 will be a good time to launch something fresh to reclaim the initiative?

Just my opinion.

misiufraggle

Part of the reason is because Nintendo has never seriously supported 2 consoles at once.

And the other part is that Sony proved supporting 2 consoles at once isn't a good idea. There was so much support for the PS2 that people didn't go out and buy the PS3. Nintendo wouldn't want that to happen to them.

The wii will die once nintendo's next system comes out. So continues the circle of life

kayne2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 kayne2000
Member since 2004 • 5583 Posts
ya i dont really see xbox 3 or ps4 or wii 2 coming out in the next 3 years. honestly ps3 has just barely grabbed a foothold and the new controller xbox has really found its place finnally and the new natal thing wii well quite honestly and im not why but its pwning everything. honestly the current consoles are fine i dont need another one or three yet. cause lets be real ps4 would be 600 bucks xbox probably 500 and wii 2 would be 300 and be as great as the xbox is now lol
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Coz third parties don't want to develop for it.

Seriously. And the motion control threat from the other consoles. MS is gonna market the **** out of Natal, you'd be silly to think they won't get some casual fitness games to sell it, heck they're even having RARE develop games strictly for Natal.

Fact is, what large third party titles are coming to Wii this fall? Maybe DQ10? MH3 comes in april.

I fear 2011 will be for Wii third party games what 2005/2006 was for third party Cube games

But i will wait and see, although nintendo alwaysreplaces consoles while on top ahead of their time, they just do

i'd say since Nintendo has said they like the PS3/PS2 approach we'll see Wii 2 in fall 2011 with some nice titles while riding Wii 1 software, Wii 2 for $250 and Wii 1 for $150 in fall 2011 and the years after

darth-pyschosis

That is a ridiculous statement because the GameCube lost his momentum half way through 2004 but the Wii is gaining an insane amount of momentum in 2010. The third parties that are stinking with the Wii just figured out how to use the Wii. If the so called Wii 2 was coming out at all wouldn't there have been a new Nintendo handheld game console that came out a year ago to hold the trend?

BlackhawkBix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 BlackhawkBix
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

I highly doubt it. Not right after a Zelda and Mario game. Plus the Wii is still selling strong.