Ideas for a Star Fox Wii

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nintendoguy325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Nintendoguy325
Member since 2008 • 463 Posts
Obviously, not everyone wants the franchise to stray too far from the Arwing. But some others want more than what Assault had to offer. What is really needed is a mix of Star Fox Adventure and Assault. Dog fights in space and beating the heck out of people on foot, hand-to-hand. What are your ideas for a new Star Fox game?
Innocent_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Innocent_J
Member since 2006 • 1821 Posts
hmm...ive never really played starfox :(
Brawl_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Brawl_Guy
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Obviously, not everyone wants the franchise to stray too far from the Arwing. But some others want more than what Assault had to offer. What is really needed is a mix of Star Fox Adventure and Assault. Dog fights in space and beating the heck out of people on foot, hand-to-hand. What are your ideas for a new Star Fox game?Nintendoguy325
Mix of Adventure and Assault...sweet... but, I wish there was co-op mode (with 2nd story) because, Sometimes, it just gets really boring playing the same things over and over again.
imnotwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 imnotwhite
Member since 2005 • 6437 Posts

Like ...squad-based combat?

jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
It needs to have online multiplayer. And, like you said, it needs to be somewhere between Assault and Starfox on the N64. Ground based and air based missions, but different from Assault....that wasnt a great game.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
it could be like Warhawk -- Flight, Foot, Vehicle.
spiggy500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 spiggy500
Member since 2005 • 2042 Posts
I want it like starfox 64 but, alot longer and the ability to save.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

Star Fox has lost its fanbase and loyalty for the most part. The first step would be getting back to a star Fox game without:

A.) Screwing up the formula by tacking on weak TPS elements and these generic circular arenas they always put you in

B.) Not rehashing the old Star Fox 64 because on rails Star Fox simply WONT work anymore. There can be brief moments of on rails levels but for the most part it has to be thrown out.

So there is this issue of balance between rehash and messing with the core of Star Fox. Obviously this is a game that requires more skill than the brain dead devs they have been giving it to. Big franchises require big budgets theres no way around that. If they wanna do a good Star Fox game its gonna require much better level design which includes varied environments that are not slaves to on rails or circular arenas. Physics with shooting collision need to be reworked. Multiplayer is a huge componenet and they cant just do a half assed attempt to online like Mario Kart Wii and SSBB.

Heres my 2 cents take it for what you want but I think it could bring Star Fox back from the brink.

spiggy500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spiggy500

Star Fox has lost its fanbase and loyalty for the most part. The first step would be getting back to a star Fox game without:

A.) Screwing up the formula by tacking on weak TPS elements and these generic circular arenas they always put you in

B.) Not rehashing the old Star Fox 64 because on rails Star Fox simply WONT work anymore. There can be brief moments of on rails levels but for the most part it has to be thrown out.

So there is this issue of balance between rehash and messing with the core of Star Fox. Obviously this is a game that requires more skill than the brain dead devs they have been giving it to. Big franchises require big budgets theres no way around that. If they wanna do a good Star Fox game its gonna require much better level design which includes varied environments that are not slaves to on rails or circular arenas. Physics with shooting collision need to be reworked. Multiplayer is a huge componenet and they cant just do a half assed attempt to online like Mario Kart Wii and SSBB.

Heres my 2 cents take it for what you want but I think it could bring Star Fox back from the brink.

Cyber-

I totally disagree with B. Why won't it work?

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Cyber-"]

spiggy500

Simply put, Star Fox Assaut pretty much tried doing that with alot of their levels. Its not good for a whole game.

Star Fox Assault was still alright. it had great voice acting and very accurate character portrayals and a good "bad guy" that was not Andross. The game felt shallow though.

spiggy500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 spiggy500
[QUOTE="spiggy500"][QUOTE="Cyber-"]

Cyber-

Simply put, Star Fox Assaut pretty much tried doing that with alot of their levels. Its not good for a whole game.

Star Fox Assault was still alright. it had great voice acting and very accurate character portrayals and a good "bad guy" that was not Andross. The game felt shallow though.

Ok, I agree with that. Assult wasn't really that great.

rexCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 rexCo
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
To bring Star Fox back, Nintendo needs to develop it THEMSELVES and just make the game epic. Write a fantastic story, compose fantastic music (bring back some of the classic tracks, revamped), and just make the gameplay and atmosphere stellar. I think on-foot missions are optional, but it would be nice to see them done right.

It's nothing they couldn't do, they just need to do it themselves and make sure they get it right.
Avatar image for Game-over-death
Game-over-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Game-over-death
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts
ya, although making a brand new story line can be a bit tough, and honestly how many times can you kill andros and be stoked about it
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cyber-

ya, although making a brand new story line can be a bit tough, and honestly how many times can you kill andros and be stoked about itGame-over-death

Assault did not have Andross if Im not mistake. If there was one good thing about Assault it was its story.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
I think they should do a MOHH2 approach. Have the main story non rails and on rails. And actually put effort into both versions. And adding online to it would be nice as well make it SSBB style with friends and with anyone but they better work on the online alot we dont need a another mishap like a game we recently got
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

Star Fox 64 + Star Fox Assault

Mostly on-rails Arwing missions, but with a few other elements like the ones in Assault. I also want the awesome multiplayer from Assault, and more than 10 storry missions.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cyber-

Mostly on-rails Arwing missions, but with a few other elements like the ones in Assault. I also want the awesome multiplayer from Assault, and more than 10 storry missions.

LOLhahaDEAD

they tried that with Assault. If all you want is the same thing thats exactly what your gonna get.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af2726ecd664
deactivated-5af2726ecd664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5af2726ecd664
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Online or split screen co-op. Oh and Rareware has to make it, (or maybe Retro Studios). VOICE CHAT

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lolag

Online or split screen co-op. Oh and Rareware has to make it, (or maybe Retro Studios). VOICE CHAT

sean2339
rare can't make it M$ owns them, voice chat isnt possible just yet
alwaysdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alwaysdeath
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts

In terms of controls:

Arwing: Hold the Wiimote sideways, like the steering wheel, but you pull back to go up and tilt it down to go down, and tilt it left/right to move left/right. Kind of like that minigame in WarioWare.

Landmaster: Point Wiimote at the screen, and tilt it left and right to roll the tank treads. Aim with the Wiimote.

Land: Basic Nunchuck/Wiimote combo of analog stick movement and Wiimote point aiming.

That's what I'd like to see.

Avatar image for lovetheblindone
lovetheblindone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lovetheblindone
Member since 2005 • 1733 Posts

Release it on the 360 or PS3, the last two Star Fox games Nintendo made sucked they should let a more competent developer make them now.

Also the Wii is graphically too weak to do this game justice.

alwaysdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alwaysdeath
Member since 2006 • 436 Posts

Release it on the 360 or PS3, the last two Star Fox games Nintendo made sucked they should let a more competent developer make them now.

Also the Wii is graphically too weak to do this game justice.

lovetheblindone

*hands over a flame shield*

You're going to need this.

pinksolidsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pinksolidsnake
Member since 2008 • 274 Posts
You guys are saying it needs a mix of Air and Ground, it needs sea too. Because honestly I think the Blue Marine level on Star Fox 64 was the best, so ya, don't forget the sea. O, ccheck out my blog it has my opinion on what Star Fox Wii should have.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cyber-
Why would they make the control horizontal. I dont even see how that could even work. How woyld you aim the crosshair. I would think using the nunchuk/Wiimote and have the Ir aim the way would be the best thing.
tancred8120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tancred8120
Member since 2007 • 7937 Posts
Online multi-player
-Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 -Sphere-
Member since 2008 • 1063 Posts
Online coop would be killer.
gangstaa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 gangstaa9
Member since 2007 • 258 Posts
The only good star fox game was starfox64 so it should be like that also it could take advantage of motion sensoring aiming. Finally they should really get rid of the talking dinosaurs.
Avatar image for 1337Bloodbender
1337Bloodbender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 1337Bloodbender
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts
I thought about the game having different types of arwings with different stats.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I think starfox needs at least one game thats a step back to the fundementals. It just really needs to be a great star fighter game. Look at the CGI in brawl where fox is flying around dodging shots. It needs action like that.

Make the wiimote a flight stick. B shoots, A drops bombs, up and down boost and break, and rolls are just barrel rolls.

Wet_Sand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wet_Sand
Member since 2007 • 1504 Posts
I want an online multiplayer Star Fox, with at least 20 people being able to play each other at once.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
it could be like Warhawk -- Flight, Foot, Vehicle.Haziqonfire
that would be aawesome
bbtcbbtc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bbtcbbtc
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts
i know its kind of unlikely but i think it would be cool if he had some of his SSB moves like fire fox and his side B
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
It must definitively have online multiplayer.
nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 nakasa5
Member since 2005 • 1429 Posts
I dont think Fox should EVER get out of the plane. When he does, the game just goes down hill. I would also like to see more open and free roam environments with tons of life and color. Don't make the game too linear.
starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

Did anyone remember that Fox uses a joystick in his Arwing? Is it just me or does a Wii remote joystick for your ship and the nunchuk for throttle etc. just seem like a completely obvious and interesting control aspect? Think about it. The Wii has fantastic motion control and real-time control over your ship would be completely obtainable! I'm sure somebody has mentioned this before, but think about it, how cool would it be to control your ship on-screen with a combination of the Wii remote? :D

That's all I got for control aspects, as far as everything else is considered, leave it alone. The first 2 Starfox games were the best for a reason. They were short, granted, but they were also fast-paced "intelligent" shooters. Not only that, if you ever played them on hard you know how grueling some of those levels can be...

Starfox is a flying game. The interesting mechanics they added to assault seemed somewhat tacked on. That being said, if NINTENDO and not Namco had done these segments I can imagine they would have turned out better. Starfox is a great series and I want to see more of it. Just don't screw it up anymore, Nintendo.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 goblaa

Did anyone remember that Fox uses a joystick in his Arwing? Is it just me or does a Wii remote joystick for your ship and the nunchuk for throttle etc. just seem like a completely obvious and interesting control aspect? Think about it. The Wii has fantastic motion control and real-time control over your ship would be completely obtainable! I'm sure somebody has mentioned this before, but think about it, how cool would it be to control your ship on-screen with a combination of the Wii remote? :D

That's all I got for control aspects, as far as everything else is considered, leave it alone. The first 2 Starfox games were the best for a reason. They were short, granted, but they were also fast-paced "intelligent" shooters. Not only that, if you ever played them on hard you know how grueling some of those levels can be...

Starfox is a flying game. The interesting mechanics they added to assault seemed somewhat tacked on. That being said, if NINTENDO and not Namco had done these segments I can imagine they would have turned out better. Starfox is a great series and I want to see more of it. Just don't screw it up anymore, Nintendo.

starfox15

To this day I still don't understand why there are no flight games that use the wiimote as a flight stick. It's practically the whole point of the wiimote. You don't even need the nunchuck.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Cyber-

I dont think Fox should EVER get out of the plane. When he does, the game just goes down hill. I would also like to see more open and free roam environments with tons of life and color. Don't make the game too linear.nakasa5

Thats what I am saying. The on rails at least for most of the game has to be gone. In case people have not noticed besides the lack luster third person shooting elements its basically a better looking Star Fox 64. Star Fox 64 cant just be remade with new visuals. Like i said they have to balance out the "news" and the "olds." It has to be an open world but it cant just be a circulr arena it has to make realistic environmets that are good for fighting in the air. Factor 5 was literally mEANT to make this game. They would know exactly what to do and make it look better than anyone else.

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

It should be Nintendo's online based game. Like the multiplayer in Assault but just 10x better.

The franchise is falling apart and needs something to get it popular again.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts
This game needs the fur effects from Super Mario Galaxy on Fox if this game is to be successful.
newkid69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 newkid69
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
i want a star fox game that is part rails and part free roaming. i would like for starfox to fight andross again, but at the same time i would like for him to fight a different enemy. there should be a special stage in which starfox would fight in the star wars galaxy. let him fight darth vader in his ship and take on the death star. anything is possible, look at soul caliber 4. i think if lucasarts and nintendo were to work together on this, i think it would nicely.:D
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
I actually really liked Star Fox Adventures. I think a more polished sequel with intuitive use of the Wii's motion controls would be perfect.
Nintendo_D00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nintendo_D00d
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

LOLhahaDEAD
I'd probably agree
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

As you guys have pointed out Starfox is a fading franchise and its clear to me that Nintendo themselves are struggling to find a way for it to evolve. To me the fun of Starfox is the hectic dog fights, epic boss battles and Peppy's wise words (please note that doing a barrel roll solves 99% of lifes problems ;)).

I know that a 'traditional' Starfox - a game that is simply an on-rails shooter wouldn't be long enough to justify a full price tag. So, what I'd really like to see is Starfox on Wiiware. I personally would pay the money to see a Starfox game that plays just like the Warioware minigame (Wiimote on its side like a steering wheel) thats about as long as Starfox 64.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cyber-

As you guys have pointed out Starfox is a fading franchise and its clear to me that Nintendo themselves are struggling to find a way for it to evolve. To me the fun of Starfox is the hectic dog fights, epic boss battles and Peppy's wise words (please note that doing a barrel roll solves 99% of lifes problems ;)).

I know that a 'traditional' Starfox - a game that is simply an on-rails shooter wouldn't be long enough to justify a full price tag. So, what I'd really like to see is Starfox on Wiiware. I personally would pay the money to see a Starfox game that plays just like the Warioware minigame (Wiimote on its side like a steering wheel) thats about as long as Starfox 64.

manicfoot

I could see that. If they refuse to do it right they could make it a cheaper arcade type of experience, but I still dont see where your getting this idea where the horizontal control would work. I know you would have tremendous control over how you ship manuevers but how would you aim?

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
[QUOTE="manicfoot"]

Cyber-

I could see that. If they refuse to do it right they could make it a cheaper arcade type of experience, but I still dont see where your getting this idea where the horizontal control would work. I know you would have tremendous control over how you ship manuevers but how would you aim?

Unless the guns are Starfox ships move rather than being mounted in place, what you're shooting at would be based on the direction you're flying. Missiles (or similar) would obviously have some fuzzy factor from a targetting computer for them, but lasers/bullets would simply travel a straight trajectory.

I think movable turrets, in real-life at least, would cause problems in a fighter because of the lag in movement. So, I'd rather it juts be based on what's displayed as targetted.

Also, as far as uses for the nunchuk. Z and C could be tied to counter measures. The analog has a lot of possiblities. It could be rudder and throttle. It could be used to look around your ship (could be a Z+stick to do this).

I dunno, I think if you tie movement to a D-pad or analog and aiming to the pointer, it basically turns the game into a shooter rather than a flight-sim (for lack of a better genre classification).

My only concern with the Wiimote as a joystick is how loose the controls would be.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I agree. There should be comat in arwings, on foot, and in landmasters and other vehicles. You should be able to have your entire team with you at once and you should be able to give them orders like Retreat, Attack, Find Cover, Defend, Scatter, ect. The Wiimote would be pointing somewhere and commanding someone to go there. You should also be able to switch between your teammates at will. On the ground, you should have a variety of weapons. In the air, you should be able to fly in your own custom arwing. And obviously you should be able to have up to three of your freinds helping you through the game, and you should be able to fight them in a battle mode. The list goes on. Also, i could see them making a RTS Starfox for Wii. Anyone like these ideas?
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 goblaa

If you want to know how the wiimote as a flight stick feels, just play SMG when your rolling on that giant glass ball. Obviously it wouldn't be quite as loose as it's a flight game and not a balancing game, but it works. Zack and Wiki does it too when you get control of the pirate's turret. The only problem with zack and wiki is that it was not analog, a problem easily fixed.

With what the wii is and what it stands for, I would be disappointed if I could not use my magic wand (the wiimote) as a pretend flight stick.

lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lolag
Why would they make the control horizontal. I dont even see how that could even work. How woyld you aim the crosshair. I would think using the nunchuk/Wiimote and have the Ir aim the way would be the best thing.Cyber-
Its possible Ir is where you aim move the controller left and right the vechile moves left and right same for up and down. A b lasers and smart bombs. move the controller foward booster move it backward slowdown, flick he controller DO A BARREL ROLL!! it would take some adjusting to it but it seems like fun though
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Cyber-
[QUOTE="Cyber-"][QUOTE="manicfoot"]

Skie7

Unless the guns are Starfox ships move rather than being mounted in place, what you're shooting at would be based on the direction you're flying. Missiles (or similar) would obviously have some fuzzy factor from a targetting computer for them, but lasers/bullets would simply travel a straight trajectory.

I think movable turrets, in real-life at least, would cause problems in a fighter because of the lag in movement. So, I'd rather it juts be based on what's displayed as targetted.

Also, as far as uses for the nunchuk. Z and C could be tied to counter measures. The analog has a lot of possiblities. It could be rudder and throttle. It could be used to look around your ship (could be a Z+stick to do this).

I dunno, I think if you tie movement to a D-pad or analog and aiming to the pointer, it basically turns the game into a shooter rather than a flight-sim (for lack of a better genre classification).

My only concern with the Wiimote as a joystick is how loose the controls would be.

You cant use the nunchuk if you also wanna use the horizontal control. Also the accelometer veering the whole ship to move as aiming would be pretty slow and steady.

Its also important to mention that while the game is on rails its pretty much a shooter no matter what you do. The dogfights are where the flight elements shine but those little arenas they set up are kinda cheesy now which brings me back to what I have already stated.

I still see the best control scheme (as with most games) Wiimote/Nunchuk. Motion down to do the somersault but remain int he same direction, motion up to somersault into the opposite direction, motion left or right to take a sharp turn in tose directions. The IR aims where your ship shoots. Simple. I dont know what they could do with the nunchuk but as long as its accurate the spin left/right would be cool.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
[QUOTE="Skie7"]Unless the guns are Starfox ships move rather than being mounted in place, what you're shooting at would be based on the direction you're flying. Missiles (or similar) would obviously have some fuzzy factor from a targetting computer for them, but lasers/bullets would simply travel a straight trajectory.

Cyber-

You cant use the nunchuk if you also wanna use the horizontal control. Also the accelometer veering the whole ship to move as aiming would be pretty slow and steady.

Its also important to mention that while the game is on rails its pretty much a shooter no matter what you do. The dogfights are where the flight elements shine but those little arenas they set up are kinda cheesy now which brings me back to what I have already stated.

I still see the best control scheme (as with most games) Wiimote/Nunchuk. Motion down to do the somersault but remain int he same direction, motion up to somersault into the opposite direction, motion left or right to take a sharp turn in tose directions. The IR aims where your ship shoots. Simple. I dont know what they could do with the nunchuk but as long as its accurate the spin left/right would be cool.

I'm still not sure why you couldn't use the nunchuk? With the Wiimote you could tilt forward, back, left, right to steer the ship. A, B, and even the D-Pad should all be relatively accessible holding the Wiimote like a flight stick, leaving the nunchuk analog available for other things.

I'm not sure why it'd have to be slow and steady either? With the SMG ball levels as an example (thanks goblaa), you have a fair amount of play allowing you to adjust the speed the ball travels. This would work similar to an actual flight stick by the more you tilt being more of a turn. Abrupt actions might be able to track things like barrel rolls.

There's no reason the game needs to remain on rails though. The game could consist of missions centered around dog fights in large environments. With planets you could restrict them from going off planet during the mission. With space, there could be mission boundaries where you're advised to return if you leave them. It's not like it'd take much processing power to generate open space.