I want to hook up a snes classic to my computer monitor, and i have questions.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

So my computer monitor doesn't have an hdmi port. Is there a way to hook up the computer monitor to the snes classic so i never have to continue to hook and unhook it? i don't want the outlets to start to wear out due to constantly removing and putting the cords back in.

EDIT: So i have a DVI port, i'm looking up information on this and i think i must buy a dvi to hdmi converter, maybe one with an audio jack, though i'm not 100% sure about this atm.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea hdmi to dvi cable

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hydralisk86

@KBFloYd said:

yea hdmi to dvi cable

if i use a dvi to hdmi cable, do i have to keep on removing that cable every time i don't want to play the snes classic, and place it back in? i really am unsure about this kind of stuff, i've been looking through websites to get good answers

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:
@KBFloYd said:

yea hdmi to dvi cable

if i use a dvi to hdmi cable, do i have to keep on removing that cable every time i don't want to play the snes classic, and place it back in? i really am unsure about this kind of stuff, i've been looking through websites to get good answers

depends ....how do you connect your PC to the monitor? with that same exact DVI input? because if it is the same one then yes you will have to uplug and replug.

you need to use two seperate inputs on your monitor. one for your PC and one for the snes classic. if you use two different inputs then you don't have to ever unplug the snes classic. that's what you want. you will just need a remote control or some way to switch the input on the monitor menu. everytime you want to switch over to the snes classic you use the remote control to switch over to the dvi input. then when you are done you get the remote and switch over back to your PC.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hydralisk86

@KBFloYd: i think i get it. I need a converter that is dvi to hdmi right? Is there a way to get sound, like somehow connect my headphones? If the hdmi cable that comes with the snes classic is too short I'll get a longer one. I do have an extra dvi outlet on my monitor since I checked.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:

@KBFloYd: i think i get it. I need a converter that is dvi to hdmi right? Is there a way to get sound, like somehow connect my headphones? If the hdmi cable that comes with the snes classic is too short I'll get a longer one. I do have an extra dvi outlet on my monitor since I checked.

well you can do it two ways. you can get just one cable. 1 side has an hdmi male and the other side a dvi male. that would be the easiest.
like this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519100866&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi&psc=1

or you could use the hdmi cord that comes with the snes classic. and buy a hdmi female side and a dvi male side.
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Female-Adapter-Plated-Support/dp/B01FM51R6S/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519100866&sr=1-13&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi

are you sure your monitor only has 1 input? I am pretty sure monitors came with multiple inputs since forever. take another look.
because unless the monitor has speakers or a way to connect speakers. then you won't get sound. does your monitor output sound? is there a small hole to connect a headphone somewhere?
why not just use a TV.

there might be another way to get sound. tell me the model of your monitor so i can check online and see.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hydralisk86

@KBFloYd said:
@hydralisk86 said:

well you can do it two ways. you can get just one cable. 1 side has an hdmi male and the other side a dvi male. that would be the easiest.

like this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519100866&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi&psc=1

or you could use the hdmi cord that comes with the snes classic. and buy a hdmi female side and a dvi male side.

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Female-Adapter-Plated-Support/dp/B01FM51R6S/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519100866&sr=1-13&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi

are you sure your monitor only has 1 input? I am pretty sure monitors came with multiple inputs since forever. take another look.

because unless the monitor has speakers or a way to connect speakers. then you won't get sound. does your monitor output sound?

why not just use a TV.

there might be another way to get sound. tell me the model of your monitor so i can check online and see.

I said the monitor has more than one outlet on it. the model of my monitor is ZR24w from HP.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KBFloYd

ok...

you can get sound by getting one of these

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=3958978

you can connect it to your monitor with USB

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KBFloYd

i had an hdmi to dvi cable and i got sound. so if your monitor has speakers you should get sound.

if your monitor doesnt have speakers then you need the soundbar.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hydralisk86

@KBFloYd said:

i had an hdmi to dvi cable and i got sound. so if your monitor has speakers you should get sound.

is it possible to get a better quality soundbar working on my monitor? just wondering.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hydralisk86

Also I think that sound bar has to connect to the computer with the cable that comes with it so I don't think I can just connect the USB to the monitor and have sound for the snes classic.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:
@KBFloYd said:

is it possible to get a better quality soundbar working on my monitor? just wondering.

i think you could as long as it uses USB to connect it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:

Also I think that sound bar has to connect to the computer with the cable that comes with it so I don't think I can just connect the USB to the monitor and have sound for the snes classic.

it says on the page that the cable it comes with is a USB.

• Speaker Bar with captive USB (power) cable and color-coded audio cable

your monitor only has VGA/DVI/display port/ and USB ports...
it has to use USB to connect to the soundbar.
the soundbar connect to your monitor. not your PC

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hydralisk86

@KBFloYd: where does the audio cable connect to though? I am not sure, read somewhere that the color coded audio must connect to the desktop to get sound (to get sound from the desktop, which is useless since I want sound from the snes classic. )

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:

@KBFloYd: where does the audio cable connect to though? I am not sure, read somewhere that the color coded audio must connect to the desktop to get sound (to get sound from the desktop, which is useless since I want sound from the snes classic. )

the USB carries the audio. USB cables can be used to pass audio and video.

that other color coded audio cable included is maybe so you can connect another component like cd player or something.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hydralisk86

@KBFloYd: ok. Well I found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ0z17-Hh1Q

Is it possible for me to use something like this?

I mean is It possible for something like this to exist with the right dvi port? It was said to be a way to use headphones with the snes classic.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:

I mean is It possible for something like this to exist with the right dvi port? It was said to be a way to use headphones with the snes classic.

i say yes. use the regular hdmi from the snes mini to the dock(from the video)...however the cord from the dock to the monitor. has to be one of these

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519100866&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi&psc=1

where one side is hdmi and the other is dvi. the hdmi will plug into the dock and the dvi side will connect to your monitor.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hydralisk86

@KBFloYd said:
@hydralisk86 said:

i say yes. use the regular hdmi from the snes mini to the dock(from the video)...however the cord from the dock to the monitor. has to be one of these

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519100866&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi&psc=1

where one side is hdmi and the other is dvi. the hdmi will plug into the dock and the dvi side will connect to your monitor.

And do you think most docks out there on amazon will have the hole where i could plug in my headphones? Do i need the exact dock in the youtube video? i searched on amazon.com i cant seem to find the exact one the youtube video shows.

Lastly, if i connect to the hdmi from the snes mini to the dock, then connect a cord from the dock to the monitor using the dvi to hdmi cord, will the snes mini work? also i'm worried about what else i have to do to get my headphones to work with the snes mini.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:
@KBFloYd said:

And do you think most docks out there on amazon will have the hole where i could plug in my headphones? Do i need the exact dock in the youtube video? i searched on amazon.com i cant seem to find the exact one the youtube video shows.

Lastly, if i connect to the hdmi from the snes mini to the dock, then connect a cord from the dock to the monitor using the dvi to hdmi cord, will the snes mini work? also i'm worried about what else i have to do to get my headphones to work with the snes mini.

yes it should work. thats the point of the hdmi to dvi cable. otherwise they wouldnt sell them :P

i can't find that exact one in the video either.

however here is the same thing except it only accpets 1 hdmi in instead of 3. take your pick.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Audio-Extractor-Splitter-Converter/dp/B076MNY1RD

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Optical-Extractor-Converter-Splitter/dp/B017B6WFP8

https://www.amazon.com/Tensun-Converter-Extractor-Splitter-Blue-ray/dp/B019T0WTV4

here is a chart explaining how to set it up. not the same model but same idea.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hydralisk86

@KBFloYd: since the snes classic and the hdmi to dvi cord will connect to the dock, don't I need 2 hdmi holes on the dock? And shouldn't I buy a dock with 4 hdmi holes in case I want to connect more items in the future?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:

@KBFloYd: since the snes classic and the hdmi to dvi cord will connect to the dock, don't I need 2 hdmi holes on the dock? And shouldn't I buy a dock with 4 hdmi holes in case I want to connect more items in the future?

yes there are two holes. in the picture you can clealry see hdmi in and hdmi out.... one to connect the snes classic and the other to connect to the tv/monitor.

do you mean that you want to connect your PC also? so you want an extra slot?

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hydralisk86

@KBFloYd: i just felt I might want more holes on the dock in case I want to plug in other items like my desktop computer or other devices. Is it worth it to buy a dock with more hdmi holes? Lastly how do I know if the dock I buy has a hole where I can plug in headphones?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KBFloYd

@hydralisk86 said:

@KBFloYd: i just felt I might want more holes on the dock in case I want to plug in other items like my desktop computer or other devices. Is it worth it to buy a dock with more hdmi holes? Lastly how do I know if the dock I buy has a hole where I can plug in headphones?

lol man all that stuff is clearly visible on the amazon links i posted.

and yes if you want to connect more stuff then go ahead and look for one with more ports.