I see the reason why people say Nintendo is kiddy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blazingneo32089
blazingneo32089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blazingneo32089
Member since 2009 • 630 Posts
Its because we are seeing games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Nerf, Bakugan, Teacher School trip, and other family games being advertised on t.v. but we rarely see Madworld, Metroid, Zelda, Resident Evil, Dead Space Extraction, House of Dead, or even Muramasa on t.v. ads. Especially in the U.S. And unlike some of those people, I actually look up what "other" games the Wii has and I find so much "T" and "M" rated games not advertised. An ordinary person who may not know much about most of the Wii library would think that the Wii and DS are "only for kids". Why don't we see more "T" and "M" rated Wii games advertised on t.v.? I won't be surprised if games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Monster Hunter Tri and Sin and Punishment 2 won't be advertised on t.v. Here in the U.S. at least.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Fan128
Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Nintendo_Fan128
Member since 2006 • 4270 Posts

Because first party Nintendo titles are usually family-friendly and they always were, so Nintendo got the "kiddy" image they have nowadays.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Nintendo prides itself on it's games being able to be played by children so why would they go out of their way to interfere with that?

All Nintendo games are built to be able to be played by someone 4 years old and someone 94 years old, that's their thing

Easy accessible games that anyone can play.

If thid parties want to advertise they can do that but for Nintendo they would just damage their brand

Avatar image for blazingneo32089
blazingneo32089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blazingneo32089
Member since 2009 • 630 Posts

Nintendo prides itself on it's games being able to be played by children so why would they go out of their way to interfere with that?

All Nintendo games are built to be able to be played by someone 4 years old and someone 94 years old, that's their thing

If thid parties want to advertise they can do that but for Nintendo they would just damage their brand

Jaysonguy
I see what u mean. Makes sense. However, they dont even advertise Smash Brothers Brawl. Thats a first-party game from Nintendo. And I remember Metroid Prime 3 being advertised once.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

blazingneo32089

I see what u mean. Makes sense. However, they dont even advertise Smash Brothers Brawl. Thats a first-party game from Nintendo. And I remember Metroid Prime 3 being advertised once.

Smash Bros was advertised on channels (mostly) aimed at children. Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon both had ads for it, plus a ton of other Nintendo software

Also the top tier Nintendo games don't need much advertising because everyone knows them. Out of Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid it was Metroid that got the biggest push of ads because it's the least known franchise out of them.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
No. It's not because of Wii Sports etc. It goes back long before that.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

I see what u mean. Makes sense. However, they dont even advertise Smash Brothers Brawl. Thats a first-party game from Nintendo. And I remember Metroid Prime 3 being advertised once.blazingneo32089

I don't know about you, but I recall seeing this quite a few times. :P Anyways, while the nail has been hit on the head, I'd like to say it again; Nintendo is seen as "kiddy" by some people because it creates content for such a broad age group. Because it doesn't have its creative focus on solely the 18-35 group, you see those who feel that what Nintendo doing is somehow wrong. As for certain games being advertised, that's something only the respective publishers of those games can answer. Should you get an answer from one, please let myself and many of the people on this board know what it is. :P

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
oddly enough i tihnk the wii has some of the most violent games I've ever seen. Madworld, No more heroes, and Manhunt 2 (somewhat)
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
oddly enough i tihnk the wii has some of the most violent games I've ever seen. Madworld, No more heroes, and Manhunt 2 (somewhat) zerosaber456
but for every 10 hours of violent gameplay, there is 100 hours of kiddy minigame collections
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I don't see people saying that as much anymore, that's a last generation thing.
PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

I don't see people saying that as much anymore, that's a last generation thing.Devil-Itachi

I agree. Nintendo was seen as "kiddy" much more last generation with the whole "Purple GameCube looks like a toy box" thing. Nintendo with the Wii seems to have shred the "kiddy" image. The mature Twilight Princess look and the more mature approach to Brawl have helped. Heck, even Super Mario Galaxy has an elegance that is more than "kiddy" gameplay (though I think this was an illusion last generation anyway). Metroid: Other M is really the kicker - Nintendo is teaming up with Team Ninja. That's pretty unprecedented.

Instead this generation Nintendo is being seen as casual, with all the "Wii _____ " franchises. But "casual" players aren't all kids - in fact, most of them are adults.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

I don't see people saying that as much anymore, that's a last generation thing.Devil-Itachi

Actually this generation is more then ever

Nintendo is saying that for a child's first video game system they should have a Wii and for grandma's first system she should have a Wii.

Nintendo has worked for generations to make themselves the only name in children's video games, they're now building off that public perception and using it as a main selling point.

Any company would be happy to have the public perception Nintendo does when it comes to children

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
why are you mentioning third parties? nintendo is labeled kiddy, and there are reasons for some to see it like that, but not the ones you mentioned. look at nintendo's characters. they're family friendly characters, not some big-boobed lady or a ridiculously strong marine with huge machine guns. that's why they're more memorable than the others. they're simple, yet charismatic. everyone knows them, and everyone instantly associates them with videogames. unlike some random space marine on steroids.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's called the "Disney" Effect.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#15 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

People have been saying Nintendo is kiddy ever since I started playing video games, and that was before the N64 era. It's just that consoles are defined by a select few games, and that image will stick with it forever. Some people think Nintendo = Mario = non-realistic = kiddie.

Not that it matters. Didn't it stick out to you that nearly all people who complain about Nintendo being kiddy are kids?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

The whole "kiddy console" concept has completely lost all meaning to me as I've gotten older.

But I'll try to think of something to say about it anyway.

A whole console can't be described as anything, because it all depends on what games you, as an individual, have for it. If all I had for my Wii was Wii Sports, Zack and Wiki, De Blob, and NSMB, then I guess you could call it kiddy. But if all I had was Madworld, Umbrella Chronicles, and Deadly Creatures, then you'd be crazy to call it a kiddy console. But I have all of those games, and then some, so.... What do we call that?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
[QUOTE="zerosaber456"]oddly enough i tihnk the wii has some of the most violent games I've ever seen. Madworld, No more heroes, and Manhunt 2 (somewhat) garrett_duffman
but for every 10 hours of violent gameplay, there is 100 hours of kiddy minigame collections

And the same could have been said about the PS2. The reason I believe(and I'm pretty sure its true) is its just fanboys grasping at straws for things to say. They know they cant very well pull the "Halo sucks" routine and say Mario sucks, because Mario games are more popular abd well renowned than any game they could ever think of, so they pull out the "kiddy argument" to have something to say.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="zerosaber456"]oddly enough i tihnk the wii has some of the most violent games I've ever seen. Madworld, No more heroes, and Manhunt 2 (somewhat) Sepewrath

And the same could have been said about the PS2. The reason I believe(and I'm pretty sure its true) is its just fanboys grasping at straws for things to say. They know they cant very well pull the "Halo sucks" routine and say Mario sucks, because Mario games are more popular abd well renowned than any game they could ever think of, so they pull out the "kiddy argument" to have something to say.

I dont know of many kiddy minigame collections on the ps2... the PS2 had a much stronger lineup than the wii does now.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath

No the PS2 had even more crap than the Wii does, it just wasn't as noticeable because it got all the big multiplat titles unlike the Wii and it also had a huge list of 3rd party blockbuster exclusives unlike the Wii. But when it comes to crappy shovelware, like Dora the Explorer and Elmo games, the only console that may be able to rival it is the NES, the Wii has nothing on the PS2 in the shovelware market when it comes to preying on the uninformed. Also a cheap mini game collection isn't kiddy, its just crappy shovelware. The term kiddy like casual doesn't actual mean anything, since there 15,000 different meanings, it simply suppose to be an insult.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 garrett_duffman

No the PS2 had even more crap than the Wii does, it just wasn't as noticeable because it got all the big multiplat titles unlike the Wii and it also had a huge list of 3rd party blockbuster exclusives unlike the Wii. But when it comes to crappy shovelware, like Dora the Explorer and Elmo games, the only console that may be able to rival it is the NES, the Wii has nothing on the PS2 in the shovelware market when it comes to preying on the uninformed. Also a cheap mini game collection isn't kiddy, its just crappy shovelware.

Sepewrath
I think that the ratio of good games to bad games is a bit different with the wii than the PS2, but lets not turn this into a system wars topic.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
This is not a system wars topic, we aren't in here bickering about who has the best boxart or start up screen, where comparing software ratio's, having an effect on perception not consoles. So I would like to not be needlessly modded for this one.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 garrett_duffman
This is not a system wars topic, we aren't in here bickering about who has the best boxart or start up screen, where comparing software ratio's, having an effect on perception not consoles. So I would like to not be needlessly modded for this one. Sepewrath
im not a big fan either
maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Got the name in the N64 era & stuck with it since...I don't remember ppl was saying the SNES was kiddy console back then..heard it when N64. GameCube & still with Wii.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
its not cool to have games that are targeted for family play and games that have no violence/blood.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

Got the name in the N64 era & stuck with it since...I don't remember ppl was saying the SNES was kiddy console back then..heard it when N64. GameCube & still with Wii.

maxgil2

I remember the GC was labeled a purple lunchbox for Barney :lol: But you cant really blame others because if I recall correctly, Nintendo said they design the disc to be small to fit in a childs hand and the handle on the GC to easy carry it to a friends house..

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Nintendo isn't kiddy.

It's the THIRD PARTIES THAT ARE MAKING THE KIDDY GAMES.

Nintendo is FAMILY FRIENDLY.

NorgesGutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NorgesGutt
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
The whole kiddy-label was something that annoyed the hell out of me a couple of years ago, but that I've really grown out of caring about. Some people have just got their minds set on that Nintendo is for kids, and trying to change these kinds of opinions is, in many cases, hopeless. As for me personally, having sticked with Nintendo a couple of years now, don't really see Nintendo's machine as more kiddy than the others. I've always been a hardcore Nintendo-gamer in the fact that I look for games on mye own initiative. That is how I discover many of the "hidden" games, which often in Wii's case is the most violent and mature. The mass market doesn't search for games, they wait for what is presented and advertised to them by the media. And in the case of Wii, the games that are advertised for in a large scale is often the more family-friendly and "gimmicky". A Playstation-fanboy who has never owned a Nintendo-machine does only get what is presented to him by the media concerning Wii, which again affects his opinion that Wii (and Nintendo) is family-orientated/kiddie. 360 and PS3 is more marketed through mature titles such as Halo and Gears of War, making the mass market's perception of these machines as ultraviolent adult-orientated systems. If Nintendo had left their heavy advertising on "light" family-friendly titles, and instead advertised games such as No More Heroes, Madworld and such - chances are that the mainstream opinion on Nintendo could easily have changed. Right now Nintendo has found a success-formula, and will probably continue this public image. They are making money this way. It is business, after all.
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Don't you just miss the days when the Big N was truly the Big N and going head-to-head with Sega? I entered the 32-bit with a Saturn because it was a Sega, then an N64, played the PSX at a store around the end of 1996 and was like "This'll beat Nintendo and Sega? LOL!". I even remember a conversation I had between myself, my older brother and my uncle, we really really under-estimated it going as far as saying "It'll die a month from now" which is why I ignored it until 1999 when I bought one. Boy were we wrong, look how times have changed.

Nintendo began being labelled as "kiddy" when Sony came in and took the industry by storm during the 32/64-bit era, it's the fanboys fault. Nintendo compounded the problem by becoming more and more family friendly from then on.

greenarcher02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 greenarcher02
Member since 2009 • 988 Posts

they've always been that way somehow..... besides, games are supposed to be FOR KIDS (and maybe older people?)... proper adults should work and take care of their children, not play all day.... what? did you think the NES was made for audiences aged 21+? but yeah, fanboys now would beg to differ...

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

they've always been that way somehow..... besides, games are supposed to be FOR KIDS (and maybe older people?)... proper adults should work and take care of their children, not play all day.... what? did you think the NES was made for audiences aged 21+?greenarcher02

Saying that they've always been like is both true and untrue in a way. Up until the 32-bit era it was very rare if unthinkable to make a console game catering to adults with "mature" themes (blood, gore, sex... etc), it was more or less a taboo. The biggest example I can think of is the Mortal Kombat controversy. Games those days were almost entirely family friendly and when you think about it most of the classic games of the 8-bit and 16-bit era were family friendly at its core. That changed in the 32-bit era, but Nintendo more or less kept with the 16-bit mindset and it's been like that ever since. Sure Nintendo should've kept with the times in a way, but most of the blame IMO rests with the fanboys of Nintendo's competitors.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

under rated console with mediocre games.

As Sonic would say..."COME ON STEP IT UP!"

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

under rated console with mediocre games.

As Sonic would say..."COME ON STEP IT UP!"

LegatoSkyheart
or like sega would say before nintendo started saying "want something on our console? we don't care, just do it!" "we do what nintendon't" which is, from where i see, when nintendo started being labeled "kiddy". mortal kombat didn't have blood, it had a weird gray goo, for example. yes. BLAME. SEGA.
Marcster1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Marcster1994
Member since 2008 • 516 Posts

Well, Nintendo is trying to expand their audience.

Plus, Madworld is one of the bloodiest,funnest games I've ever palyed

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Plenty of kiddy games are made and advertised for the PS3 and 360. I saw a ben10 alien force commercial advertised the other day. Now available on PS3 and Xbox 360!

I never see UC2 ads or anything. The only game ads I've seen recently besides shovel ware/kid games are L4D2 (saw like one TV spot) and MW2 (two tv spots!)

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

Nintendo isn't kiddy.

It's the THIRD PARTIES THAT ARE MAKING THE KIDDY GAMES.

Nintendo is FAMILY FRIENDLY.

Crazyguy105

This is something people who say Nintendo is kiddy do not understand. There is a difference between family friendly and kiddy.

JoyStickChick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JoyStickChick
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts
Ehh, it's all about their most profitable target market. I mean they have probably done research and realized advertising towards family-centric buyers does better than focusing on the average gamer. It sucks, though, that people perceive the Wii and Nintendo to be a bunch of kiddy crap.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#37 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

you must be a fanboy , to even make that comment , that was one of the old excusespeople used not to get a n64 , ,

sorry but your years late and that comment is useless ,

go play driver paralel lienes bully manhun 2 godfather red steel farcry moh cod oh dont forget metroid prime giest fzero quite a few nintendo games that were extensive violent or are aimed at everyone,

fzero is one of the most graphics gamecube games made ,

ssbb is another title that isnt really cartoony

seriousy grow up ,

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 garrett_duffman

you must be a fanboy , to even make that comment , that was one of the old excusespeople used not to get a n64 , ,

sorry but your years late and that comment is useless ,

go play driver paralel lienes bully manhun 2 godfather red steel farcry moh cod oh dont forget metroid prime giest fzero quite a few nintendo games that were extensive violent or are aimed at everyone,

fzero is one of the most graphics gamecube games made ,

ssbb is another title that isnt really cartoony

seriousy grow up ,

mariokart64fan
for ever 1 non kiddy game there is at least ten kiddy games. its something that all mature wii owners have to accept
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
Some people think all consoles are kiddy.
Dave_Bonds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dave_Bonds
Member since 2009 • 300 Posts

Yes.

And some people seem to think that they have to attach their egos to everything that they purchase as a reflection of themselves.

Ego tripping is nothing new. Yes,Nintendo and some third party publishers have very childish characters. They did it on perpose. Make no mistake about that. People don't seem to take everything into consideration when they generalize and label.

This falls under the same category as animation andtoys/action figures. Few people look at the bigger picture and think of it as something well rounded, like the skateboard industry, for example. People of all ages purchasing them, generally accepted by all as partaking in it without critisizm of age.

I've been called immature outright by people because I collect toys, skate, have and play videogames in my home as well as comics, cartoons, etc. and I have never cared. I get critisized all the time by more "serious" gamers among my friends, because I don't have an Xbox360 or PS3. Oddly enough, I'm usually the most skilled gamer among my friends, from many years of playing at the arcade with ultra competitive and usually older peers. I've had guns pulled on me outside ofarcades from self acclaimed gang members over the first Mortal Kombat. Sometimes it gets way out of control with people and becomes a lot more than just a social past time. Some people take games dead serious. There is a reason why arcades aren't in 7-11's anymore. I wasn't allowed back at the arcade for a while, when I told my mom what happened that night. The kids were eventually arrested for stabbing someone at a nearby privately owned convinience store over SFII turbo.

That kind of behavior is an extreme example, but it does go to show that acting out in aggression isn't worth it. Especially over something as petty as a videogame that should be enjoyed.

Avatar image for randomwiiplayer
randomwiiplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 randomwiiplayer
Member since 2009 • 1804 Posts

I wonder........

Oh.... right......

I'm not at all saying that I think Nintendo is kiddy, but I see where they are getting it from.