I never played metroid before so, should I buy the third one for the wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ttoommaass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ttoommaass
Member since 2005 • 117 Posts
I never played metroid before and I wanted to buy it for the wii but I am afraid the story will be to confusing, so, should I buy it?
Avatar image for nintendo_fan675
nintendo_fan675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nintendo_fan675
Member since 2007 • 14578 Posts

Depends if you like the type of gameplay, watch some videos of Prime 2 and 1

Also the story isn't confusioning I can tell it to you if you like

chisoxrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chisoxrule
Member since 2005 • 2097 Posts
Depends if you are into the style of gameplay. It doesn't really matter if you played the others or not. Metroid games have all been about the gameplay and exploration. Not everyone's cup of tea but still one of my favorite series.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
Get it. The story isn't a problem. The first two adventures also deal with corruption except this time around Samus herself gets corrupted.
ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts
I never played metroid before and I wanted to buy it for the wii but I am afraid the story will be to confusing, so, should I buy it?ttoommaass
Yeah I think you should.... The last metroid game I have ever played was the first one for the old school Game Boy back when I was a kid, but that wont stop me.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts
Before buying Metroid Prime 3, download Super Metroid.
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts
i'm in the same situation, and is there alot of puzzles, or just some?
Ahmedrams81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ahmedrams81
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts
try to play it somewhere else before you buy it so you can see if you like the gameplay,
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
Well, I'm not sure about Corruption, but what you can really expect from any Metroid game is lots of backtracking, exploration, puzzles, enemies to blast. If you like FPS or FPA it is a must-buy.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
i'm in the same situation, and is there alot of puzzles, or just some?iloverikku11
it's an adventure first, shooter second, this should give you an idea how much will the puzzles be.
Darkness-zora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darkness-zora
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts

play 1 and 3

2 is no good

Binarynova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Binarynova
Member since 2006 • 373 Posts

play 1 and 3

2 is no good

Darkness-zora

Sadly, this is how I feel too. The first Metroid Prime game was very good. In my opinion it was the best 3D version of a 2D series ever. But, Metroid Prime 2 with it's Dark/Light just felt kinda gimmicky and not very fun. I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 though... even if I'm kind of worried that this Hypermode is going to give me the same gimmicky feeling.

To answer the topic creator though, it's hard for me to judge if you should pick this up since I've been playing Metroid since the NES days. There is a story, though it's very 'behind the scenes.' If you're worried about not understanding the story then trust me, it most likely won't be a problem.

I do suggest though, downloading Super Metroid for the Wii VC. It's a classic and it truly defines what Metroid is all about.

casinater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 casinater
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts
[QUOTE="Darkness-zora"]

play 1 and 3

2 is no good

Binarynova

Sadly, this is how I feel too. The first Metroid Prime game was very good. In my opinion it was the best 3D version of a 2D series ever. But, Metroid Prime 2 with it's Dark/Light just felt kinda gimmicky and not very fun. I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime 3 though... even if I'm kind of worried that this Hypermode is going to give me the same gimmicky feeling.

To answer the topic creator though, it's hard for me to judge if you should pick this up since I've been playing Metroid since the NES days. There is a story, though it's very 'behind the scenes.' If you're worried about not understanding the story then trust me, it most likely won't be a problem.

I do suggest though, downloading Super Metroid for the Wii VC. It's a classic and it truly defines what Metroid is all about.

"gimmicky"??? how did going back and forth through a dark/light rift torn by a massive catastrophic event feel gimmicky?? and u obviously havent seen any videos of samus in hypermode..it is freakin awesome! nothing about any of the metroids is "gimmicky"......mario can be "gimmicky" at times but not metroid.

JonDohJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JonDohJersey
Member since 2007 • 624 Posts
one word...YES!!!!!
Shadowsouled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shadowsouled
Member since 2004 • 93 Posts
Yes. I would also suggest going back and playing the rest, including the side scrolling ones.
burfeindt21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 burfeindt21
Member since 2006 • 1720 Posts
[QUOTE="Binarynova"][QUOTE="Darkness-zora"]

play 1 and 3

2 is no good

casinater

"gimmicky"??? how did going back and forth through a dark/light rift torn by a massive catastrophic event feel gimmicky?? and u obviously havent seen any videos of samus in hypermode..it is freakin awesome! nothing about any of the metroids is "gimmicky"......mario can be "gimmicky" at times but not metroid.

I actually do feel like its kinda gimmicky because ive seen this format used in another game before, (LoZ ALttP)
Binarynova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Binarynova
Member since 2006 • 373 Posts

"gimmicky"??? how did going back and forth through a dark/light rift torn by a massive catastrophic event feel gimmicky?? and u obviously havent seen any videos of samus in hypermode..it is freakin awesome! nothing about any of the metroids is "gimmicky"......mario can be "gimmicky" at times but not metroid.casinater

As far as Metroid Prime 2 is concerned, burfeindt21 pretty much hit the nail on the head. It felt an awful lot like A Link to the Past for me. And in general, I just didn't like the Dark/Light premise of the game. To me it felt like they just took a very cliched light vs dark idea and duct taped it to Metroid Prime.

Yes. I have seen videos of Samus in Hypermode. I love how this "super powerful version of Samus" only works on a "limited time basis" because otherwise "Samus will become completely corrupted." *sigh* Why can't I just play Samus the way that she is? The worst part is that I'm willing to bet you will be required to switch to it in order to open some doors and defeat some enemies and most definately the bosses.

When I say "gimmicky" perhaps what I'm meaning to say is just "not classic Samus." I don't feel there is anything wrong with the classic formula which was nearly perfected in Metroid Prime 1. Samus has enough tools at her disposal without needing to defer to the corrupting power of Phazon. IMO. Then again, I think I'm also one of the few people who thinks that the original Mega Man series was just fine without any of the tangets (X, Battle Network, etc...). But lots of people were "tired" of that.

sizzleshakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sizzleshakes
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

In my opinion, I would definitely get Metroid Prime3. However, like mostly everyone else is saying, it depends on your gaming style. This is a sci-fi first-person adventure/sci-fi fps (plenty of puzzles,exploring,and shooting, basically). If you like those kinds of games, then this game is probably for you. But first, make sure you play Primes 1 and/or2 and see whether you like the gameplay. Personally, I think both games are fantastic, no matter what people say about Echoes. Then again, everyone's opinion is different, so it depends on what you think, but at least give it a try.

Trifle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Trifle
Member since 2003 • 59 Posts

there are a few different ways to look at it, if you wanna play it go for it...it wont really affect anything...but if you wanna play it for the story line...then you got alot of work ahead of you, and alot of system jumping...

metroid (nes) though i actually perfer Metroid: Zero Mission(GBA)...basic remake of the NES version, only better...also has the original NES version on it after you beat it.

Metroid Prime 1,2,3 (Gamecube/Wii)

Metroid 2 (gameboy)...and good luck finding it, i should have bought it when i saw it in a used bin at EB Games...

Super Metroid 3 (SNES) very awesome

Metroid 4: Fusion (GBA)

bigcalkenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 bigcalkenobi
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts
Get this strait that this isn't just another sci-fi FPS it has tons of exploring and more in the game. The first 2 primes were among the best games on the cube, and I'm convinced that this will be be the same for the Wii. At very least rent it, but I highly reccomend that you buy it. There really isn't too much story to worry about, however, there are important parts from Prime 1 and 2 that will come into play in PRime 3. At least, read up on the first 2 games. If you can wait a while to buy Prime 3, then play the other 2 first,either way, you will be good on understanding story.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I think you can enjoy it without playing the others. I played it earlier today and it reminded me why the SNES had the best videogame library ever.