I need tips for running my Wii on an HDTV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

My Wii looks like a fuzzy nightmare on my Panasonic Vierra Z85. I know this tv is capable of truely amazing visulas, my PS3 looks deadly wicked on it.

But when I fired up my Wii, it looked about 10 times worse than on my regular tv. I turned on 480p, it helped a little, but still it looks terrible.
Now, I want to keep enjoying my Wii, but I just can't stand looking at it when it's on my new tv.

Is there any website or something that can give me tips on what to put my picture settings to? I have to do something, I can't go on playing like this.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Do you have component cables? If not then get them.

I dont use them so i would not know. But i have heard they improve the graphics a little

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Conjuration

I dont use them so i would not know. But i have heard they improve the graphics a little

alexh_99

YessirI have it hooked up with Component cables.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 alexh_99
[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

Conjuration

then i have no other tips for you.
Thebettafish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Thebettafish
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

If it's set to Widescreen mode and 480p then that's as good as it's going to get. The Wii doesn't go any higher, sorry.

-Betta

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

If it's set to Widescreen mode and 480p then that's as good as it's going to get. The Wii doesn't go any higher, sorry.

-Betta

Thebettafish
Yeah. My T.V in my room is not that big and can only go to 480p so I never really have a problem. But make sure Wii is at 480p and widescreen.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

alexh_99
Just so you know, it's impossible to run 480p without component cables or HDMI. It boils down to TV resolution and the Wii's cap of 480p. You can't get to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p with the Wii.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alexh_99
[QUOTE="alexh_99"]

MAILER_DAEMON

Just so you know, it's impossible to run 480p without component cables or HDMI. It boils down to TV resolution and the Wii's cap of 480p. You can't get to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p with the Wii.

i guess you learn something new everyday

mprezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9 mprezzy
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

From my own personal experience, if you're running the component cables through an audio receiver instead of directly into the tv, it may further distort the picture settings. I've yet to figure out why this is happening to me, and I'm fairly adept at these things. My audio receiver and plasma tv have multiple ports for hdmi, component, etc. My PS3, satellite, dvd player, all work great HDMI, but unless I hook the wii component cable directly to the tv, it's crap. I don't know if that will help or not, or whether your particular brand is plasma or LCD. That could make difference too. LCD is a little more sensitive to the pixel number on widescreen settings, it seems. I get motion sickness watching anything less than 720p on a large LCD tv, hence my decision to go with plasma. Just theorizing there though. I've not hooked up my Wii to LCD to know for sure.

As for the audio receiver issue, if that IS a culprit, I got around it by hooking the component cables up to the tv direct, save the audio cables. I just run them through the audio receiver alone to get surround sound with a better Wii picture.

jaminator45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jaminator45
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts

From my own personal experience, if you're running the component cables through an audio receiver instead of directly into the tv, it may further distort the picture settings. I've yet to figure out why this is happening to me, and I'm fairly adept at these things. My audio receiver and plasma tv have multiple ports for hdmi, component, etc. My PS3, satellite, dvd player, all work great HDMI, but unless I hook the wii component cable directly to the tv, it's crap. I don't know if that will help or not, or whether your particular brand is plasma or LCD. That could make difference too. LCD is a little more sensitive to the pixel number on widescreen settings, it seems. I get motion sickness watching anything less than 720p on a large LCD tv, hence my decision to go with plasma. Just theorizing there though. I've not hooked up my Wii to LCD to know for sure.

As for the audio receiver issue, if that IS a culprit, I got around it by hooking the component cables up to the tv direct, save the audio cables. I just run them through the audio receiver alone to get surround sound with a better Wii picture.

mprezzy

THis issue can be caused if you receiver does internal switching from a component input to an HDMI output. Soif the only cable you have running from the receiver to the tv is hdmi then it means that your receiver is not switching very well. Some of the receivers do that better than others.

yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
the wii is not a high def system so the wii would have looked better on your old tv. i know how you are feeling cause im using a 50 inch tv with my 360 and wii. one is using hdmi and the other one is using regular component cable which is pretty lame, but if you use the right settings you can blur out the blurriness. games like mario, metroid, and brawl do indeed still look amazing.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

I don't think that the wii is high definition. That might be the problem.

And Hi-def looks like $**t anyway.

Lynx777
maby on your TV but HD looks great on mine.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
only advice i can give u TC is just go threw your TV manual ect. it should not look alot worse on a HDtv im on a 26' vizio and useing it in 480p and it looks betterthan on any regular TV i have seen. not HD but still crisp and clear.You probly going to notice more jaggies but thats becuase of the wii useing 480 res on a native HD screen but it should not be that bad.make sure you go into your wii display settings and use widescreen and 480P not 480i. check and be sure you are useing the componet cables....or is it composite...not the ones that came with the sysytem. lol i always get the names mixed up :p
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41568 Posts
Just use standard component cables. Wii on HDTV sucks, but then again, it might run better with the Wii HD coming out in 2011.
mprezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#16 mprezzy
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts
[QUOTE="mprezzy"]

jaminator45

THis issue can be caused if you receiver does internal switching from a component input to an HDMI output. Soif the only cable you have running from the receiver to the tv is hdmi then it means that your receiver is not switching very well. Some of the receivers do that better than others.

Yeah, I called the company on both the t.v. and audio receiver, they both said similar. I tried disconnecting the HDMI cable while running it through to no avail, they both gave the same solution: "Uh, sorry. Hook it up to the tv, we can't offer detailed assistance on third party hardware." *sigh*
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
The Wii looks that way, there's nothing you can do.
AppleBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AppleBlade
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts

It will vary from TV to TV. It all depends on how good the upscaler chip is in your TV. One solution is if you have a home theatre reciever that supports upscaling, you can run your Wii to the receiver and then to the TV. I remember on another gaming forum, some guy was running his Wii to his Sony receiver and then to his HDTV and had wonderful results. Honestly, I wish that the PS3 had video inputs on it, because the PS3 is the best upscaler I have ever seen. Standard definition DVD's (same resolution as the Wii) look gorgeous when you play them on the PS3. PS2 games also look a lot more crisp when you play them on the PS3.

One thing you can do is to lower sharpness as much as you can. The picture won't look as sharp but the jaggies will be reduced.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
[QUOTE="Conjuration"][QUOTE="alexh_99"]

well how big is this panasonic i have hooked up my wii with the component av cables it looks great on my sony bravia 37inch guess its your tv.
bbeastieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 bbeastieboy
Member since 2005 • 84 Posts
I've hooked my Wii up to my aun'ts Sony Bravia 50" HDTV using component cables and the only thing I changed to get an amazing picture was from standard to widescreen tv settings on the wii itself. Maybe your HD cables are toast?
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts
I have seen my Wii run on a SONY 1080p 50in. Veira plasma, MITSUBISHI 60in. 1080p Plasma, 32in. VISIO 1080i LCD and the picture has looked great on all of them. Adjusting the visual options on your TV should produce the result you are looking for. All of them. Brightness, Contrast, Advanced options, ect., It will make a difference. Also, some games are just look better on HDTV than others. Metroid Prime 3 looks amazing whereas Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition looks very jagged and a little blurry. Keep that in mind. Most Wii games coming out now look fantistic on whatever TV type you are using. If it still doesn't look good, you are either very picky or you need a better TV. That just my opinion.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Conjuration
[QUOTE="Conjuration"][QUOTE="alexh_99"]

TX360

well how big is this panasonic i have hooked up my wii with the component av cables it looks great on my sony bravia 37inch guess its your tv.

I got a 42", it's the Vierra Z85. My PS3 and Blu Ray look absolutely killer on this set, but the Wii just looks so bland on it. I really think it looked better on my 27" Panasonic Tau sdtv.
Maybe I'm just noticing the flaws more because the new tv's so much bigger than my old one? IDK, i guess I can live with it, but it's still disappointing.