I don't see how a screen on a controler could be useful.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Amongst all these awesome wii2 rumors, there's been talk of a controler redesign. I for one really like the wiimote and hope they don't go back to arcaic tradtional controls. That said, some of the rumors have mentioned the new controller having a screen. Wut 4? Really, I got no idea.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Me neither, it is pointless

also, who wants a 100$-150$ controller?

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Um, the touch screen in the DS costs like $10. A simple 320x240 touch screen, multi-touch, built into (or sliding out of) a traditional controller would encorporate a lot of the Wii-like controls (if a stylus is used) that we are accustomed to.

I'd worry how rumble would effect the screen. Honestly, it sounds exciting.

Perhaps, it has a new controller for all new games, but uses Wii controllers for BC and if devs want to use them.

Or they could put a camera into the system itself, and have it be like the eyetoy, and have the controller be traditional but have motion controls.

Either way, I'm excited. I'm sure it will have the option to use the Wii and new controllers

But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't call it Wii. new brand name is likely, especially if its true they are going after a more traditional western gamer.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Um, the touch screen in the DS costs like $10.

darth-pyschosis
Yeah, raw parts. The 3DS costs Nintendo about $100 to build, but they don't charge the consumer that. The current Wiimote probably costs no more than $10 to build as is. Seems like a silly thing to incorporate into a controller. Reminds me (in a bad way) of Sega's VMU.
Fundai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Fundai
Member since 2010 • 6120 Posts

Its probaly just a rumor... Might be alittle hard to make that work if the keep motion controls in, and it be hard to have a good formula with that anyway

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
I guess they're are ways it could be useful like for touch screen puzzles for games, but I would want like the 3DS touch screen, and just for like 3DS puzzle and like you could video chat people in game or video chat people online. I dunno, it seems a lot more useful then the back touch pad on the NGP atleast, but Nintendo's smart, they won't add anything that will add extra cost.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Seems like I'm the only one excited about this

Ever since Apple TV was revealed, i wondered about controlling on screen apps with a touch screen remote.

Add a whole controller and I'm intrigued

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

maybe its a touch screen & u have virtual buttons? idk. Also there was another rumor saying the next console has a built in projector. My wallet is scared. NGP, 3DS, new Nintendo console...idk what to do.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
The original Wii controller was thought to have a screen on it as well....rumors. These forums are as bad women sitting around talking about their husbands...
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
No I'd hate that. New console should keep Wiimote +, Nunchuk, but bundle a cIassic pad too.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Basically if it's true, Nintendo wants to compete against the touch screen of the iOS platforms. How would it work? I have no idea. I heard that some iOS games are a pain to control. I still hope it has buttons.

BTW, the next console has the ability to play Wii games so the Wiimote and Nunchuk is about to return.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17892 Posts
im sure there could be fun MP stuff implemented with people having their own screens as well as the TV. basic example offf the top of my head...cluedo. the great thing is im sure ninty can do a lot better. as i mentione in another thread i dont think the screen on a controller rumour is true....especially not HD screens. broadcasting up to 4 HD streams wirelessly from the console woul require quite a bit of wireless umph. its doable (theres a PC GPU that does it for example) and i think there is a wireless HDMI standard....but its not great. then theres the cost of doing all that. a small screen similar to that o a DS would be doable mind. i just hope ninty arent thinking "lets make our controller like an ipad". could be a hit but rubbish for gaming. but yeah there is plenty of stuff they could do with a touch screen especially on the controller...as long as it has buttons also. i dont want ipad gaming. a more advanced wiimote would be nice....but the problem there is that it already exists....the move. credit to sony the tech in that is a step up from the wiimote and nunchuck....its quite good at what it does. sure ninty could probably better it again...but why? i think ninty know that if they release a console similar in horsepower to the PS3 with something just a bit better than move then they will shoot themselves in the foot.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
how did it work on the dreamcast? (honest question, never even seen one) and while now i think it would be a stupid idea, i wouldn't doubt if nintendo made it extremely useful and popular to the point you don't want to go back.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Basically if it's true, Nintendo wants to compete against the touch screen of the iOS platforms. How would it work? I have no idea. I heard that some iOS games are a pain to control. I still hope it has buttons.

BTW, the next console has the ability to play Wii games so the Wiimote and Nunchuk is about to return.

chris3116
Source? Would be cool if true.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Its just a rumor, and I too, fail to see the purpose of a screen on the controller. Especially if the remote has motion controls, How are you going to be able to focuse on the TV screen (lets say you are playing a game... such as Wii sports resort; except for this one is for the Wii 2), and the screen on the remote while you are swinging it/ twisting it/ almost throwing it? All I see arising from that is pure confusion.

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts

chris3116
What do you mean by this? That the wiimote and nunchuck will be the primary controllers of the next system? If so, the Wii has the ability to play GC games, but the GC controller is not the primary controller of the Wii.
Kojo222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kojo222
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

how did it work on the dreamcast? (honest question, never even seen one) and while now i think it would be a stupid idea, i wouldn't doubt if nintendo made it extremely useful and popular to the point you don't want to go back.BrunoBRS
The VMU(visual memory unit, i think) was memory card that looked basically a mini-gameboy that stuck into the controller. It made faces or gave information while you were playing the game. It mostly did small stuff like showing a health gauge, and Sonic Adventure had a mini-game on it. Here's what it looked like:

And this is how it fit into the controller:

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BrunoBRS
^ seems more like something you'd see on the N64... I'll go with "won't happen".
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Think Zelda 4Swords GC/GBA thingy, sending specific/secret information to a player in MP, partially/completely gets rid of the hud as you can see stats/items on the small screen (like most DS games).

If it has touch screen capabilities as rumored by IGN, then it's going to be very interesting indeed.

It's more of an ehnacing feature, like 3D is to 3DS and not touch/IR/motion game-changing huge.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Well I don't know how true the whole thing is, sounds pretty far fetched to me, but I could see the benefit in it. Basically it could work like the bottom screen on the DS, which serves a bunch of functions. It could be an extra layer to motion controls, basically simulating finer things like finger movements, it could work as a dual analog since you would likely be able to just use your thumb. More specific examples, in a driving game it could be your rear view mirror, or like having something like the Frequency Scanner from Arkham Asylum on the controller itself to increase immersion; Its not a bad idea at all, it can serve far more functions than say a second analog stick. I just don't know how likely it is to stuff camera's and screens, gyroscopes, triggers and everything in a controller.
vgamefreak225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vgamefreak225
Member since 2010 • 270 Posts

JuarN18

Yea. It is pointless to waste $120 extra bucks for a controller with a screen on it. I mean what would you do with it.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
A touch screen actually, I can foresee some interesting uses for it, the lack of an IR pointer would be devastating though.
zazoo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zazoo5000
Member since 2005 • 215 Posts

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

vgamefreak225

Yea. It is pointless to waste $120 extra bucks for a controller with a screen on it. I mean what would you do with it.

doesnt the screen on ds only cost like 10 bucks? i think it couldnt cost more than 60 bucks for the controller. which would no doubt suck.. but i'd much rather complain about a $60 controller than a $120 one.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
A touch screen actually, I can foresee some interesting uses for it, the lack of an IR pointer would be devastating though.meetroid8
Well wasn't among the many rumors, that this thing is suppose to have a camera or something that works like the sensor bar.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#26 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

where you gettign a 150 dollar controller from , the screen wont cost much , for nintendo they get them in bulk , its much like costco , they get alot of stuff cheaper ,

also its old tech ,

the wii 2 will also have bluray player acroding to a article on vg charts which also mentions this controller ,

there wont be a expensive controller , remember this is nintendo , not sony ,

i can expect sony to do such a thing or ms, but nintendo would not , its not their nature

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="meetroid8"]A touch screen actually, I can foresee some interesting uses for it, the lack of an IR pointer would be devastating though.Sepewrath
Well wasn't among the many rumors, that this thing is suppose to have a camera or something that works like the sensor bar.

like, in the controller? that's about 2134672345834 times more inaccurate than infrared. VISIBLE LIGHT TRACKING SUCKS.
zazoo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zazoo5000
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="meetroid8"]A touch screen actually, I can foresee some interesting uses for it, the lack of an IR pointer would be devastating though.BrunoBRS

like, in the controller? that's about 2134672345834 times more inaccurate than infrared. VISIBLE LIGHT TRACKING SUCKS.

01.net says ir sensors are separate from the camera.. im just hoping this touch screen is multi-touch..
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="zazoo5000"] im just hoping this touch screen is multi-touch..

might as well make a whole new system rather than a controller.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sepewrath
im just hoping this touch screen is multi-touch..zazoo5000
You should be hoping this controller is real(which I doubt) before you start hoping for specific features lol.
zazoo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 zazoo5000

might as well make a whole new system rather than a controller.BrunoBRS

well if they use it to allocate "A" & "B" buttons or whatever.. it'd be weird if you couldn't hit more than one button at a time..

(though..it would suck in general to have touch buttons) but ya...

[QUOTE="zazoo5000"]im just hoping this touch screen is multi-touch..Sepewrath

You should be hoping this controller is real(which I doubt) before you start hoping for specific features lol.

lol.. im going on the basis ..that i can trust the simultaneous rumours provided... ign says their source confirmed it

..besides i find my fun in speculating :)..

------

on another note [and i knwo this is stupid but] what do people think about this..

what if its called project cafe becauseee: well, If the rumours about being able to stream the full game from your console on to the controller are true.. they might have expanded on that by allowing you to stream over a network instead of straight from the console.. (through cloud) which could allow you to PLAY FROM COFFEE SHOPSSS:O.. through hotspots and such? kinda ruins the the whole 3ds thing.. but ??

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#32 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

i can expect sony to do such a thing or ms, but nintendo would not , its not their nature

Nintendo currently has the most expensive controller of any console if you count it as a Wiimote + Nunchuck - and you do in most cases for full functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing again with the Wii's successor.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

[QUOTE="vgamefreak225"]

zazoo5000

doesnt the screen on ds only cost like 10 bucks?

who said they will be using the DS screen? who said they will be selling the controls without makinga profit?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="zazoo5000"][QUOTE="vgamefreak225"]

JuarN18

doesnt the screen on ds only cost like 10 bucks?

who said they will be using the DS screen? who said they will be selling the controls without makinga profit?

Exactly wouldn't speculate on anything yet since they haven't shown anything.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Nintendo currently has the most expensive controller of any console if you count it as a Wiimote + Nunchuck - and you do in most cases for full functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing again with the Wii's successor.

Not really, you cant count the nunchuk, you never noticed that a large number of the multiplayer games don't require a nunchuk?
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts
I imagine it would be like the bottom half of a DS. The touch screen and the buttons. Thats gonna cost like nothing. And think. It's Nintendo. They make it work. They always have. Doan worry no thang, baby.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts

where you gettign a 150 dollar controller from , the screen wont cost much , for nintendo they get them in bulk , its much like costco , they get alot of stuff cheaper ,

also its old tech ,

the wii 2 will also have bluray player acroding to a article on vg charts which also mentions this controller ,

mariokart64fan

It doesn't need BD. It needs BDXL if its truly gonna be next gen. Blu-Ray discs = 25GB, 50GB dual layered. Blu-Ray XL = 100-125GB, 200-250GB dual layered. These discs cost about nothing to produce as well. Maybe a dollar? The real cost would be the disc drive, which really isn't that much either.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#39 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Yeah, I don't know if I would like the idea of having a screen on the controller, as I don't know if I want to be looking down at the controller during play. Just give me a regular old controller any day. I think perhaps the big N was inspired by the Nintendo DS. It works well on that, when the game screen is 3/4 of an inch from the touch screen. But on a regular system, no. In fact, for all systems, I'm hoping motion control is a fad that will pass. I prefer a regular controller over motion control any day.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

A touch screen actually, I can foresee some interesting uses for it, the lack of an IR pointer would be devastating though.meetroid8

Yeah, if I can't point at the screen, I'm going to be pretty upset.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sepewrath

Yeah, I don't know if I would like the idea of having a screen on the controller, as I don't know if I want to be looking down at the controller during play. Just give me a regular old controller any day. I think perhaps the big N was inspired by the Nintendo DS. It works well on that, when the game screen is 3/4 of an inch from the touch screen. But on a regular system, no. In fact, for all systems, I'm hoping motion control is a fad that will pass. I prefer a regular controller over motion control any day.

MathMattS

Why would you look down? Even if this were true, they wouldn't make it so that you have to always have eyes on the controller, that wouldn't make sense. And your probably going to have to get use to the whole motion controls and such thing, gaming is going to more and more become about immersion and standard controls aren't going to survive that.

Avatar image for MicrosoftISdumb
MicrosoftISdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MicrosoftISdumb
Member since 2005 • 1959 Posts

I've read the posts here and I don't think anyone answered the Topic's question :P

I wrote the following in another thread on GS, here's a couple examples:

I've had this screen controller concept for so many years now. The biggest reason why I wanted it is for the following concept: Back in the day, when Madden was amazing, there was a huge problem with LAN multiplayer. Your opponent could see exactly what play you were picking, all you had to do was glance over at the other half of the screen. Now there was a button combo you could press to trick your opponent into thinking you picked that play, but to be honest most (casual) people never knew about it or just didn't want to hassle with it. So with a controller like this, it is GREAT for a game like Maddem where now you can pick your play in complete secrecy! I fricken love this controller idea. I always wanted this to happen! Now they can get rid of (for the most part) hubs on screen, and place those objects on the controller screen. Selecting weapons, health bars, etc..MicrosoftISdumb

Oh and this is past a rumor now. IGN pretty much came out and confirmed it 100%. They have great sources, this is real guys (the controller that they show is a MOCK-UP of what they THINK it could look like... it won't look like that though, I can guarantee you that.): http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1162204p1.html

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

Amongst all these awesome wii2 rumors, there's been talk of a controler redesign. I for one really like the wiimote and hope they don't go back to arcaic tradtional controls. That said, some of the rumors have mentioned the new controller having a screen. Wut 4? Really, I got no idea.

goblaa
Neither do I. If they get rid of my pointer controls I'm going with something else.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

I've read the posts here and I don't think anyone answered the Topic's question :P

I wrote the following in another thread on GS, here's a couple examples:

[QUOTE="MicrosoftISdumb"]I've had this screen controller concept for so many years now. The biggest reason why I wanted it is for the following concept: Back in the day, when Madden was amazing, there was a huge problem with LAN multiplayer. Your opponent could see exactly what play you were picking, all you had to do was glance over at the other half of the screen. Now there was a button combo you could press to trick your opponent into thinking you picked that play, but to be honest most (casual) people never knew about it or just didn't want to hassle with it. So with a controller like this, it is GREAT for a game like Maddem where now you can pick your play in complete secrecy! I fricken love this controller idea. I always wanted this to happen! Now they can get rid of (for the most part) hubs on screen, and place those objects on the controller screen. Selecting weapons, health bars, etc..MicrosoftISdumb

Oh and this is past a rumor now. IGN pretty much came out and confirmed it 100%. They have great sources, this is real guys (the controller that they show is a MOCK-UP of what they THINK it could look like... it won't look like that though, I can guarantee you that.): http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1162204p1.html

Ughh. The only reason I got a Wii in the first place was so I didn't have to deal with dual analog controllers. Now they're bringing them back?