I don't buy all this Nintendo doom and gloom.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

Yes, I've read many of the articles, took a look at the sales projected forecast and sales, and so forth and so on.

*Flame shield activated!!*

Now what I'm about to say is my opinion only, but Nintendo will be around....oh say....even 10 years from now at the very least.

This this is just not the rejectionist in me talking. I really believe that they'll be around for a long time. If not, then I'll make a company called Nentendo and start making similar games. Oh and BTW I don't like internet doom and gloom articles too much. No proof = we've heard it before.

Peace out.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#2 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Honesty the whole "Nintendo is doomed" thing has been going on since the N64 and they're still here. They survived the disaster of the Virtual Boy, they survived the Gamecube. We also seem to forget that the 3DS is doing great. Also GenGame did this excellent article that talks about Profitability as a whole and is actually well done.

http://www.gengame.net/2014/01/gengame-daily-001-profitability-matters/

Funny how most gaming sites don't look at the big picture like this. Sony lost a lot with the PS3, PSP and Vita. Microsoft can't sell consoles outside of English speaking countries and is using Android profits to cover the constant loses of the Xbox, yet no one's crying "DOOMED" over that. Hell there were stories earlier this year about corporate shakeups at MS where the gaming division was collapsed into the entertainment division, they've gone through 3 CEOs this year and their investors have talked about sellng off he Xbox brand.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/techflash/2013/08/long-time-microsoft-analyst-predicts.html?page=2

ValueAct will likely call on Microsoft to make some big changes. Sherlund – who is likely well-sourced on this – believes ValueAct will suggest Microsoft sell off Xbox to another tech company.

“Xbox is cool,” Sherlund wrote, “but by our estimates Microsoft has not made money at this.”

And for shareholders, that’s an important point. For activist shareholders, it’s a sticking point.

Show that to the Xbox fanboys and watch them have a meltdown.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I do agree that people are exaggerating about Nintendo's current situation. The Wii U is doing very poorly, but they have billions stored somewhere, no where near bankrupt. One bad console is not going to kill them, especially since the 3DS is still going strong. It's safe to expect a new console and handheld from them in the future.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I just ignore it. I've been hearing it for the most part of my life. I started playing on the NES, and ever since Mid-64 era, all of my friends were against Nintendo. Then, going online, I hear the same kind of hate speech. "Nintendo is doomed" - I just ignore it - I know Nintendo will be here in the near future releasing awesome games.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kbaily

@trugs26: I agree with trugs26. If you're enjoying your WiiU, then the best thing to do is ignore and maybe even distance yourself from the negativity. I myself just downloaded Earthbound and Mega Man X from the Eshop and plan to enjoy them. In a couple days hopefully this will pass, some new story will pop up and everyone will focus on that. Hey maybe Ana Sarkesian will release another video to divert attention or we'll hear about another Xbox One smoking or seeping out fluids or EA will pull another scumbag move.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

While I love Nintendo and their franchises, I think that they've dropped the ball multiple times over the past few years. Not pushing online play, playing catch-up with hardware, horrible advertising, basing a handheld/console on gimmicks, etc, etc. Are they doomed? No, far from it, but I wouldn't consider them dominant anymore.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

Maybe this NintenDOOM will die down a bit if Nintendo makes, say, their own advanced tablet?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@TransformerRobo said:

Maybe this NintenDOOM will die down a bit if Nintendo makes, say, their own advanced tablet?

No, tablet gaming sux...NintenDOOM will happen every gen, much like the prediction of the world will end every year. :p

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Nintendo has enough money to never make a penny again and literally throw away $257 million each and every year, they would last till 2052 and then selling buildings and stocks and technology they would last till 2075. Nintendo is in a situation where they have all this money so even while they are screwing up they can afford to ignore the situation and keep screwing up. Nintendo wont be going anywhere for 61 years at least FACT. The problem is Nintendo is stubborn as hell and wont fix their problems easily cause they don't see them being a major issue to the company. Wii U could sell 1 console a year and they would be like meh everything's fine. Iwata claims he wants to get back on track but the only way that will happen is if Nintendo starts listening to the fans again like they used to, which means give us what we want, party chat on Wii U, Metroid on 3DS and Wii U, Starfox and F-Zero on Wii U so forth and so on. Let Mario have a break for 3 years or so. Fire the admins on Miiverse and put in a MODERATOR SYSTEM. I am sick of getting banned by kids impersonating me and claiming to be the real me. I want Nintendo to get back on track but it wont be easy. So while Nintendo is not doomed, and they never really will be, as a company they are severely damaged right now...

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kbaily

I want to ask everyone, as Nintendo fans, when was the last time you didn't feel like you had to defend yourself for liking, well any Nintendo console or game?

If you liked the N64, you were accused of liking a "kiddie" system with outdated carts.

If you liked the Gamecube, once again you were accused of liking a "kiddie" system with no DVD or online play.

If you liked the Wii, then you were a "filthy casual" who was swayed by gimmicks and was going to bring forth the downfall of gaming.

Heck if internet gaming communities exisited during the SNES/Genesis days, I wonder what it would've been like. At least gamers could argue over the systems games as opposed to which one ran in 1080p.

At times the internet gaming culture can be a vile place, hence why I had been so dormant from GS for a while. As I said in my blog (which those lovely mods decided to lock) one the main reason, I stopped being so active is simply because you're made to feel ashamed about things you like. It seems like gamers spend more time on forums arguing then actually playing games. It's a lot like peer pressure at school. Where you feel like if you don't conform to the thing everyone likes, then you're a weirdo and everyone gets to mock you. I hate seeing so many loyal Nintendo fans, who up until now, were happy as could be playing Mario 3D World, downloading Eshop games, getting pumped for Smash and MK8. Then Nintendo does what lots of companies do all the time and of course the internet gaming community who have been begging for Nintendo to go away for years (no idea why) start singing about how "Nintendo is doomed!!" I've known the "outcast" feeling for years, I'm a Sonic fan and if you're over the age of 12 now and like Sonic, people immediately assume you're some furrie.

I would love to travel back to 1999 and talk to Dreamcast owners/Sega fans when the news started breaking about Sega's loses in the console market. I wonder if they immediately took their Dreamcasts back to the store or decided to keep them and just enjoy their games. Then again, back then the internet was still a different beast.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11  Edited By haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

It is extremely over exaggerated. It's especially funny considering how much Sony and Microsoft have goofed up for much longer than Nintendo has. I don't want to turn this into system wars but especially compared to their competitors, they're in a pretty good position still.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#12 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

it surprises me to be honest, look at other platforms like vita , where the heck is their doom threads , yet i see day in day out wiiu doom threads both here and vgchartz , im tired of repeting the same thing ive been saying over and over and that is , nintendo is not going no where anytime soon , they will ride out what ever the wiiu does and still be around for another go if there is another go ,

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kbaily

@mariokart64fan: Speaking of the Vita, there was an article on GS where Sony blamed smartphones and tablets for poor Vita sales, given that the Vita's non gaming features are the same as a smartphone meaning if there isn't compelling software that people want to buy, then you see it's problem. But I see the whole cross play with PS4 as Sony's last ditch attempt to keep the Vita relevant but don't hold your breath for the Vita 2. But yeah it's funny you don't hear the same doom and gloom over the Vita's lousy sales. Then again when you look at console wars, there are those that say "handhelds don't count." Why? I don't know. It seems like when Nintendo has a piece of hardware that's in the lead, they suddenly "don't count." Remember when the Wii was dominating the sales charts, the hardcore community looked at the sales figures and said "well the Wii doesn't count. It's just a gimmick toy. The real battle is between the PS3 and 360." I remember when the PSP first went up against the DS and all this talk of handheld wars, then when the DS branched out with stuff like Nintendogs, Brain Age and NSMB, and started beating the PSP in sales, suddenly no one wanted to talk about the handheld space.

Mark my word, if the WiiU was outselling the competition, the game sites would say "well the WiiU doesn't count because we say so."

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#16  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

I think the big three have had their fair share of sales predictions and predictions on faiure.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@kbaily said:

I would love to travel back to 1999 and talk to Dreamcast owners/Sega fans when the news started breaking about Sega's loses in the console market. I wonder if they immediately took their Dreamcasts back to the store or decided to keep them and just enjoy their games. Then again, back then the internet was still a different beast.

That's the year I joined Gamespot. Most people here saw the writing on the wall for Sega, though there were a few vocal holdouts.

But back then, even the ones who knew the Dreamcast was in big trouble still owned one and loved the games. You had to be a pretty huge gamer to be posting on internet forums, especially one so strict as to require your real name to post under.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Nintendo is not immune from failure. The company has deep rooted issues that have plagued them since the N64 days, as well as other long term issues that started with Wii and DS. No amount of gimmicks will ever fix these base problems, successful or not. Successful gimmicks like Wii and DS can only buy them time. Still, it's true that complete failure is far from likely anytime soon due to another deep rooted idea in the company : their ability to adapt. It's why they've been around for more than a century.

There's only one way this generation can continue, and that is the Wii U seeing gamecube like support more or less until the end, whether that's 2016 or afterwards (most likely 2017). Which up until that point, they will continue to steadily lose money. The only thing they can do now is mitigate these losses as best they can. I still like and might end up loving the Wii U, tablet or no tablet, though. I'm content with the console right now, BARELY.

Now, the interesting part about all this is it forces Nintendo to make a drastic change in one way or another next generation. They can do any of these things :

A. They can address (or attempt as best they can) the aforementioned issues that have plagued them since the N64 era, by bringing their 3rd party policies up to speed with the rest of the industry and try to get as much support as possible. (However, this mostly concerns big 3rd party developers as Nintendo is currently doing a fantastic jobs with smaller independent developers, and that's one of the great things they're doing with Wii U and 3ds.) As well as having affordable, competent hardware that isn't plagued by stupid short sighted decisions. They need to get competitive with technology again, not that they have to make monsters though. Just *competitive*, modern hardware. Iwata's (formerly Yamauchi's) thinking of not competing at all costs is the heart of all their problems.

B. Bank their money on another radical (possibly useful) gimmick while ignoring the core issues above, or at least making the gimmick top priority and seeing the core issues not get resolved anywhere near how they should be. They could very well do this because they are so stubborn and inward looking, but part of the reason I think this thinking may be changing is because of how much pain they're having adapting to new game development techniques (HD) and the issues they're having with their online service. Wii U could be an unintentional testing ground so they can get back on track with the rest of the industry next generation.

C. Both? Maybe they can think of an actually useful gimmick, or just radically improve the Wii mote like they already should've done in addition to fixing everything else. The Wii mote's IR pointer is integral for a lot of games, and so could the motion controls be if they advance them and the ergonomics a lot more.

Everything i've said also apply's to their handheld's, but since they always seem to be successful to some degree no matter what, I focused on the home console. Plus I haven't cared about gaming handhelds since the GBA, but you get the idea. Vita looks like a fantastic piece of hardware, without the games to go along with it. It's the opposite for 3ds.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

Nintendo has enough money to never make a penny again and literally throw away $257 million each and every year, they would last till 2052 and then selling buildings and stocks and technology they would last till 2075. Nintendo is in a situation where they have all this money so even while they are screwing up they can afford to ignore the situation and keep screwing up. Nintendo wont be going anywhere for 61 years at least FACT. The problem is Nintendo is stubborn as hell and wont fix their problems easily cause they don't see them being a major issue to the company. Wii U could sell 1 console a year and they would be like meh everything's fine. Iwata claims he wants to get back on track but the only way that will happen is if Nintendo starts listening to the fans again like they used to, which means give us what we want, party chat on Wii U, Metroid on 3DS and Wii U, Starfox and F-Zero on Wii U so forth and so on. Let Mario have a break for 3 years or so. Fire the admins on Miiverse and put in a MODERATOR SYSTEM. I am sick of getting banned by kids impersonating me and claiming to be the real me. I want Nintendo to get back on track but it wont be easy. So while Nintendo is not doomed, and they never really will be, as a company they are severely damaged right now...

@Master_Of_Fools

Unfortunately, shareholders (the owners of Nintendo) would not take kindly to this scenario. While I know you are using exaggeration to prove a point, it is misleading. Just because Nintendo has these assets does not mean the company would be around for that long.

I agree that N is not doomed by any means, but situations like these may require some internal shake up. It's never bad for a company to reevaluate its strategy and decide if there are other avenues in which it can leverage its core competencies to generate earnings for shareholders. Certainly, an overhaul is not necessary, but a successful business strategy is fluid.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kbaily

I was also talking elsewhere with someone who was well versed in business and the main reason for Nintendo's drastic prediction drops is to avoid a worse situation. They could've stayed at the 9 million prediction mark but if they didn't meet that, then shareholders and investors could in fact sue them so basically it was lower predictions and deal with backlash now or don't and have a much worse problem later on.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

People have to realize that no company just has money sitting in the bank. It is always being invested in new projects. Do you honestly believe that Nintendo just has money stashed away for a financial crisis? No. The company has to invest it in order to keep making games. This is why games come of every year on a given platform. The Wii U doing poorly is hurting Nintendo. Will Nintendo go the way of Sega? No. Will the Vita go down? Probably not. The Vita might have a small userbase, but the attachment rate as far as games are concerned is pretty. Might bet is that most software sales are coming from the digital space. Right now, NIntendo is in a Gamecube like situation. Games like Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, and Mario Bros did not draw enough people in. Smash Bros and Mario Kart will definitely entice people to buy the system. Then again, Smash Bros is also coming out on the 3DS as well. People could end purchasing a 3DS for Smash Bros.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

@kbaily: I am not sure if you are confused or misinformed but Android belongs to Google, not Microsoft and Microsoft has had the same CEO, Steve Balmer, since 2000, although he is leaving this year. The Xbox makes up such a tiny portion of Microsoft. The Xbox could fail miserably and it won't have that big of an effect on Microsoft overall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

@Master_Of_Fools: "Nintendo is not going anywhere for 61 years" is not a fact. That is your opinion. Yes, Nintendo has a large reserve of assets, but that doesn't ensure their future for 61 years or even ten years. Nintnedo lost a billion dollars of it's stock value yesterday and if you know anything about stocks (and lets face it, just about no one on Gamespot does) you would know that the stock value of the company is higher than the actual value of Nintendo's assets. As of right now, Nintendo's stock price is 21.3 times more than the amount of money Nintendo actually brings in (that is revenue, not profit) and is 1.7 times higher than the value of all of Nintendo's assets. That small of a ratio shows just how little faith investors have in Nintendo (In business it is called Goodwill). Microsoft is currently trading for 3.84 times the value of its assets, Apple is trading for 3.94 times the value, Google is trading for a whopping 5.29 times its value, and Sony is in big trouble at 0.74 times the value of its assets. That 0.74 price to book ratio is why Sony is always on the edge of bankruptcy. The Playstation is the only thing Sony does that is successful and they are failing in everything else. Nintendo is on the edge whether you want to believe it or not. Trust me, Nintendo will sell themselves off before they start throwing away their 10 billion in cash and cash equivalents. Major stock holders, who do have voting options, won't stand for it and it would just be plain stupid.

Yes the 3DS is successful, but its slowing down. It probably won't reach the level the DS reached. Nintendo will have to decide if creating a new handheld will be worth the risk of competing with the likes of smartphone that are consuming more and more of the market each year. What level of risk and what level of market share is Nintendo willing to accept. There may be a new handheld in the future there may not be.

All in all, it is not likely that Nintendo can continue on its current course for more than a handful of years.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@kbaily said:

I want to ask everyone, as Nintendo fans, when was the last time you didn't feel like you had to defend yourself for liking, well any Nintendo console or game?

If you liked the N64, you were accused of liking a "kiddie" system with outdated carts.

If you liked the Gamecube, once again you were accused of liking a "kiddie" system with no DVD or online play.

If you liked the Wii, then you were a "filthy casual" who was swayed by gimmicks and was going to bring forth the downfall of gaming.

Heck if internet gaming communities exisited during the SNES/Genesis days, I wonder what it would've been like. At least gamers could argue over the systems games as opposed to which one ran in 1080p.

At times the internet gaming culture can be a vile place, hence why I had been so dormant from GS for a while. As I said in my blog (which those lovely mods decided to lock) one the main reason, I stopped being so active is simply because you're made to feel ashamed about things you like. It seems like gamers spend more time on forums arguing then actually playing games. It's a lot like peer pressure at school. Where you feel like if you don't conform to the thing everyone likes, then you're a weirdo and everyone gets to mock you. I hate seeing so many loyal Nintendo fans, who up until now, were happy as could be playing Mario 3D World, downloading Eshop games, getting pumped for Smash and MK8. Then Nintendo does what lots of companies do all the time and of course the internet gaming community who have been begging for Nintendo to go away for years (no idea why) start singing about how "Nintendo is doomed!!" I've known the "outcast" feeling for years, I'm a Sonic fan and if you're over the age of 12 now and like Sonic, people immediately assume you're some furrie.

i was not defending until the gamecube/wii...

after that the internet got popular and that when the hate poured in.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

10 billion in the bank. 10. billion.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

@stizzal13: Wasn't exaggerating...

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master_Of_Fools

@am_h8ter_ade: http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@stizzal13: Wasn't exaggerating...

Well then, you may want to rethink your previous post.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kbaily

The more you look at things and think about the situation, a lot of these Nintendo doom and gloom articles are click bait. It's a slow time right now. The holidays are over and there's no big releases for a couple months. All the GOTY awards are done. There's nothing else to really talk about with the Xbox One and PS4 as their in the hands of the consumers and it's not like there's a ton of killer software on those to talk about and websites want to generate traffic. So when this announcement came all the gaming sites (which love to find any reason to spell doom for Nintendo) were thrilled as they could write all these "Death of Nintendo" articles to generate site traffic.

I'm going to sound like an old nostalgic gamer here but I liked gaming better in the days when gaming magazines were the main media outlet. Since magazines only came out once a month, they had to focus more on reviews and previews and didn't have time for puff pieces, or ridiculous attempts at business articles. I do find it funny that in recent years, it seems like everyone now thinks they can analyze the business of video games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

@Master_Of_Fools: You want to reference some BS article by some nobody. What expertise does this Matt Cundy have that makes him an authority? Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Do you not even begin to consider the source material. How about this for a fact, 4 years ago Nintendo had almost 15 billion in the bank. Now they have 10. At that pace they will be broke in eight years. Also since 2009, when Nintendo's stock was at its peak, it has lost more than 60% of its value since then.

Look, I understand that the cost of a quality education has gone through the roof, but it is still a fine investment. With a quality education you can analyze the facts and form a well informed opinion rather than believe everything some dumb ass writes on the internet.

Saying Nintendo has 10 billion in the bank so they are in no way in doomed or in trouble is such a narrow minded view. That is completely taking a fact out of the context of the big picture. There is no consideration for financial trends, changes in the market, changes in the cost of doing business, and the many other factors that can determine the overall health of a business.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@am_h8ter_ade said:

@Master_Of_Fools: You want to reference some BS article by some nobody. What expertise does this Matt Cundy have that makes him an authority? Do you believe everything you read on the internet? Do you not even begin to consider the source material. How about this for a fact, 4 years ago Nintendo had almost 15 billion in the bank. Now they have 10. At that pace they will be broke in eight years. Also since 2009, when Nintendo's stock was at its peak, it has lost more than 60% of its value since then.

Look, I understand that the cost of a quality education has gone through the roof, but it is still a fine investment. With a quality education you can analyze the facts and form a well informed opinion rather than believe everything some dumb ass writes on the internet.

Saying Nintendo has 10 billion in the bank so they are in no way in doomed or in trouble is such a narrow minded view. That is completely taking a fact out of the context of the big picture. There is no consideration for financial trends, changes in the market, changes in the cost of doing business, and the many other factors that can determine the overall health of a business.

And while a quality education might be great, being polite and respectful toward others and not talking down to them can sure go a long ways as well...

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

I think most of us are missing how big a factor China could be this generation. They have opened their doors to video games now, but there is no way that they will allow games like COD, Battlefield, or GTA. They should have no problem allowing any Mario game, Smash Bros, Wonderful 101, Pikmin, or any number of Wii U or 3Ds games.

Nintendo could yet be the big winner this gen without even being popular in the West.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

@mrfokken: This is true. China could have a huge impact on Nintendo's fortune. I am not sure just what the extent of China's relaxed laws will have, but China is a huge market.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Nintendo isn't going anywhere. It has been written many times on the internet that Nintendo operates like a toy company rather than a hardware one. If the Wii U fails they will simply absorb the loss and try experimenting with something else.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@am_h8ter_ade: I'm sorry this is a mistake,Chinese gamers are not the type of people Nintendo is aiming at,fact is that they have their own. They allegedly ripped the name and transformed the "nin" to "Chin" .I once bought this at the price of a flea in a bottle. Never say yes to Chintendo,it ain't worth the taste,take your time with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwC3V05uh7w to prove that console gaming there is the real Challengers' Deep

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

I think the big difference between now and all the times we've heard Nintendo is doomed before is that Nintendo hasn't made any money for three years running, which is a scary thing to hear for the future of a company people love. I don't think they're going anywhere, at least not any time soon.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

This is not the typical "Nintendo is doomed" cycle. They have lost 2.4 billion......BILLION....in capital since '11. This is their third consecutive annual loss. They just slashed the Wii U sales forecast by 70%, the 3DS is not doing nearly as well as needed (especially concerning considering the incredible software available for it), and have just posted another 230 million loss.

And the reason for the above? Because they are out of touch, stubborn, arrogant, stuck in the past, ignorant of industry trends and their entire philosophy and business strategy is antiquated. They have adamantly refused to adapt over the years. Their CEO is a passive wimp who doesn't compete who has filled the board of directors with his yes men.

TC, you say, "no proof=we've heard it all before". Well what proof, exactly, do you require?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MirkoS77

@am_h8ter_ade said:

@Master_Of_Fools:

So true. People are not grasping the bigger picture here and it amazes me that they believe Nintendo's recovery can be so simple. There are many factors that are coming to a head for them.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4189 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

This is not the typical "Nintendo is doomed" cycle. They have lost 2.4 billion......BILLION....in capital since '11. This is their third consecutive annual loss. They just slashed the Wii U sales forecast by 70%, the 3DS is not doing nearly as well as needed (especially concerning considering the incredible software available for it), and have just posted another 230 million loss.

And the reason for the above? Because they are out of touch, stubborn, arrogant, stuck in the past, ignorant of industry trends and their entire philosophy and business strategy is antiquated. They have adamantly refused to adapt over the years. Their CEO is a passive wimp who doesn't compete who has filled the board of directors with his yes men.

TC, you say, "no proof=we've heard it all before". Well what proof, exactly, do you require?

Well, how about when (and I doubt that) they go out of business? That should be proof enough for me.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I like the WiiU and its games. I like Nintendo. I dont care about third party ports or multiplatform games on a Nintendo system. I want quality first party and 3rd party exclusives. We have Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 is coming sooner or later. Pikmin 3 and all the Mario games have been great. Zelda WW HD was very nice. I will get loads of mileage out of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is looking great and its due out very soon. I am really enjoying the Wii Sport Club games and i had some fun with the Art Acadamy. I am happy. But i am also sad that Nintendo seems to be sitting on its butt and should be doing A LOT MORE.

They just dont seem to care anymore and it shows. They have plenty of money and seem to be coasting on this generation with as little effort as possible. They wont go broke or go away. But they have lost their way.

phanstar330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 phanstar330
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts

People miss the point with Nintendo. I agree the Wii U is not going well for them, but I don't think they are in ruin. Most of the people speaking down about Nintendo are looking at it from the wrong perspective. They are looking at it from the "Gamer perpsective" Young adult males who love their GTA, and FPS, and teabagging and all the fun stuff we gamers do. The thing is Nintendo has a VERY strong young fan base, and are a trusted family oriented company that parents are ok with. They HAVE to hold on to that reputation. Their empire depends on it. Honestly after having turned on Miiverse in my games I kind of wonder why people want online play with their Nintendo games. I prefer my Mario without every ones random cusswords and innuendo thanks. I can't count how much profanity I have seen cleverly snuck on to Miiverse. Those people posting that stuff are the same ones screaming "Why can't Nintendo just get rid of friend codes and embrace a real online play system" and they are the ones ruining it for everyone. Nintendo can't have that stuff coming on screen or across speakers when mom walks through the living room and her 8 year old is playing Pokemon. So my advice is for all the 20 something gamers out there, start to appreciate Nintendo for what it is. Enjoy your Xbox one or PS4, and play your COD and GTA on that system. But if you really are a hardcore gamer, then get a Nintendo console, even if just for the 1st party games. I mean honestly their consoles are priced in such a way that buying a Wii U just to play first party titles like NSMBWU, SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, SSB, and anything else that comes out is totally worth it.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I just got the Wii U, so far so good... I actually love the tech in it as long as it keeps functioning! I've only played it for a couple of hours so I don't know if it overheats yet. They need games, Sony... my PS4 needs games. I'll support Japan because I hate Microsoft agenda, PC shooter... military brainwashing. All games aren't games anymore, they aren't stories, they are CAMPAIGNS. What's next Mario campaign? Parasite Eve 4 campaign? it's stupid, it's not about gaming and stories, characters anymore it's about shooting nonstop and mindless militaristic drivel. I hope Sony goes back to real games, and Nintendo should stay their course and make games not campaigns.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MirkoS77

@phanstar330 said:

People miss the point with Nintendo. I agree the Wii U is not going well for them, but I don't think they are in ruin. Most of the people speaking down about Nintendo are looking at it from the wrong perspective. They are looking at it from the "Gamer perpsective" Young adult males who love their GTA, and FPS, and teabagging and all the fun stuff we gamers do. The thing is Nintendo has a VERY strong young fan base, and are a trusted family oriented company that parents are ok with. They HAVE to hold on to that reputation. Their empire depends on it. Honestly after having turned on Miiverse in my games I kind of wonder why people want online play with their Nintendo games. I prefer my Mario without every ones random cusswords and innuendo thanks. I can't count how much profanity I have seen cleverly snuck on to Miiverse.

Those people posting that stuff are the same ones screaming "Why can't Nintendo just get rid of friend codes and embrace a real online play system" and they are the ones ruining it for everyone. Nintendo can't have that stuff coming on screen or across speakers when mom walks through the living room and her 8 year old is playing Pokemon. So my advice is for all the 20 something gamers out there, start to appreciate Nintendo for what it is. Enjoy your Xbox one or PS4, and play your COD and GTA on that system. But if you really are a hardcore gamer, then get a Nintendo console, even if just for the 1st party games. I mean honestly their consoles are priced in such a way that buying a Wii U just to play first party titles like NSMBWU, SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, SSB, and anything else that comes out is totally worth it.

I don't think people are missing anything.

The fact of the matter is, this young audience you speak of is minimal compared to the 18-35 year old demographic that comprises much of the gaming market nowadays. This is where the money's at, and this is an audience that Nintendo has continually failed to acknowledge and cater to. I'm sorry to say, but if Nintendo holds onto this "young/family oriented" demographic at the expense of everything else, it will cost them dearly as we are beginning to see. They need to ask themselves how dear they hold onto their values, because apparently many of the values they do hold are showing to be incompatible with today's market.

I disagree with you, Nintendo needs to stop being a babysitter. The PARENTS are the ones that need to restrict their child from the online environment, not have big brother Nintendo ruin it for everyone else that is polite and only wishes to have a good time with their friends. And the juvenile assholes that are found on CoD are simply a reality Nintendo is going to have to come to accept in the online age, and it should not preclude them from introducing mandatory online into their games, something that has become a staple in the industry years ago. Mario 3DW was designed as a multiplayer Mario, and to make it possible to play only local multi was a huge mistake. It's simply not practical for many people in this day and age to gather around the TV. They already ARE doing online in games (Mario Kart), so your position is not consistent.

And their console, for what it offers, is FAR overpriced. Lacking power, sub par online, an awful virtual console, anti-consumer practices such as no unified account system, overpriced digital offerings, a sluggish OS, cheap choices on the HDD and hardware components, no risks on software. They're insane asking what they are for the U.