How's your experience in playing DS games on 3DS XL?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bqefhpasdgpihw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bqefhpasdgpihw
Member since 2006 • 205 Posts

Is it better than on DS? The reason I'm asking is that I can't find many interesting 3DS games, but there are many good DS games out there. Please let me know how you feel, thanks!

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I dislike the 3DS controls while playing DS games. The D-PAD sucks compared to the DS Lite

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

I dislike the 3DS controls while playing DS games. The D-PAD sucks compared to the DS Lite

gameofthering

:lol: wat? the only thing bad about the D pad is maybe its position. But screen wise the game look better.

wiicube64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiicube64
Member since 2007 • 371 Posts

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

Jonwh18

:lol: wat? the only thing bad about the D pad is maybe its position. But screen wise the game look better.

No. This is honestly false. The 3DS line in general does a poor job of representing the visuals of DS games. The colors are INCREDIBLY washed out. However, I wouldn't say it's unpleasant playing DS games on a 3DS or a 3DS XL as the control is just as good...unless you're playing on an original 3DS...all the buttons on that thing suck.
TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts

i thought about that too before buying my 3DS XL and i it was the best decision to buy that thing, who can refuse to a bigger screen? not me

the 3DS XL buttons stick better to your fingers so its easier to play, with the original 3DS my fingers began to slip after being playing for some time

as for the resolution, well the screen is bigger but the res is not betetr so you end seeing some razor edges but thats all, a bigger screen its always better

PD: the speakers really suck on the 3DS XL so get a pair of earphones

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

wiicube64

No. This is honestly false. The 3DS line in general does a poor job of representing the visuals of DS games. The colors are INCREDIBLY washed out. However, I wouldn't say it's unpleasant playing DS games on a 3DS or a 3DS XL as the control is just as good...unless you're playing on an original 3DS...all the buttons on that thing suck.

It's a launch 3DS I've got.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
The res is stretched so it's a bit blurry, and since d-pad is in the wrong place, I use analog, which isn't the best way of playing a DS game. It's not bad, but it's not the best way. I mostly find this issues only because I play two Pokemon games side by side so the problem is easier to recognize.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

wiicube64

do you have that power saver thing on? It makes a huge differance colors......

I do find myself using my Ds lite, but its not for reasons anyone has rbought up yet. My XL has become my home system. And I use my lite on the go. MUCH better battery life and size. I am frequently on the go so I grab my lite over my XL for the convienice factor.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I don't mind it at all. The visual quality may not be the same as the ds but it's a good experience. You really have to nit pick it to make yourslef not like it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

3DSXL is much better for the DS games than the regular 3DS.... bigger screen that looks much less "grainy" less blurry..

and the dpad is much more comfortable to use.

RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RasAlgethi28
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

How about gba games? Are the graphics streched out on the 3DS XL?

TIGERLIONX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TIGERLIONX
Member since 2004 • 914 Posts

RasAlgethi28

sadly, you cant play gba games on the 3ds

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

If I comprare the 3 devices I have, it looks like this:

3DS XL > DS lite >>>>>> 3DS original

RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RasAlgethi28

[QUOTE="RasAlgethi28"]

TIGERLIONX

So there's no gba games on the nintendo store? :( I was looking forward to it that's why I want to buy a 3DS.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

[QUOTE="TIGERLIONX"]

[QUOTE="RasAlgethi28"]

RasAlgethi28

So there's no gba games on the nintendo store? :( I was looking forward to it that's why I want to buy a 3DS.

Presumably there will be. Ambassadors (people who bought the 3DS for $250) got a few GBA games for free. They look pretty good on my 3DS.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
couldnt afford the pikachu one :(
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#17 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="RasAlgethi28"]

[QUOTE="TIGERLIONX"]

scoots9

Presumably there will be. Ambassadors (people who bought the 3DS for $250) got a few GBA games for free. They look pretty good on my 3DS.

They have said specifically that they have no plans to release the GBA ambassador games to the general public. I have no idea if that means they really won't of they just don't wanna say when. I am hoping those and much, much more will be released personally but who can say?

As far as DS games on XL. They look awesome to me and if you are a real stickler the native resolution mode is now about the same size as an original DS screen. Controlls are more comfortable for me too, esp. the d-dpad. I actually got an original 3DS before I ever had a DS but played some DS games on it. After hearing people here complain about how bad DS games looked on 3DS, I went ahead and bought a DS too. Now, I don't regret buying my DS for any reason but from my standpoint, the games really don't look any better on it at all when you are actually playing them.

The only thing a DS has on the XL, in my opinion, is battery life. The battery life on those things is ridiculous!

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="scoots9"]

[QUOTE="RasAlgethi28"]

logicalfrank

They have said specifically that they have no plans to release the GBA ambassador games to the general public. I have no idea if that means they really won't of they just don't wanna say when. I am hoping those and much, much more will be released personally but who can say?

As far as DS games on XL. They look awesome to me and if you are a real stickler the native resolution mode is now about the same size as an original DS screen. Controlls are more comfortable for me too, esp. the d-dpad. I actually got an original 3DS before I ever had a DS but played some DS games on it. After hearing people here complain about how bad DS games looked on 3DS, I went ahead and bought a DS too. Now, I don't regret buying my DS for any reason but from my standpoint, the games really don't look any better on it at all when you are actually playing them.

The only thing a DS has on the XL, in my opinion, is battery life. The battery life on those things is ridiculous!

and size.

RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RasAlgethi28

Oh darn. I was hoping I could use a 3DS to play gba games. :(

Nophoria88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Nophoria88
Member since 2010 • 410 Posts

Oh darn. I was hoping I could use a 3DS to play gba games. :(

RasAlgethi28
Well after the lite models the DS even stopped playing GBA games, you're lucky the 3DS is fully backwards compatible with the DS.
darkus_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkus_f
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

3DSXL is much better for the DS games than the regular 3DS.... bigger screen that looks much less "grainy" less blurry..

KBFloYd
this... I don't mind the stretch, it looks better to me actually, but for those that really want that crisp you can use the original DS resolution mode (or whatever it's called, by holding START before starting a game) and it will look just perfect. on the original 3DS it looked too small. I really recommend an XL if you still have loads of DS games.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

darkus_f

this... I don't mind the stretch, it looks better to me actually, but for those that really want that crisp you can use the original DS resolution mode (or whatever it's called, by holding START before starting a game) and it will look just perfect. on the original 3DS it looked too small. I really recommend an XL if you still have loads of DS games.

I really don't understand how people can complain about the visuals being more pixaled and jaggy at all really. We're talking about the DS here. The games were pretty pixelated and jaggie filled to begin with. Being a little mroe pixelated isn't going to hurt, especailly with the boost in screen real estate.

RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RasAlgethi28

Alright i'm still going to pick up a 3DS XL this christmas. Fire Emblem on february!

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
Some are fine, I think the Zelda games look good. Then you have Pokemon, I still have my DSi to play those...I just cant stand it them on the 3DS, the colors look washed out, everything is kinda blurry and the four direction movement translates horribly to the circle pad.