How playable is Kid Icarus: Uprising when you're left-handed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#1 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

I've wanted this game since before it even came out. I was always the one who would say "when is this game coming out? It looks AMAZING!". But I've always hesitated about it a little. Now I'm getting closer to getting it but need to know how playable is it WITHOUT a Circle Pad Pro? I really don't want to buy one of those just to enjoy one game. 

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
well i'm a lefty and i have no trouble using the right hand to aim with the stylus. but then again, there are a bunch of lefties that whine about no left-handed controls for stuff like skyward sword, and i think they all sound ridiculous.
darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

Thanks, Bruno. I think I'm gonna get it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23963 Posts

My brother is a lefty and he couldnt get into the game at all, the lefty controls at least.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im right handed and i still didnt like the controls...

the flying sections were fine....but once you get on the ground i had trouble...first with the camera...but i am not buying cpp for 1 game...the other problem was the dashing...you just touch the analog stick to move and you automatically dash..thats dumb.

controls aside i also had other issues with the game...but i'll stop here.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
You could grab a circle pad pro for those left-handed controls exclusively. That's an option, though I can't vouch for how good that feels.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

the flying sections were fine....but once you get on the ground i had trouble...first with the camera...but i am not buying cpp for 1 game...the other problem was the dashing...you just touch the analog stick to move and you automatically dash..thats dumb.

KBFloYd
Yep. I had the same problems. Getting use to the camera was a pain, but the major problem was the dashing controls which caused numerous unwarranted deaths later in the game when you have to walk on small platforms/bridges. Vehicle controls are also horrendous.
shadow_Metroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8 shadow_Metroid
Member since 2005 • 1631 Posts

I'm pretty sure it allows you to switch the controls to left handed.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Pretty playable. I'm left handed myself and it's not liek you are trying to carefully write or draw anything, you're just aiming and to be honest you don't need tremendous accuracy in this game.

The only awkwardness would be aiming around yourself in the land sections, but I think that's a general hiccup with everyone

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrunoBRS

Pretty playable. I'm left handed myself and it's not liek you are trying to carefully write or draw anything, you're just aiming and to be honest you don't need tremendous accuracy in this game.

The only awkwardness would be aiming around yourself in the land sections, but I think that's a general hiccup with everyone

NirdBerd
i have to wonder if all those people that have trouble aiming in KI don't have trouble playing PC shooters. it's the exact same control scheme, far better than dual analogs IMO.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

BrunoBRS
i have to wonder if all those people that have trouble aiming in KI don't have trouble playing PC shooters. it's the exact same control scheme, far better than dual analogs IMO.

It's definitely not the exact same control scheme. Using a mouse is nothing like using the touch screen to aim.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

Minishdriveby
Yep. I had the same problems. Getting use to the camera was a pain, but the major problem was the dashing controls which caused numerous unwarranted deaths later in the game when you have to walk on small platforms/bridges. Vehicle controls are also horrendous.

I don't understand why they're so many small platforms in a game like this
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="NirdBerd"]

Toxic-Seahorse

It's definitely not the exact same control scheme. Using a mouse is nothing like using the touch screen to aim.

what's the difference? you drag the stylus through the touch screen just like you'd drag a mouse. it's the same concept. the stylus is the mouse and the screen is the mouse pad.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i have to wonder if all those people that have trouble aiming in KI don't have trouble playing PC shooters. it's the exact same control scheme, far better than dual analogs IMO.BrunoBRS

what's the difference? you drag the stylus through the touch screen just like you'd drag a mouse. it's the same concept. the stylus is the mouse and the screen is the mouse pad.

No it's not, your hand rests on the mouse. You have to hold the stylus to the screen. That's a pretty big difference when it comes to comfort. That and the way you hold each is completely different. Your whoel hands rests on the mouse where as you have to pinch your fingers together to hold the stylus. Not to mention that a lot of the important buttons are mapped to your mouse where as the stylus has no buttons. Shooting is very awkward using the stylus. 

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] It's definitely not the exact same control scheme. Using a mouse is nothing like using the touch screen to aim.Toxic-Seahorse

No it's not, your hand rests on the mouse. You have to hold the stylus to the screen. That's a pretty big difference when it comes to comfort. That and the way you hold each is completely different. Your whoel hands rests on the mouse where as you have to pinch your fingers together to hold the stylus. Not to mention that a lot of the important buttons are mapped to your mouse where as the stylus has no buttons. Shooting is very awkward using the stylus. 

i haven't had any of the issues you brought up, so i stick to my comment of "it's just like playing with a mouse".
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] what's the difference? you drag the stylus through the touch screen just like you'd drag a mouse. it's the same concept. the stylus is the mouse and the screen is the mouse pad.BrunoBRS

i haven't had any of the issues you brought up, so i stick to my comment of "it's just like playing with a mouse".

I didn't list any issues aside from the shooting being awkward, I just explained how they're different. They aren't issue, they're facts on how each control scheme is used and why they're fundamentally different. They're not even close to the same thing and you lying to yourself doesn't make that any less true.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] No it's not, your hand rests on the mouse. You have to hold the stylus to the screen. That's a pretty big difference when it comes to comfort. That and the way you hold each is completely different. Your whoel hands rests on the mouse where as you have to pinch your fingers together to hold the stylus. Not to mention that a lot of the important buttons are mapped to your mouse where as the stylus has no buttons. Shooting is very awkward using the stylus. 

Toxic-Seahorse

I didn't list any issues aside from the shooting being awkward, I just explained how they're different. They aren't issue, they're facts on how each control scheme is used and why they're fundamentally different. They're not even close to the same thing and you lying to yourself doesn't make that any less true.

they are mechanically the same point and drag, rather than, say, dual analogs, or pointer. of course it's not literally a mouse. and you don't have to hold the stylus to the screen. honestly, the way people talk about KI controls make the game sound like some atrocity that destroys your hand and is impossible to control properly, but i have yet to have any issue with the game's controls, because it controls just like it would've controlled if i had a mouse hooked to the 3DS.

you listed comfort, and having to use the shoulder button to shoot, and those sound like complaints, which weren't a problem to me.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i haven't had any of the issues you brought up, so i stick to my comment of "it's just like playing with a mouse".BrunoBRS

they are mechanically the same point and drag, rather than, say, dual analogs, or pointer. of course it's not literally a mouse. and you don't have to hold the stylus to the screen. honestly, the way people talk about KI controls make the game sound like some atrocity that destroys your hand and is impossible to control properly, but i have yet to have any issue with the game's controls, because it controls just like it would've controlled if i had a mouse hooked to the 3DS.

you listed comfort, and having to use the shoulder button to shoot, and those sound like complaints, which weren't a problem to me.

Comfort isn't a complaint as I understand it's completely subjective and shoulder buttons to shoot wasn't a complaint either (although I never even stated that specifically), although the shooting does take some getting used to. They were examples on what seems to differ between the two controls schemes. The way you fire itself is very different. What I don't understand is that you said you don't have to hold the stylus to the screen. What do you mean by that? You have to hold the stylus up and touch the screen to aim, where as with a mouse your hand is resting against the surface. You're not holding up a mouse like you are with the stylus. Note that I never said the controls in KI were bad, I'm just saying that using the stylus to aim is nothing like using a mouse. They're fundamentally different. There is no point and drag with a mouse for a shooter, just drag. Not to mention you have a much larger surface to work with for more precision.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I didn't list any issues aside from the shooting being awkward, I just explained how they're different. They aren't issue, they're facts on how each control scheme is used and why they're fundamentally different. They're not even close to the same thing and you lying to yourself doesn't make that any less true.

Toxic-Seahorse

Comfort isn't a complaint as I understand it's completely subjective and shoulder buttons to shoot wasn't a complaint either (although I never even stated that specifically), although the shooting does take some getting used to. They were examples on what seems to differ between the two controls schemes. The way you fire itself is very different. What I don't understand is that you said you don't have to hold the stylus to the screen. What do you mean by that? You have to hold the stylus up and touch the screen to aim, where as with a mouse your hand is resting against the surface. You're not holding up a mouse like you are with the stylus. Note that I never said the controls in KI were bad, I'm just saying that using the stylus to aim is nothing like using a mouse. They're fundamentally different. There is no point and drag with a mouse for a shooter, just drag. Not to mention you have a much larger surface to work with for more precision.

let me put it this way: with dual analogs, you turn the screen at a steady speed like a freaking submarine. with pointer, you have free aim on the screen, and dragging the crosshairs to the edge allow you to turn with mouse, you just drag the whole thing at whatever speed you need. with stylus, it's mechanically the same: you need to aim somewhere, you flick it there. i'm not saying it FEELS like a mouse, i'm saying it PLAYS like a mouse. and you only need the stylus on the touch screen when you want to move the camera.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23963 Posts

you only need the stylus on the touch screen when you want to move the camera.BrunoBRS

Wait, what?

I am pretty sure you need to use the stylus in combat as well to aim your shots, an thus hit those moving targets.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you only need the stylus on the touch screen when you want to move the camera.Maroxad

Wait, what?

I am pretty sure you need to use the stylus in combat as well to aim your shots, an thus hit those moving targets.

that's what i said. but you don't need the stylus constantly pressed against the screen if you're not moving the reticle around.