How old do you have to be?..and what's wrong with having fun?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TechGuru89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TechGuru89
Member since 2009 • 478 Posts

Let me first start off by saying I'm not a fanboy of anyone or anything and I have zero intentions of this turning into a "vs." thread. Little backround on me...I started off small just like everyone else. My first console real console was the Genesis and it just went up from there. For the past couple of gens owning eveything and buying games I wouldn't play for weeks and sometimes never just to do the fact I bought just because I could. *Fast Forward* My gaming habits have completely slowed down. Games that were fun 2-5 years ago are just "meh" and I can't even play them anymore. I picked up some other hobbies and have prioritized my life.

I sold all my current gen stuff last year. I pre-ordered a DSI and just recently picked up a Wii. Really suits me for what I'm looking for in gaming. I can jump in and play every once and a while, but I can also pick up one of nintendo's killer first party games and play for hours when I have the time. I feel that's I need and I'm happy. I happy with the games and I'm happy with nintendo. My question is am I to old? :P :cry: I am 19 btw. Most of my buddies that I've been gaming with for years give me a bunch of bs for what I'm doing. I feel weird because their my friends and at the same time I just want my own space and for them to get off my back about it. I'm sure there are other people in my position and/or feel the same way. I'm not being a fanboy in any way, I'm just playing what is fun to me. Does that make it wrong, or even kiddy? Just looking for some support.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

There's like 30+ year olds on this forum that own the wii. Also i'm eighteen soon to be nineteen this May. Anyway i don't think any genre of gaming nor console has an "age limit." I guarantee you i'll be fourty and still kicking *** in Mario.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts

Of course you're not too old.

Play what you like.

I bought Pokemon Platinum day one and I'm older than you are. lol

Gabu actually has a great quote about maturity.

One of the surest signs of true maturity, and one of the first requirements for profound contentedness in life, is reaching the state where you no longer care whether or not what you're doing in private is mature.GabuEx

Heck actually the whole blog is great so just read it right here.

TechGuru89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TechGuru89

Play what you like.

[quote="GabuEx"]One of the surest signs of true maturity, and one of the first requirements for profound contentedness in life, is reaching the state where you no longer care whether or not what you're doing in private is mature.AlexSays

Thanks! :D That is a wonderful quote and I loved his blog. I swear, I'm done with sw for good. Wii+DS board for me, lol.
starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
This is how it works; when you are little you play E rated games, when you are a bit older and want to be grown up and cave into peer pressure you only play T games and want to play M games. Only when you become mature will you be able to play all games without feeling kiddy. At least that's how I see it.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
age means nothing in video games as long as the player has fun with the games out
im_really_rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 im_really_rich
Member since 2008 • 1371 Posts

Screw what people think. Just do what you feel like.

joelgargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joelgargan
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

The way i see it, Its a Console, it plays games, You have fun.

There is no age limit on fun man. Just enjoy yourself. If you have fun watching horror movies, great for you. If you like watching Play School, also good for you.

But on a serious note, Have fun, with or without you Wii.

Hynaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hynaboy
Member since 2006 • 327 Posts

35 year old gamer here who plays each day! I have never thought about it being kiddie. I grew up playing games and it has continued on non stop and I expect to be playing nintendo until I am unable to waggle my arms :) Heck my mum is 60 and has finished every zelda and mario game ever released and then some. I think its important to have some switch off time and games provide that for me. If I was 19 and my mates were giving me some sh..t I would just laugh and tell them to jam it up their ........ Anyway just enjoy mate! :)

deimos113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deimos113
Member since 2007 • 516 Posts
Peoples opions of something in this context are meaningless. By context i mean hobbies
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

im_really_rich

Listen to Richy Rich. I could care less what people think of me playing SMB 3 or Mario Party whatever. If those type of games is what you like, why punish yourself by being fake and playing games you don't like because people tell you otherwise. BTW I'm 27.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts
30 year old gamer here. Gaming is the hobby for thinkers. The fact that alot of people don't participate in this activity is a compliment to us. Also, alot of the so called "mature" games are obviously the most immature, really. Mario rocks! The gaming in a Mario game is unmatched. Not many young people can make it through every level of Galaxy. Just enjoy this hobby that is made for everyone, but is mastered by a few.
CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

Play what you like.

[quote="GabuEx"]One of the surest signs of true maturity, and one of the first requirements for profound contentedness in life, is reaching the state where you no longer care whether or not what you're doing in private is mature.AlexSays

Great quote, and point.

I'm 38, and I'm having more fun with a console than I have in years. Partly because I'm well past the point to what I care what others think about it.

My Wii serves the purpose I wanted for it [put a smile on my face] and has added some more [never expected as much social gaming, my non-gamer wife is becoming a gamer].

Reminds me of what I learned when getting married ... if I'm concerned what others think of my wife, and try to impress them - I might choose other than the person who makes me most happy. Instead, I chose who made me happy - and anyone who looks at my big smile and criticizes or judges can screw off, they're no true friend of mine.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

37 On 4 April. Best friend (IRVE) bought me No More Heroes for my Birthday!

CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

37 On 4 April. Best friend (IRVE) bought me No More Heroes for my Birthday!

Nomad0404

That's a pretty cool friend!

KillerNewFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KillerNewFish
Member since 2009 • 107 Posts
if all of the wii users were kids.. these forums would be DEAD never let what other people think of what you do stop you from doing it
snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

I'm going to be 23 in a month, I still play like I did years ago.

Although, its my only hobby. I probably need to find another one.

DDRMom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DDRMom
Member since 2008 • 1360 Posts

Why would anyone be too old to have fun?

I'm not that old, 35 in another month, but I don't remember thinking adults were too old for fun. I mean really, I've never looked at a houseleague baseball player as being too old to play a game or thinking that they shouldn't be playing. Why would you think you are too old for video games? Anyone 40 or under grew up with video games, to us 'old' people it's just another way to pass the time.

TechGuru89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TechGuru89
Wow, that's all I have to say. My opinion on this subject and the Wii in general has changed. I swear this board is more mature than the PS3 or X360 boards (not to trying to start anything, just saying...) Thanks a bunch guys! Life is to short. I'm going to play what I want, and right now that is the Wii and DS. :D I feel quite young compared to some of the people here as well. :P
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
21 and going strong
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
Of course you aren't! It's just like the myth that pokemon is "kiddy" when it really is one of the deepest RPGs around with a ton of strategy. Of course, if you just jump in and play your Wii in short sessions that makes you a "casual" gamer, and most people here want to burn you at the stake! I'd watch my back if I where you, but be sure to enjoy your Nintendo systems.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

I'm 18 and alot of people i know love videogames, maybe i'm just lucky :)

back on topic: no, videogames are not for inmature or "kiddy" people, the industry is even bigger than movies!

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#23 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

[QUOTE="im_really_rich"]

FFCYAN

Listen to Richy Rich. I could care less what people think of me playing SMB 3 or Mario Party whatever. If those type of games is what you like, why punish yourself by being fake and playing games you don't like because people tell you otherwise. BTW I'm 27.

Seconded.

I'm like 17 yet my friends are telling me to quit already and get a life. I don't care what they think, it's not like they can tell me how to live my life.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 AVIS93
Member since 2009 • 341 Posts

There's no age limit for doing any hobbie, including videogames. My dad is 49 and loves videogames such as Zelda, Mario, and Rock Band. =)

r_gam3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 r_gam3
Member since 2008 • 1185 Posts
it depends, if you play barbie and animal crossing, then o man. where as if you play, brawl, kart etc, then its ok.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Well, i am 46. My sister is 50, a good friend of mine is 65 years old. We all play the Wii regularly. Games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit are what my sister and friend play mostly, but i am trying everything. I grew up with games and i consider them on the same level as movies or tv shows. Its entertainment. Im not going to stop watching movies...and i am never going to stop playing video games. You are only 19 years old....just imagine what kind of games you will be playing in 20 years. Thats exciting. If someone else tries to judge you for your taste in games or the fact that you are playing them at all...thats is their problem not yours.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
[QUOTE="r_gam3"]it depends, if you play barbie and animal crossing, then o man. where as if you play, brawl, kart etc, then its ok.

I really hope your joking. :P
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

One of my favourite parts about Nintendo is that all of their games can be played on a simple shallow level and a more difficult in depth level. Their motto is basically "complexity within simplicity". Take Pokemon for example. It s a very simple RPG on the surface. You catch monsters to level up and each one can only have four moves. A young kid could play through the game with just that knowledge, however, if you want to get really competative with the multiplayer there are a lot of aspects to take into consideration. Take my Ursaring for example: he has an ability that has his strength increase when afflicted with a status problem. He has the move REST that recovers all of his HP but puts him to sleep. He also has the move SLEEP TALK that randomly selects one of his moves to use while asleep (His ability makes his attack stronger). So basically when my Ursaring is hurt I use REST to heal him then attack with increased power.Knowing howSUNNY DAY and RAINY DAYcan benifit your entire team also become handy information.

Other Nintendo games with this philosophy: Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Pikmin, Animal Crossing (this game gets REALLY in depth actually), Mario (have you ever tried getting all of the Yoshi coins and levels unlocked in Mario World? There is always something to do for those who seek a greater challenge. Mario Galaxy offers coin runs beyond gettiong all 242 stars), Advance Wars, etc.

By the way I am going to be 21 this year.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I'll be gaming till I die ;)

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Not even 80 year gradmothers are too old for it. Hey, I myself am 19, and I'd much rather play kid-oriented games than those games that have gore and sex splatter all over the TV screen. Luckily, though the Wii is mostly family-friendly oriented. Mario and Pokemon FTW!
black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts
i turn 19 in a couple weeks and i dont see my gaming habits slowing down any time soon and my friend are the same
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#32 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

Let me first start off by saying I'm not a fanboy of anyone or anything and I have zero intentions of this turning into a "vs." thread. Little backround on me...I started off small just like everyone else. My first console real console was the Genesis and it just went up from there. For the past couple of gens owning eveything and buying games I wouldn't play for weeks and sometimes never just to do the fact I bought just because I could. *Fast Forward* My gaming habits have completely slowed down. Games that were fun 2-5 years ago are just "meh" and I can't even play them anymore. I picked up some other hobbies and have prioritized my life.

I sold all my current gen stuff last year. I pre-ordered a DSI and just recently picked up a Wii. Really suits me for what I'm looking for in gaming. I can jump in and play every once and a while, but I can also pick up one of nintendo's killer first party games and play for hours when I have the time. I feel that's I need and I'm happy. I happy with the games and I'm happy with nintendo. My question is am I to old? :P :cry: I am 19 btw. Most of my buddies that I've been gaming with for years give me a bunch of bs for what I'm doing. I feel weird because their my friends and at the same time I just want my own space and for them to get off my back about it. I'm sure there are other people in my position and/or feel the same way. I'm not being a fanboy in any way, I'm just playing what is fun to me. Does that make it wrong, or even kiddy? Just looking for some support.

TechGuru89

Same here man. I just turned 17 (not old or even semi-old, just throwing it out there) and some of my friends bash me for spending so much money on videogames. Now, I'm pretty balanced. Videogames do not rule my life or have any effect on my social life, but sometimes you gotta kick back for a couple hours and dominate some Ledgend of Zelda. I'm going to have some buddies over when Punch-Out comes out because we're all big fans of the NES game. I like the Wii because it's got variety--FPS are good sometimes, but I like platformers and puzzle games and other stuff that other systems just don't have. I don't think the Wii's a kiddy system, or that by playing the Wii in your free time makes you kiddy in any way.

gixer750ws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gixer750ws
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts

i'm 41 and bought this console for my 8 year old for xmas, i reckon i use it more than he does as there are alot of games you can get straight into, call me a casual gamer but i have other stuff to do alot of the time and alot of the games just suit me ,just luv house of the dead overkill, over any resident evil game as i don't want to mess about looking for keys or stuff, just kill zombies ect.

jttucker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jttucker13
Member since 2009 • 154 Posts

30 year old gamer here. Gaming is the hobby for thinkers. The fact that alot of people don't participate in this activity is a compliment to us. Also, alot of the so called "mature" games are obviously the most immature, really. Mario rocks! The gaming in a Mario game is unmatched. Not many young people can make it through every level of Galaxy. Just enjoy this hobby that is made for everyone, but is mastered by a few.skingus

Thinkers, indeed. I started playing Atari b4 kindergarden, was in accelerated programs in school, and graduated 3rd in my class. I'm 34 now, and I hope to play until the nurse takes the controller from my aged arthritic hands! Anything that makes you think creatively is good.Buddhism tells us we are born into the world with the knowledge to transcend suffering. What's wrong with trying to return to that state? I enjoy 'kid-like' things just for the pure joy of them, who cares what others think?

Obamamaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Obamamaniac
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
I'm 14, and everyone at my school tries tomake sure they've left all of their childhood behind. I'm not ashamed to admit that I play Pokemom (over 300 hours on Pearl, over 500 on EMerald, over 400 on Ruby and getting Platinum soon!) or that I only have a Wii and ds. Hell, I sometimes watch spongebob. Everyone laughs at me, and I really don't give a crap. Do what you think is fun, don't let others push you around.
lil_speedy_rvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lil_speedy_rvd
Member since 2003 • 527 Posts

Seriously dude, you shouldnt care what others think ... im 19 and i love the Wii, its games are awsome and the VC is simply amazing. You dont have to worry about a thing.