How many people determine whether to get a game based on price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shyacoustic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shyacoustic
Member since 2008 • 53 Posts

I was just curious if the price of a DS game was a consideration in buying that particular
game? I can go either way on this topic. I do not to spend over 29.99 for a game and
sometimes have waited for something to go on sale at Amazon or elsewhere before buying
the game. For instance I had wanted Zelda Hourglass but didn't want to pay 34.99 for it and
eventually was able to get the game 50 percent off at Circuit City when they had a 2 day memorial day sale.
Also I can remember not caring about getting a game like Touch Detective 2 1/2 but when it was
selling new at Gamestop for 9.99 had to buy a copy. I know that certain games will always be 29.99 or
perhaps even higher than that. For my games that I paid 29.99 they were ones I truly knew had to be
in my collection i.e. like Professor Layton. I tend to be the kind of person who checks circulars from stores
regularly and looks at Amazon for price drops. Now when a game is 19.99 I'm more apt to consider buying
it. I'm curious to the pricing structures in determing which games will be selling for a decent price and other's
that will be selling for more. For myself I try to consider how much time will be spent playing a game when
considering the price and realize that certain games are more worth it than others. I do realize one can get
good prices by buying used games (though if a new games is only a few dollars more then I tend to buy the
new one). Thanks for reading my long post and will be interested to hear people's opinions on this topic. Thanks!

Avatar image for Destry-sDestiny
Destry-sDestiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Destry-sDestiny
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts
I am a shopaholic for games. I'll go look on store websites to see if any games are on sale or clearance. When it was March break this year, I got Magical Starsign for $10! And, I got Snood 2 for $5! (both new...) Usually, I find that the more expensive games like Mario games or Square Enix games don't drop in price as often as Ubisoft games, for example. Ususally, my limit for a game is $35, and that's pushing it. I got TWEWY for $35... I think that's a fair price for Canadian pricing.... Lastly, If there's an incredibly cheap game an sale, I'll buy it no matter what...
Philx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Philx3
Member since 2008 • 1426 Posts

If there is a brand new game and it is really cheap it usally is a crap game. But brand new games at full price means usally its pretty good.

Soz if ya find the word crap offensive. But it isn't an offensive word.

XNA-Game-Maker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XNA-Game-Maker
Member since 2008 • 192 Posts
I just buy games that have a good story, good gameplay, and graphics. I could care less about the price because I can work my a** off for the money:)
Xraydon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Xraydon
Member since 2005 • 1227 Posts
Price means nothing to me
Dymond7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 Dymond7
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
Not really, I'd rather pay 30$ for an awesome game rather than play 10$ for a bad game, allthough if I find a copy of a decent game for really cheap than I might get it.
SonOfTheSky05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SonOfTheSky05
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

((raises hand)) Always. I'm entering my fiance and I are entering our final year of undergrad school. We'll both be attending grad school (she in the fall). Then there's planning a wedding, rent, insurance, food, utilities, gas, loan repayment...the list goes on. Life costs money. To those who say money is no object are either incredibly successful, very lucky, or have yet to enter the real world.

However, that doesn't mean I buy bad games because they are cheap. In fact, I feel that I'm at an advantage. I let all the hype die down on yesteryear's games and then can sift through what is truly great and worth my time versus what isn't. I'm a huge last-gen gamer for that very reason. Games like MGS3, RE4, FFXII, GTA SA, Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter can all be had for $10 dollars or less easily. These are all AAA titles from last gen. They are better than the majority of games available today that people drop $60 for. Heck, even games like SSBB can be had for $20 now-a mere 5 months after it was released.

I allow myself a couple of "new" gaming purchases each year (this year's were all Wii titles...Mario Kart, Wii Fit, and soon to be Tales of Symphonia 2). Other than that, I'm perfectly content stretching my gaming dollar while everyone else clamors for "the next big thing." Doesn't bother me one bit.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts
depends on the game. if im not sure if its good i look at the price.
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
I won't buy some DS games that I'm interested in ever if I can't find them for a price that i will actually get my value from. Other DS games that I think I will play a lot I will just buy the first place I see them.
Scsrhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Scsrhino
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
I admit I will price shop for games. Weather they be used or brand new, it depends on how much of a hit the game is or if it is an older title. I'll look at different websites and retail stores to find the lowest price possible. So far for my Wii that I got I have only payed full price on two games; SSBB and NMH. Given NMH was already $29.99. I have most of the major hit games for the wii and havent payed full price for any of them.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts

I'm much more inclined to buy a game at $15 or $20 than i would be at $25 or $30, especially when the game in question is something i wouldnt mind owning but could do without.

However, i won't just throw $10 away for a crap game, i would instead put that money towards something i'm actually anticipating, via preorder.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
Price doesn't mean anything for me since DS game sell for 30-40 dollars
jouvjouv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 jouvjouv
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
Since I'm saving up money to buy other stuff, and lack money by a margin, I really don't buy games often. Only when they go on a huge sale, or where there's a really cheap game I want.
Radiohead85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Radiohead85
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts

If it's a game I know will be great and deliver me a ton of quality gameplay, I don't mind paying a premium for it.

For example, I had no problem putting down $40 for Final Fantasy Tactics A2, because I knew that it was at least a hundred hours of gameplay, so it was more than worth it. Same thing with Civilization Revolution...I know that game will give me plenty of fun.

More or less, if the game can give me nearly unlimited replayability, I'll buy it at whatever price needed.

On the other hand, there's no way I'll even buy a game if it's only going ot give me 6-8 hours of gameplay. I'd rather just rent the thing for a fraction of the price, beat it, and be done with it.

HardcoreBunni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HardcoreBunni
Member since 2008 • 643 Posts
I usually get DS games for free, so I don't care.
Radiohead85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Radiohead85
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts

I usually get DS games for free, so I don't care.HardcoreBunni

Well, you know, some of us like to legally buy games so that the developers will have money to eat and make more games.

Wiz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wiz007
Member since 2004 • 281 Posts
Not at all for me. Since I don't buy lots of games, I am selective, I buy ones I like no matter the cost.
zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts
I decide how badly I want the game, and then if the price is worth it.
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

I buy games based on reviews and if I think a game would be fun, but I try to stick to a $25 dollar limit, because since now I'm a teenager, I have a limited source of money, and $50 or $60 for a game is just too much. I usually just wait for a price drop on the game or look for a used or greatest hits version of the game.

Sometimes though, if the games is really rare, or I just have to play it right now, I will buy it no matter what the price (within reason).

Avatar image for XxShadowTongyxX
XxShadowTongyxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 XxShadowTongyxX
Member since 2008 • 414 Posts
The only time I determine a game considering its price is if there are two games that I really want to buy, and one is cheaper than the other, than I will buy the cheaper one for the time being. Though generally I do not, money is really not a problem when I am buying games, even more so since I only have a DS.
kubicek1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kubicek1994
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

No. I determine whether to get a game baseed on the reviews.

Spade_Crisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Spade_Crisis
Member since 2007 • 809 Posts
Price means nothing to meXraydon

Second that.
As long it's a good game I've been looking foward too, then it doesn't matter.
More than half of my games are imports:P.
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts
I usually buy games cheapest to most expensive, Atlus distributed games take priority over all others. I rarely buy games over 30$. Not blinded by popularity or obsession over overpriced Square Enix game (leared lesson from FF3).
Love_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Love_Vampire
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts
Its all about the game so I don't really care about the price. But there are times where I will shop around for the best price.
HardcoreBunni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HardcoreBunni
Member since 2008 • 643 Posts

[QUOTE="HardcoreBunni"]I usually get DS games for free, so I don't care.Radiohead85

Well, you know, some of us like to legally buy games so that the developers will have money to eat and make more games.

What? I don't get games off the Internet if that's what you're insinuating. My spoiled 8 year old cousin buys DS games and gives them to me when he's done. For example, he only got bored of Pokemon Diamond a couple weeks ago so I only started playing that now. The only game I ever bought was Legend of Zelda when I got my DS.

Avatar image for SherlockHolmes1
SherlockHolmes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SherlockHolmes1
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts
I go by reviews, never even think of price.
cube2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cube2k8
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
i some times do that
LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LadyShanoa
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts
Game Reviews always.
TAKE_IT_BACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TAKE_IT_BACK
Member since 2008 • 3850 Posts

Genarally i get games later because they are on sale.

For instance, i really wanted Bully SE, but i couldn't buy it when i wanted to, so i waited a few months then it was only $30 on amazon.

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#31 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

I check multiple sites for reviews. I don't care too much on the price but I often scour the used sections and keep an eye out for sales to maybe catch a deal. Waiting for sales can sometimes backfire as some games actually cost MORE once they are off the shelves.

(I don't know how many times I walked by Electroplankton thinking, "ya know..I should buy that", only to pass it by)

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#32 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Price is a big issue to me, especially on the DS. I really like my DS, but I don't think the games are worth $35-$40. I know I'm missing out on some of the better games, ZPH TWEWY, FFIV etc., but paying full price for those games is just not worth it in my opinion. I'm a teacher, and poor, so its tough, haha.
SlorgieNel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 SlorgieNel
Member since 2005 • 1704 Posts

For me, it depends on how confident I am that I'm going to like the game. I knew Zelda would be worth whatever it costs, but I can't bring myself to pick up FFIV or TWETY for $40+ each (in Canada). Maybe if I saw them in the discount/used game sections I'd consider it, but to spend $50 (after tax) for a game I probably won't like is just stupid.

That said, you have to acknowledge that there are some companies that just never drop the price of their games, like Squeenix. So with them, it's a "get it now or wait until they release it as a greatest hit in five years" kind of deal -_-

LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LadyShanoa
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts
I believe FF IV is well worth the somewhat high price. However, somewhat off topic, Chrono Trigger DS at $39.99 is a little much for me to pay for that title, even if the reviews are great.
Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts
I am more inclined to buy a game if the price is lower. You mentioned Touch Detective, i got that game new at amazon for $7. I also picked up the other version of pokemon when i saw it on sale at a radio shack for $20 >_>
shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I don't let the price of a DS game stop me from getting it. FFIV and FFCC:RoF were well worth their $40 (by the way, I just saw FFCC:RoF for $20 at Target)

That said, I do pick up as many different bargin priced games for the DS as I can. I got Gunpey and Guilty Gears for $5 each and recently Magical Starshine, Children of Mana, and My Word Coach for a total of $18. I use my DS a lot more than my other systems, and like a lot of different games for it, so I'll bick up almost anything if it's under $10