How does RE4 hold up graficaly?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'm replaying metroid with the prime trilogy and think it looks fantastic on my lcd TV. But I know trilogy was touched up for it's rerelease. How does RE4 hold up graficaly compiared to trilogy?

Magic_Panda92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Magic_Panda92
Member since 2009 • 916 Posts

RE4 holds up awesome :) are you thinking about the Gamecube one or the Wii version?

AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AndromedasWake
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
Ehh, decently. I think the Resident Evil Archives games aged better, due to the pre-rendered backdrops. (which still look incredible, btw)
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jdc6305

I'm thinking about picking up the wii verson. I have a big LCD and some games don't hold up graficaly with jaggies. But games like metroid and mario galaxy look great.

Magic_Panda92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Magic_Panda92

yeah i played RE4 on a big tv and looked sweet :) its definatly worth it :D:D

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

yeah i played RE4 on a big tv and looked sweet :) its definatly worth it :D:D

Magic_Panda92
I haven't got it on the Wii, but I am actually re-playing RE4 on my PS2 at the minute. It is a sweet game, better than RE5 (although that is great too) in my opinion :).
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
its alright.aged a bit ,even on the wii .
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
It looks kind of muddy on an LCD but it's still an amazing looking game. Most importantly though is the atmosphere and awesome gameplay, it's definitely worth replaying.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I have it both for Gamecube and Wii, and they hold up pretty strong. I like with Wii version better due to the motion controls. Just makes it alot easier.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jdc6305

Cool thx for the input I'll give it a try.

-John_Connor-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -John_Connor-
Member since 2008 • 214 Posts

I have it both for Gamecube and Wii, and they hold up pretty strong. I like with Wii version better due to the motion controls. Just makes it alot easier.

kittensRjerks

I have RE4 for PS2, Cube and Wii and each version has its advantages over the others.

The PS2 version is a miracle considering the hardware difference between the Cube and PS2. It looks a little muddy and the controls are a bit stiff on the PS2 analog stick but the additional Ada missions, weapons and extra costumes help this port out a little. It looks pretty good in progressive scan and supports 16x9. It is the best 16x9 version as it was reworked very heavily in the porting process. (I remember Capcom claiming they had to rework a large amount of the game)

The Cube version runs at 480p if you have the right cables (not an advertised feature on the case, but it does support progressive scan) and the only downside is that there is no true 16x9 aspect ratio. (best you can do is a screen stretch, but it's not worth it) The Cube version is the best looking one if playing it in 480p with no screen stretching.

The Wii version is basically the "Director's Cut" and has all the extras from the PS2 version plus 480p (although it looks less clean when compared to the Cube version at the same resolution, likely due to stretching of resolution to support 16x9 without doing any work to clean it up) and great aiming controls with the Wii-mote. My one and only gripe against the Wii port is that they removed the laser sights from the weapons (one of the coolest weapon features in the game) and replaced them with a very huge and tacky looking reticule. A smaller reticule and keeping the laser sights would have been best.

No matter which platform,RE4 is a better game than RE5. Both great games, but RE4 got me to play through it at least 15 times across 3 platforms while RE5 only reeled me in for 3 playthroughs of the main game and 5 or so for each of the DLC chapters.

dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts
I played RE4 on my 32" LCD only to find that it looked absolutely awful with the regular composite video cable included with the Wii. It was all muddy and blurry, it just wasn't pleasant to look at. However, for the time being I'm blaming that on the cable - I need to find the component cables I bought so that I can judge it properly.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jdc6305

I played RE4 on my 32" LCD only to find that it looked absolutely awful with the regular composite video cable included with the Wii. It was all muddy and blurry, it just wasn't pleasant to look at. However, for the time being I'm blaming that on the cable - I need to find the component cables I bought so that I can judge it properly.dbz345
My tv is a32" lcd also. I bought some cheap knock of composite cables from gamestop and my games looked horrible. I thought it was my wii until I got new cables.I bought the rocketfish ones from best buy and there is a huge difference. Most games look pretty good nowa lot less jaggies.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ashley_wwe

What do you guys mean by "muddy"?

No matter which platform,RE4 is a better game than RE5.

-John_Connor-

While on the subject, I agree. 5 is good yes, but the setting and atmosphere is not as good as number 4. Do you know what is the most tedious bit of RE5? that platform that just keeps spinning and spinning forever until you eventually shoot the guys below (which is hard as you have to constantly run into position). So if you haven't got a Sniper Rifle it's hard, and with one, well... it's almost as hard... everytime I come to that point of the gameI think "aw no" because it'sso boring and it lasts for like 15 minutes:P.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jdc6305

I loved RE4 on the gamecube. I bought RE5 on the PS3 I couldn't make it more then 20 minutes into the game. I ended up selling it without playing it.

dbz345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 dbz345
Member since 2004 • 17980 Posts

What do you guys mean by "muddy"? Ashley_wwe

It just lacks any kind of real definition and focus, it just looks really low resolution. Basically imagine zooming in too much on a video that wasn't that high of a resolution to begin with - that's how I felt. I'm sure that component cables will make it better, but like I said I have to find mine first before I can say for sure (I've misplaced mine...).

Magic_Panda92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Magic_Panda92

its down to personal preference. I think the game holds up quite well whereas others don't.

Don't be mental on graphics anyway...gameplay is the most important and for that the game is 9/10

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ashley_wwe

I loved RE4 on the gamecube. I bought RE5 on the PS3 I couldn't make it more then 20 minutes into the game. I ended up selling it without playing it.

jdc6305
Just out of curiosity, will you be picking it up at all again? the last hour alone makes it awesome :D.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

[QUOTE="kittensRjerks"]

-John_Connor-

I have RE4 for PS2, Cube and Wii and each version has its advantages over the others.

The PS2 version is a miracle considering the hardware difference between the Cube and PS2. It looks a little muddy and the controls are a bit stiff on the PS2 analog stick but the additional Ada missions, weapons and extra costumes help this port out a little. It looks pretty good in progressive scan and supports 16x9. It is the best 16x9 version as it was reworked very heavily in the porting process. (I remember Capcom claiming they had to rework a large amount of the game)

The Cube version runs at 480p if you have the right cables (not an advertised feature on the case, but it does support progressive scan) and the only downside is that there is no true 16x9 aspect ratio. (best you can do is a screen stretch, but it's not worth it) The Cube version is the best looking one if playing it in 480p with no screen stretching.

The Wii version is basically the "Director's Cut" and has all the extras from the PS2 version plus 480p (although it looks less clean when compared to the Cube version at the same resolution, likely due to stretching of resolution to support 16x9 without doing any work to clean it up) and great aiming controls with the Wii-mote. My one and only gripe against the Wii port is that they removed the laser sights from the weapons (one of the coolest weapon features in the game) and replaced them with a very huge and tacky looking reticule. A smaller reticule and keeping the laser sights would have been best.

No matter which platform,RE4 is a better game than RE5. Both great games, but RE4 got me to play through it at least 15 times across 3 platforms while RE5 only reeled me in for 3 playthroughs of the main game and 5 or so for each of the DLC chapters.

I couldn't have written a better explanation than this! This guy knows his Resident Evil:)

Avatar image for redlightstudios
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 redlightstudios
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

In all honesty, its still better looking than most recent 3rd party attempts. Which is sad imo