How does an adult purchase this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Vidpci (118 posts) -
I honestly do not understand how a grown man can explain why he's playing pokemon on a handheld. There is simply nothing one can say. How do you sit there with a straight face and tell your girlfriend that you're busy playing pokemon...
#2 Posted by rubber-chicken (2077 posts) -
Some people will have something to say to you in 3, 2, 1... :P
#3 Posted by Vidpci (118 posts) -
Some people will have something to say to you in 3, 2, 1... :Prubber-chicken
I'm sure they will, I grew up playing Pokemon Red and Blue and Gameboy... it's just, I don't see how you explain playing pokemon as a grown man. In the privacy of your own home? Maybe. In public? Really... not so much.
#5 Posted by spike6958 (6698 posts) -
I'm 24, and have played Pokemon since the originals first released on Gameboy, and still enjoy the series now, and I think I like it more now than I did back then. I honestly don't care what others think of it. Yes, the show is childish, but that's all that is, the games are no more childish than Mario or Zelda and plenty of adults play them too. The single player is fun and relaxing, and it's competitive side it's probably one of the most challenging and strategic multiplayer games out there. Also I have the advantage that my Mrs also plays so I don't have to explain myself to her, she knows why I enjoy it because she does too.
#6 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11238 posts) -

Because there is more depth and strategy to be found in pokemon than the vast majority of M rated games. You have to look past the kid friendly exterior and enjoy yourself

#7 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

I honestly do not understand how a grown man can explain why he's playing pokemon on a handheld. There is simply nothing one can say. How do you sit there with a straight face and tell your girlfriend that you're busy playing pokemon...Vidpci

So what self esteem issue are we dealing with, not that lucky with the ladies? maybe too weak for sports? Not that good at your job for the paycheck you want?

The fact that you have a problem with playing Pokemon but not with playing games in general says that you have no problem pretending to be someone you're not in a world of make believe in all ways possible except for one.

THat's very very sad.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
#8 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
I honestly do not understand how a grown man can explain why he's playing pokemon on a handheld. There is simply nothing one can say. How do you sit there with a straight face and tell your girlfriend that you're busy playing pokemon...Vidpci
I played my first pokemon game at 35 something. I really wonder if you need to justify yourself when playing whatever you want. I enjoyed a lot and that's all I cared about.
#9 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Perhaps it's because I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks about the media I consume?
#10 Posted by Epak_ (10223 posts) -

You order it online and tell your GF to blow you.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
#11 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30973 posts) -

I think this should be posted

[spoiler] http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f278/katietiedrich/comic146.png [/spoiler]

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#12 Posted by darkspineslayer (22399 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vidpci"]I honestly do not understand how a grown man can explain why he's playing pokemon on a handheld. There is simply nothing one can say. How do you sit there with a straight face and tell your girlfriend that you're busy playing pokemon...Jaysonguy

So what self esteem issue are we dealing with, not that lucky with the ladies? maybe too weak for sports? Not that good at your job for the paycheck you want?

The fact that you have a problem with playing Pokemon but not with playing games in general says that you have no problem pretending to be someone you're not in a world of make believe in all ways possible except for one.

THat's very very sad.

For once, quoted for truth.
#13 Posted by Abagnam (122 posts) -
I dont like pokemon But sometimes i think a Call of Duty is a more childish game than a pokemon.....
#14 Posted by YoshiYogurt (6008 posts) -
I think someone has personal problems. If someone actually cares that you play a certain game, you shouldn't even associate yourselves with them. People can whatever the **** they want.
#15 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

When you become a "grown man" you stop being so concerned about what other people think about you.

#16 Posted by Nick3306 (3408 posts) -

When you become a "grown man" you stop being so concerned about what other people think about you.

Euaggelistes
This. I don't see why people need to put a invisible age limit on certain games. I'll play whatever games I want to play, dont like it? thats too damn bad.
#17 Posted by Vidpci (118 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vidpci"]I honestly do not understand how a grown man can explain why he's playing pokemon on a handheld. There is simply nothing one can say. How do you sit there with a straight face and tell your girlfriend that you're busy playing pokemon...Jaysonguy

THat's very very sad.

How did you know? You must be Ms. Cleo or something! I'm amazed at your internet therapist skills! What time is next week's session? We can talk about personality disorder and how to stand on our heads and count to 10!
#18 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

How did you know? You must be Ms. Cleo or something! I'm amazed at your internet therapist skills! What time is next week's session? We can talk about personality disorder and how to stand on our heads and count to 10!Vidpci

Damn, I thought I was the only one who remembered Ms. Cleo. :lol:

In response to the topic, nothing says "I'm secure with my masculinity" like a game of pokemon in public with a bright pink DS.

#19 Posted by JustBoomer (188 posts) -

I am 61 years old and looking forward to Poke'mon X. :cool:

#20 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

I admit to everyone I play and enjoy Pokemon. If they don't like it, well, then F'em.

#21 Posted by HowlingLotus (657 posts) -

Not sure if troll...

The problem with today - as others have touched upon - is that most people try to associate doing any thing with age. Age does not automatically equal maturity or knowledge as can be seen on a daily basis in this world. Why put someone down for something they enjoy? Just because you might have conformed to "what is normal" by societies views does not make others "childish" or "immature". Often times it is the insecurities of a person that causes them to project these delusions into their own minds that others are inferior simple for enjoying things different from their likes. Kind of like the people who have lost their dreams in life and try to drag down and discourage others from following their own.

So what if I want to play Pokemon? Should I care what others think of me that play no important role in my life? My true friends will be there enjoying the same "stupid hobbies" that I enjoy regardless of what people think.

When you're not sure about the things you're doing or like it is easy to put down those who are and do. 

#22 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

I'm guessing you only play mature games for mature people such as yourself. ;)

#23 Posted by Litchie (21445 posts) -

Like this:

-Hey what's up?
-Playing Pokémon
-Isn't that for children?
-No, it's actually really fun.

Problem?

#24 Posted by BigBen11111 (1529 posts) -

You order it online and tell your GF to blow you.

Epak_

Exactly. Besides, I don't have anyone judging me, if they did, I just move on and find a new friend.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
#25 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
If your girlfriend doesn't approve of you playing pokemon, time to get a new girlfriend