how do you open a wii remote?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k1o7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 k1o7
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
after you unscrew the 4 screws at the back of the wii remote, how do you open the locks at the top of the wii remote?
randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts
Why would you want to do that?
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
If memory serves me right, you have to pry it open. There are tabs inside that you have to unhinge. I think I used a flat head screw driver to do this. It's been over a year since I opened my Wii, Wiimote and Nunchuck to paint them, so forgive me if my information is not more 'complete'.
GamerBoy53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 GamerBoy53
Member since 2008 • 2666 Posts
You should probably get a proffesional to do it.
BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts

at first i thought he was talking about the battery compartment.

but why in the world do you want to open your wiimote?

black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts

If memory serves me right, you have to pry it open. There are tabs inside that you have to unhinge. I think I used a flat head screw driver to do this. It's been over a year since I opened my Wii, Wiimote and Nunchuck to paint them, so forgive me if my information is not more 'complete'.Cesar_Barba

probablly closest to what he said

but as for why he would wanna, i think its like back in the N64 days people would take apart 2 different coloured controllers and put together so lik the top of a blue with a bottom of a red , then a top of red and the bottom of a blue one just like how you could buy the nintendo official yellow and blue pokemon controller this is just the cheap way lol

k1o7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k1o7
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
thanks for your help!! i want to open s i can fix somthing.
tommy--F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tommy--F
Member since 2008 • 502 Posts

thanks for your help!! i want to open s i can fix somthing.k1o7

What do you need to fix? 

ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts

thanks for your help!! i want to open s i can fix somthing.k1o7

u know u got a warranty and the right to get a new one if there's sth wrong with it? and in the case u alrdy opened it....now u dont have any warranty

hewgdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hewgdog
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
a hammer can open almost anything, try it.
stevew_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stevew_f
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Don't have an answer? Don't post a reply. It just adds noise to the thread, and is not constructive. It's like me asking you: "Why would you want to know he/she would want to do that?" See? I adds nothing. Instead: Once you've removed the 4 screws, yes, you pry the two apart. It is held in by a pair of plastic lock-tabs. The tabs are located on either side, about 1cm from the end of the remote. I suggest placing the remote face-down (buttons down). This not only keeps the little pieces from falling out, but also keeps the remote steady while you press. Then get a fine flat-blade screwdriver or similar-shaped tool (maybe even two of these tools). Press the tool into the seam on one side, where I've described the location of the tabs. Then lever the tool so the tip goes in & down, very slightly, no more than 1mm in and 2mm down. You should see the seam widen, meaning that the tab has been disengaged on this side. Repeat on the other side (you may wish to leave the tool inserted on the first side so that the tab doesn't slip back down and lock again). Good luck!
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

It's nice that you wanted to provide some helpful advice for the TC but you should have noted that this thread was created back in 2008.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

It's nice that you wanted to provide some helpful advice for the TC but you should have noted that this thread was created back in 2008.

moltenix
realized? you'd have to travel to the far back of the forums to even SEE this thread? What the hell was this guy thinking?
mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

My isn't time travel fun.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

moltenix

I'm sure its still a great deal of help to TC :roll:

jorler333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 jorler333
Member since 2009 • 891 Posts

My isn't time travel fun.

mrfokken

wut?

PsYcHo_BrOwNiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 PsYcHo_BrOwNiE
Member since 2009 • 5059 Posts
Yeah, why did you want it open?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There needs to be a sticky or something that tells people about topic revivals...

ionymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ionymous
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

moltenix
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"] realized? you'd have to travel to the far back of the forums to even SEE this thread? What the hell was this guy thinking?

If you think you're only answering questions for the original poster you're wrong. Don't you google for answers all the time? Don't you hate finding a thread with the same question but no answer? I just searched for this question and am grateful to those who gave advice. Thanks! Especially thanks to stevew_f. Knowing exactly where the tabs were made it easy to take the wiimote apart with a flat blade screwdriver. You rock!
fithsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fithsk
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Steve has the right answer. Of course, one needs to buy a triwing screwdriver to be able to unscrew the four screws. There is a risk that the tabs go off when opening it, though. They seem to have been manufactured to break if opened, maybe so Nintendo can see if it has been opened. It can still be closed with the screws anyway. What does it matter the question wasn't asked yesterday? I Googled this today because I wanted to be sure how to open it without damaging it. Why does one need to open it? I'd rather have avoided it, but if one has been unlucky enough to have a visiting kid who's never heard of soap and water and whose hands have been marinaded in sirup/jam/mention your preferred sticky stuff, then opening the remote may become necessary, as they may be sticky afterwards, and you can't clean underneath the keys without opening the remote. Given that the Nintendo warranty doesn't cover a remote marinaded in sirup etc., one has the choice of buying a new, letting Nintendo de-sirup it, probably at the same cost of a new, or de-siruping it one self.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
[QUOTE="fithsk"]Steve has the right answer. Of course, one needs to buy a triwing screwdriver to be able to unscrew the four screws. There is a risk that the tabs go off when opening it, though. They seem to have been manufactured to break if opened, maybe so Nintendo can see if it has been opened. It can still be closed with the screws anyway. What does it matter the question wasn't asked yesterday? I Googled this today because I wanted to be sure how to open it without damaging it. Why does one need to open it? I'd rather have avoided it, but if one has been unlucky enough to have a visiting kid who's never heard of soap and water and whose hands have been marinaded in sirup/jam/mention your preferred sticky stuff, then opening the remote may become necessary, as they may be sticky afterwards, and you can't clean underneath the keys without opening the remote. Given that the Nintendo warranty doesn't cover a remote marinaded in sirup etc., one has the choice of buying a new, letting Nintendo de-sirup it, probably at the same cost of a new, or de-siruping it one self.

I feel bad that you put so much effort into this :(
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
Just throw it really hard.... j/k. Do you mean to get to the batteries, or are you trying to get to the board inside? The batteries are accessable from a slide off hatch at the back and bottom of it. Hope that helps.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 garrett_duffman
wow we just cant keep this thread dead. Somebody want to make sure the nails are actually IN the coffin this time?
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
wow we just cant keep this thread dead. Somebody want to make sure the nails are actually IN the coffin this time?garrett_duffman
Why do you do this?
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]wow we just cant keep this thread dead. Somebody want to make sure the nails are actually IN the coffin this time?meetroid8
Why do you do this?

because I can't lock the thread on my own.
cantleaveitbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cantleaveitbe
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I have opened many such devices, but this one is made not to be pried open. The latching tabs are too sharply fitted into their pockets. I broke off one tab getting things open. I think the secret is to compress the back 1/2" from the end and as close to the front as possible with pliers, or better with some vise or clamp that you can control. This will start opening the latch when the top is moved maximally right or left on the back. The pressure should be across the broad side of the Next time I will start that way. My unit fails to turn on regardless of battery condition.