How do I get better in Super Mario World?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I had the game for the GBA and I could never beat it. Along with Super Mario Advance and Super Mario Advance 3. I'm bad at them and the only Mario game I have beaten was super Mario 3d land while I never played Super Mario 64 or any of the Super Mario games for Wii and Wii U.

maverick5683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 maverick5683
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

What specifically are you bad at? More information is needed to offer substantial advice.

Some general pointers from an old Mario veteran:

-Always hold down the run button if you aren't already.

-In Super Mario World use the cape vs the fire flower as often as possible. You can glide to a landing spot as opposed to just falling which can be helpful in difficult situations

-Also, have Yoshi as often as possible. First of all, he allows you to take an extra hit. Second of all, he can eat a lot of enemies that are difficult to deal with otherwise

-Unlock the secret area above the Donut Plains Ghost House if you haven't already. Go into the Ghost House with a cape, run until you are able to fly, and then fly to the top left of the screen. This unlocks a secret exit that unlocks the secret area. This secret area is a spot you can stop in to get Yoshi and a cape at any time between levels. You can also keep going in for unlimited extra lives if you choose to.

Those are some general tips, feel free to explain your specific problems if you need more help. It's been a few years, but I've done many playthrus of this game since it released. It is one of my all time favorites, and my absolute favorite Mario game.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Memorization and muscle memory through repetition.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@maverick5683 said:

What specifically are you bad at? More information is needed to offer substantial advice.

Some general pointers from an old Mario veteran:

-Always hold down the run button if you aren't already.

-In Super Mario World use the cape vs the fire flower as often as possible. You can glide to a landing spot as opposed to just falling which can be helpful in difficult situations

-Also, have Yoshi as often as possible. First of all, he allows you to take an extra hit. Second of all, he can eat a lot of enemies that are difficult to deal with otherwise HE ALSO GIVES YOU A HIGHER JUMP WHEN YOU LEAP OFF OF HIM.

-Unlock the secret area above the Donut Plains Ghost House if you haven't already. Go into the Ghost House with a cape, run until you are able to fly, and then fly to the top left of the screen. This unlocks a secret exit that unlocks the secret area. This secret area is a spot you can stop in to get Yoshi and a cape at any time between levels. You can also keep going in for unlimited extra lives if you choose to.

Those are some general tips, feel free to explain your specific problems if you need more help. It's been a few years, but I've done many playthrus of this game since it released. It is one of my all time favorites, and my absolute favorite Mario game.

Follow this guy's advice.

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Yeah, please tell us what your having trouble with. SMW is one of the easiest games out there.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

repetition, just keep playing over and over and over

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Be born in 1980 like me. The modern gaming brain lacks the skill to go back in time. Maybe a good Idea would be to graduate, play Super Mario Bros., then 2, then 3, then world. By then you'll be able to breeze through World with your eyes closed.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@dr_vancouver said:

Be born in 1980 like me. The modern gaming brain lacks the skill to go back in time. Maybe a good Idea would be to graduate, play Super Mario Bros., then 2, then 3, then world. By then you'll be able to breeze through World with your eyes closed.

Actually, this is the best advice. 1982 here.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

a few of the problem I am having are the controls. I am sure on the gba version I used to play, the game only used and a + b and not x and y. It's kind of comfortable using x +y. The other problem is getting the came. Sometimes I can get them a koopa other times it kills them instantly. And the other was if I can pick up piranha's and kick them,

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#10 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@TheShadowLord07: Well in response to Super Mario Advance (Super Mario 2 USA), there is actually a part in the game where you can get 1 UP mushrooms over and over again. With most of the levels it's a matter of finding the extra hearts, and going into the 'dark world' to pick all of the flowers and find big mushrooms to give you an edge with health.

Super Mario Advance 3 is Yoshi's Island I think, right? Or is it Super Mario Bros. 3?

Well in SMB3 you want to visit the mushroom houses and stock up on good power-ups from the chests you find there. You also want to try and beat every zone so you can get more items from Peach for defeating each of Bowser's kids. Don't worry so much about stocking up on Stars or Big Mushrooms, but more or less all of the other power-ups in the game. If you absolutely need to, you can use warp whistles, though you'll wind up with a lower score and less opportunities to find good power-ups and get 1UPs from stage ends.

Yoshi's Island... Wow it's been a long time since I've played the first one now. Pretty similar, I try to keep as many enemies turned into eggs as possible, so I don't run low on eggs when I need to use them. If Mario gets separated from you your primary objective immediately becomes RESCUE MARIO! Eliminate all suspicious walls, find all of the big flowers and things like that hidden in the levels.

SMW had a lot of hidden stages and pathways you could unlock. If it seems like you completed certain levels too easily, replay them, because chances are if you take some other pipe or avoid some highly-visible doorway, there is another less-obvious one just out of the way.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

If you haven't unlocked the secret area behind the Ghost House in World 2, well, you may want to. It has a Yoshi, powerups and iirc some one-ups. It's pretty sick. I think you have to fly up to the second level in the Ghost house to unlock it.

Don't rush it though. This is one of, if not the best 2-D platformer ever. Enjoy finding all the secrets. It took me several play-throughs to find them all.