How about Wii Elite?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bror_jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bror_jace
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Heres the deal, recently played Bioshock a little bit and think its awesome. Made me think...Nintendo has revamped the gameboy several times and even the DS got a remake after just one year or something. We can safely say that DS lite is totally superior to the Phat,no one complained,everyone got one. The Wii has proven itself to be a winner as well,but for how long? Art direction has its limits without technology, and no matter how much they try, the gap between Wii and 360 is gonna be more evident as time passes by,I mean look at Endless ocean for example. Its a game mostly based on graphical enjoyment,yet it looks like CRAP. The only thing the Wii needs is more power. Nintendo has the upper hand at this moment,but if they dont realize that the clock is ticking until the "new audience" they just won start to realize that games look a million times better in other consoles,theyre screwed. The motion sensing amusement is not gonna last forever,and since Nintendo is pocket-full with $ and probably their pockets will explode with games like Brawl, why not come up with a little tune up for the Wii? I can envision a Wii that runs 720p. Same console,just more horsepower. Ok,ok, a lot of people will be pissed off cuz they have to change to the newer version eventually,but people with Wiis can get a trade promotion for the Wii elite. If i were in Iwata´s position, i wouldnt think twice on it. That way they would EXTERMINATE competition. When a console is successful, people is willing to buy anything they throw at them,PS2 slim great example. What do you think?
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
I can't see Nintendo trying to follow in the footsteps of a company they are outselling in hardware sales, that would just be stupid. You wont be seeing a true HD Wii for 4-5 years when Nintendo release its successor, 720P upscaler (eg xbox 1) is probably possible on the current units but they dont seem to be interested do they.
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts

I can't see Nintendo trying to follow in the footsteps of a company they are outselling in hardware sales, that would just be stupid. You wont be seeing a true HD Wii for 4-5 years when Nintendo release its successor, 720P upscaler (eg xbox 1) is probably possible on the current units but they dont seem to be interested do they.csliney

Yeah, just because a system had a re-design ( DS Lite ) doesnt mean that they somehow added more power. Plus this would pretty much screw over all the millions of people who already own a Wii. You just have to wait for the next Nintendo console.

zaid55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zaid55
Member since 2005 • 1132 Posts
i would throw my wii out the window
Avatar image for DevilInside2905
DevilInside2905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DevilInside2905
Member since 2005 • 176 Posts
So far the DS has proven that it's possible to be a winner without awesome graphics. I really believe that if developers will stay creative enough, the Wii can ultimately win this gen. Maybe win is a bad word, as long as it stays a success, rather than what happened to Gamecube.
Avatar image for Lord_Tulak_Hord
Lord_Tulak_Hord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lord_Tulak_Hord
Member since 2005 • 210 Posts
Ps2 slim or ds lite are in no way more powerful than ps2 or ds. Elite isn't more powerful than xbox360 premium or core either. What you say would upset millions of wii owners and most wii owners would not buy a nintendo product again. (including me ) They wanna release and update that makes current wiis 720p capable, fine; they wanna release a new hd console at least 3 years later, that's fine as well. But not now, i would just sell my wii and wouldn't buy a nintendo product ever again.
DevilInside2905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DevilInside2905
Give the Wii some time to show it's true power. If you look at Metroid Prime and Galaxy, you know it's possible to have good graphics. Off course they can't compete with the power of HD that Sony and Microsoft has but that's not what Wii is all about. Nintendo can easily secure their market position with only 2 things: more online games/use of WiiConnect24 and keeping up the support for the hardcore gamers.
eurobeatbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 eurobeatbear
Member since 2003 • 100 Posts
well nintendo can crank up its graphics sector with superb artist and designers.. but at the moment, it seems they are more keen to attract more grannies and pre-schoolers.. i hope they cater to the hardcore audiences soon
wii60_lukatoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wii60_lukatoll
Member since 2007 • 1076 Posts

no... nintendo won't do that because they know it will pisseveryone who owns a wii right now

Panderlips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Panderlips
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Heres the deal, recently played Bioshock a little bit and think its awesome. Made me think...Nintendo has revamped the gameboy several times and even the DS got a remake after just one year or something. We can safely say that DS lite is totally superior to the Phat,no one complained,everyone got one. The Wii has proven itself to be a winner as well,but for how long? Art direction has its limits without technology, and no matter how much they try, the gap between Wii and 360 is gonna be more evident as time passes by,I mean look at Endless ocean for example. Its a game mostly based on graphical enjoyment,yet it looks like CRAP. The only thing the Wii needs is more power. Nintendo has the upper hand at this moment,but if they dont realize that the clock is ticking until the "new audience" they just won start to realize that games look a million times better in other consoles,theyre screwed. The motion sensing amusement is not gonna last forever,and since Nintendo is pocket-full with $ and probably their pockets will explode with games like Brawl, why not come up with a little tune up for the Wii? I can envision a Wii that runs 720p. Same console,just more horsepower. Ok,ok, a lot of people will be pissed off cuz they have to change to the newer version eventually,but people with Wiis can get a trade promotion for the Wii elite. If i were in Iwata´s position, i wouldnt think twice on it. That way they would EXTERMINATE competition. When a console is successful, people is willing to buy anything they throw at them,PS2 slim great example. What do you think?bror_jace

yep thats genius, you should be the head of nintendo, alientae 12 million wii owners by bringing out a new console before a year on sale. GENIUS! . I have a answer for you mate, get a job, make some money and buy a 360, i have a wii and a 360 and love them both for all their differences . you cant just bring out a "wii elite" that does HD. You would need a total cpu redesign and a multi core processor , a new GPU and a new case, lets face it you cant cram soemthing like a ps3 or a 360 into a wii sized case. Please in future think before writing utter tosh. thanks

DevilInside2905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DevilInside2905
It's like some people still don't realise that gameplay will never have the highest priority on the Wii. IMO, gameplay with the remote makes up for bad graphics. If you want stunning graphics, why buy a Wii
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts

It's like some people still don't realise that game play will never have the highest priority on the Wii. IMO, game play with the remote makes up for bad graphics. If you want stunning graphics, why buy a WiiDevilInside2905
Agreed. We've got a PS3 and I cn't remember he last time we actually used it as a gaming console. My Mom is the one that uses it the most to watch her movies, and I won't lie, those Blue-Ray movies are sure 'perty'

If I want HD graphics, then I would play on my PC, and the only games either my girlfriend or I play on PC are just puzzled, not exactly your resource hogging games.

han_186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 han_186
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts

why r u saying endless ocean looks ugly? it looks gorgeous

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's not broke, so Nintendo won't be fixing it. I believe that Microsoft and Sony have had to release newer versions of the their systems because they didn't accurately anticipate the needs of their own consumers. It's quite interesting that Sony has already abandoned one of their original PS3 models. Perhaps, Nintendo will do some cosmetic changes in a years or two, like they did the DS.

Hardware changes will come with the next console.

fon1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 fon1988
Member since 2005 • 4325 Posts

Heres the deal, recently played Bioshock a little bit and think its awesome. Made me think...Nintendo has revamped the gameboy several times and even the DS got a remake after just one year or something. We can safely say that DS lite is totally superior to the Phat,no one complained,everyone got one. The Wii has proven itself to be a winner as well,but for how long? Art direction has its limits without technology, and no matter how much they try, the gap between Wii and 360 is gonna be more evident as time passes by,I mean look at Endless ocean for example. Its a game mostly based on graphical enjoyment,yet it looks like CRAP. The only thing the Wii needs is more power. Nintendo has the upper hand at this moment,but if they dont realize that the clock is ticking until the "new audience" they just won start to realize that games look a million times better in other consoles,theyre screwed. The motion sensing amusement is not gonna last forever,and since Nintendo is pocket-full with $ and probably their pockets will explode with games like Brawl, why not come up with a little tune up for the Wii? I can envision a Wii that runs 720p. Same console,just more horsepower. Ok,ok, a lot of people will be pissed off cuz they have to change to the newer version eventually,but people with Wiis can get a trade promotion for the Wii elite. If i were in Iwata´s position, i wouldnt think twice on it. That way they would EXTERMINATE competition. When a console is successful, people is willing to buy anything they throw at them,PS2 slim great example. What do you think?bror_jace

TC, I can't believe you said Endless Ocean looks like crap. You must be blind, or just in denial that Wii is improving on gameplay and graphics and is the best selling system on the market. I own both Xbox360 and the Wii and with the first batch of Wii games such as Zelda, Red Steel, Excite Truck andSonic, they looked as though they could easily be played on the last gen consoles. Games such as Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Endless Ocean and Metroid have already proven that the Wii is more than capable of improved graphics.

So for people who say that the Wii is nothing but a Gamecube with different controls can finally shut up. Saying Endless Ocean looks like crap isn't an opinion, it's an ignorant statment. I've played Bioshock, Gears of War and countless other 360 games so I know what Im talking about. I've also played Metroid and have seen loads of gameplay videos for Brawl, Galaxy and Endless Ocean and I know the graphics look amazing. Mario Galaxy looks suprisingly close to anything found on the 360 and thats a fact.

Now as for the rest of your post, saying that the motion sensing "amusement" wont last forever is a blind statement because obvioulsy it's done a great job so far. People made the exact same assumption with the DS, saying that the touch screen will be old news soon, but guess what, its the top selling game deck in the world right now. The Wii looks as though it's going down that exact same path. And you must be ignorant but they never have "revamped" a gameboy for more power. There was the original Gameboy, big and bulky. So they decided to make the Gameboy Pocket. Then after that, they made the gameboy color. Still no more power than before. Next game the Gameboy Advance, a compleltly NEW system with upgrades. Then they made the SP with a better design and a lighted screen, nope don't see anymore power here. Then they made the DS with a similar design to the SP, just bigger with two screens. They wanted a slimmer and better design so now we have the DS lite. Not one of these gameboys has ever acquired more "power" than it's previous one. They made a new, seperate system with upgrades, just like they did with consoles.

And finally, it's sad to see that gamers like you are more worried about the way their games look than how they play. The game Elebits looks like a gamecube game, yet it's one of my favorite games I've played in a long time, why? Because it was just plain fun. Why aren't games about fun anymore? You take a look at the 360, a console with mainly shooters, sports and racing games and see the games look amazing so you buy it. Instead of looking at what the Wii has to offer, you look at the graphics and assume the 360 is the better deal. It's people like you and so many other gamers that are ruining the industry. I barely ever touch my 360 because theres just not that much going for it. You have your new first person shooter, sports and racing title that plays so much like the other countless first person shooters, sports and racing games on the system and you blindly go out and buy it because the graphics looked cool.

Oh and I doubt Nintendo would pull such an ignorant stunt and produce a Wii-Elite and piss off the millions of old and new gamers that invested into their system. The DS came out and shortly after, here comes the DS-lite. It looks cooler yeah, but I own a DS regular and I would never trade it in for a lite, simply because it's the same system, just smaller and cooler looking. And you use an "oh so fine"(sarcasm) example there too. You talk about Nintendo revamping the Wii with more horse power so that their games would look nicer, but yet you mention the PS2 Slim. Anyone that owns a normal PS2, NEVER need to buy a slim. The Slim just looks cooler and is more compact and includes a built in LAN connector.

If you have any questions or comments please tell me because I'd love to hear them.

gamerfreak13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 gamerfreak13
Member since 2005 • 1796 Posts
None of the redesigns have anymore power. Not the Lite, not the Elite, just different body and in the case of the Elite, HDMI and bigger HDD.
hitmanlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hitmanlee
Member since 2006 • 279 Posts
None of the redesigns have anymore power. Not the Lite, not the Elite, just different body and in the case of the Elite, HDMI and bigger HDD.gamerfreak13
Exactly. The 360 Elite is the same crap in a black casing. It will RRoD sooner or later. Mine went out last week.
L00pey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 L00pey
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

[QUOTE="bror_jace"]Heres the deal, recently played Bioshock a little bit and think its awesome. Made me think...Nintendo has revamped the gameboy several times and even the DS got a remake after just one year or something. We can safely say that DS lite is totally superior to the Phat,no one complained,everyone got one. The Wii has proven itself to be a winner as well,but for how long? Art direction has its limits without technology, and no matter how much they try, the gap between Wii and 360 is gonna be more evident as time passes by,I mean look at Endless ocean for example. Its a game mostly based on graphical enjoyment,yet it looks like CRAP. The only thing the Wii needs is more power. Nintendo has the upper hand at this moment,but if they dont realize that the clock is ticking until the "new audience" they just won start to realize that games look a million times better in other consoles,theyre screwed. The motion sensing amusement is not gonna last forever,and since Nintendo is pocket-full with $ and probably their pockets will explode with games like Brawl, why not come up with a little tune up for the Wii? I can envision a Wii that runs 720p. Same console,just more horsepower. Ok,ok, a lot of people will be pissed off cuz they have to change to the newer version eventually,but people with Wiis can get a trade promotion for the Wii elite. If i were in Iwata´s position, i wouldnt think twice on it. That way they would EXTERMINATE competition. When a console is successful, people is willing to buy anything they throw at them,PS2 slim great example. What do you think?fon1988

TC, I can't believe you said Endless Ocean looks like crap. You must be blind, or just in denial that Wii is improving on gameplay and graphics and is the best selling system on the market. I own both Xbox360 and the Wii and with the first batch of Wii games such as Zelda, Red Steel, Excite Truck andSonic, they looked as though they could easily be played on the last gen consoles. Games such as Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Endless Ocean and Metroid have already proven that the Wii is more than capable of improved graphics.

So for people who say that the Wii is nothing but a Gamecube with different controls can finally shut up. Saying Endless Ocean looks like crap isn't an opinion, it's an ignorant statment. I've played Bioshock, Gears of War and countless other 360 games so I know what Im talking about. I've also played Metroid and have seen loads of gameplay videos for Brawl, Galaxy and Endless Ocean and I know the graphics look amazing. Mario Galaxy looks suprisingly close to anything found on the 360 and thats a fact.

Now as for the rest of your post, saying that the motion sensing "amusement" wont last forever is a blind statement because obvioulsy it's done a great job so far. People made the exact same assumption with the DS, saying that the touch screen will be old news soon, but guess what, its the top selling game deck in the world right now. The Wii looks as though it's going down that exact same path. And you must be ignorant but they never have "revamped" a gameboy for more power. There was the original Gameboy, big and bulky. So they decided to make the Gameboy Pocket. Then after that, they made the gameboy color. Still no more power than before. Next game the Gameboy Advance, a compleltly NEW system with upgrades. Then they made the SP with a better design and a lighted screen, nope don't see anymore power here. Then they made the DS with a similar design to the SP, just bigger with two screens. They wanted a slimmer and better design so now we have the DS lite. Not one of these gameboys has ever acquired more "power" than it's previous one. They made a new, seperate system with upgrades, just like they did with consoles.

And finally, it's sad to see that gamers like you are more worried about the way their games look than how they play. The game Elebits looks like a gamecube game, yet it's one of my favorite games I've played in a long time, why? Because it was just plain fun. Why aren't games about fun anymore? You take a look at the 360, a console with mainly shooters, sports and racing games and see the games look amazing so you buy it. Instead of looking at what the Wii has to offer, you look at the graphics and assume the 360 is the better deal. It's people like you and so many other gamers that are ruining the industry. I barely ever touch my 360 because theres just not that much going for it. You have your new first person shooter, sports and racing title that plays so much like the other countless first person shooters, sports and racing games on the system and you blindly go out and buy it because the graphics looked cool.

Oh and I doubt Nintendo would pull such an ignorant stunt and produce a Wii-Elite and piss off the millions of old and new gamers that invested into their system. The DS came out and shortly after, here comes the DS-lite. It looks cooler yeah, but I own a DS regular and I would never trade it in for a lite, simply because it's the same system, just smaller and cooler looking. And you use an "oh so fine"(sarcasm) example there too. You talk about Nintendo revamping the Wii with more horse power so that their games would look nicer, but yet you mention the PS2 Slim. Anyone that owns a normal PS2, NEVER need to buy a slim. The Slim just looks cooler and is more compact and includes a built in LAN connector.

If you have any questions or comments please tell me because I'd love to hear them.

wall o' text :0

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
If Nintendo "revamped" the Wii, it would make all the ones we already bought useless. That is a horrible idea.
Avatar image for Bliind-Guardian
Bliind-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bliind-Guardian
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

not all of us here are rich boys, and yet the graphics suck for the wii...

but a totally new wii would really piss the hell out of me like me buying a ds and in 1 month the ds lite is selling oh if they do tht to the wii i will kick nintendos butt

jeordie015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jeordie015
Member since 2004 • 181 Posts

And you must be ignorant but they never have "revamped" a gameboy for more power. There was the original Gameboy, big and bulky. So they decided to make the Gameboy Pocket. Then after that, they made the gameboy color. Still no more power than before. Next game the Gameboy Advance, a compleltly NEW system with upgrades. Then they made the SP with a better design and a lighted screen, nope don't see anymore power here. Then they made the DS with a similar design to the SP, just bigger with two screens. They wanted a slimmer and better design so now we have the DS lite. Not one of these gameboys has ever acquired more "power" than it's previous one. They made a new, seperate system with upgrades, just like they did with consoles.

fon1988
You're almost right. Game Boy Color may not have had more power, but there was enough difference that you could not play Game Boy Color games on a regular Game Boy, thus requiring regular Game Boy owners who wanted to play new Game Boy Color games to buy a Game Boy.

The DS came out and shortly after, here comes the DS-lite. It looks cooler yeah, but I own a DS regular and I would never trade it in for a lite, simply because it's the same system, just smaller and cooler looking. And you use an "oh so fine"(sarcasm) example there too. You talk about Nintendo revamping the Wii with more horse power so that their games would look nicer, but yet you mention the PS2 Slim. Anyone that owns a normal PS2, NEVER need to buy a slim. The Slim just looks cooler and is more compact and includes a built in LAN connector.

fon1988
The DS Lite is more than just a smaller and cooler looking DS. It has brighter screens, has a longer battery life, has a faster charging battery, has a bigger and more comfortable stylus, and has a better placed microphone. As for the slim PS2, the LAN connector was enough reason for me to get one. And don't forget that they changed from the automatic drive tray to the top loading snap in method of loading games. And that helps keep those disc read errors from happning.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
Ps2 slim or ds lite are in no way more powerful than ps2 or ds. Elite isn't more powerful than xbox360 premium or core either. What you say would upset millions of wii owners and most wii owners would not buy a nintendo product again. (including me ) They wanna release and update that makes current wiis 720p capable, fine; they wanna release a new hd console at least 3 years later, that's fine as well. But not now, i would just sell my wii and wouldn't buy a nintendo product ever again.Lord_Tulak_Hord
the ps2 slim has 5 mhz faster cpu and built in net work
lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
nintendo never revamped a system only the colors like the n64 and gamecube
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Your Endless Ocean comment just proved your stupidity, the graphics for one are good looking, but that's not the thing, no, it's not a game about graphical enjoyment, it's about the environment, ever played shadow of the colossus? that's got ps2 graphics but the environments are amazingly well made and designed and this makes the game look amazing, not how powerful the graphics engine is, blue dragon for example on 360 had awesome graphics but was criticized for its empty and boring environments.
MatrixSpidey92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MatrixSpidey92
Member since 2004 • 165 Posts
Exactly, Gamers dont want to pop ballons and clip on ties for daddy to goto work monday minigames for 50 bucks, we want hardcore gunplay, gore, blood, slashing combos and wii driven storyline. The wii needs someone to kick the can and get up and yell, HEY! We should be making these "games" for GAMERS.
tylerrodney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tylerrodney
Member since 2003 • 65 Posts

Just keep in ind when you talk about games looking bad that it's not really the systems fault at all.

XBox games are built like PC games, and obviously microsoft is very good at that. Now you look at the wii and ps2, alll their games must be built from scratch, so what happens? the developers build a ps2 game and port it on the wii to save time and effort. It is very annoying knowing that the wii system is capable of much much better. People must learn to be patiant, look at metroid prime 3, I would be shocked to hear anybody say that it is a bad looking game. Nintendo knows what they are doing, they have been around longer than anyone else when it comes to consoles. And never ever ever base a systems performance on a single game.

blehbeast1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 blehbeast1234
Member since 2004 • 224 Posts

I agree with you and at the same time, I really don't

See, the Wii's games, some have ugly-ass graphics, while some have beautfiul graphics. For example, Ugly Graphics: Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Call of Duty 3, Fifa 08, and other games

Really Good Graphics: Metroid Prime 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Excite Truck, Medal of Honor Vanguard.

So it's kinda split down the middle. Developers just need to develop better graphic engines and put more time into making graphics.

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

nintendo never revamped a system only the colors like the n64 and gamecubelolag

Not exactly. In Japan, Nintendo and Panasonic released the Panasonic Q. It was the GameCube that could read DVD. It sold poorly so it was discountinued around 2003-2004.

As for a Wii Elite, I don't think it will come. Nintendo isn't stupid to bring something like that in 1 year. They are not stupid like Microsoft or Sony with their stupid different SKU. IMO, both companies are laughing at people with this kind of marketing. The only thing that Microsoft didn't release is a 360 with a HD-DVD player in the box maybe the Elite 2 will have this. Sony announced that they already discountinued the 20 GB and now it's the 60 GB that will be discountinued. When will the 80 GBbe discountinued?

chansaet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 chansaet
Member since 2003 • 6280 Posts
Ds light was not that big of a change at all. Same processor and graphics card. ONly thing was brighter and thinner. Now a wii expanision pack (like a HD scaler where it scales all games to 720p or 1080i) would be nice
NK_Nighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NK_Nighthawk
Member since 2007 • 3369 Posts
I think they should do it, then the competition wont have anything on the wii. But instead of making all of the already wii owners throw it out the window and buy a new one, why not just do a trade in sort of thing, like you trade in your wii and $50 and get a new one. Meh
Avatar image for 195376358372165102514183220412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 195376358372165102514183220412
Member since 2003 • 492 Posts

The topic creator doesn't realize that developers are told by their superiors to finish their games YESTERDAY in order to cash in on the Wii's success, and the quickest route for them to maximize profit and minimize cost is for them to simply port PS2 releases over to the Wii ("which the Wii can run in it's sleep" as quoted by Metaldave of the Next Generation blog) and add in a few dozen lines of code so the software can respond to the Wiimote and Nunchuck. With such an attitude toward multi platform game design, it's no wonder that third-party Wii titles (until recently) have been vastly inferior to offerings on the other consoles.

As previously stated by another GS member, everyone expects a Xbox 360 to look almost perfect - after all, to design a game quickly yet look visually appealing, all a developer has to know is Direct X 9.0c and 10. Because the tools rely on PC architectures a 360 title can easily fulfill gamers' visual expectations. For the PS3 many developers simply port the code over to the PS3 and make modifications so that the game could simply run on the PS3's chipset, because true utilization of the PS3 architecture costs TIME and MONEY. For the Wii, developers can't expect to port 360 or PS3 code directly to it, so instead of taking the time or dividing the development house to dedicate time to fully unlocking the Hollywood/Broadway/1T-SRAM/TEV (texture enhancement unit), they simply take the quickest route, which is port over PS2 code. It's unfair to Wii gamers, but development houses assume that because Wii owners don't care AT ALL what the graphics look like and they (the development house) want to cash in on the Wii's market expansion, they do it anyway.

Just recently we are starting to see several development houses publish shareware development libraries, and Epic has recently developed an Unreal engine to license for Wii development. Developers and publishers have even come forward stating that they had misjudged the Wii as a throwaway console and were proven wrong, thus they will devote more time to development. Based on everything stated above, a re-release of the Wii is NOT the answer, in fact it would have the adverse effect on the 10-12 million owners of the current SKU.

ssc0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ssc0n
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
I didnt buy the Wii for graphics so Im cool if Nintendo never makes a more powerful version. But if it wont cost much to switch, It would be nice.
foola12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 foola12
Member since 2005 • 2242 Posts
[QUOTE="fon1988"]

[QUOTE="bror_jace"]Heres the deal, recently played Bioshock a little bit and think its awesome. Made me think...Nintendo has revamped the gameboy several times and even the DS got a remake after just one year or something. We can safely say that DS lite is totally superior to the Phat,no one complained,everyone got one. The Wii has proven itself to be a winner as well,but for how long? Art direction has its limits without technology, and no matter how much they try, the gap between Wii and 360 is gonna be more evident as time passes by,I mean look at Endless ocean for example. Its a game mostly based on graphical enjoyment,yet it looks like CRAP. The only thing the Wii needs is more power. Nintendo has the upper hand at this moment,but if they dont realize that the clock is ticking until the "new audience" they just won start to realize that games look a million times better in other consoles,theyre screwed. The motion sensing amusement is not gonna last forever,and since Nintendo is pocket-full with $ and probably their pockets will explode with games like Brawl, why not come up with a little tune up for the Wii? I can envision a Wii that runs 720p. Same console,just more horsepower. Ok,ok, a lot of people will be pissed off cuz they have to change to the newer version eventually,but people with Wiis can get a trade promotion for the Wii elite. If i were in Iwata´s position, i wouldnt think twice on it. That way they would EXTERMINATE competition. When a console is successful, people is willing to buy anything they throw at them,PS2 slim great example. What do you think?L00pey

wall o' text :0

Wall-o-text is the TC not the guy that quoted the TC.. How could the second guy even be bothered to type all that?