Heroes of Ruin Release Thread - (Info, Pics, Vids & Reviews)

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

I would buy DLC in a second and honestly would probably buy it even if it was just more of the same. There's a lot to complain about but when you get right down to it the game is still fun to play, which I think says a lot about what they did right--and I haven't even tried online yet.

Euaggelistes

Fun. The magic ingredient that a lot of people miss in games that are not mega blockbusters. This game has fun in spades.

Indeed.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#52 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I have to say, even though I have not been challenged by anything (except figuring out one particular boss had an insta-kill attack) in many, many hours but I'm still happily plugging through to the end of the game. The lack of difficulty is probably going to hurt replayability for me though, I must admit, unless it is signifigantly harder w/ classes other than Vindicator. I'm actually kind of thinking it might be fun to go for speed runs.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

Are you guys/gals able to link your account to the website. I still cant get mine to work (Still says im not logged in, when I clearly am). Ive been on the offical site forums and it seems to be a pretty common problem, but nobody at n-space is responding to it. Hopefully their fixing it, cuz I want to be able to keep track of all my stats and get the extra quests.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I can log into my account just fine. Did it just now to check.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 logicalfrank

Just finished up my first playthrough last night. How long did it take everyone? Took me about eleven hours to 100% completiong, which wasn't difficult at all. I want more but I guess I will just have to satisfy myself w/ playing through w/ the other characters. I think I could beat it in six on my next playthrough. The story for the end part of the game is awesome! They hint at a sequel but what game doesn't...

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
Having a higher difficulty setting would have done wonders for this game.
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

After having played Heroes of Ruin for nearly 17 hours now (still on my first playthrough) I've got to say that I love this game. It's clear that a lot of love and care has been put into this game, the world of Heroes of Ruin and the environments within it are all nicely detailed.

The gameplay is fun and simple with some nice elements thrown in to keep it from getting too stale -- early on it feels like a standard mash-and-bash affair, but later on they begin to send groups of enemies that have stat lowering or defensive bonuses while attacking you as a group, and in some groups there are 'leaders' who are completely invincible and deal extra damage until you kill all the of the enemies nearby. And then there are the mini-bosses who have a large amount of health and deal a ton of damage, and they usually show up with a group of normal enemies that have special abilities like the ones I just mentioned.

Controls are simple so it shouldn't take anyone very long to learn how to quickly sell or equip new items, or map new skills to the face buttons.

Multiplayer and voice chat work wonderfully. It's easy to join a game session with a friend or random player; while scrolling through the lobby you'll see the chapter they're on and the quest that they're currently trying to complete, there's even a filter button to search for players that are on (or near) the same main quest as you, so that you're not forced to spoil events in the story if you want to play with others. While I played with others using voice chat the sound always came through clear, but I played with headphones on so I can't say much about the sound quality from the system itself.

Heroes of Ruin definitely has some rough edges, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best multiplayer action RPGs on the system.

I have to say, even though I have not been challenged by anything (except figuring out one particular boss had an insta-kill attack) in many, many hours but I'm still happily plugging through to the end of the game. The lack of difficulty is probably going to hurt replayability for me though, I must admit, unless it is signifigantly harder w/ classes other than Vindicator. I'm actually kind of thinking it might be fun to go for speed runs.

logicalfrank

Having a higher difficulty setting would have done wonders for this game.loco145

It is VERY easy to make this game harder just by doing a few simple things.

When you level up you get 1 skill point (to purchase a new skill or upgrade one you already have) and 3 stat points to boost your attributes (Health, Mana and Regeneration), so by simply not boosting your attributes or upgrading skills that you've already unlocked you'll make the game harder than it normally is -- especially once you get to the harder dungeons. If you'd still like more of a challenge try completing dungeons with the weakest items you can. But I wouldn't suggest doing that if it's your first playthrough, unless you think it's too easy.

A friend of mine who was playing as a level 21 Alchitect hadn't raised his stats at all, we both went into one of the later dungeons and he died regularly. Even though he had come into the level with good equipment and a bag full of health potions, it didn't take very long for the enemies to force him to use them all.

Avatar image for superfalcon1234
superfalcon1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 superfalcon1234
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

i just got this game .... but i dont know how to get the daily challenges ??? do i have to make an account to play them?

dsrules13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 dsrules13
Member since 2010 • 1624 Posts

i just got this game .... but i dont know how to get the daily challenges ??? do i have to make an account to play them?

superfalcon1234

Yes, you must create an account on the Heroes of Ruin website and then link up your 3DS. There are instructions on the site.

superfalcon1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 superfalcon1234

[QUOTE="superfalcon1234"]

dsrules13

Yes, you must create an account on the Heroes of Ruin website and then link up your 3DS. There are instructions on the site.

eeeeh so i cant play the challenges offline -_-

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 logicalfrank

I think you just need to be online to get the challenges. I make progress on mine even in the single player game.

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 JollyGreenOne

superfalcon1234

No, you don't need an account to receive or complete the daily challenges. Just leave your 3DS on in Sleep Mode and it should download them automatically if you have SpotPass turned on within the game's options menu. I've been getting new daily challenges for a while now, and I haven't linked my game to the website.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

JollyGreenOne

No, you don't need an account to receive or complete the daily challenges. Just leave your 3DS on in Sleep Mode and it should download them automatically if you have SpotPass turned on within the game's options menu. I've been getting new daily challenges for a while now, and I haven't linked my game to the website.

Have you been getting your daily challenges via spotpass, or by playing with randoms online? Playing with people who are linked is how I've been getting my dailies.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LJChronx

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]

El_Zo1212o

Have you been getting your daily challenges via spotpass, or by playing with randoms online? Playing with people who are linked is how I've been getting my dailies.

Hmmm... I dont know. I assumed mine were coming in via Spotpass, but I do play with randoms online alot. Mine is not linked either, cuz it doesnt work for me on the the heroes of ruin website.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJChronx

Strike that, im now LINKED!! Finally!!! I didnt even have to create new accounts on either website. I went to the Square site and logged in. Then clicked on Heroes of Ruin in the games section, and then followed the link to the Heroes of Ruin website. Sadly it did not keep me logged in, so I thought I was doomed again. But, I logged in to the heroes site anyway and it let me link my game. The QR picture and code finally popped up. I swear I tried this exact technique a few times before, but it didnt work. Well it did this time. Finally!!! Its pretty damn cool. Keeps track of all your stats, achievements, and daily/weekly challenges. Now to finally get back to gaming! Woot!

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 El_Zo1212o
Thanks for the heads up, Chronx! Looks like they've finally worked out the bugs on the site, and now I'm linked, too.
superfalcon1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 superfalcon1234

i just finished the game in 9:03 hours ...... but i still didn't try it online xD ..... i think playing as a gunslinger made the game too easy :P

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 logicalfrank

i just finished the game in 9:03 hours ...... but i still didn't try it online xD ..... i think playing as a gunslinger made the game too easy :P

superfalcon1234

It's pretty easy on all character classes. You can make it tougher on yourself if you want a challenge (see JollyGreenOne's earlier post) but, esp. if you complete most of the sidequests early on, it's quite easy and that is pretty much people's biggest complaint about it. Fun though. I am still happily playing through w/ the character classes I have not completed it w/ yet even though it's not much of a challenge.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJChronx

Thanks for the heads up, Chronx! Looks like they've finally worked out the bugs on the site, and now I'm linked, too.El_Zo1212o

Right on Zorro. Jolly, you should link up yours too. Your in my alliance.;)

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 logicalfrank

Can you link up w/ people through the website? I am always too lazy to punch in people's friend codes and hence play w/ strangers rather than my fellow GameSpotters...

t is a series weakness (for all games) in the system that you have to do it through the 3DS interface which frankly just has no real good inputs for texts. Nicer if you could hook up on the regualar, vanilla internet for online play on the 3DS.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 El_Zo1212o

Can you link up w/ people through the website? I am always too lazy to punch in people's friend codes and hence play w/ strangers rather than my fellow GameSpotters...

t is a series weakness (for all games) in the system that you have to do it through the 3DS interface which frankly just has no real good inputs for texts. Nicer if you could hook up on the regualar, vanilla internet for online play on the 3DS.

logicalfrank
Better a one time hassle than the 'each an every game' hassle you had to go through on the DS. Otherwise, you can note the names of good players(and maybe look for familiar names from the forums here) when you scan through the names on the Join Game lobby. But really, I've found that entering FCs isn't nearly the hassle it seems to be. The hardest part about making friends online is that no one ever seems to know their own friend codes(GUILTY). I'll tell you, though, playing with friends(in your alliance) is very worth it. Me and Jolly played together for like 4 hours(I was the Alchitect he mentioned earlier), and our alliance rank improved to the point where I was getting something like 80% when I used HP/MP potions.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 LJChronx

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

El_Zo1212o

Better a one time hassle than the 'each an every game' hassle you had to go through on the DS. Otherwise, you can note the names of good players(and maybe look for familiar names from the forums here) when you scan through the names on the Join Game lobby. But really, I've found that entering FCs isn't nearly the hassle it seems to be. The hardest part about making friends online is that no one ever seems to know their own friend codes(GUILTY). I'll tell you, though, playing with friends(in your alliance) is very worth it. Me and Jolly played together for like 4 hours(I was the Alchitect he mentioned earlier), and our alliance rank improved to the point where I was getting something like 80% when I used HP/MP potions.

How does the alliance rank work? I know you get some kind of bonuses when you play with the same player repeatedly, but how exactly does it work?

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 JollyGreenOne

Thanks for the heads up, LJ! I've been visiting the official website since last year, but I lost access to original account a few weeks ago. So I'm glad that it seems like they finally solved the problem. I logged on a few days ago and linked everything up, so I'm good to go!

I like how it keeps track of stats that you don't normally see in the game, and now I kind of understand why they set the gold limit so low.

My user name is JollyGreenOne over there if you want to check out my stats.

Have you been getting your daily challenges via spotpass, or by playing with randoms online? Playing with people who are linked is how I've been getting my dailies.El_Zo1212o
I've been getting mine through SpotPass, I normally jump into solo mode before going online and the newest daily challenges are already there.

How does the alliance rank work? I know you get some kind of bonuses when you play with the same player repeatedly, but how exactly does it work?

LJChronx

From what I can tell the alliance grows based on how long you've played with a friend and how well you cooperate with each other. Like say; if you stay close to your friend and use skills that boost their stats your alliance meter should grow faster than if you decided to split off from each other.

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJChronx

Thanks for the heads up, LJ! I've been visiting the official website since last year, but I lost access to original account a few weeks ago. So I'm glad that it seems like they finally solved the problem. I logged on a few days ago and linked everything up, so I'm good to go!

I like how it keeps track of stats that you don't normally see in the game, and now I kind of understand why they set the gold limit so low.

My user name is JollyGreenOne over there if you want to check out my stats.

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Have you been getting your daily challenges via spotpass, or by playing with randoms online? Playing with people who are linked is how I've been getting my dailies.JollyGreenOne

I've been getting mine through SpotPass, I normally jump into solo mode before going online and the newest daily challenges are already there.

LJChronx

From what I can tell the alliance grows based on how long you've played with a friend and how well you cooperate with each other. Like say; if you stay close to your friend and use skills that boost their stats your alliance meter should grow faster than if you decided to split off from each other.

What benifits do you get when your alliance meter grows?

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 LJChronx

Nevermind Jolly. I figured it out. You really get some cool bonuses if you play in an alliance all the time online. Pretty neat addition.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 El_Zo1212o

Nevermind Jolly. I figured it out. You really get some cool bonuses if you play in an alliance all the time online. Pretty neat addition.

LJChronx
Hey, Chronx? Jolly? I've got 2 free hours right now if you're online and watching this thread.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LJChronx

[QUOTE="LJChronx"]

El_Zo1212o

Hey, Chronx? Jolly? I've got 2 free hours right now if you're online and watching this thread.

Damn. Sorry I missed it. Im on GS Forums alot while im at the office (Yeah I know, kind of a slacker), but rarely get on while im at home. Maybe we could schedule something together? I live in CA so I am on pacific time. I can play tonight after 5 pacific time if anyone wants to.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Quick question about currency in this game. When I first started playing it seemed like I never had enough money to purchase the gear I wanted. Now at level thirteen I have all of the gear I want and a ton of money with nothing to spend it on. Is this a common problem or should I expect some more gear to be for sale later in the game?

LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJChronx

Quick question about currency in this game. When I first started playing it seemed like I never had enough money to purchase the gear I wanted. Now at level thirteen I have all of the gear I want and a ton of money with nothing to spend it on. Is this a common problem or should I expect some more gear to be for sale later in the game?

Euaggelistes

Common problem. Hope for an update in the future...

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 logicalfrank

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

LJChronx

Common problem. Hope for an update in the future...

And what's worse is the gold is capped at 100K. Eventually you have to either start leaving gear behind and just buying random garbage to waste money. There is nothing more annoying than finding something you want to equip straight-away and not being able to because you're carrying everything you can and have the limit of gold already....