Help.. Will this HDD work with the wiiu?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

young_link511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 young_link511
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B005J7YA3W I found this one lying around in my house, would it work? I don't no anything about HDD's
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
That is USB powered. It may work but nintendo recommends a hard drive with external power source not USB powered
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
This may be asking a lot, but I am so confused about this HDD thing, can anyone give me a link to an HDD that works with Wii U but is under 1 TB.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I cant give you a link, but what I can tell you is this;

The Wii U is compatible with most external hard drives and flash drives (though Nintendo says you should go with hard drives). To ensure that you get the best memory storage possibly, Nintendo reccomends HDDs that are USB 2.0 (though 3.0 will work, but Nintendo says that they cant ganruntie that the hard drive will work properly) that are powered via double usb or by an outlet in the wall.

waldo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waldo6
Member since 2004 • 122 Posts

Im using a Internal Hard Drive (750gb) from my old PC with an External Enclosure (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182155). Everything is working perfect so far andit was super cheap (20$). Internal Hard Drives are super cheap, you can get a 500gb for 50 to 60 bucks.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I can't give you a link, but what I can tell you is this;

The Wii U is compatible with most external hard drives and flash drives (though Nintendo says you should go with hard drives). To ensure that you get the best memory storage possibly, Nintendo recommends HDDs that are USB 2.0 (though 3.0 will work, but Nintendo says that they can't guarantee that the hard drive will work properly) that are powered via double usb or by an outlet in the wall.

Gamingclone

When you talk about "double USB" you are talking about the Y cable. It looks like this:

toshiba-usb-y-cable-ba82010-300.gif

This is needed for those of us who have external hard drives, but they run on USB power.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

I can't give you a link, but what I can tell you is this;

The Wii U is compatible with most external hard drives and flash drives (though Nintendo says you should go with hard drives). To ensure that you get the best memory storage possibly, Nintendo recommends HDDs that are USB 2.0 (though 3.0 will work, but Nintendo says that they can't guarantee that the hard drive will work properly) that are powered via double usb or by an outlet in the wall.

thom_maytees

When you talk about "double USB" you are talking about the Y cable. It looks like this:

toshiba-usb-y-cable-ba82010-300.gif

This is needed for those of us who have external hard drives, but they run on USB power.

Yes.