HELP! What games/order should I play for the Zelda series?

Pharoahogc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pharoahogc1
Member since 2004 • 174 Posts

Ok I've only played Zelda OoT and Majoras Mask, and some of wind waker. And that was when they were released,I loved those games. But after that I kinda drifted from Nintendo and mainly played on my other systems. Now with all the talk about the new Zelda wii U/ NX I have gotten interested in getting back to the series, so my question is what games should I play? I've played the classic nes for a little but i dont really want to play something that old right now, so something more relevant that has aged good.

Also, bonus question I really want to play OoT again but I dont have a 3ds which has the remastered version, But the wii U has the orginal version, is it worth playing the remastered for someone who doesn't like handhelds or should i play the wii u version?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Pharoahogc1: Id play Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword. Then after those, you can play ones on your Wii U Gamepad or TV via Virtual Console since your not as interested in the 3DS yet.

Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword would be the most relevant as those will be what most compare the new game to. Also before the game releases, everyone will be talking about those two games.

As for the OoT original vs the new one, i think its best for you to rock the Wii U one. If you dont have a 3DS and arent into portable gaming too much, no need in buying a 3DS just to try. Now if you get a 3DS on cheap, try that beast out, you might can use it to your advantage.

Pharoahogc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pharoahogc1
Member since 2004 • 174 Posts

@iandizion713: sounds good man thanks for the info I think I'll get twilight princess now and play it :-) and as far as 3ds I just might get one but after I play twilight and wind waker, and thats good because maybe I could play the remaster on NX anyway, well hopefully lol.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

You could always try them in order, but as far as the games that are absolute must plays, I'd say OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, the Oracle games, Link's awakening, Link to the Past, and Spirit Tracks are what you should check out if you have no other options.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

I would play all of them, save for the CD-i titles, etc. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to play the original, but I suppose you can just skip the ones you deem to be old despite the fact that they are some of the greatest video games ever made. Your loss.

The 3DS version of OOT was great, but if you don't have a 3DS and you've already played the game, I'm not sure it's worth buying a 3DS just for that when you can just replay it on VC.

Alternatively, you could pick up a used, old school DS (the ones with the GB/GBA slot), on the cheap which would give you access to:

• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening/DX
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords
  • The Legend of Zelda (Classic NES Series)
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Classic NES Series)

With the WiiU alone though you have access to quite a few games

• The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker/HD
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/HD
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Link's Crossbow Training
  • Hyrule Warriors

I guess if I wasn't going to try to play them all in some kind of order, and I had the same options you did, I'd start with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 Nintendo4evar
Member since 2016 • 197 Posts

@Pharoahogc1: I really recommend ALTTP, you will be blown away by the graphics that stood the test of time, the incredible music and the well-thought-out dungeons!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think the Gameboy Color ones were my favorites, honestly. Link's Awakening DX and Oracle of Ages and Seasons.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'd recommend getting a 3DS (maybe a 2DS on the cheap). That's an awesome Zelda machine.

• OoT 3D
  • MM 3D
  • ALBW
  • TFH
  • Zelda 1 (VC)
  • Zelda 2 (VC)
  • Minish Cap (VC)
  • Oracle of Ages (VC)
  • Oracle of Seasons (VC)
  • LA DX (VC)
  • ALttP (VC, only on *New* 3DS)

I'd highly recommend starting with A Link to the Past and OoT. Since ALttP isn't on 3DS (well, it's on *New* 3DS if you get it), the next best thing is ALBW. Where you move from there doesn't really matter. The only thing I'd recommend you stay away from are the two DS games (PH and ST) until you've played a lot of the other Zelda games. Once you're running out of new Zelda games to play, consider picking those up.