Haven't played a portable since GBA, help me out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WeaponMasterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 WeaponMasterX
Member since 2004 • 893 Posts

Hey! I very recently decided to get myself a 3DS, as the topic title says I haven't been active on the gaming front for a while and I'd really appreciate some recommendations about games I've might have missed. So far I've bought:

• Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (had to get this ofc)
  • Advance wars Dual strike (big fan of the series on gba)
  • Chrono trigger (accidental discovery when I was buying advance wars, seems good as I love rpgs)
  • Mario and luigi: bowsers inside story (Good rating on here and I really enjoyed superstar saga)
  • GTA Chinatown wars (rated very highly on here and got it with a huge local discount)

As you see most of the games are DS games, any 3DS recommendations, or more DS games that should not be missed what-so-ever?

Another series I really enjoyed on the GBA was Golden Sun, anything like that would be really appreciated:)

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Resident Evil Revelations, Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (if you didn't play RE1), and Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (If you didn't play MGS3) in action games. RPGs is a tough choice since there are few good RPGs on either. I recommend The World Ends With You for DS. Ridge Racer 3D in the racing genre. Rayman 3D in the platformers. Hope I helped :)
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Here are some games I recommend:

DS games:

• Final Fantasy 3&4
  • All the Dragon Quest games
  • Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
  • Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Pokemon Black/White
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in time
  • Both Truma Center games
  • Sonic Rush
  • Sonic Colors

3DS games:

• Resident Evil: Revelations
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Dead or Alive: Dimensions
  • Super Mario 3D Land
MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I don't know what Spinnerweb is talking about, the DS is loaded with quality RPG games. And the 3DS is looking like it'll follow suit. If you love RPGs, I'd reccommend Disgaea DS, Suikoden Tierkreis, and any of the Dragon Quest games, including the Dragon Quest Monsters side-series. Final Fantasy III and VI (going with the real numbers here, not the international ones) were remade for DS and those are both fantastic if you haven't played either. There's also Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light which is pretty good. And of course, there's always Pokemon. I hear the Shin Megami Tensei games are good, there's a few of those between 3DS/DS. Tales of the Abbyss was just ported too long ago to 3DS, supposed to be a PS2 classic.

Also, there is a Golden Sun game for DS. I've never played any in the series. I heard it's not quite as good as the GBA ones, but I'm sure a fan would like it. It got good reviews everywhere.

Apart from RPGs I'll also suggest Super Mario 3D Land. That has a boatload of levels and can be played in quick little bursts. Worth the money twice over. Animal Crossing Wild World is a lot of fun and you can sink hours into that easily.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34540 Posts
I can highly recommend Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and RE: Revelations. Newly released Kid Icarus looks great as well.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
pokemon diamond/black mario kart 7 mario land 3d professor layton (any of em) if you dont mind hand cramps (lol) metroid prime hunters
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
3DS Tales of the Abyss Super Mario 3D Land Mario Kart 7 DS Final Fantasy III Final Fantasy IV Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Professor Layton & The Curious Village Professor Layton & Pandora's Box (I think it has a different name in the US) Professor Layton & The Lost Future Professor Layton & The Specters Call (again, might have a different name in the US) Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time Pokemon Platinum Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver Pokemon Black/White
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the 3 DS Castlevanias- Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. Beyond that, I always liked CoD4(a bit primitive graphically, but still a blast to play), Assassin's Creed 2: Discovery, and Glory Days 2(a fantastic mix of action and RT strategy). On the 3DS front, some of my favorites are Samurai Warriors Chronicles(a massive amount of content), DoA: Dimensions(a fantastic fighter with a surprisingly simple combat system), and Captain America: Super Soldier(not nearly as good as the HD console version, but a solid action-platformer nonetheless.)
Truvietplaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Truvietplaya
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts

3DS

Resident Evil Revelations

Mario Kart 7

Mario 3d Land

Kid Icarus

Shin Megami Tensei

Tales of the Abyss

Spirit Camera coming in April ( if you liked Fatal Frame on PS2 )

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8842 Posts
If you want another good DS RPG, Radiant Historia might be fun for you. People have said good things about it.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Hey! I very recently decided to get myself a 3DS, as the topic title says I haven't been active on the gaming front for a while and I'd really appreciate some recommendations about games I've might have missed. So far I've bought:

• Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (had to get this ofc)
  • Advance wars Dual strike (big fan of the series on gba)
  • Chrono trigger (accidental discovery when I was buying advance wars, seems good as I love rpgs)
  • Mario and luigi: bowsers inside story (Good rating on here and I really enjoyed superstar saga)
  • GTA Chinatown wars (rated very highly on here and got it with a huge local discount)

As you see most of the games are DS games, any 3DS recommendations, or more DS games that should not be missed what-so-ever?

Another series I really enjoyed on the GBA was Golden Sun, anything like that would be really appreciated:)

WeaponMasterX

I can reccomend Chrono Trigger, Mario and Luigi and Zelda. Other games I haven't played.

Also consider these games for RPG's

One of the Pokemons (duh)'

Dragon Quest V, Vi and IX (have yet to play V and VI, they're in the back log, but apparently they are way better than IV) IX is amazing.

Final Fantasy IV (Apparently much tougher than the other versions, which I can see. The game is very tough if you don't know what you're doing.)

Radiant Historia- A perfect mix of old and new, with an amazing story soundtrack and battle system. One of my all time favorites.

Knights in the Nightmare- Read up on the gameplay first. It's a mix between Strategy, RTS and bullet hell. Really, read up on it, decide if it's for you. If you give it a chance, you'll likely love the game. I was mildly interested in it and it's now my favorite game of the generation. The story is the best part.

Also some other recs

Zelda Spirit Tracks- I liked it a lot better than Phantom Hourglass since the "central" dungeon doesn't repeat itself. Also there are more sidequests, collectibles and fun things to do. All around better game. And it still feels very open despite the fact that you're on a train.

The Castlevania Trilogy- fun action, Metroid esque games. You can't go wrong with any of them, but this is the order of how much I like them. Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin. Like I said they're all great, this happens to be my personal preference. If you're going to play dawn of Sorrow, I reccomend playing Aria of Sorrow on GBA first. Dawn is a direct sequel.

New Super Mario Brothers- just good Mario fun.

Kirby Super Star Ultra- a good variety of modes to choose from, as well as some really difficult challenges if you like them.

Super Scribblenauts- Awesome puzzle game. Also, one of the best ever level editors. When you get a level to work just right, it's unlike anything else. also fixes the control issues of the first and does away with Action Levels. (Until the last few worlds which are all action levels.) Will last a good long time.

Solatorobo: Red the hunter- Despite the kiddy presentation, it's a really fun game with great characters and a good story. Also, robots are always cool.

Theresia- If you like point and click, old school adventure games, Theresia is worth checking out. It's far from perfect buit the story it tells is amazing.

Super Mario 64 DS- updating a cIassic with better graphics and more content than ever. The only downside is the controls.

Lunar Knights- A fun, unique ARPG game. It can last a good while.

Mario Kart DS- my second favorite Mario Kart. It's jsut very well polished and fun.

Okamiden- if you liked Okami, you'll like this game. It's nowhere near the caliber of Okami, but it's still a good game.

That's all for now.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 turtlethetaffer

If you want another good DS RPG, Radiant Historia might be fun for you. People have said good things about it.hydralisk86

It's one of the best games I have ever played.

Just3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Just3D
Member since 2012 • 41 Posts
Got mine also with MarioKart, and Mario 3D land.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Go get Kid Icarus: Uprising right now. You will not regret it.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 El_Zo1212o
The Castlevania Trilogy- fun action, Metroid esque games. You can't go wrong with any of them, but this is the order of how much I like them. Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin. Like I said they're all great, this happens to be my personal preference. If you're going to play dawn of Sorrow, I reccomend playing Aria of Sorrow on GBA first. Dawn is a direct sequel.turtlethetaffer
If you're a fan of labrynthine action RPGs, I can't recommend Aria of Sorrow enough- sure it's two generations back, but it still stands tall as the best Castlevania game OF ALL TIME.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

RPGs is a tough choice since there are few good RPGs on either. Spinnerweb

... :o

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]The Castlevania Trilogy- fun action, Metroid esque games. You can't go wrong with any of them, but this is the order of how much I like them. Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin. Like I said they're all great, this happens to be my personal preference. If you're going to play dawn of Sorrow, I reccomend playing Aria of Sorrow on GBA first. Dawn is a direct sequel.El_Zo1212o
If you're a fan of labrynthine action RPGs, I can't recommend Aria of Sorrow enough- sure it's two generations back, but it still stands tall as the best Castlevania game OF ALL TIME.

Honestly, I agree. I like it better than Dawn, which is my second favorite. The level design, enemies... everything is so awesome. Plus, the story of Aria ain't half bad. I haven't played Symphony of the Night, so I would say my favorite is Aria.

Also, awesome music.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]The Castlevania Trilogy- fun action, Metroid esque games. You can't go wrong with any of them, but this is the order of how much I like them. Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin. Like I said they're all great, this happens to be my personal preference. If you're going to play dawn of Sorrow, I reccomend playing Aria of Sorrow on GBA first. Dawn is a direct sequel.turtlethetaffer

Honestly, I agree. I like it better than Dawn, which is my second favorite. The level design, enemies... everything is so awesome. Plus, the story of Aria ain't half bad. I haven't played Symphony of the Night, so I would say my favorite is Aria.

Also, awesome music.

I have played Symphony. The only reason Symphony could get any prestige beyond Aria is because of the superior hardware. In Aria of Sorrow, the art was better, the writing was better, the story was better... just a better game. But Symphony had smoother animation, voiced dialogue and more power to push the 3D graphics. Not to mention the nostalgia factor: SotN was long held as the best Castlevania game ever, and oftentimes people are reluctant to change their opinions in favor of newer entries. I'm also still waiting for a 3rd Sorrow game to come out and tell the story of the Battle of 1999(starring Julius Belmont, of course).
Avatar image for SkinnyJeans1995
SkinnyJeans1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SkinnyJeans1995
Member since 2010 • 275 Posts

ghost recon:shadow wars is hands down the most underrated 3DS game

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 El_Zo1212o

ghost recon:shadow wars is hands down the most underrated 3DS game

SkinnyJeans1995
Tactics games as a genre are generally underrated, I find. Ubisoft would have done better to make Shadow Wars a 3/4 view shooter(a la Killzone: Liberation(PSP)), as shooters are generally more financially viable and critically well-received(not to mention the 3DS launch lineup was completely devoid of shooters).