Has the Wii ruined any genres for you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts

I mean this in a good way: after playing certain kinds of games on the Wii, have you found yourself unable to enjoy them with traditional controls anymore?

For myself, I don't think I can ever really enjoy traditional racing or tennis games very much, thanks to Excite Truck and Wii Sports, respectively. I 've been playing the Motorstorm and Virtua Tennis 3 demos on my PS3, and though they look GORGEOUS and are definitely great games, it all just feels kind of dull and pointless pressing buttons that way.

This is what I'd always hoped the Wii would accomplish, but so far those are the only two genres I can really say that about. How about you?

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
Definitely fighting games. I like DBZ's motion controls. Now other fighting games don't seem as fun.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Pretty much all sports games. Motion-sensing introduces the factor of human motor error that simple button-pressing could never accurately replicate. Take bowling, for example. Pressing buttons to bowl is downright boring, first off, but it would be fairly simply to bowl the same way every time. In Wii Sports bowling, however, only those who practice a ton have any kind of consistency in their form, just like in real bowling.

Golf is the same way. The old power meter (pressing a button to start and stop it) made it extremely easy to get a perfect shot every time, ala Mario Golf. The analog controls of traditional Tiger Woods games mixed that up a little bit, but it was still relatively easy. But the Wii version of the game replicates a true swing close enough to even translate your natural hook or slice into your virtual swing. That's just cool. And you need to be much more careful and precise to get a good hit. If you get frustrated and carried away, you'll suck even more, just like what inevitably happens during every amateur golf player's game.

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts

Pretty much all sports games.

JordanElek

Even boxing? :P

Iorning_board

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Iorning_board
Member since 2005 • 1853 Posts

FPS, Red steel opened the door to new posibilities, the MP games were great.

Racing, I love Excite Truck and it controls so damn well...

Ohh what the hell every game for every genre I have has been a vast improvment (other than Rampage, I felt as though the movments were to sharp, I was hurting my wrists for little to no reward at all).

Zelda: TP and Monkey ball were two that really stood out and then theres the party games, man I love motion controls.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Even boxing? :PThe_Pig_Hostage

Yeah, I dominate in Wii boxing! The computer gets tough once you get to pro status, but that just makes it more fun. Once you learn how to be deliberate in every little move you make, the controls are responsive enough.

Now when a real boxing game comes out, like Fight Night or something, Wii boxing will probably be blown out of the water. And then the genre will really be ruined for anyone who touches the game. ;)

On a side note, I was fighting a girl in Wii boxing a couple of months ago. She was ducking and weaving all over the place. She was standing just to the right of me. I was punching to the right so she was dodging left, then my right fist made solid contact with the back of her head. Luckily we were both a little intoxicated so we just fell over laughing and kept punching into the air. Fun times. That's the second time in my life that I've punched a girl in the head. :(

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Sports games, and the AIMING aspect of FPS. Still, we have yet to see that great FPS on the Wii that does almost everything right. Im waiting for Prime, even though its more of a FPA, it will still feel like a FPS kinda - hopefully the aiming, story, gameplay, etc. will all come together at the end.

Another genre, i would say are party games - i cant imagine playing rayman raving rabbids on the 360.. it would be weird.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
funnily enough, button mashers, while playing pirates of the caribbean on wii i always think how boring it must be on the other consoles where all you do is press x and y, instead i get to slash them up meaning its fun. also although they haven't been that good fps's, when i go back to console fps'es they all feel so primitive...
MOM-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 MOM-D
Member since 2005 • 5222 Posts
Fighting and Adventure games
m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
FPS...well it was already ruined cuz the last FPS on a normal controller I've played was Agent under fire which came out around 2001-2002. And I played Red Steel which makes me like FPS again.
CTUTCJ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 CTUTCJ24
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
After playing Need for Speed on the Wii, I can't play racing games on anything else!
euro96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 euro96
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

FPS, went round my mates the other day and had ago on 50 cent's game and it was just so dull and boring using analogue for shooting.

Hopefully racing in the future i mean i had NFS but the controls were rubbish, excite truch is fun but no where near good enough. I want a racing game that is full of play life like GT.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Even though it may be an obvious choice,party games.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts
Definitely racing games. It feels so unnatural tilting an analog stick to turn now.
vnc20100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vnc20100
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
I can't imagine playing Trauma center with a regular controler XD
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I do not think I could go back to traditional controls in arcade racing or sports anymore (other than soccer, seeing as how it is nearly impossible to devise a way to make that work on the Wii "properly"). I want to rent Madden to see how the controls work and am looking forward to trying out a hockey game. If I can ever get a Bluetooth adapter for my PC I may start using the Wiimote/Nunchuk for some FPS's.
nely_nelson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 nely_nelson
Member since 2005 • 1193 Posts
there isnt enough games in each genre to say they are recked yet
MoodyFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 MoodyFlame
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Pig_Hostage"]Even boxing? :PJordanElek

Yeah, I dominate in Wii boxing! The computer gets tough once you get to pro status, but that just makes it more fun. Once you learn how to be deliberate in every little move you make, the controls are responsive enough.

Now when a real boxing game comes out, like Fight Night or something, Wii boxing will probably be blown out of the water. And then the genre will really be ruined for anyone who touches the game. ;)

On a side note, I was fighting a girl in Wii boxing a couple of months ago. She was ducking and weaving all over the place. She was standing just to the right of me. I was punching to the right so she was dodging left, then my right fist made solid contact with the back of her head. Luckily we were both a little intoxicated so we just fell over laughing and kept punching into the air. Fun times. That's the second time in my life that I've punched a girl in the head. :(

:lol: ROFL! Seriously, cool story, and though I have yet to buy a Wii (waiting for the stupid exams to finish), I could see that happening to me...I tried it at a friends...

zasky141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zasky141
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts
I love the Wii controls for Zelda, going back to other controls on GC just felt weird. I actually tried to shake the controler a few times. The only thing I can see beeing ruined by the Wii, on the Wii, is Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. The rail system taht makes it like an arcade game. That will butcher it for me. I play Resident Evil games for the story motly, but I miss the onld tank movent. They should bring that back, or even RE4 style. I just can't take teh whole rail thing.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

wow like almost all of them.

Fighting - down, left, right, right, up, a, b to do a special move OR hold b, swing wiimote up down. Much less annoying (I have mastered MK specials and anyone who whines it's too unreliable just sucks at it. once in 100 tries will it do a different move)

Racing - hold x press left or right OR hold 2 and turn to steer. Much better because you can turn at a much wider range (smaller turns wider turns). With a joystick it's pretty much always turn at one flat rate.

Adventure - smash b to swing sword OR flail around like a total tard to swing sword. Also in a game like Zelda holding down B to spin is something I hardly used because I usually got hit before I could finish charging but with the nunchuck thing you can instantly do it instead of waiting.

FPS - the only FPS I can play now outside the Wii are on the PC and that's not even as fun.

Party Games - self explanitory.

Sports - Press A to swing bat OR swing arm to swing bat. Much more realistic feel and certainly a lot more fun.

Platformers - there's always some nice little gimmicky thing on Wii platformers (like Mario's spin attack in SMG) which only adds to the game. I don't see Mario spinning on the N64.

so yeah I don't like playing most games without motion controls unless they are REALLY good. (Halo 3 ._.)

Avatar image for RadioactiveApeX
RadioactiveApeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 RadioactiveApeX
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts

i remember the first time i tried playing my 360 after i got my Wii it felt really awkward

dieworm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 dieworm
Member since 2004 • 6416 Posts

After playing Need for Speed on the Wii, I can't play racing games on anything else!CTUTCJ24
Same, once you master them, there's no going back.

Sports (wii sports), Pool/Billiards (play), and fishing (tp) will make me never want to play those on a non-wii console D: