Has Gamespot given up on the Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makedonijo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Makedonijo
Member since 2007 • 351 Posts
The headline on the wii news has been lego indiana jones for 1-2 weeks i dont know what is up with this we demand a change.
Corvidae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Corvidae
Member since 2003 • 4357 Posts

The headline on the wii news has been lego indiana jones for 1-2 weeks i dont know what is up with this we demand a change.Makedonijo

Well, lets face it... the Wii has had much to write about since Smash Bros. Come on, E3! Show me something special!

doctores143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#3 doctores143
Member since 2007 • 3016 Posts
Yea but what about rock band wii and wiiware?
IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts
They gave up on wii a long time ago I think, like last year I believe, but who cares? The forums are the reason I'm constantly here, I stick to gonintendo for wii news.
x_SuperMario_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 x_SuperMario_x
Member since 2008 • 1665 Posts
I gave up on GameSpot long before GameSpot gave up on the Wii. Their lack of WiiWare coverage and reviews has been nothing short of pitiful.
atoria56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 atoria56
Member since 2004 • 240 Posts
Gamspot is full of Xbox 360 fanboys and is filling up with PS3 fanboys. They act like since the Wii does not have graphics like the other two consoles that it should be considered less. How come most people don't even mention the Wii when it comes to the list of Next Gen systems (which is now Current Gen)?
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Just use IGN and GoNintendo for news.

What IGN covers in one or two days is the same amount Gamespot covers in a few weeks.

cjm23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cjm23
Member since 2007 • 910 Posts
I'll be reading up on a game on IGN, then about a week or two later, Gamespot will finally catch on. Ign and Gametrailers for reviews and news, Gamespot for forums. If GS didn't have the forums I'd be gone lol.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
xbox fanboys I would agree, but ps3 fanboys not so much. Coverage on PS3 is also lacking.
NormanOfTorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 NormanOfTorn
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts

What IGN covers in one or two days is the same amount Gamespot covers in a few weeks.

Erebyssial

Exactly, IGN has something new every few hours; Gamespot has something new about every week. The only reason I am still here at Gamespot is because I think Gamespot has better reviews then at IGN (Gamespot gives lower scores to Wii games then IGN does, so a lot of the time they are more of the deciding factor.)

IGN definitely has better game coverage then Gamespot, except for Game conventions like E3 where Gamespot is far better.

Maybe Gamespot will come to their senses and realize that there are a lot of Wii gamers here at Gamespot.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts
Gamespot gives everything a lower score than everybody else. Look at Fire Emblem. That game wasn't the greatest, but it was better than a 6. This isn't Wii related, but how can you knock off point of Gran Turismo 5 prologue for being a prologue when it says it is right on the box?
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I just logged into the forums and have looked at exactly 3 threads in the Wii section. Every single one of them has out of no where made the random statement about 360 fanboys. I really think the wii forums need to refocus back to talking about the wii. At this point I might as well just head over to the 360 side and get the full scoop for as much wii talk as I'm seeing here.

I mean honestly someone can say what do you think about Mario Kart and I can expect the reply will be "360 fanboys don't like it because they think it looks to kiddy with sub par graphics".

Just an observation I thought I would put out there.

Mastergamer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Mastergamer27
Member since 2007 • 582 Posts

Erebyssial
Exactly, I go to IGN for News, game coverage, and reviews, and GS for forums.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

The headline on the wii news has been lego indiana jones for 1-2 weeks i dont know what is up with this we demand a change.Makedonijo

What exactly do you want them to cover?

Lego Indiana Jones is the best thing new for the Wii (even though it's multi-platform) next to Boom Blox (which I've heard really good things about).

Nintendo likes to be really tight lipped about cool new things coming out tlater this year, in effect keeping everyone in the dark. Unfortunately that includes any potential new Wii owners who may be sitting on the fence undecided about what console to buy.

Do you go with the console(s) that are offering lots of amazing games later this year, or do you go with the console that is offering...who knows? They haven't let anyone know.

And don't get me wrong, I love my Wii. That's why I got Lego Indiana Jones on the Wii as opposed to another console. I just don't blame Gamespot for not advertising Wii coverage when there's nothing new to cover.

NALDOxCORE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 NALDOxCORE
Member since 2008 • 2162 Posts
I think Gamespot has acknowledged that everyone only comes here for the forums.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

For the news, I go to IGN or GoNintendo.

For the reviews, I go with IGN. Since the 10 for Tony Hawk Pro Skaters 3, GameSpot lost me in reviews.

For the forums, it's here. IGN's forums suck since you have to be an insider to quote somebody.

superdance14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 superdance14
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah... Gamespot actually cared about the Wii for a time? Where was I?
ineedmoney555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ineedmoney555
Member since 2008 • 534 Posts

you can get way more information from the forums than the wii section. I think more people should use nintendoeverything for wii news, ive found them to be even quicker than ign, though not always as expansive

gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts
They stilll havent even reviewed all of the launch wiiware games.
cjm23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cjm23

[QUOTE="Makedonijo"]The headline on the wii news has been lego indiana jones for 1-2 weeks i dont know what is up with this we demand a change.chefstubbies

Lego Indiana Jones is the best thing new for the Wii (even though it's multi-platform) next to Boom Blox (which I've heard really good things about).

Nintendo likes to be really tight lipped about cool new things coming out tlater this year, in effect keeping everyone in the dark. Unfortunately that includes any potential new Wii owners who may be sitting on the fence undecided about what console to buy.

Do you go with the console(s) that are offering lots of amazing games later this year, or do you go with the console that is offering...who knows? They haven't let anyone know.

And don't get me wrong, I love my Wii. That's why I got Lego Indiana Jones on the Wii as opposed to another console. I just don't blame Gamespot for not advertising Wii coverage when there's nothing new to cover.

Um Idk, have a look at IGN and see all the stuff they covered, then you'll get the idea.

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts
[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

[QUOTE="Makedonijo"]The headline on the wii news has been lego indiana jones for 1-2 weeks i dont know what is up with this we demand a change.cjm23

Um Idk, have a look at IGN and see all the stuff they covered, then you'll get the idea.

Well I just looked there...and obviously I must be missing something you're not. What exactly are they covering there that isn't here?

And please be more descriptive than "Idk".

cjm23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cjm23
[QUOTE="cjm23"][QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

[QUOTE="Makedonijo"]The headline on the wii news has been lego indiana jones for 1-2 weeks i dont know what is up with this we demand a change.chefstubbies

Well I just looked there...and obviously I must be missing something you're not. What exactly are they covering there that isn't here?

And please be more descriptive than "Idk".

Ok, just take a look at the Wii section on IGN. Scroll down to the Wii's update list.

They blow GS outta the water. IGN has so many exclusive hands-on articles, i.e. The Conduit, Guitar Hero 4, Madden 09, not to mention a butt-load of videos, i.e Deadly Creatures, Madden 09. GS never has hands-on exclusive articles for Wii games. Here's some examples on IGN. Madden 09, Mario Super Sluggers, COD: World at War, SimCity Creator, Deadly Creatures, Top Spin 3, and many more.

It takes GS FOREVER to put up a review of a Wii game. IGN has almost all of them the day they come out, or a couple of days after.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

Erebyssial

What he said,

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

meh GS has been going down hill IMHO at a slow rate for the last 2 years. alot of there reviews/previews just are not fun to read and thay are only barly informative. the forums well thaywould be great if not for alot of the mods/admins being jack booted forum natzies. seems like every time a realy great game comes out and gives us something fun to talk about thay make some sticky that very quickly becomes over saturated and imposable to realy get much out of. And if you make a thread thay lock it up and take away points. lameO. While troll threads seem to carry on for 2 and more pages before thay if thay step in. I love the features of GS. i like the emblem and point system ect but the people in charghe is IMHO takeing away alot of the fun. I have started to switch to IGN more and more.

As far as the qustion from the TC. i dont think its realy a matter of GS giveing up on the Wii. i Think its more to do with there not realy being a whole lot to talk about for the Wii right now. But even still i supose compaired to IGN it seems like thay are not realy tring. Not just with Ninty but iv noticed with PS3 as well. look how long after IGN it took them to get up a MGS4 review.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
Gamespot hasn't truly given up on the Wii. There just isn't anything new to talk about on the Wii. Once E3 hits the pages will be loaded.
lolag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lolag
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts
Ehh last year was bad too during this time frame. They had E3 coverage in August and early september i recall
Zombie_Eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zombie_Eric
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
What exactly would you want them to cover? The last big release was Mario Kart Wii in April and so little is known about the next wave of big releases. Meanwhile, GTA4 came out for the 360 and PS3 and Metal Gear Solid 4 came out for the PS3. So if you had all three systems, wouldn't you be neglecting the Wii a little right now, too?
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Stick to IGN.
gamerkid600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gamerkid600
Member since 2008 • 435 Posts

They stilll havent even reviewed all of the launch wiiware games.gamer6464

They didn't even review Dragon Ball Z BT3 Yet and that game came out in 2007.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
I don't think they've given up not at all. But I'm kinda sad that they aren't doing more Tournaments and Game Nights. I guess that's up to me and my union. :D
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
GameSpot as a whole is going through a rough time right now.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I'm still waiting for the freaking Blast Works Review.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Minishdriveby

I'm still waiting for the freaking Blast Works Review.Minishdriveby

GS must have heard my rant cause the review is up and they gave it a 8.0

XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts
Usually when someone brings news to the forums, its comes from IGN. IGN is up-to-date with everything before Gamspot even realized it existed. Gamespot has a lot of catching up to do
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Minishdriveby
I think they should just start stealing info from other websites.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

GameSpot as a whole is going through a rough time right now. GamerJM

Exactly. They've had random staff members and freelancers doing a large chunk of Wii reviews, mostly for VC and WiiWare stuff, until recently. The big Wii games are still handled by seasoned staff members, though, and the reviews for those are usually up in a timely manner.

IGN has so many exclusive hands-on articles, i.e. The Conduit, Guitar Hero 4, Madden 09, not to mention a butt-load of videos, i.e Deadly Creatures, Madden 09. GS never has hands-on exclusive articles for Wii games.cjm23

"Exclusive" means that only IGN has that information. You do realize that exclusive information isn't just given to them because they're cool. Gamespot has always been very cautious when it comes to accepting deals from publishers concerning editorial content, even before the whole fiasco last year. Gamespot flat-out refuses any and all offers for exclusive pre-release reviews, for example.

I've ragged on the GS editors for awhile for being pretty unsavvy when it comes to the Wii, but they almost always give respect where respect is due.

StarkJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StarkJJ
Member since 2004 • 534 Posts

A lack of games worth mentioning will do that to a site. Not talking trash..I own a Wii and am VERY FRUSTRATED with the complete lack of quality I'm seeing. I've given up on Wii until they give me a reason to care...The Conduit? That game is still soooo far away. So I guess it's "Lego Indiana Jones" for awhile...sigh.

Makedonijo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Makedonijo
Member since 2007 • 351 Posts
does anyone else find it funny the day after I posted this they changed the headline lmao
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 demontium
Member since 2008 • 380 Posts

[QUOTE="Makedonijo"]The headline on the wii news has been lego indiana jones for 1-2 weeks i dont know what is up with this we demand a change.Corvidae

Well, lets face it... the Wii has had much to write about since Smash Bros. Come on, E3! Show me something special!

thats total BS IGN has done tons

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 demontium
Member since 2008 • 380 Posts

Gamespot hasn't truly given up on the Wii. There just isn't anything new to talk about on the Wii. Once E3 hits the pages will be loaded.zaku101

thats not true

plenty has gone on look at other sites besides GS

beat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 beat89
Member since 2004 • 870 Posts
Y'all gotta remember that GS has seen a major exodus of editors recently 5 or six senior guys since November, and I don't think they've re-hired to full capacity yet. Gotta have some pity on the guys when pretty much all their good writers walked out the door. A content drought is understandable.
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

Ok, for all those arguing "There isn't much news involving the Wii right now anyway"

Some recent IGN updates:

Rock Band Review

Wario Land Dated For Europe, Nintendo's Summer Schedule

Mario Sluggers AU Hands-On

Mario Sluggers US Hands-On

Deadly Creatures Preview, 7 New Videos

5 New Mario Sluggers Videos

And lots more GS hasn't covered, including VC and WiiWare reviews.

SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
Now they are but until after E3 I betta they can't wait.
Legend-of-Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 Legend-of-Evil
Member since 2008 • 159 Posts
Meh, online ignorance, it happens
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
To have given up on the Wii it would have had to give it a chance in the first place. Which GS never did....
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#48 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts
Everyone likes to call this place "Microspot" if that's any indication.