GS Wii Party review up - flop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Nope! 8.0!

Surprised? I am, a little. :P

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Another minigame collection? :roll:

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Hm.. interesting. It looked to me like just another Mario party, except with Mii's. So yeah, I am a bit surprised.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Another minigame collection? :roll:

TheFallenDemon

"You might think that another minigame collection is the last thing your Wii library needs right now, but it'd be unfortunate if you were to dismiss Nintendo's latest offering on that basis alone."

Very first sentence of the review.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I'm afraid of Nintendo releasing it's strongest title so early in the year

There's no doubt it's the best title offered this year but Nintendo's finances ride on this game and I don't know why it's not releasing a month later

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

There's no doubt it's the best title offered this year but Nintendo's finances ride on this game and I don't know why it's not releasing a month later

Jaysonguy

More shelf time = more sales? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

nintendofreak_2

It'll be on the shelf longer but the cardboard panels at stores will be down plus the kiosks that feature the game will be replaced with other games

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Jaysonguy

Best title offered for casuals maybe.

For everyone else the best game this year will be either Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors, Goldeneye 007, Donkey Kong Country Returns or Epic Mickey. November's going to be the best month for 2010 for the Wii period, four of those five games are coming out next month. I don't think there's ever been so many great games released for the Wii in such a short period of time.

Pretty good score overall though, I plan on getting Wii Party but probly not right away, we'll see.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Minigame collections are only bad when they're shovleware. This is nintendo. They don't do shovleware.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#10 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
*flails 6 inch banner on a stick uncontrollably* ALL RIGHT GO WII PLAY :D
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

J_Ford

For everyone else the best game this year will be either Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors, Goldeneye 007, Donkey Kong Country Returns or Epic Mickey. November's going to be the best month for 2010 for the Wii period, four of those five games are coming out next month. I don't think there's ever been so many great games released for the Wii in such a short period of time.

Pretty good score overall though, I plan on getting Wii Party but probly not right away, we'll see.

And casuals are the core of the Wii so......

Those other small titles will have their fans that follow their niches but when it comes for the blockbuster of the year all Nintendo's cards ride on this title and they're letting it out awfully early

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

It'll be on the shelf longer but the cardboard panels at stores will be down plus the kiosks that feature the game will be replaced with other games

Jaysonguy

I guess. That doesn't mean they can't just start running commercials though. Nintendo has money to advertise. :P

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#13 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Those other small titles will have their fans that follow their niches but when it comes for the blockbuster of the year all Nintendo's cards ride on this title and they're letting it out awfully early

From a business perspective I would imagine that the best way to make their profits to maximum is switch the release date of Donkey Kong Country (November 21st) with Wii Party. Still, it's not going to stop Nintendo from reaching 12+ million copies easily of Wii Play easily.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#14 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

This game looks too fun for its own good. The only fact keeping me away from buying it is because my friends and I don't have too much free time to play games together anymore. :(

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Kirby, Sonic, and Donkey Kong aren't small titles, and Mickey Mouse speaks for himself. Maybe you're unaware but their franchies have all been around for over a decade, and Mickey...well, a lot longer. Even casuals are going to want one or more of these titles. Not every casual player is going to be interested in Wii Party though.

If Nintendo released Wii Party in November I doubt it'd sell very well at all, all it has to compete with this month is Kirby's Epic Yarn, so it has a good chance to get a head start. Nintendo probly knows that, that's why they're releasing Wii Party early so it has a chance to sell.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Awesome, I'm gonna get this game.

And no doubt it's gonna sell a lot. It doesn't need to be there at Christmas time to sell, the Wii series don't need a season to particularly sell well, they'll sell all year round, with long legs too.

Knight-Owl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Knight-Owl
Member since 2008 • 690 Posts

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

The only reason that most of the Wii Titled games (Wii Play, Wii Music etc) even sell so well in the first place is because people buy them as gifts because they're cheaper then most other games. I doubt that people really want the game as much as it sells, in other words not many people that have those games would if it wasn't given to them as a gift.

I don't know why you seem to think that Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors, Goldeneye or Epic Mickey are "small titles" either. NONE of those is in any way a "small title". They all have history and they all have long time fans and they'll all sell well I'm sure.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I'm not surprised. It was getting positive hand on.

Regent192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Regent192
Member since 2009 • 6789 Posts

at least it got a higher score than wii music :|

Avatar image for redlightstudios
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 redlightstudios
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

I still think it's going to bomb sales wise.

But in reality, I guess that depends on what you all consider bombing, as well as analysts and other folk that pay attention.

Do I think it will outsell CoD: Black Ops, no.Do I think it will outsell Other M or Epic Mickey, most likely. Will it outsell Anubis II, for sure.

I'm betting I'll get blasted just like I did in my thread about the title, but I just don't see this taking off like Wii Sports (granted it came with the console)or Wii Fit. I think Nintendo is pushing the limit on the casual software to the max, and I think its going to backfire just like Wii Music did.

Am I upset about my prediction, absolutely not. I actually kind've hope that it bombs to be honest. Going to school to for gaming, I completely understand that the casual market is huge (especially now), but I just don't see the edge this game has over Wii Sports to make it big time name this holiday. The only way I can see this making an outrageous amount of money is if Nintendo's marketing team thinks of some crazy way of advertising it to customers to make it must have. I just don't see that happening this time around.

Although.... I could be wrong ;P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I saw the commercial for this game and apparently you can hook up girls with this game.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

this looks much better to me than sports resort and i will be picking it up... if only for the wii remote hiding one.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KBFloYd

But in reality, I guess that depends on what you all consider bombing, as well as analysts and other folk that pay attention.

Do I think it will outsell CoD: Black Ops, no.Do I think it will outsell Other M or Epic Mickey, most likely. Will it outsell Anubis II, for sure.

I'm betting I'll get blasted just like I did in my thread about the title, but I just don't see this taking off like Wii Sports (granted it came with the console)or Wii Fit. I think Nintendo is pushing the limit on the casual software to the max, and I think its going to backfire just like Wii Music did.

Am I upset about my prediction, absolutely not. I actually kind've hope that it bombs to be honest. Going to school to for gaming, I completely understand that the casual market is huge (especially now), but I just don't see the edge this game has over Wii Sports to make it big time name this holiday. The only way I can see this making an outrageous amount of money is if Nintendo's marketing team thinks of some crazy way of advertising it to customers to make it must have. I just don't see that happening this time around.

redlightstudios

its selling really well in japan..always in the top 10 since it came out..

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

redlightstudios
Actually you couldn't be more wrong. The game is already had a million sales in Japan alone.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

There are going to sell 4 million 3DSs by the end of their fiscal year so I doubt they have little to worry about financially

Also i'd like to know what score you'd give Wii Party, based on your past reviews of Wii games.

I may rent it, it looked fun but i've got so many games to play

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
i love it. It'll probably beat mario party
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="J_Ford"]

Knight-Owl

The only reason that most of the Wii Titled games (Wii Play, Wii Music etc) even sell so well in the first place is because people buy them as gifts because they're cheaper then most other games. I doubt that people really want the game as much as it sells, in other words not many people that have those games would if it wasn't given to them as a gift.

I don't know why you seem to think that Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Sonic Colors, Goldeneye or Epic Mickey are "small titles" either. NONE of those is in any way a "small title". They all have history and they all have long time fans and they'll all sell well I'm sure.

Sorry, gonna have to disagree with you on that being the only reason that the Wii series sells well.

That may be in part, but my guess would be that when people go buy a Wii console, they need to buy a few games with it. Since the Wii series has a direct link to the console via the name, people are gonna heavily consider it. Especially when most Wii owners are wanting mini game ish games. Then bam, the Wii series is right up their ally. Same could be said for those who already own the console too and are looking for some new games.

Furthermore, people who are a bit more into the traditional* games will consider some games from the Wii series such as Wii Sports Resort (terrific game btw!) and Wii Party.

*when I say traditional, I was being a little ambiguous, I just meant games other than mini games really.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
I will probably get the game, it looks fun. The 8.0 from GS was a shocker.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
*ignores the whole discussion on sales* never been a fan of party games, so i'm skipping this one too. still, nice score
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#30 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I saw the commercial for this game and apparently you can hook up girls with this game.funsohng

That commercial was awkward beyond words.

Avatar image for redlightstudios
redlightstudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 redlightstudios
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

To those who responded to my post....

The Japanese market and the North American market are two different beasts.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]I saw the commercial for this game and apparently you can hook up girls with this game.Pierst179
That commercial was awkward beyond words.

that commercial was metaphorically critical of hardcore gamer's (i.e. non-wii gamer, anti-wii gamers) attitude towards woman, and a suggestion that Wii Party can help one to overcome such awkwardness.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KBFloYd

i bought it today... played a few of the games to see which would be best for sunday family night...

we are going to play together in a couple hours..

graphics look good lol.. better than resort.. i think :P dont have resort anymore.

i played one mini game where you had to chop a tree.. i was sitting down and no matter how hard a swing the wiimote the cpu chopped harder than me :( lol

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

Nice score, but I am wondering, I havent picked up a minigame collection in ages (not even resort) and I am thinking if I maybe should pick this up.

Edit: Really got to improve my posting speed.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS

Nice score, but I am wondering, I havent picked up a minigame collection in ages (not even resort) and I am thinking if I maybe should pick this up.

Edit: Really got to improve my posting speed.

Maroxad
you need wii sports resort. now.
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I still don't get this use of the term 'flop'. It's a business term, used to describe a product that has sold far below expectation. A game can't be considered a flop because of review scores as the game may still sell well. If it does, which in this case is likely, then it would have been a success, as aposed to a flop. Regardless of the quality of the particular game.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

Jaysonguy

:P

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Half-Way

:P

:lol:

*saves pic*