Grrr Mario Kart controls...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hoppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hoppie
Member since 2003 • 60 Posts

I love the game, and i want to play it but dammit Nintendo why don't you give me the opportunity to change the controls around!

I'm 20 years old and quite a big guy (6 foot 4) so the DS  Lite at best is difficult to hold comfortably in my hands but because of the MK controls the accelerate button is the 'A' button and so right next to the shoulder button which means i can't control it as i would want to and after just a few minutes i get cramp in my damn thumb and hand.

Does anyone else get this problem? And why the hell did Ninty give me the choice of changing the controls, would have been so difficult? I love the game but this is soo so so frustrating.

jupstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jupstar
Member since 2006 • 161 Posts
I don't have this problem..maybe because I'm 5 foot 5?!?
jacobs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jacobs06
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts
maybe you should get the phat and any grip accesories.
hoppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hoppie
maybe you should get the phat and any grip accesories.jacobs06
What exactly is the 'phat' by the way?
jacobs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jacobs06
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts
[QUOTE="jacobs06"]maybe you should get the phat and any grip accesories.hoppie
What exactly is the 'phat' by the way?

its the original ds. the bulkiness might be easier to handle.
thriftymutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 thriftymutt
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts
Ya thats why I got the phat cuz I used to play gameboy advance and I couldn't do a trick in tony hawks pro skater 3 cuz of the small controls.  And I'm not even a large fellow, I agree u should get the original ds or purchase some type of controlling device for ur lite to save money maybe.
hoppie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hoppie
[QUOTE="jacobs06"] its the original ds. the bulkiness might be easier to handle.

Ah ok, i don't think i'll do that as i like the fact that it doesn't take up much space, it's only this game anyway. It would all be fine if Ninty just allowed me to change the controls, thanks anyway guys. :)
987Darkbattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 987Darkbattler
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
It must suck to have big hands while playing the small DS
Djammal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Djammal86
Member since 2006 • 6088 Posts
I think that the controls are great for the game

*looks at avy and is going in photoshop to make it bigger :D*
parksits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 parksits
Member since 2005 • 1037 Posts
I have very long fingers and big hands too, and im fine with the controlls, maybe im used to it i don't know but I dont know what to tell you aside of trying to hold it differently maybe or something like that??? idk...
DSfanatic5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 DSfanatic5
Member since 2005 • 936 Posts

I love the game, and i want to play it but dammit Nintendo why don't you give me the opportunity to change the controls around!

I'm 20 years old and quite a big guy (6 foot 4) so the DS  Lite at best is difficult to hold comfortably in my hands but because of the MK controls the accelerate button is the 'A' button and so right next to the shoulder button which means i can't control it as i would want to and after just a few minutes i get cramp in my damn thumb and hand.

Does anyone else get this problem? And why the hell did Ninty give me the choice of changing the controls, would have been so difficult? I love the game but this is soo so so frustrating.

hoppie

If only you had been born smaller poor child.  Perhaps your hands would resist the cramp that handicaps your ability to take control.  Perhaps the fatty DS would be better suited for your Mario Kart situation.  I'm 6 foot 2, and I'm all about the fatties (more cushioning, and they cook you breakfast).  Changing controls is a luxury, but sometimes you have to take control, and become a master-ghoster, so you can beat all the newbs on MKDS.  Godspeed my fellow gamer.

tazerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tazerem
Member since 2006 • 74 Posts
I'm 6 foot 2 and I used to have a phat and said that I wouldn't change because the Lite would be too small for my hands.  But then I saw how much brighter the screen was on the Lite and I got one anyway and suprisingly, my hands actually cramp up less and I find controlling much easier with the Lite, I think this if for two reasons:

a) The Lite is obviously lighter, thus you can hold it for longer without getting sore
b) The buttons are raised a little higher on the Lite, makes them easier to press

So if you have a Lite and are still getting hand cramp really bad, maybe you should do some finger stretching or something?
speedracer216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 speedracer216
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts
i'm 6'1 and i get massive carpal tunnel every time i try to use the shoulder button too (and yes i have ds phat)
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts
[QUOTE="hoppie"]

DSfanatic5

If only you had been born smaller poor child.  Perhaps your hands would resist the cramp that handicaps your ability to take control.  Perhaps the fatty DS would be better suited for your Mario Kart situation.  I'm 6 foot 2, and I'm all about the fatties (more cushioning, and they cook you breakfast).  Changing controls is a luxury, but sometimes you have to take control, and become a master-ghoster, so you can beat all the newbs on MKDS.  Godspeed my fellow gamer.

ROFL. Too good. >_>
roan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 roan23
Member since 2005 • 1190 Posts
there's a reason nintendo make a ds lite. it for small people, and because most asian are small so they make the Lite. you in the other hand a big dude, so but the big DS.
especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts
there's a reason nintendo make a ds lite. it for small people, and because most asian are small so they make the Lite. you in the other hand a big dude, so but the big DS.roan23

lol. agreed, i'm asian and i'm a tiny piece of $hit! i guess i'm still growing but i'm only 3-4 inches past 5 foot.
thats why teh lites for me. but after playing my friends mario kart on his ds before i got mine, it took a bit of time to get used to the smaller buttons.

Bullet_Holes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bullet_Holes
Member since 2006 • 1330 Posts
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product_id=802599

Good for bigger hands, and also adds 8 hour battery life!