Getting MH3U soon.. What class do you main?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BombingSystems (140 posts) -

The Bow class has really caught my eye for some reason. Lacing arrows with sleep or paralyze and watching it eventually kick in while your party members beat the crap out of it! anyways what about you guys, what classes do you main and why? 

#2 Posted by dobzilian (3365 posts) -
Weapon efficiency varies monster to monster. Currently i've been using Sword and Shield, Great Sword, Switch axe and occasionally Dual Swords. I'd not use a weapon like Sword and Shield against something like Barroth but would use it against less armored enemies like great jaggi, Royal Ludroth... This is just from my own experience but i suppose its more due to skill. You can play with people on your friend list.
#3 Posted by thetravman (3592 posts) -

I have been watching a lot of videos of this game and it looks to be really addictive. I just had a few questions if anyone doesn't mind answering..

1. Is there any class that shine more then another class at certain bosses or are they all pretty balanced and depends on player skill?

2. Does this game have a day/night or weather system? rain, windy, snow occur while in game or at bosses? that would be pretty epic!

3. Can you play with anyone online or only players in your friend list?

The Bow class has really caught my eye for some reason. Lacing arrows with sleep or paralyze and watching it eventually kick in while your party members beat the crap out of it! anyways what about you guys, what classes do you main and why?

BombingSystems

1. No weapons outclass the others. They are very distinctive with strenghs and weaknesses. It just depends on your playstyle. If you're defensive, go lance. If you value speed, go sword and shield. Great Sword is a great offensive weapon.

2. The original Tri had day/night cycles continually throughout the game. In this game, the night is reserved for later in the game where stronger monster reside. For weather, each hunting ground has their fixed weather conditions. Tundra has snow and Flooded Forest has rain.

3. You can play online with anyone and communicate with text messaging. I don't know if you can voice chat with strangers.

I used all types of swords in Tri, and now I'm getting used to the dual swords in this game. I'm loving it. It's a very aggressive weapon.

#4 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
1- not really, but different monsters are weak against different elements, and different parts of them are weak against different types of damage. 2- i think they still have night for tougher ranks. not sure about weather. 3- the wii u version has online, yes. bow is fun, but it has a pretty steep learning curve and its controls are pretty clunky. currently i play a switch axe and the bow.
#5 Posted by Sepewrath (29869 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]1- not really, but different monsters are weak against different elements, and different parts of them are weak against different types of damage. 2- i think they still have night for tougher ranks. not sure about weather. 3- the wii u version has online, yes. bow is fun, but it has a pretty steep learning curve and its controls are pretty clunky. currently i play a switch axe and the bow.

You have a Wii U?
#6 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]1- not really, but different monsters are weak against different elements, and different parts of them are weak against different types of damage. 2- i think they still have night for tougher ranks. not sure about weather. 3- the wii u version has online, yes. bow is fun, but it has a pretty steep learning curve and its controls are pretty clunky. currently i play a switch axe and the bow.

You have a Wii U?

3DS version. you're like, the 5th person i've had to clarify that to lol :P
#7 Posted by BombingSystems (140 posts) -

Thx for the answers guys, appreciate it. I have been checking out more weapons today, the dual swords look badass! and the Axe blade changing while in combat looks pretty cool too. Dang it I don't think I will be able to play only one class lol

#8 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

Thx for the answers guys, appreciate it. I have been checking out more weapons today, the dual swords look badass! and the Axe blade changing while in combat looks pretty cool too. Dang it I don't think I will be able to play only one class lol

BombingSystems
playing multiple weapon types might be costy, but it keeps the game fresh for longer. ranged weapon users have to wear different armor from melee weapon users though, so keep that in mind.
#9 Posted by BombingSystems (140 posts) -
Good to know thx. So I am assuming you can transfer your gear through a storage system to another class that can equip it?
#10 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
Good to know thx. So I am assuming you can transfer your gear through a storage system to another class that can equip it?BombingSystems
here's how it works: all your equipment (both weapons and armor) stays in the equipment box, at all times. there's no way to "take it out", even when you're actually wearing the armor. when you equip a bow or bowgun, you automatically switch to the "gunner". you will then only be able to equip gunner armor. when you equip literally anything else, you'll be a blademaster. logically, you'll only be able to equip blademaster armor. the item pouches (where you carry your potions, monster carves, etc) for gunner and blademaster are separate as well. the gunner pouch has a 4th tab to let you carry different ammo (for bowguns) or phials (for bows).
#11 Posted by Sepewrath (29869 posts) -
When I pick it up, I'll go Long Sword again and maybe dabble with the Dual Blades.
#12 Posted by BombingSystems (140 posts) -
[QUOTE="BombingSystems"]Good to know thx. So I am assuming you can transfer your gear through a storage system to another class that can equip it?BrunoBRS
here's how it works: all your equipment (both weapons and armor) stays in the equipment box, at all times. there's no way to "take it out", even when you're actually wearing the armor. when you equip a bow or bowgun, you automatically switch to the "gunner". you will then only be able to equip gunner armor. when you equip literally anything else, you'll be a blademaster. logically, you'll only be able to equip blademaster armor. the item pouches (where you carry your potions, monster carves, etc) for gunner and blademaster are separate as well. the gunner pouch has a 4th tab to let you carry different ammo (for bowguns) or phials (for bows).

oh I see, so if you only created 1 character, that character can change to any and all classes as long as the right wep is equipped? pretty cool if so.
When I pick it up, I'll go Long Sword again and maybe dabble with the Dual Blades. Sepewrath
Nice! I actually really wanna try the dual blades too. If only the Bow was as fast as those blades...
#13 Posted by aroxx_ab (13236 posts) -

I use hammer, long sword and lance, depending on what monster i hunt. I like to use lance for underwater monsters.

#14 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4954 posts) -

I've been using the bow for most of the game, long sword for whenever I need to cut a tail I can't reach with the bow.

#15 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="BombingSystems"]Good to know thx. So I am assuming you can transfer your gear through a storage system to another class that can equip it?BombingSystems

oh I see, so if you only created 1 character, that character can change to any and all classes as long as the right wep is equipped? pretty cool if so.

correct. for example, i'm usually wielding the switch axe, but i decided to use the bow for multiplayer, since that'll keep me from knocking my friend down all the time. all i had to do after getting the bow is craft a new armor set.
#16 Posted by BombingSystems (140 posts) -
Weird you can hit your friends. Do they take damage? I guess it makes the game more challenging!
#17 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4954 posts) -

Weird you can hit your friends. Do they take damage? I guess it makes the game more challenging!BombingSystems

They only take damage if you place a bomb and detonate it next to them. :P Hitting them with your weapon knocks them down, but it does not deal damage.

#18 Posted by BombingSystems (140 posts) -
Thats pretty cool, I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I have to wait for the april update though...