Gamespot editor admits mistakes in their Zelda: Skyward Sword analysis

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alcabcucu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alcabcucu
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

With a short footnote to the analysis, and without giving further explanations.

Editor's note:This review originally stated that aiming was handled through the Wii Remote's infrared sensor, which is incorrect. The review has been amended accordingly. GameSpot regrets the error.

It might seem that this error has few implications, but in my opinion it is more important than Gamespot would have us to believe.

One of the biggest criticisms of the analyst is concerned with problems caused by the aiming function in Skyward Sword. The truth is that these problems did not exist, but the analyst did not understand the aiming function in SS did not use the sensor bar.This caused to him more of a problem when using objectsor when entering in first person view.

As I stated in other post:

Someone should explain Tom that Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar to calibrate the wiimote. I think all his problems with the control are because of this.

Now, when you press the button to access the aiming function (entering in first person view or when using certain items) the game will consider you're pointing at the center of the screen, taking as reference the position of the wiimote when you pressed the button. So, if you press the button when your wiimote is pointing to the floor, the game will "think" the floor is the center of the screen.

Pressing the down arrow button will reset the central position, taking the position of the wiimote in that particular moment as reference, and giving the false impression that you need to recalibrate the wiimote all the time.

This is easily solved by pressing the "aiming" button (c or B -only with certain items-) RIGHT AFTER you aim at the center of the screen with your wiimote.

Why did Nintendo take this approach? Probably to give fast access to menus. Now you don't need to aim at the screen to move the cursor. With a simple and fast gesture you can choose the item you need in that particular moment. This allows to use the bow or the slingshot with the wiimote in vertical position, too (as in Wii Sports Resort).

So this is, in my opinion, the reason why Tom thought that the wiimote didn't work properly, as he even says that the infrared sensors are faulty. And they are not faulty, they simply aren't used.

As I said, someone should explain this to him. Maybe this is the reason he had issues with the wiimote, and could change his opinion about its controls.

Obviously, this jeopardizes the analysis as a whole, as the analyst hasn't even been able to understand this fact.The truth is that if the man was having control issues every time he used objects or entered first person view (something he said in the analysis but that I think they have removed by now), I certainly can understand that he developed a bias towards the control system, modifying his perception of the sword control and his impression of the game as whole.

We must say thanks to Gamespot for their good will when admitting their mistake, but I'm surprised how they minimize its implications (in my opinion they completely put into stake the analyst's capacity to assess properly the game...)

Note: Please forgive my lousy English, as it is not my natural language.

BR.

pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Meh it's not like that's going to change the score one bit. Damage has been done.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Use the sticky at the top of the the board please.