free DS or buy DS lite ?!? help me!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

speedracer216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 speedracer216
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts

i've been saving gift cards to buy an onyx ds lite (i don't have ds at all).

but my friend just told me i could have his old ds for my birthday. so... i know everything free is sweet, but does the old one suck compared to the lite one? is the lite one amazingly better so i should just get it anyway?

if you've had both or if you just have an opinion... please help me out!!

sauska_sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 sauska_sun
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts
hav him to give it to u then sell it then get the ds lite and get games
gamer700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gamer700
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts
i have a lite and a o0ld and my lite is so much better. u should get a lite and get ur friends old one and sell it and buy games....
bxgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 bxgt
Member since 2006 • 3035 Posts
i will let you be the judge
gamer700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamer700
hey how do u post pictures?
speedracer216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 speedracer216

hav him to give it to u then sell it then get the ds lite and get gamessauska_sun
oh man... 2 people said this plan. i did think of that but isn't that kinda wrong? i mean he's trying to be nice. it is tempting though...

so everyone pretty much agrees that it's not worth getting the original ds?

gamer700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamer700
and nice picture
gamer700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamer700
lol its not really wrong its his friends chose if he want to gove it to him or not
Platyphyllum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Platyphyllum
Member since 2005 • 8105 Posts
The DS Lite is better than the original DS, but it's really your choice.
bxgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bxgt
Member since 2006 • 3035 Posts
hey how do u post pictures?gamer700
i know i am not supposed to do this but just click on the picture icon when you about to post(doesnt work with quickpost)
Superlink517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Superlink517
Member since 2004 • 1849 Posts
The original DS is louder. The DS Lite is smaller and brighter. It depends on which of these you want more- sound or brightness (and greater portability). I get what your saying though, your friend is being nice by giving you his ds, but wouldn't your friend also want you to have something that you want? Unless he's easily offended, I don't think he'll mind if you get a DS Lite with the money you got from selling. I have the original DS and I am content, however there are times (such as roadtrips) that i wished I had a brighter screen, however, I know that if I did have a DS Lite it would be harder to hear, even with headphones.
AzureCuzYeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 AzureCuzYeah
Member since 2005 • 257 Posts
Once you play on a Lite you will never want to play on a regular DS.
Nick_996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nick_996
Member since 2004 • 3714 Posts
You'd probably be happier with the Lite.

Ive still got a DS Phat, and everytime I see a friend playing a Lite it brings that little consumer whore (and how!) out of me, wanting one.  To be honest, the Lite is much nicer on amost all levels.

The only thing you might not like is that that DS Lite is quieter than the DS Phat.
speedracer216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 speedracer216
hey superlink, how on earth do you ahve 1000 posts and your still level 1?!?! did you just sign up today and score 1000 posts already?
Younggun135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Younggun135
Member since 2006 • 1853 Posts
Get a lite... sell that old one and get like 4 games.
jacob33301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jacob33301
Member since 2007 • 766 Posts
lol free DS !! that sounds like a bargain =)
gibbon1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gibbon1618
Member since 2006 • 219 Posts
I would just keep the original I mean it's free right??? and then buy a DS lite. I have both the original and lite so that all my friends whether they have a DS or not can play multiplayer with me.
soulsdeparting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 soulsdeparting
Member since 2006 • 1537 Posts

[QUOTE="sauska_sun"]hav him to give it to u then sell it then get the ds lite and get gamesspeedracer216

oh man... 2 people said this plan. i did think of that but isn't that kinda wrong? i mean he's trying to be nice. it is tempting though...

so everyone pretty much agrees that it's not worth getting the original ds?

its not wrong, if hes regifting to yo, not buying you a brand-new thing but merely giving you something he doesnt need anymore, then i dont think so, use it to help you save up for a lite. thats what id do. or play it until you get enough money for a lite then sell it to buy games
uglyduck-uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uglyduck-uk
Member since 2003 • 6816 Posts

Heck - he is your friend.  Say to him, "thanks I will accept your offer but do you mind if I trade it in towards a DS Lite?"

ShadowFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShadowFrog
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

hey superlink, how on earth do you ahve 1000 posts and your still level 1?!?! did you just sign up today and score 1000 posts already?speedracer216

it's only a glitch

anyways.. get both and keep them.  that way you can play games like Mario Kart with friends who don't have a DS

jamesmt0032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jamesmt0032
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
Once you play on a Lite you will never want to play on a regular DS.AzureCuzYeah
Thats why you should thank your friend for the offer and get the DS Lite.
KiLLer_ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 KiLLer_ba
Member since 2002 • 5759 Posts
Even thought it a free Ds it's not a DS lite. Thank your friend for the nice offer and go ahead and buy a DS lite.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
I strongly reccommend you save up for a DS Lite. Even if you receive a DS Phat, you'll only regret it after once you lay your hands on the revamped edition.  Ask him if you could use the DS Phat he's giving to you in order to trade it for games or to cash in towards a DS Lite. Up to you really. And what's with the quieter sound I keep hearing about the DS Lite? Just use in-ear monitors or earplug headphones on road trips, works terrific, and sound quality is still pretty good.
snickerscd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 snickerscd
Member since 2004 • 888 Posts
That's a toughie, but I say, take the free DS, that's an awesome gift, and in my opinion, you won't, or shouldn't be playing the thing so much that it makes a vast difference, I'm fine with my bulky DS.
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts

i've been saving gift cards to buy an onyx ds lite (i don't have ds at all).

but my friend just told me i could have his old ds for my birthday. so... i know everything free is sweet, but does the old one suck compared to the lite one? is the lite one amazingly better so i should just get it anyway?

if you've had both or if you just have an opinion... please help me out!!

speedracer216
If you want better control get the original, cuz the DS lite's d-pad sux. The DS lite just looks nicer.
Superlegtesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Superlegtesta
Member since 2003 • 389 Posts
It's free. Free.

I know this is not exactly what you were expecting NOW, but I would take the old one for free, use my money to buy some decent games, and wait for the Lite's price to drop and then, in a year or two, buy a Lite. At that moment you'll have no shame in selling you friend's DS.

Don't do like too many gamers who can't wait a few months and stupidly throw out their money. Using this impulsive feeling, some major companies that you surely know of make a lot of money.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34793 Posts
I don't think your friend is going to be very happy if you just sell the DS he's giving you. I wouldn't do it. I'd take the DS and play with that, or just get a Lite. It depends on how much you want a screen that's a lot brighter. I can tell you that the buttons on the old DS is better, though. Your call.
Hakkzpets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hakkzpets
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts
Let me put it this way. If you buy a DS Fat and get to play on a DS Lite, your soul will tear you apart and implode, becouse of the temptation.
Nahga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nahga
Member since 2005 • 796 Posts
Yeah it would be rude to take his ds then sell it for a lite - it would look so ungrateful - thank the dude and just get the lite - it's the only way !
_Parker_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _Parker_
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

If you were a good friend in the first place you wouldn't accept his DS no matter what, but thats up to you.

Anyways, imo you should get the Lite. 

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#31 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

I can tell you that the buttons on the old DS is better, though. Your call.Litchie

I disagree.

I believe the DS Lite is superior is every respect to the old DS, especially the buttons and the D-pad. Oh yeah....and the screens.. :lol:

On Topic:  Just buy the DS Lite. I had the old DS and traded it in toward an Onyx DS Lite and don't regret it one bit.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts
I love my Phat! I'd keep the Phat and use the money to buy games. Plus a year down the road, if you truly want, you can sell it and buy the lite. But I think the Phat's better. It can take a lot of abuse and still loves ya!
20fox05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 20fox05
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

If you want better control get the original, cuz the DS lite's d-pad sux. The DS lite just looks nicer.j03yAsunder

It doesnt just look nicer, it is much more portable, lighter, brighter, the stylus is longer and thicker.. The D-Pad doesn't suck, I think it's very comfortable..

And for the creator of this thread, ask your friend if he wouldnt mind if you trade his DS. You should get a Lite cause it's better in EVERY way..

You will regret not getting the Lite and keeping the Phat DS.

I'm not saying the original is BAD, I'm saying that Lite is better :P

ArchAngel2284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ArchAngel2284
Member since 2003 • 1120 Posts
how many types of threads like this r there?! YES the lite is better. i also have onyx which i bought the second day it came out back in sept
snickerscd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 snickerscd
Member since 2004 • 888 Posts
how many types of threads like this r there?! YES the lite is better. i also have onyx which i bought the second day it came out back in septArchAngel2284
... So you own two DS lites? You see, people like this shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion in what you purchase, because it's obvious their priorities in money differ vastly from ours.
zombieKILLER25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 zombieKILLER25
Member since 2005 • 700 Posts
i will let you be the judge
bxgt
OG wins!
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
Free > Lite
Avatar image for Xx_King_Beef_xX
Xx_King_Beef_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xx_King_Beef_xX
Member since 2005 • 591 Posts

I'd just take the free DS now and buy a Lite later on. Sure, the Lite is sweet and all and it's definitely better, but c'mon... If you can save 140 bucks right now, I'd say go for it. ;)

apu0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 apu0404
Member since 2005 • 3682 Posts
hav him to give it to u then sell it then get the ds lite and get gamessauska_sun
I'd agree. The LITE is SOOOO Much better... So i'd probably wait until ur b day get the old one sell it on ebay. Use the gift cards for a DS lite if u need more money use sum from the old ds and buy like 3 games when u get it.
gibbon1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gibbon1618
Member since 2006 • 219 Posts
[QUOTE="ArchAngel2284"]how many types of threads like this r there?! YES the lite is better. i also have onyx which i bought the second day it came out back in septsnickerscd
... So you own two DS lites? You see, people like this shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion in what you purchase, because it's obvious their priorities in money differ vastly from ours.

who cares if he has two DS lites. I don't think that means we should restrict his right to freedom of speech. I have a DS phat and a lite but I'm pretty sure my money priorities are out of whack. I just happen to save my money and get bargains whenever possible. from now on let's try to stay on topic.
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts
I have an Enamel Navy DS Lite :P.  Anways, I say go for the Lite.  You can always take the DS, and sell it for money, and buy a DS Lite, and a game with the money from the DS :P.  (That'd be mean to your friend though :wink:.)
mtburdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mtburdell
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
Is your friend getting a lite and that's why he's giving you his old one? If so he already appreciates the lite is the one to have. Talking to him about it is a good idea though. You could say something like 'I'd like to get the lite too so would you be offended if I sold the DS on ebay and used the money to upgrade?' That shouldn't mess with your friendship and maybe you could even suggest he could just sell it himself. -Now if you sold it on ebay and turned around and bought some shoes and some beef jerkey or something...
j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts

[QUOTE="j03yAsunder"]If you want better control get the original, cuz the DS lite's d-pad sux. The DS lite just looks nicer.20fox05

It doesnt just look nicer, it is much more portable, lighter, brighter, the stylus is longer and thicker.. The D-Pad doesn't suck, I think it's very comfortable..

And for the creator of this thread, ask your friend if he wouldnt mind if you trade his DS. You should get a Lite cause it's better in EVERY way..

You will regret not getting the Lite and keeping the Phat DS.

I'm not saying the original is BAD, I'm saying that Lite is better :P

I think I would know the difference cuz my g/f has an Onyx DS lite that I can basically play whenever I feel like it (I choose to play my as you like to call Phat DS instead). The d-pad is very bad on the lite and you have to push it hard just to move diagnolly (We returned it three times thinking it was defective just to be told by nintendo that, thats how its supposed to be. Also my friends White DS lite has the same problem) making games like Metroid, and Mario 64 ALMOST imposible to play. It doesn't feel very natural at all. And yes it does just look nicer, cuz the bright screen, size, and the glossy look. Sorry I didn't sum that all up.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#44 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts
Just get the old fat DS, I mean it's like some handing you $130. You'll still be able to play DS games.
NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts
Free is nice, why not just take, then see what to do next? I'd always keep the DS for multiplayer. You know a lot of games have download-play, which is single cartridge multiplayer.
Jimmy_Frank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jimmy_Frank
Member since 2006 • 262 Posts
tell him to keep his so at least you can do some wifi with someone you know
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
The lite is better, plus the old DS in question is second hand. Go for the Lite.
speedracer216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 speedracer216
Is your friend getting a lite and that's why he's giving you his old one? If so he already appreciates the lite is the one to have. Talking to him about it is a good idea though. You could say something like 'I'd like to get the lite too so would you be offended if I sold the DS on ebay and used the money to upgrade?' That shouldn't mess with your friendship and maybe you could even suggest he could just sell it himself. -Now if you sold it on ebay and turned around and bought some shoes and some beef jerkey or something...mtburdell
DING DING DING!!! we have a winner. my friend gave me the DS phat today and actually brought up ON HIS OWN that if i want to sell it he doesn't care. like you said here, he's getting the lite cuz its better, that's why he can give me the old one so he would understand (and think it was smart!) if i sold it toward a NEW DS LITE. so i guess that answers that. thanks everyone! now the only question is... do i keep the DS phat and put the gift cards towards Wii instead of ds lite?......
NotAFurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NotAFurry
Member since 2003 • 6055 Posts
[QUOTE="speedracer216"] now the only question is... do i keep the DS phat and put the gift cards towards Wii instead of ds lite?......

Why not. I'd do that if I were you. You wouldn't get much for the DS anyway unless you sold it on eBay.