For those who already own Twilight Princess... Will you get the HD version?

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

I already own it on the Wii. I really enjoyed it. The last time I played it was back in 2010. I'm really debating whether to get the HD one or not. I know it's a matter of opinion, but I'm just curious to see what all of you plan on doing. I could play the original game again right now, or I can spend $60 and play a better looking version. I personally am attracted to the updated visuals of the HD version (of course I wouldn't have minded more of an upgrade though).

How about all of you? What are you gonna do?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Full price for a visual upgrade?

Releases have been sporadic and this is the answer? Seriously, a 10 year old game with some polish?

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I am debating right now whether or not I should cancel my order of the game. I could get 3 Nintendo select games for the price of this, and I have not played DKTF or Pikmin 3.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Nah. As much as I loved Twilight Princess $50 is just too much for what is barely even a remaster. I'll pick it up if it ever gets to $20.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I haven't played it since the GameCube launch.

I'll most likely get it

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

I last played it when the Wii launched, looking forward to playing the new one on Friday.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts
@juboner said:

I am debating right now whether or not I should cancel my order of the game. I could get 3 Nintendo select games for the price of this, and I have not played DKTF or Pikmin 3.

Definitely get Freezy Breeze and Pikmin 3 dood.

To answer the question no since they messed a few things up, i'll be sticking with the gamecube version.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@rubber-chicken: No. I skip over HD ports of games I own unless they come down to the $20 price mark. Since Nintendo shorts supplies and keeps prices high for a long time, there's a good chance I will never own Zelda TP HD.

It's way too expensive for an a HD port.

That's okay though, I own it on GC and Wii anyways.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

Yes I am getting it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I said I wouldn't, but I ended up ordering it today. That amiibo is the thing that convinced me.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts

Maybe one day many, many, many years from now. Considering not much has changed beyond it original release, I'll wait it out. Unless I hit the lottery and got money to just sling around. Then I'd get it right away...

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toxic-Seahorse

As a side note, is anyone else disappointed that the box art isn't nearly as epic as the original game? I might have bought it (still probably not though) if they could have matched the awesomeness that is the original box art.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trugs26

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

As a side note, is anyone else disappointed that the box art isn't nearly as epic as the original game? I might have bought it (still probably not though) if they could have matched the awesomeness that is the original box art.

It's basically the same, except with a few extra details (which I think looks better). But overall, it's on the same level of epic'ness given how similar they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DULCXR_K3T0

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

EDIT: Just looked at another unboxing which has different box art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GniKyZu_NCg

Which I think actually looks amazing. Much better than the original. The artwork here is beautiful. I hope the one I ordered is the same one here.

Looking at the PEGI and ESRB rating, it looks like PAL regions get the "old" style box art, and US regions get the new box art. Which disappoints me a little given that I'm from the PAL region and much prefer the new version.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toxic-Seahorse

@trugs26 said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

It's basically the same, except with a few extra details (which I think looks better). But overall, it's on the same level of epic'ness given how similar they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DULCXR_K3T0

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

EDIT: Just looked at another unboxing which has different box art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GniKyZu_NCg

Which I think actually looks amazing. Much better than the original. The artwork here is beautiful. I hope the one I ordered is the same one here.

Looking at the PEGI and ESRB rating, it looks like PAL regions get the "old" style box art, and US regions get the new box art. Which disappoints me a little given that I'm from the PAL region and much prefer the new version.

I like the old one, and even the new PAL version of the old one a lot better. It just seems so much more epic. I'm not saying the new US one is bad, it's just not as good as one of my favorite box arts of all time. I'll tell you what, if I ever do end up getting the game, I'll swap you boxes. :P

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Ordered it and picking it up Friday. Have the Wii version but never completed it. (busy times)

A few small improvements I've read about has made it appealing to buy. Easier to switch from Link to wolf form. A lantern to help find Poes.

Also an extra dungeon with the amiibo that has some use in the upcoming new Zelda Wii U.

Good review on GS homepage by Robert Crossley that makes the game sound worthwhile.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

My copy arrived yesterday. Waiting to play it though, as I'm playing though the series in order. Really like the Wolf Link Amiibo, it's easily one of the best looking ones they've ever made.

The main reason I got it though is because I only own the Wii version, and I'm not a fan of the waggle controls.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trugs26

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@trugs26 said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I like the old one, and even the new PAL version of the old one a lot better. It just seems so much more epic. I'm not saying the new US one is bad, it's just not as good as one of my favorite box arts of all time. I'll tell you what, if I ever do end up getting the game, I'll swap you boxes. :P

Haha I'll keep that in mind :P

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

Pre-ordered for $48 on Amazon with Amiibo. Have it for the Wii, but wanted to replay it without motion controls and cleaned up graphics. Definitely looking forward to it.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@trugs26 said:

I said I wouldn't, but I ended up ordering it today. That amiibo is the thing that convinced me.

You and me both.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Haven't played twilight princess in a long time and don't own the woo version anymore. My copy arrives today from Amazon with the amiibo. Can't wait to fire it up later today.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's the worst Zelda game ever created, they would have to do a lot to make it playable.

Get rid of that kiddie goth theme and get rid of the dog.

I just don't see myself ever wanting to play it unless those things were gone.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Jaysonguy: That sucks, your missing out on one of the best Zelda games ever made. I cant wait to plug mine up and play, i should be getting it soon. Im getting buried with Nintendo games though, ive been slacking on my gaming pretty bad. I didnt even beat a game last month.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Toxic-Seahorse

Well against my own better judgement and my common sense as a consumer, I ended up picking it up. The new textures are actually pretty decent, better than what I was expecting.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I have the Wii version of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. It is a good game, and one that makes sense upgrade to HD. I probably won't be getting it soon since I have the Wii version, but I want that Link Wolf and Midna Amiibo. The game needs to stay in circulation for new gamers and future generations.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse: I figure many would feel that way when they saw it on the big screen in HD instead of on the internet compressed. The same thing happened with Wind Waker HD. Everyone thought it looked the same and that it was a little lazy. But when they put it on the big screen, people were blown away by how good it looked. I dont usually buy the same game twice, but i picked it up too. I just havnt tried it out yet, im still playing a few games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I had the game on the Wii but never finished it because I did not like the motion controls (I regret not buying the Gamecube version instead). I'm looking forward to playing it with normal controls and the other improvements.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toxic-Seahorse

@iandizion713 said:

@Toxic-Seahorse: I figure many would feel that way when they saw it on the big screen in HD instead of on the internet compressed. The same thing happened with Wind Waker HD. Everyone thought it looked the same and that it was a little lazy. But when they put it on the big screen, people were blown away by how good it looked. I dont usually buy the same game twice, but i picked it up too. I just havnt tried it out yet, im still playing a few games.

I do wish they would have redone at least the character models as some of them are still quite blocky and a bit out of place next to some of the textures. I've also noticed rupees tend to blend in a bit more with the grass textures, especially from a distance.

Also, I find it odd that they felt the need to alter the control scheme. Not majorly, but now start brings up your items in a different item menu and down on the d-pad bring up the traditional start menu with save and options. Seems like an odd change.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I have GameCube and wii copies but I still picked this up. Amazon was late on my order and I got $30 off of the game price. I ended up cancelling anyway and picked it up from GameStop.

It would be silly to pass this up if you're a Zelda fan. The original release suffered badly from being on GC hardware. The visual improvements are very much worth it. I tend to relay most of my games and since time is valuable I'd rather play the best version possible. Not to mention the benefits of using the gamepad for inventory which was a big plus for wind waker hd.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

Looks great on the big screen, much nicer than the reviews on YouTube did.

Very happy with it, even though the first couple of hours are boring. I'd almost forgotten how boring the beginning of this game was.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yep, started playing it this morning and it's fantastic the second time around. First time I played was on the Wii. I own the GC, Wii and now Wii U versions and obviously this is the best version. Don't know why some are saying it's not much of a visual improvement because I see a TON of more detail in just about everything.

The Amiibo is great looking as well.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By trugs26

I had a bit of a dilemma with the game. I've already played the game multiple times on Wii. So with the HD remake, I would like to play the flipped version (GCN) to have a fresher feel to the game (as well as play it as it was originally intended). But at the same time, since I've already played it before, I want to play Hero Mode. It kinda sucks that I can't combine Hero Mode and the GCN version. I know some of you wll suggest using the Ganondorf amiibo, but if I had that, I would want to play Ganondorf amiibo+Hero Mode+GCN version.

Regardless, I ended up doing Hero Mode. I'm still thinking about it though, and tempted to start another save file on Normal difficulty to get that GCN experience.

I just wish they would make the world flipping a simple option. It's literally 1 line of code to do so. So it isn't hard.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Same here. I have yet to feel any guilt. I love this game. One of my favorite Zeldas, though I've only played the Wii version so everything is FLIPPED!!! :o

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I got it against my better judgement.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Played it last night and I was taken in by the first evening at Ordon village. The sunset creates vibrant colors on the landscape that look beautiful, lots of color detail/gradient. It does kinda remind me of a painting when looking at still screens. During the daytime though it is less colorful with a cool (temp.) color palette.

The game does look way better on your screen than all the video's show it to be. I played the Wii game a couple years ago and the upgrade is very substantial. The sound is kinda muddy being that they used the same samples as gamecube/wii. I thought Nintendo would have higher resolution samples stored away but maybe they captured and saved them in same resolution as the old games. Some sounds do seem to be better though, like in the sewers of the castle in wolf form.

I tried out the quick start option with the amiibo and I like the idea for getting into save game quickly. But I stopped playing before figuring out how to quick save to the amiibo after the first initial scan and save. If you have to go through the instruction screen every time you save to, then its not worth doing. If I can save just as easily as I can load, then I would use it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I kinda want to sell my copy of WW and buy TP, but I don't know. Gotta find those triforce shards first.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Played 3 times so far and just completed the first dungeon. Somehow it is easier to use then the Wii U version for me. I never really got very far in Wii U as it was hard to see the screen and I kept falling as the wolf climbing up to see Zelda. It'seems much brighter and a few improvements has made this more fun to play.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Yep. Hadn't played it for 5 years or so and I only had the Wii version, for which the controls suck. So it's worth rebuying for the better resolution, new textures, gamepad usage, and gyro controls (love those).