For Gamers with a Gal

This topic is locked from further discussion.

everlong12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 everlong12
Member since 2008 • 648 Posts

So my wife has been hard to play video games with. I put this topic under Nintendo Wii because thats the system I own so I want Wii gamers to answer. Anyway, the other day we were in a Gamestop and my wife decided to try the new Sports Resort. She loved it. She had so much fun that I went ahead and bought it with an extra sensor so we can play it (I was gonna wait til something more action orientated came out). She is pretty good and beat me in a few events but I destroyed her in everything else.

This has happened in other games like Mario Party 8, Mario Kart and generally anything with competition in it. She loves each game but if I win I'm a... well lets just say jerk for like of a nicer word... and then she storms off and we won't play together for a couple months. If I lose she claims I did it on purpose and if I don't want her to play for fear of all of this i'm a cocky "jerk". Anyone else caught in this web?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

So my wife has been hard to play video games with. I put this topic under Nintendo Wii because thats the system I own so I want Wii gamers to answer. Anyway, the other day we were in a Gamestop and my wife decided to try the new Sports Resort. She loved it. She had so much fun that I went ahead and bought it with an extra sensor so we can play it (I was gonna wait til something more action orientated came out). She is pretty good and beat me in a few events but I destroyed her in everything else.

This has happened in other games like Mario Party 8, Mario Kart and generally anything with competition in it. She loves each game but if I win I'm a... well lets just say jerk for like of a nicer word... and then she storms off and we won't play together for a couple months. If I lose she claims I did it on purpose and if I don't want her to play for fear of all of this i'm a cocky "jerk". Anyone else caught in this web?

everlong12
your gonna need to learn to not be cocky like that, or else find a good co-op game where it wont be an issue
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I wouldn't really know how to handle that, but I think just have fun with the games and just don't think about 'winning' - just have fun lol.
jimbo_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 jimbo_24
Member since 2005 • 206 Posts

my girl always beats be in ddr on wii but i dont mind wii is about having fun my xbox is for my serious gaming

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

This may sound weird, but maybe you should try The Umbrella Chronicles, or wait for Dead Space: Extraction/The Darkside Chronicles. For some reason, I have a feeling that both of you will have a great time with those games, as long as she likes horror movies and stuff like that at least a little bit, of course.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 starwarsjunky
the lego games would be really good actually.
SSBMFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 97

#7 SSBMFighter
Member since 2005 • 3797 Posts

My girl plays most of my games with me. She'll get mad every now and then if I beat her in a game but always starts playing in a few minutes. Honestly try Cooking Mama Cook Off. Its fun and its really that competitive. If that doesn't work, try out Brawl.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starwarsjunky

My girl plays most of my games with me. She'll get mad every now and then if I beat her in a game but always starts playing in a few minutes. Honestly try Cooking Mama Cook Off. Its fun and its really that competitive. If that doesn't work, try out Brawl.

SSBMFighter
she usually beats you tho so its not much of a problem =P
hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

tell your girl to man up and take it to the chin

jiggyw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jiggyw
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

tell your girl to man up and take it to the chin

hyperkass
word.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

That's why I generally dont play video games with girls.. its a loaded situation, you lose eitherway.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Stop playing with her now! This is only going to get worse

THIS IS WHAT WILL BECOME OF YOU TWO

If you don't stop now start looking for the new TV and the new console and the new games

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

My girlfriend doesn't play video games very much. However, she loved playing online in Tetris DS. She could be playing like 2-3 hours witout stopping. Wii Sports Resort is another game that she loves to play, especially the baketball minigame (one of the worst in my opinion). Other than that, I'm the gamer of this relationship.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
do it like i do with my friends who suck at smash bros: "lower" your abilities without looking like you're doing it on purpose. you still get fun and nobody says "that sunnovabi*** is addicted, we cant play against him" :P or just try to calm her down. why women have to be so temperamental... you sure you're playing on the right days? :P
remblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 remblade
Member since 2003 • 537 Posts

Like others have suggested, try more Co-op games other than competitive games.

You could also practice how to lose without making it seem like it's on purpose. Just saying.

Schultz38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Schultz38
Member since 2009 • 745 Posts

Play a two player game. One where you both play together, on the same team.

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
You have to learn how to play games with non-gamers. Your goal is for them to play with you, right? Well then, you have to LET THEM WIN the majority of the time, so they remain interested. They will eventually get better and you can ramp up your game over time. This goes for ALL non-gamers, not just girlfriends/wives. And don't be all like "Yeah, I let you win because you suck and I'm awesome!" Because that's just as discouraging beating them over and over again. You have to let them win convincingly enough for them to think they won of their own accord, not because you let them.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Your just going to have to tell her your not going to let her play if she is going to be a poor sport. My wife and I have fun talking trash, I don't let her win but I let her pick the games she is better at. She absolutely pwnes my soul at tetris party.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
Play co-op instead of competitive. My girlfriend LOVED Zach and Wiki, Resident Evil UC, and World of Goo. Puzzle games are fun because no matter who's playing it, you can both brainstorm solutions. My biggest issue, is my girlfriend is she's clumsy with menus and even in the game sometimes. I have to resist the urge to snatch the controller out of her hands and do it for her. As much as I think that helps her it doesn't, she has to learn just like we all did. Also you have to realize she's coming into your element, so naturally you are the "pro" and she's a "noob" just try and be patient with her and show her what gaming is all about without showing off. Eventually instead of calling you names, she will just ask "How did you do that?" Don't try and push though. My girlfriend has a weak attention span for some really good games, yet she can play Sodoku for like 3 hours. Best of luck, you're going to need it!
ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts

This may sound weird but I do not think playing a game with less effort is not the same as letting your oponent or wife or girl friend win. The other day my SMOKEN HOT wife and I, Who is also SMOKEN HOT, visited our friends and took the zapper and Links crossbow training over and had a blast with it. My wife bet me at least half the time when I was playing right handed and every time I was using my left hand. Now I was not going easy on anyone nor was I really out to win, I was simply out to have fun.

When she and I are at home and play together I don't have the problem of getting her upset when I win or loose becuase she is quiet a good gamer herself and rules at DS tetris and the old school NES Dr. Mario and we really have the most fun when playing co op games like Guitar Hero, Residen Evil 5 and Halo 3 and the good ol Super Mario Bros. where she insists on being Luigi.

And one final piece of advice: if you are going to let someone win, never make it easy for them and NEVER let them know you threw the game. People are happy when they win the contest, not when they feel it was just given to them. Good luck.

snover2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 snover2009
Member since 2008 • 1730 Posts

Speaking of Gals, I let my sister borrow my Wii for a while, didn't touch it much with my new PC in all.

She said she would bring it back the very next weekend. She lied. It has been over a month now.

She just doesn't want to give up Mario Kart.

"You have a job," said I, "why not buy your own?"

She replied, "Why would I buy one when I could just have yours?"

captkiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 captkiwi
Member since 2009 • 137 Posts

I played wii sports with my wife. She never wants to play any game with me again.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

If you don't stop now start looking for the new TV and the new console and the new games

Jaysonguy
Funny, me and my girlfriend have been playing together for over 4 years...so how does your theory fit in there?
ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts
i know what ur talkin about. my gf likes to play with the wii aswell but she gets angry very fast if she loses. somehow women seem to forget that most men spent way more time with gaming in general and in most cases also with the particular game. i have to disagree with the people who said that its the same thing when u play with some (male) friends who arent as good as u in a particular game. men seem to know "hey this guy spent way more time with this game, ofc he's better". maybe they are a litle bit upset if u totally dominate them but they dont get angry. at least thats my experience.
Melchezdek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Melchezdek
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts

The only way to solve that is to get a co-op game, my fiance can be a sore loser at times when I beat her. Wii Sports Resort is her favorite game and she does give me great competition.

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

Take up another hobby? Paint Ball is pretty fun...

I love whooping up on girls when I play them. It's not your fault you're better than her. If she doesn't like it, tell her to get better. You don't get anywhere by crying, or throwing a tantrum

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#27 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Jaysonguy

The post totally reminded me of your blog, too. =P

CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

Learn to be a better winner. Seriously.

Some day you'll want to play with your kids, right? Now is the time to learn how to have fun, seem competitve, and be a polite winner.

Co-op, as many have suggested, is an excellent idea. i will also play something like MarioKart with my wife - and will purposefully chose a slower car/bike [or a small character]. She's aware that i'm handicapping myself ... and thus i can be as competitive as i want and she has a better chance. i've also learned to not throw nasty items at her - throw them behind/ahead.

Also, i encourage her to play some single-player on games we'll compete on. She's a lot better after a couple time-trials/ghost races in MK, when she's got the flow down more. if we start out competitive, i have more an edge - so i've found ways to help her get her game going BEFORE we compete. It has also helped to play online w/ her stats ... as i can then be aggressive/dominant towards the online folks vs. her.

Also, perhaps invite some more people over [for 3-4 player games] - as then it's less you vs. her ... and playing co-op might even work nicer that way [you can be on the same team, and having you as teammate might make your obnoxious winning a good thing vs. a put-down for her].

My wife will never be the gamer I am, and she'll always beat me in real-life tennis. Provided you're a polite winner, a good sport - you can find enjoyment playing together even with uneven skills. But it takes a lot to be a decent winner at something you're ultra-competitive in ... though playing with some sort of handicap [like people do in golf at times] can be a good way to still use your skills but level the playing field, if that's needed to make it fun for both of you.

And frankly, realize sometimes it's not about winning - it's about playing together.

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

A Co-op game is definetly the way to go.

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

My girlfriend and I compete with everything (that's just how we were before we went out too). We're pretty even, I beat her at Tennis (REAL tennis not Wii Sports lol), she beats me at Tetris. I completely own her at DDR, but she somehow beats me at Brawl. :P.

You just have to learn to be more friendly about it, or just not say anything. And tell her when you lose, that you tried your very hardest :P.

It helps if you use sarcasm in your relationship already. My girl and I have been saying "you're the worst Tetris player I've ever seen in my life" to each other for over a year and a half now :).

menosdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 menosdemon
Member since 2009 • 518 Posts

do it like i do with my friends who suck at smash bros: "lower" your abilities without looking like you're doing it on purpose. you still get fun and nobody says "that sunnovabi*** is addicted, we cant play against him" :P or just try to calm her down. why women have to be so temperamental... you sure you're playing onthe right days? :PBrunoBRS

im not sure what you meant by that. but i have an idea P:

i think guys are the ones with problems in that game tho. they usually make up some excuse whenever they get crushed. girls have no problem. just the occasional sobbing in the corner and thats it.

jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts

my wife and I play a variety of the party games together, along w/my 6 year old daughter. just play for the fun of playing and it doesn't matter who wins the most. turns out that my daughter is a better wii bowler than me or my wife! there's a lot of games that I get just for me, but the family games are a blast too! enjoy the play time!

neutralbias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 neutralbias
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

my wife won't play games with me. she used to play nintendo and snes, but doesn't like the new stuff...she thinks it's too complicated. i've been downloading virtual console games in hopes she'll pick one up...or the wiii fit pilates and stuff.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

play co-op games. RE: ubrella cronicles or play on a team or play story mode with her on Super Smash Bros Brawl. Resident Evil: Darkside Conicles and Deadspace:Extraction are coming out, both of which are co-op, but thats only if she doesnt mind horror. also, if you are playing agains each other, try to keep the score even.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
She probably thinks your a jerk because you are boasting about winning and bringing it to the forums to let everyone know you can beat your wife.
Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

You just need to learn how to make competetion fun. Not that hard imo, just don't be a dick lol.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
my wife will play every once in a blue moon, but very rarely. maybe once every three weeks for an hour. In mkwii I just use a loose drifting kart and manual, she's finally got drifting down now. She'll win because I gimp myself. she doesn't care if I win tho, she pretty much expects me to win.
DS_Lightning21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DS_Lightning21
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts

Play more co-op games. Try some rail-shooters like Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles or play Team Mode on Mario Kart Wii. That way you can positive communicate with each other better and you can both play at your best.

cantor2537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cantor2537
Member since 2007 • 427 Posts

Yes it happens all the time for me. But my girl also likes games like Havest Moon and Little King's Story, cute games like that (I don't know if you would consider those hard-core games), and I play them alongside her.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]do it like i do with my friends who suck at smash bros: "lower" your abilities without looking like you're doing it on purpose. you still get fun and nobody says "that sunnovabi*** is addicted, we cant play against him" :P or just try to calm her down. why women have to be so temperamental... you sure you're playing onthe right days? :Pmenosdemon

im not sure what you meant by that. but i have an idea P:

come on, you got the joke but you're to embarrassed to admit :P
CoralMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CoralMark
Member since 2008 • 481 Posts

She probably thinks your a jerk because you are boasting about winning and bringing it to the forums to let everyone know you can beat your wife.wooooode

You know, the way you wrote this it didn't sound like he's beating her at video games ... just sayin'.