First Super Paper Mario review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

It appears Play Magazine gave it an 8.5.  Does anyone have any details on this review?

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933012.asp

jbrittain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 jbrittain
Member since 2002 • 2151 Posts

Yeah, I've read the review. The reviewer claims that SPM (Super Paper Mario) is the most beautiful game she's played all year. She also claims that the gameplay is fantastic and has dozens of unique gameplay mechanics that are implemented perfectly. The reason that she took the score down to an 8.5 is because of the story.

The reviewer thought that the story was very good and had great dialogue, but she felt that it wasn't needed. She would have preferred that SPM were like Super Mario 3 where you move from level to level without a story being told in text. She thought that the story elements weighed the game down and messed up the pacing.

mamalaga12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mamalaga12
Member since 2006 • 2175 Posts
wow she seems a bit harsh
rishi44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rishi44
Member since 2005 • 482 Posts
This is kinda good news because play mag usually grades harsh, therefore gamespot's rating is going to be high aa or low aaa (or am i pushing it?)
tar82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 tar82
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts
Looks like a sweet game, but I think I'll rent it first though. I wonder if it's going to look better than the thousand year door.
Avatar image for thegame27_basic
thegame27_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thegame27_basic
Member since 2002 • 1980 Posts

I love stories in my game.  Looks like I will be picking it up on launch.

SmashAndRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 SmashAndRun
Member since 2005 • 444 Posts
8.5 is good. Im getting this game. I loved the N64 and the GCN one so this one should be no different.
Avatar image for chemicalbrother
chemicalbrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chemicalbrother
Member since 2003 • 824 Posts
Ill be buy this for sure. It is my first Paper Mario experience.
Avatar image for decepticondevil
decepticondevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 decepticondevil
Member since 2003 • 3607 Posts
Yeah, I've never played the Paper Mario games either, but I've pre-ordered this one.
bradglimpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bradglimpse
Member since 2003 • 838 Posts
Super Paper Mario is my next game for sure. Thanks for the heads up on the review
robzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robzan
Member since 2006 • 320 Posts

Yeah, I've read the review. The reviewer claims that SPM (Super Paper Mario) is the most beautiful game she's played all year. She also claims that the gameplay is fantastic and has dozens of unique gameplay mechanics that are implemented perfectly. The reason that she took the score down to an 8.5 is because of the story.

The reviewer thought that the story was very good and had great dialogue, but she felt that it wasn't needed. She would have preferred that SPM were like Super Mario 3 where you move from level to level without a story being told in text. She thought that the story elements weighed the game down and messed up the pacing.

jbrittain

Sweet, looking forward to see GameSpot's score of the game. Hmmm, in fact, I might buy this game! :) 

kidrock17xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kidrock17xp
Member since 2004 • 2966 Posts
[QUOTE="jbrittain"]

robzan

Sweet, looking forward to see GameSpot's score of the game. Hmmm, in fact, I might buy this game! :) 

it's a no brainer for me
yoda-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yoda-san
Member since 2006 • 323 Posts
 The score is where it ought to be, but I'd like it if it was higher, but it's oaky. 8.5 rating is great! I am going to buy this game for sure.
NECR0CHILD313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NECR0CHILD313
Member since 2006 • 7025 Posts
It's the only paper Mario game that's captured my attention.
dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts
I'll wait for GS and IGN to review it, not that it really matters im getting it no matter what they say.
Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

jbrittain

Ok let me get this straight.  She graded it down because it had a plot.  I swear some reviewers are straight up rediculous these days.

Adzino91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Adzino91
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts
When i first got my Wii i didnt even think of getting this game, but at the moment, its a must have for me. It willl be my first Paper Mario ever, and i hope i wont be dissapointed with the new gameplay :)
thisguy51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thisguy51
Member since 2006 • 5319 Posts
getting it day one.
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
It will probably get ~9.5 from GS, I mean they gave Warior Ware 9.1 and this games looks so much better. Im really really looking forward to this one.
Avatar image for ColonialMustard
ColonialMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ColonialMustard
Member since 2006 • 318 Posts

jbrittain
The dialogue is the best part of Paper Mario games. It's always so refreshingly funny. Usually the dialogue in games is kinda boring, Paper Mario is the one exception. I'm looking forward to getting this game, and getting an 8.5 is just making me more anxious for it.
jbrittain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 jbrittain
Member since 2002 • 2151 Posts
[QUOTE="jbrittain"]

Firelore29

Ok let me get this straight. She graded it down because it had a plot. I swear some reviewers are straight up rediculous these days.

I agree. It was a very strange reason to downgrade the game, especially when she admitted that the story itself is actually pretty good and well written. This just shows you that you can't really trust any review because they really are all personal opinion.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#22 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It's a good review score I will defenetly get because it's a Mario game and it's a good game.
chisoxrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chisoxrule
Member since 2005 • 2098 Posts
[QUOTE="Firelore29"][QUOTE="jbrittain"]

jbrittain

Ok let me get this straight. She graded it down because it had a plot. I swear some reviewers are straight up rediculous these days.

I agree. It was a very strange reason to downgrade the game, especially when she admitted that the story itself is actually pretty good and well written. This just shows you that you can't really trust any review because they really are all personal opinion.

I remember when Paper Mario 2:TTYD came out Game Informer magazine took off points because of the story and not because they thought it was unneccessary but they didn't like it and they gave it a score in the 7 range.  Its rare when I disagree with their reviews but that is one example.  I predict this one will be in the low 9 range in Gamespot.  Either way I'll be picking this up.:)

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
[QUOTE="jbrittain"]

Firelore29

Yeah i remember reading a Suikoden V review where the reviewer gave it a 6/10 just because it wasn't an action rpg :?

hempforvictory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hempforvictory
Member since 2006 • 261 Posts
[QUOTE="jbrittain"]

Firelore29

I could see that being a legitimate concern since its more of a platformer than an rpg. You might end up getting anxious for a cut scene to be over so that you can continue playing.
Colt_45_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Colt_45_J
Member since 2004 • 93 Posts
she probably didnt like the whole story thing because she didnt play the other paper marios