Fire Emblem RD gets a 6!!!

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

how is that even possible

this is blasphemy, this is MADNESS!!!

It deserves at least an 8

blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

Everything about FE is last gen.. Gamespot seems to place alot of emphasis(and i suppose rightly so) on games offering something "next gen".

Though i think that seems like a pretty low score.. it is a really good FE game, and a 6 hardly conveys that its even worthy for fans of SRPG's or of fire emblem in general.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PhazonBlazer
Need for Speed got a better score than it!!! (6.5)
sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sonic_rusher
Member since 2007 • 2185 Posts
I called this along time ago. I cant say it doesnt deserve a six cause it kinda does.
fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
I found it kind of dull, and I was amazed at how Fire Emblem hasn't changed at all. It's still the same old game it always was, and that's a BAD thing, in my opinion..
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PhazonBlazer

I found it kind of dull, and I was amazed at how Fire Emblem hasn't changed at all. It's still the same old game it always was, and that's a BAD thing, in my opinion..fiscope

so the Fire Emblem formula is one of my favorites!!!

it doesn't need to change!!!

Fire Emblem is still my favorite RPG series!!!

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

The knocks against the story worry me, but I can't tell if it just gets off to a bad start or if the whole thing sucks (impressions, anyone? I still haven't got around to playing it). I wasn't expecting good graphics or motion controls, and I've played enough strategy games that I'm not scared of the difficulty. If the story is ok then the game should be good, but you've got to have a good story for a FE game.

I'd rather Fire Emblem stuck to handhelds so that the graphics don't hamstring the review scores.

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
GS judges games completely off of production values.
NEILMEHTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NEILMEHTA
Member since 2005 • 525 Posts

The knocks against the story worry me, but I can't tell if it just gets off to a bad start or if the whole thing sucks (impressions, anyone? I still haven't got around to playing it). I wasn't expecting good graphics or motion controls, and I've played enough strategy games that I'm not scared of the difficulty. If the story is ok then the game should be good, but you've got to have a good story for a FE game.

I'd rather Fire Emblem stuck to handhelds so that the graphics don't hamstring the review scores.

Archon_basic

I don't get the story. You really need to play the first (which I didn't). But it is a fairly ok story. The difficulty is incredibly hard.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

I was shocked by this myself. A Fire Emblem game getting a score of six?!? I didn't think that was possible, to be honest, since Fire Emblem games tend to be very consistent. This doesn'tseem to be much of an exception, but this one managed to leave a bad impression for this particular review. The issues that were talked about in the review seemed to be more ofa matter of personal preference than any major gameplay flaws. How someone feels about the story, difficultly, and even production values (to an extent) will say something to some people, but not everyone's going to let such areas affect them.

Regardless of this review, this is still a game I'm looking forward to having in my collection one day. :P

yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
for any rpg fan out there, this game is worth taking a look. i had it since last tuesday and im having a blast on it. yeah, it's all last gen here, but the game is still top-noch! im about 22 hours into it and im still having a hard time putting the controller down when i want to go to sleep. :P
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Well if it's any consolation (and it should be) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is at 79% on Metacritic. For those that don't know, Metacritic scores are calculated by averaging out all of a game's reviews. It's a much better indicator of a game's quality than simply relying one review.

akai_reaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 akai_reaver
Member since 2004 • 7754 Posts

Archon_basic

I actually really like the game. My only nitpicks would be the dialogue has gotten weaker, not as detailed characters since the lack of REAL support conversations. That's pretty much it. It's very hard the first few chapters, too. Hardest FE in America yet.

Loving the game.

bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#16 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

Best Fire Emblem to hit our shores so far.

Score aside, the review simply wasn't well written at all. Plus lark very blatently contradicts himself ... Dude gave Disgaea PSP an 8, but knocks Fire Emblem for difficulty and graphical presentation. Seriously. If you've ever played a Fire Emblem game before...this one should be right up your alley. Protect your weak.

He also never made notes of improvements like the narrated scenes between chapters...new terrain effects, etc. GameSpot has become the new bottom-rung of professional reviews as far as credibility in my book. Again...score aside, just not a great review.

Plus they gave Assassin's Creed a 9 when they obviously didn't play the whole game. But that's a whole other can of worms...

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#17 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts

This is absolutely the stupidest review I have ever read in my life. This Lark Anderson or who ever this person is has to be the lamest reviewer EVER. I'm not sure if it is a guy or a girl but it deducted points for not adding mii's, I'm not kidding. It also said it was TOO HARDCORE! Can anyone actually believe that nonsense? The Wii gets bashed for appealing too much to casuals and now GameSpot reviewers cut the score because it's too hardcore? WTH? It did not have to love the game but come on it also said it was too hard even on easy lol. Who is this person and why is it reviewing games when it should be doing nails at a beauty parlor. /end rant.

Bigboi500

I agree, I think he didn't play the first one therefore the story would not make much sense to him. I also think he got angry because he kept losing. It is a hard game though but there is an easy mode too....

Mad_Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mad_Scientist
Member since 2002 • 2830 Posts

Posted this elsewhere, figured I'd post it here too.

Well, maybe I should take the time to better describe my issues with the review. First, some background, I am a fan of the series, and I have not yet played this game. So you might think I'm not in a position to judge at all. However, I do have a very good knowledge of the game, including the entire story, as I was the unfortunate victim of spoilers when trying to find out info about the game after it was released in Japan. So I think I am fairly qualified, but you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you want to.

First, regarding story, well, unless they completely and utterly botched the implementation of it, it's awesome. One of my favorite stories in any game, and a great tribute to those who noticed all those little side details and unanswered questions in PoR. Also, every single other person I've heard about has liked the story overall, even if they had some issues with parts of it. Laughable, terrible,and deserving of the bad story merit? Well, since I haven't experienced it completely for myself, I'll refrain from more comments on story.

Second, regarding graphics and presentation, while neither is anything awesome, they are actually improved quite a bit from PoR. RD is also a in a genre that's never been known for it's great graphics. I really can't complain too much about the review's comments on them, because they aren't that great, but I think it would be a mistake to penalize the game too much for them.

Regarding difficulty, I think they may have overstated how hard it was, and bashed it too much for this. Yes, the easy mode in RD is apparently tougher than the normal mode in PoR... but that's largely due to the confusing way difficulties have changed from the Japanese versions. The "easy" mode is really the Japanese normal mode, from what I understand. Perhaps this was a mistake, as it gives a false impression regarding difficulty compared to the US Fire Emblem releases. People who handled normal mode in PoR might think they are in for the same experience in the "normal" mode in RD.I can't fully comment on difficulty, but I think most people with experience with the Fire Emblem games haven't had too much trouble if they played on "easy." And since this is a sequel, I don't think it's too horrible if it's a bigger challenge than it's previous entry.

Regarding lack of Wii features, well, Mii integration would make no sense. Online would be hard to do in a game like Fire Emblem. It might be possible, but does anyone know of any Strategy RPGs with a good online mode that really added to the game? Maybe if the single-player game wasn't so massive, lack of online would be a bigger complaint. And as for lack of pointing or motion, the only thing you could add to Fire Emblem that wouldn't drastically change the game would be pointing to move units and select menu items. Would be nice as an option, but not a huge thing. I mean, if Advance Wars Duel Strike had forced you to use the D-pad to move units, would it have really been that bad a thing?

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

Its a gamecube game with slightly better sound why are people surprised it got a 6:?

Looked like crap when I saw the gameplay video.

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cobrax80
I Agree with Mad_scientist, that pretty much says it all
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts
I dont know, the story issue is important to me, i really like the epic story that PoR got, and i prefer something bigger than just 4 stories with different characters and no relation between them, is obvious that the visuals, gameplay and improves doesn't matter in this kind of games, but the story have to be their most important issue. I dont know about this game, GS really kill my hype for it.
Eragont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eragont
Member since 2006 • 1933 Posts

its a great game,

1. difficulty is one of the best reasons to play a fire emblem game.

2. the story is fantastic it keeps me wanting to play all night. a friend of mine played on easy just so he could find out about the story faster, hes gonna play normal after, but he has 35 hours logged on easy and loves the story.

Eragont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eragont
Member since 2006 • 1933 Posts
I dont know, the story issue is important to me, i really like the epic story that PoR got, and i prefer something bigger than just 4 stories with different characters and no relation between them, is obvious that the visuals, gameplay and improves doesn't matter in this kind of games, but the story have to be their most important issue. I dont know about this game, GS really kill my hype for it.madsnakehhh
thas just one review, its a great game, its average review score is 7.9 on metacritic, probobly would be a 8 if not for GS. so dont let this review spoil it for you, its awesome.
Mad_Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mad_Scientist
Member since 2002 • 2830 Posts

I dont know, the story issue is important to me, i really like the epic story that PoR got, and i prefer something bigger than just 4 stories with different characters and no relation between them, is obvious that the visuals, gameplay and improves doesn't matter in this kind of games, but the story have to be their most important issue. I dont know about this game, GS really kill my hype for it.madsnakehhh

That's not what the story's like, believe me. I believe one person compared it the LOTR books, and how the focus shifts to different locations and characters, but it's all part of the same overall story.

sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sonic_rusher
it got what was coming. Some of the features the wii has would have been really nice and that scripted still fram sequences just have to go.
Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
I Agree with Mad_scientist, that pretty much says it allcobrax80

Agreed. Honestly, i am upset they don't have support convos like before. Reading abuot Illyana always being hungry and such was hilarous, and you really got to know each character. But i'm sure the story will suffice. Difficulty, Normal in PoR was REALLY easy... Hard i'll admit was pretty hard, but nothing "overwhelming".
spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts

I love strategy games and this is one of the best! End of story!

ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#28 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
it doesnt matter i dont come 2 gs for reviews much i'm still get it does not matter
sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sonic_rusher

it doesnt matter i dont come 2 gs for reviews much i'm still get it does not matterljlrj

GS is the biggest gaming site in the world. I kinda understand this review though it is harsh but if it was wrong then I understand why they are angry. GS literally affects the success of games, and if FE does not sell well they will give even less effort than they did for this game.

ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#30 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts

[QUOTE="ljlrj"]it doesnt matter i dont come 2 gs for reviews much i'm still get it does not mattersonic_rusher

GS is the biggest gaming site in the world. I kinda understand this review though it is harsh but if it was wrong then I understand why they are angry. GS literally affects the success of games, and if FE does not sell well they will give even less effort than they did for this game.

gs dont effect how an game sells i perfer wat the people have 2 say inthe reviews cuz they buy games gs justreviews them

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cobrax80

Well if it's any consolation (and it should be) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is at 79% on Metacritic. For those that don't know, Metacritic scores are calculated by averaging out all of a game's reviews. It's a much better indicator of a game's quality than simply relying one review.

-wildflower-

It got over 82% on gamerankings. I consider these average sites more reliable than each individual review site.

Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

it got what was coming. Some of the features the wii has would have been really nice and that scripted still fram sequences just have to go.sonic_rusher
New features are always good.

I understand if a game is good some people want it to stay largely the same, that's fine but when games recycle the same content over and over again I find it ridiculous that developers charge $50 for a game that's similar as another one that you already paid another $50 for over two years ago.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
It's official -- GameSpot doesn't know how to review a f[rench toast]ing game. I enjoyed this game more than Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, and Twilight Princess. Maybe the reviewer was just too stupid to make it through a chapter without losing a character. Or has trouble reading the between-chapter storyboards (which some of us enjoy over a cutscene) *sigh* It's sad how some people just can't handle using a little brain power.
sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sonic_rusher
[QUOTE="sonic_rusher"]

[QUOTE="ljlrj"]it doesnt matter i dont come 2 gs for reviews much i'm still get it does not matterljlrj

gs dont effect how an game sells i perfer wat the people have 2 say inthe reviews cuz they buy games gs justreviews them

your not the majority dude

NitroSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NitroSpark
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

PhazonBlazer
This is Sparta!
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
expected really, the game offers litrally NOTHING new :?
Ulti_ma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ulti_ma
Member since 2006 • 490 Posts

PhazonBlazer

Nice so true. I am curious, a lot of people may have noticed this already, but doesn't it seem like GS is very anti-nintendo? I understand a lot of Nintendo games on Wii are quite bad, but they seems quite Xbox bias. Fire Emblem is an awesome series and the list goes on for all the bad reviews Nintendo gets. Zelda anyone?

sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sonic_rusher

expected really, the game offers litrally NOTHING new :?nintendo-4life

thats what im saying

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FFXIsAstyanax
expected really, the game offers litrally NOTHING new :?nintendo-4life

You could suggest the same for Halo 3, but GS's got its nose far up that game's colon. In fact, that applies to almost every sequel out there these days (FF, MGS, GTA, SMB, etc). You can't expect a drastic change for every single game, or you'll always be disappointed (especially with FF games). At least the Fire Emblem series is fun to play.
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

I found it kind of dull, and I was amazed at how Fire Emblem hasn't changed at all. It's still the same old game it always was, and that's a BAD thing, in my opinion..fiscope

I've never played a FE game, so I'm glad the formula hasn't changed. I might pick this game up :) I'm also something of an old-school gamer at times... so I don't mind tired forumlas (if they're good ones).

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Please don't listen to anymore of gamespots BS.

1up 9/10

EGM 9/9/8.5

Nintendo Power 9.5

GamesTM 8/10

IGN 8.0 (Even that was a bad review - teh OMG it doesn't use teh pointer - points)

Hell even GameInformer gave it a 7/10. But Gamespot :? 6.0 Passable :? "No Mii Support=fail" oh it's "too hardcore" try the easy mode...

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Not really sure how I feel about it. I'm not a fan of the series because I think the formula is dreadful. But I know they are really pretty good games for fans. Plus all the other scores for this game are pretty good so a 6? I'm inclined to think that's a little harsh.

Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
I think that review was way too harsh. I bought the game as soon as it came out and i have been playing it on normal. It is difficult but if battle save is utilized the game should be that much easier. Plus i'm not sure but some of your stats and items may transfer from the orginal gamecube game. In addition they have improved the detail on many of the characters this also includes the cg scenes. They game remains consistant in alot of ways with its predacessor but it also differs as well. I enjoyed playing the game from different points of view because that way your never using the same units over and over again. They could enhance the graphics of the battle scenes but if you want to make good time in the game you probably will keep it on the map only setting anyway. In terms of the support system im still trying to get used to that but one of my favorite parts of the game was the return of the greil mercenarys. To me this game deserved at least an 8 because i noticed not bugs so far, the graphics though nothing new aren't bad either. It may not incorporate online support, or the wii controller but thats fine by me because its the story and gameplay that make that story worth while and putting those things in this game would just be weaken the experience. This reviewer was way too harsh and i hope he doesn't deter anyone from at least renting the game. Someone on one of these forums said that in japan that this game was made for the cube in japan and we got it for the wii over here. I dont know if that was true but the first fire emblem for the cube was my favorite gamecube game and this one didn't disappoint. If nothing else please rent it and form your own oppinion.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PhazonBlazer

Posted this elsewhere, figured I'd post it here too.

Well, maybe I should take the time to better describe my issues with the review. First, some background, I am a fan of the series, and I have not yet played this game. So you might think I'm not in a position to judge at all. However, I do have a very good knowledge of the game, including the entire story, as I was the unfortunate victim of spoilers when trying to find out info about the game after it was released in Japan. So I think I am fairly qualified, but you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you want to.

First, regarding story, well, unless they completely and utterly botched the implementation of it, it's awesome. One of my favorite stories in any game, and a great tribute to those who noticed all those little side details and unanswered questions in PoR. Also, every single other person I've heard about has liked the story overall, even if they had some issues with parts of it. Laughable, terrible,and deserving of the bad story merit? Well, since I haven't experienced it completely for myself, I'll refrain from more comments on story.

Second, regarding graphics and presentation, while neither is anything awesome, they are actually improved quite a bit from PoR. RD is also a in a genre that's never been known for it's great graphics. I really can't complain too much about the review's comments on them, because they aren't that great, but I think it would be a mistake to penalize the game too much for them.

Regarding difficulty, I think they may have overstated how hard it was, and bashed it too much for this. Yes, the easy mode in RD is apparently tougher than the normal mode in PoR... but that's largely due to the confusing way difficulties have changed from the Japanese versions. The "easy" mode is really the Japanese normal mode, from what I understand. Perhaps this was a mistake, as it gives a false impression regarding difficulty compared to the US Fire Emblem releases. People who handled normal mode in PoR might think they are in for the same experience in the "normal" mode in RD.I can't fully comment on difficulty, but I think most people with experience with the Fire Emblem games haven't had too much trouble if they played on "easy." And since this is a sequel, I don't think it's too horrible if it's a bigger challenge than it's previous entry.

Regarding lack of Wii features, well, Mii integration would make no sense. Online would be hard to do in a game like Fire Emblem. It might be possible, but does anyone know of any Strategy RPGs with a good online mode that really added to the game? Maybe if the single-player game wasn't so massive, lack of online would be a bigger complaint. And as for lack of pointing or motion, the only thing you could add to Fire Emblem that wouldn't drastically change the game would be pointing to move units and select menu items. Would be nice as an option, but not a huge thing. I mean, if Advance Wars Duel Strike had forced you to use the D-pad to move units, would it have really been that bad a thing?

Mad_Scientist

who wanted Mii integration?

and about online play it would have been good but no wifi doesnt make it a bad game

zespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zespair
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

Well i thought the GCN fir emblem was alot better...

zespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zespair
Member since 2007 • 26 Posts

It is anti nintendo......it really sucks cuz im all about nintendo!!!!

the zelda series is the best....but alot of the time they dont get the proper attention they deserve

mrjam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 mrjam0
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

r u looking at the gamespot reviews again? didnt anyone tell u not to do that?

GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts
I haven't played Radiant Dawn, but I own and have played Path of Radiance (loved it). I very much doubt this game would feel like a '6' if I were to pick it up. I'm still rooting for this game. I don't care what other gamers and reviewers think of it. If I had a Wii I would have picked it up on the week it was released.
sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sonic_rusher

GUYS!!!!!

They arent giving it a 6.0 because it does not have Miis. They are just giving us a feel of how much FE still feels like its GBA counterpart. The game is good but it deserves such a score if they are refusing to change. THIS DOES NOT MEAN BREAK A FORMULA. It means not giving us walls of text and say that our story folks!, this means taking advatage of a very useful function that is changing games every where and thats the IR which could have sped up and the play on there tremendously, another thing to think about is multiplayer think of how many skilled FE players are out there and how awsome of ashowdowns they could be.

The only things they change are small streategic content tweaks. We need more and I am hoping that their devs will listen and make a game that makes huge strides for a sequal but does not hurt the formula.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FFXIsAstyanax

GUYS!!!!!

They arent giving it a 6.0 because it does not have Miis. They are just giving us a feel of how much FE still feels like its GBA counterpart. The game is good but it deserves such a score if they are refusing to change. THIS DOES NOT MEAN BREAK A FORMULA. It means not giving us walls of text and say that our story folks!, this means taking advatage of a very useful function that is changing games every where and thats the IR which could have sped up and the play on there tremendously, another thing to think about is multiplayer think of how many skilled FE players are out there and how awsome of ashowdowns they could be.

The only things they change are small streategic content tweaks. We need more and I am hoping that their devs will listen and make a game that makes huge strides for a sequal but does not hurt the formula.

sonic_rusher

This game is the best one yet and deserves at least what FE9 got. A 6 may not be an abysmal score, but it's an injustice compared to some certain games' marks on rival consoles.

The game doesn't need to alter its between-scene readings. I actually prefer them over something like FF's unpausable and usually unskippable cutscenes.

Making use of the pointer in the Wiimote would have been a BAD idea. It works ok for some games, but would just get tedious with grid and menu selections in FE. In the end, the default control scheme works just fine. Either way, though, GS would have found something to gripe about.

Multiplayer is ok, but still not a great idea. The multiplayer in FE would be based mainly on your team and not your tactics. So once you've beat someone or lost to them a few times, there's not much to change the gameplay formula other than starting over a new game. I don't know anyone who would play completely through an FE game just to play a couple quick multiplayer bouts.

Path of Radiance was by no means a bad game. And Radiant Dawn picked up where its predecessor left off -- improving the few aspects that needed work. I can see it only as an improvement, not a disappointment.