Fatal Frame eShop Only in America, Launches October 22nd

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

And the first few sections of the game will be free to try!

Pretty bummed about it not being physical, this game went from something I was definitely going to get this fall to something I might try in a few years if I'm bored. =/ Better than not getting it at all, I guess...

Look at the nice bundle Europe is getting.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 323 Posts

I think it is a good Idea to let people try out the first part to see if they like it or not. The non physical copies part does not bother me as I already buy my games off the Eshop anyway.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Darn Europeans gettin' all the fancy-shmancy stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Ill be trying this game out, love that Nintendo acquired the IP and cant wait to see how its received in America.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Aquat1cF1sh said:

Pretty bummed about it not being physical, this game went from something I was definitely going to get this fall to something I might try in a few years if I'm bored. =/ Better than not getting it at all, I guess...

its a niche title on a console with a very small install base. itll probably sell half a million in North America, if they are lucky. I understand why they wouldnt want to risk losing money over product costs and distribution of physical copies, but still it sucks. I want this game and I like physical copies.

At least the first few chapters are free though, that's pretty dope. Nice marketing strategy to get people to try it, get hooked, and impulse buy. That's what will probably happen to me honestly. and its 10 dollars cheaper than a standard priced game.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'll get it along with Star Fox and maybe Devil's Third. I'm more interested in Xenoblade than those though

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Noa continues to suck. I'll try the demo though, and if I like it and they eventually make a physical copy, i'll get it then.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

What I find rather peculiar is how Fatal Frame is getting the digital-only treatment while Devil's Third will be available at retail. I can't figure that out, honestly. It's not as if either game is poised to be a major hit on the Wii U and it's audience, and between the two M-rated games, Fatal Frame is not only an established series, but the game also looks more promising and better suited around the system's strengths. Just something that was on my mind and wanted to get out.

I'll give the demo a go when it's released; I've played a Fatal Frame game in the past, but I don't remember much about the experience to say if it's something I like or dislike. Buying the game isn't likely for me, but I'm willing to be wrong if this installment leaves a strong, positive impression.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@Madmangamer364: I think Nintendo is gauging how it will be received. This is Nintendos IP, so they are handling all the cost of translating it, etc

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Boycotting the game just because there is no retail version is a very silly and nerdy thing to do.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Madmangamer364

@mesome713 said:

@Madmangamer364: I think Nintendo is gauging how it will be received. This is Nintendos IP, so they are handling all the cost of translating it, etc

I could buy that argument if this was the first game in the series under Nintendo's watch; however, it seems odd that NOA would even ok a digital Wii U installment when it didn't support the previous installment on the far more successful Wii at all. Now, Nintendo's handling a more expensive game with a smaller chance of seeing a favorable reception not only because of the much smaller Wii U userbase, but also because of the lack of retail presence. Plus, it still does quite explain why the likes of Devil's Third or even Bayonetta 2 have been given the retail treatment when they really had/have no better chance of being hits on the system than Fatal Frame; they're all unproven IPs on Nintendo's platforms, with FF still being the easiest to measure.

My opinion is that those who want this game bad enough are going to support it regardless, but if it's a matter of gauging interest here, there have been more sound alternatives for Nintendo to take I believe.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm happy it's coming, but I'm sure going to be missing that retail version. I like having my games on the shelf.

Azure64bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Azure64bit
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

@Aquat1cF1sh said:

NoE > NoA

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I was never able to lay down the cash for a game in this series (Fatal Frame). Fatal Frame games were hard to find new, and almost as expensive when found used. The camera obscura is an intriguing concept, but the horror genre is hit and miss for me. I liked the gameplay of House of the Dead Overkill and finished it, but the story was shockingly tasteless. I liked the story of Resident Evil: Code Veronica and finished the game, but the gameplay was terrible. I finished Silent Hill 2 which had a good story and gameplay, but was too scary and depressing. House of the Dead 2 and 3 Returns and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles are my favorites, but I can't finish them because they are too hard. Resident Evil 4 is too scary to finish.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

limited (physical) release in EU/AU ..for Fatal Frame 5: Maiden of Black Water...gonna preorder this. :P

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

All Reggie and NOA do to me is make me wish I lived in EU. I can't believe we get disrespected so much when the NA market is their biggest.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@Madmangamer364: Its rather simple to understand,Fatal Frame is a very japanese aimed horror franchise with a female lead, all sides of the description typically means it wont go over well in NA. On the other hand Devil's Third--a violent action game, starring a generic tough guy, while still not much of a chance on the fledgling Wii U, has a better chance than Fatal Frame I believe.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Madmangamer364

@Sepewrath: That's one way of viewing it, and if we were talking another console, I would totally buy what you were saying. The Wii U, much like basically any Nintendo platform in regards to the tried-and-true notions, just isn't that easy to sum up. While we are talking about the North America audience here, I still think it's worth noting that between the two genres, Survival Horror games have been just as successful as -if not more than- the tough guy action games on Nintendo platforms in recent years. Neither genre is ever going to flourish on a Nintendo system, but it's not like one is a safer bet than the other. Even the Japanese-centric nature or female-lead cast don't do much to help or hurt the dynamics here, as we know that titles featuring either of the two can be successful.

If I had to bet money on which game would do better between Fatal Frame 5 and Devil's Third at this juncture, I'm still backing Fatal Frame here because in large part because of the very factors that have been mentioned by both of us and how Nintendo systems are usually BackwardsLand as far as the rest of the industry is concerned when it comes to what will be successful. The fact that FF5 appears to be more polished and use the Gamepad in a seemingly interesting way is just icing on the cake here. It's just odd that one game would get full backing and the other one would see less support, especially when neither title is destined to be mulit-million sellers.

Just my two cents... :P